TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

OAO No Way Out Thread, Feb/19th/2006

I guess I just can't help but wonder what purpose it would serve to have Chavo, Vicki, and the Eddie's kids at ringside and then not have Rey win.

Orton's current heatless state must scare the holy hell out of the company.

Despite the fact that Rey won the Rumble, and the winner of the Rumble has gotten the main event slot at every WM since 11, I doubt they'll actually put Orton/Angle on last. There is, after all, the small matter of Vince's Son-in-Law vs. the Company's Idea of What a Top Face Should Be.

I'm tempted to buy WM just to see the Chicago crowd shit all over the card.

Austin didn't main even WMXIII and McMahon didn't main event WMXV.

I guess I just can't help but wonder what purpose it would serve to have Chavo, Vicki, and the Eddie's kids at ringside and then not have Rey win.

Orton's current heatless state must scare the holy hell out of the company.

Despite the fact that Rey won the Rumble, and the winner of the Rumble has gotten the main event slot at every WM since 11, I doubt they'll actually put Orton/Angle on last. There is, after all, the small matter of Vince's Son-in-Law vs. the Company's Idea of What a Top Face Should Be.

Austin didn't main even WMXIII and McMahon didn't main event WMXV.

I was thinking the same thing. But in both those cases, it was the heel cheaply winning(in Austin's case, he didn't even really win), but in Rey's case, it'd be so demeaning to the value of the Rumble, seeing as he won fairly, if he doesn't get his title shot. And I'll just say Rey winning the Rumble was the first time in a long time I actually marked out for something in wrestling.

Yeah, Austin didn't even actually win the 97 Rumble since he was tossed and came back in illegally. And Vince in 1999...well it was obvious he couldn't main event WM (not to mention he didn't even participate in the Rumble, but mostly did commentary outside the ring).

But Rey? There's no reason for him not to main event. In fact I am the only person who is going out on a limb here and predicting Rey to somehow retain his shot at WM, or be in the match in some way.

Yeah, Austin didn't even actually win the 97 Rumble since he was tossed and came back in illegally. And Vince in 1999...well it was obvious he couldn't main event WM (not to mention he didn't even participate in the Rumble, but mostly did commentary outside the ring).

But Rey? There's no reason for him not to main event. In fact I am the only person who is going out on a limb here and predicting Rey to somehow retain his shot at WM, or be in the match in some way.

I just thought of this: that it'd be like Owen beating Shawn in 96 to win the title shot at Mania.....storyline-wise anyway(not to say Orton's anywhere near comparable to Owen). I just mean imagine the injustice the casual fan would've seen in Shawn losing his shot.

This situation is more like when Angle beat HHH for the #1 contender spot at NWO 02. Of course, HHH just beat Angle easily the next night on Raw with the same stipulations and the whole thing was forgotten.

Guest Desperate Housewife
There is, after all, the small matter of Vince's Son-in-Law vs. the Company's Idea of What a Top Face Should Be.

You don't even KNOW the card - and yet you're predicting the crowd will crap on it. Some "fan" you are

This situation is more like when Angle beat HHH for the #1 contender spot at NWO 02. Of course, HHH just beat Angle easily the next night on Raw with the same stipulations and the whole thing was forgotten.

Exactly. When I found out that Angle had won the match my first thought (and I'm sure alot of fans to) was that Angle was losing it back on RAW. And lo and behold it happens.

If Rey is going to Raw after Mania, he shouldn't be winning the belt at Mania, and if he isn't going to win the belt at Mania, he shouldn't even be there in the main event. What I'd do is have Rey win at No Way Out or end in an "unsatisfactory" conclusion like a no-contest or whatever. They either then make it a triple threat with Angle or Orton winning OR they have Rey lose the title shot on a special Smackdown or SNME (since they have the SD logo so it's presumably presented by both shows).

Mark my words, Rey will win. no pun intended.

:huh:

I really don't want to get this PPV since I only been following Smackdown online, but I'm bored as Hell and I don't have to be at work until "late" (9:00am) tomorrow.

On a scale of 1 - 10 how does everyone think this card will be?

6. The Orton/Rey stuff will surprise as far as in-ring stuff is concern but the outside events with the Vicki+Kids cutaways will just drag the show to a halt.

Undertaker/Angle have worked good stuff together and bad stuff, it all depends on 'Takers motivation and Angle's health. Both are always questionable.

Benoit/Booker, while OVER-DONE still stands to be solid, the cruiserweight match should be fun and watching Matt's partner interact with MnM will be interesting.

I'd give it a 5.

Rey vs Orton - im interested in

Benoit vs Booker - ok i guess

taker vs angle - don't really care

cruisers - kinda wanna watch it

heat- Boogeyman!!! vs Simon Dean - *****

How someone can not be excited about Benoit/Booker confuses me.

The funniest guy in WWE has done awesome commentary and KNOWS he can't beat Benoit clean, so he has a sub. win the freakin' title, continues to fake an extended injury, pisses Benoit off, puts over freakin' FINLAY on commentary, brings up the GWF, and...

Uh oh. There's a PPV title defense. Against Benoit. Who I can't beat. And there's no way out of it.

What a blowoff. Should be awesome, if Booker's healthy.

The funniest guy in WWE has done awesome commentary and KNOWS he can't beat Benoit clean, so he has a sub. win the freakin' title, continues to fake an extended injury, pisses Benoit off, puts over freakin' FINLAY on commentary, brings up the GWF, and...

Uh oh. There's a PPV title defense. Against Benoit. Who I can't beat. And there's no way out of it.

That's 1/2 the reason for the lack of interest. Also, it's because we have seen this match over a million times. The fact they have worked this many times and never really had a supposed "awesome" match doesn't help. They had good and solid matches but nothing approaching awesome.

I liked the Kurt Angle package they showed.

Indeed.

Boogey beats Simon of course

Understandable. However, for the newer, younger fans who support Benoit, and haven't seen Booker/Benoit outside of their aborted WWE Best of 7 matches, I think tonight will be an emotional and meaningful bout. I think it's been built extremely well given Booker's situation, and that we're just spoiled by seeing them work too many times.

Guest Dr Stupid

That's 1/2 the reason for the lack of interest. Also, it's because we have seen this match over a million times. The fact they have worked this many times and never really had a supposed "awesome" match doesn't help. They had good and solid matches but nothing approaching awesome.

To me, it's the most interesting part of Smackdown at the moment. And if they do it right, they could set up something good for WM.

Tonight, it should either be Benoit beating the injured Booker quickly in 5-6 minutes or Booker, whom turns out to have "faked" the injury turns it on and they have a 12-15 minute war.

I still think they will do the obvious Eddie Guerrero Memorial match with Benoit and Rey, I just don't think it needs the US Title for it.

I'd find a way for Booker to retain the title, only for Finlay to beat him for the title next week and do Regal/Burchill/Finlay/JBL @ Mania for the title.

cruisers start it out

Do you think WWE has the balls to turn Taker heel this week on Smackdown!, start a program with a dejected Rey, and claim he's holding Eddie's soul hostage or some stupid nonsense?

Because Taker and Rey kinda lack opponents for Mania. I've heard Taker/Henry but Taker embarassed Henry already on free TV.

I think Henry inadvertantly helps Angle retain tonight, but Rey/Taker would be amazing, and has only been done once. Talk about the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM for Rey. Beat Taker at WM or lose Eddie's soul.

cruisers start it out

It seems to always be the case for a Smackdown PPV, doesn't it?

CW matches either open a ppv, or go before the main event. I rarely see it do otherwise.

this would be better as an elimination match

Do you think WWE has the balls to turn Taker heel this week on Smackdown!, start a program with a dejected Rey, and claim he's holding Eddie's soul hostage or some stupid nonsense?

Because Taker and Rey kinda lack opponents for Mania. I've heard Taker/Henry but Taker embarassed Henry already on free TV.

I think Henry inadvertantly helps Angle retain tonight, but Rey/Taker would be amazing, and has only been done once. Talk about the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM for Rey. Beat Taker at WM or lose Eddie's soul.

As I said before, Rey and Benoit will probably be doing a "Eddie Memorial" match. Already doing 'Taker/Henry likely doesn't stop anything.

I don't get why you people would expect this to get 15-20 minutes.

None of the cruiserweights, if any, are particularly over with the crowd. They pop for the occassional Dropsault or Super Crazy Moonsault but have no emotional connection to ***ANY*** of the cruisers in this match.