TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ANKLELOCK

ECW One Night Stand II-It's Official

That's so stupid. Joey Styles is paid to announce and put over the product of the company he's working for. How come he got a free pass from people like Rudo when he was announcing for ECW, but when he goes to work for WWE, he suddenly becomes a whore? I think people put a little too much stock into the legend of ECW, and how everyone there was doing it because they loved the company so much. They were doing it to make a living, just like anyone in WCW or WWF. Yeah, some of them stuck around because they were loyal, but they still had jobs to do.

From what I've read, yeah, Styles was making good money in sales or whatever before signing with WWE, which means they probably offered him a very good deal. Not too hard to figure out.

Because Styles himself has said he made more money outside the wrestling business but he loved it too much to just leave it for good. Factor in how quickly Styles jumped to take the WWE contract and how desperate WWE was after Goldberg denied the contract... Styles is making decent change and would be a real idiot to say the wrong things.

He used to bash WWE because he was catering to Heyman and the ECW fanbase. Rudo is right, Styles is a whore.

Because Styles himself has said he made more money outside the wrestling business but he loved it too much to just leave it for good. Factor in how quickly Styles jumped to take the WWE contract and how desperate WWE was after Goldberg denied the contract... Styles is making decent change and would be a real idiot to say the wrong things.

He used to bash WWE because he was catering to Heyman and the ECW fanbase. Rudo is right, Styles is a whore.

He's working for less money...but he's a whore.

Something doesn't add up there, guys.

He's working for less money...but he's a whore.

Something doesn't add up there, guys.

Being a whore doesn't just include how much money you make.

Doing something because you love it doesn't make you a whore, and taking a PAY CUT to do something you love doesn't make you a whore.

Edited by Y2Jerk

Joey Styles used to write columns bashing the WWE and Sports Entertainment and now he not only works for them, but he spews out the stuff he used to make fun of. That's being a whore. Plus, Joey turned down the WWE before because his marketing job paid him more than they were offering him. That probably changed when the WWE got rid of Ross and the replacements (Coach and King) sucked balls. They offered Joey the right price to sell whatever principles he was trying to say he had.

Joey never got a "free pass" when he was announcing for ECW, most of us just thought that the guy honestly felt the way he did and wasn't fed the information. It's clear now Joey is nothing more than a puppet and has absolutely no credibility to speak of.

Joey Styles used to write columns bashing the WWE and Sports Entertainment and now he not only works for them, but he spews out the stuff he used to make fun of. That's being a whore.

Being a whore and being a hypocrite aren't the same thing.

Plus, Joey turned down the WWE before because his marketing job paid him more than they were offering him. That probably changed when the WWE got rid of Ross and the replacements (Coach and King) sucked balls. They offered Joey the right price to sell whatever principles he was trying to say he had.

This statement is merely speculation masquerading as fact, since you don't know how much he was offered.

Actually I think it's speculation that's supposed to be speculation. If he was trying to make it look like a fact, he wouldn't have added the probably in.

Joey Styles used to write columns bashing the WWE and Sports Entertainment and now he not only works for them, but he spews out the stuff he used to make fun of. That's being a whore.

Being a whore and being a hypocrite aren't the same thing.

Actually...

whore (hôr, hōr) pronunciation

n.

1. A prostitute.

2. A person considered sexually promiscuous.

3. A person considered as having compromised principles for personal gain.

When it comes to whoring yourself, the personal gain in question has to have some monetary value that the person wasn't getting otherwise. If someone is losing money by taking a job for WWE (whicvh some reports suggest he was), then that isn't personal gain. Unless you can prove he was offered more money than he was previously making to work for WWE, your argument cannot be proven.

You know, unless you can prove that I don't know why Joey turned down the previous offers*, then your argument cannot be proven.

(*one offer in 1995 but he turned down because it meant leaving his job at News Corp, another in 2001 because "they couldn't come to terms on a full time deal", but Joey was willing to work part-time because it meant he could keep his full-time marketing job. According to Joey Styles' interview on WWE.com, which I didn't read, because -according to Y2Jerk- I don't know why he turned down the offer)

Dave says that Styles does very well in his advertising job, so they

would have to offer him a lot of money to work full time.

- WOL

Joey has constantly stated that his job in Atlanta selling advertising was something he wouldn't leave, so if he is this close to signing with WWE, they must be making him a substantial long term offer, which Dave Meltzer reports that they are. Wade Keller reports that as of now, Styles may be being offered a three year deal, with a low figure for the first year while the waters are tested, and substantial increases in pay for the next two years.
- Pro Wrestling Chronicle

Shifting to fantasy booking for this show...

If Cena ends up in the ME spot instead of HHH with RVD (which I hope doesn't happen, but as of now that's the plan per Observer and Torch) then perhaps they could go with a tag match of Funk and Cactus representing ECW vs. the newly reformed DX representing WWE/Attitude era. Either that or Cactus/Funk vs JBL/HHH- two guys who would get super heat vs. the ECW faithful.

Shifting to fantasy booking for this show...

If Cena ends up in the ME spot instead of HHH with RVD (which I hope doesn't happen, but as of now that's the plan per Observer and Torch) then perhaps they could go with a tag match of Funk and Cactus representing ECW vs. the newly reformed DX representing WWE/Attitude era. Either that or Cactus/Funk vs JBL/HHH- two guys who would get super heat vs. the ECW faithful.

I think a Sandman/Dreamer combo against JBL/HHH would be more likely and serve as a more compelling match up (just for the Sandman/JBL interactions alone) However, if they did that match...I hope they bring up the Funk/Bradshaw partnership from a few years ago as a catalyst for this match.

I would love to see Jericho and Storm have another match. The match they had last year was really good and only 7 minutes, so double their time and see what can happen. The impression I got from Storm's ROH shoot is he would do the show if he was booked in a match he thought was of worth, but who knows where Jericho stands on ONS II.

I would love to see Jericho and Storm have another match. The match they had last year was really good and only 7 minutes, so double their time and see what can happen. The impression I got from Storm's ROH shoot is he would do the show if he was booked in a match he thought was of worth, but who knows where Jericho stands on ONS II.

I would hate to see Storm, return for yet another Jericho match. Storm, is working very limited shots and I'd perfer different people. If he signs the ECW deal, he can't work ROH anymore and he expressed strong interest in another show with them.

Fair enough. I never really considered that people like Storm, if brought in for this show, might be persuaded to sign for the new ECW, but you make a great point. It would be nice if WWE's "ECW" contracts allowed for indy work (like the "announcer contracts") since it won't have it's own dedicated show at this time, but we shall see.

Here is some news regarding ECW ONS II via The Torch...

The latest indications are that One Night Stand's headline match will be Rob Van Dam challenging JBL for the Smackdown World Title. That would require JBL beating Rey Mysterio for the title between now and the weeks leading up to the PPV. RVD would in this situation keep the Money in the Bank stip, drag out his decision on cashing it in at the ECW PPV until after the title change, and once JBL won the title and antagonized the ECW fans and brand, RVD would choose to face him at the PPV. JBL was the top heel in last year's ECW angle, so it would make sense in that respect to utilize him in the main event rather than introduce Edge (who has no previous ECW ties) or Triple H (who is clearly on the path to turning babyface, so being booed against RVD would make no sense) or John Cena (who isn't a good fit with RVD in the ring).

Thoughts?

Edge was part of the WWE group, but JBL had all the heat and was the face for the WWE led invader group.

Since they love to shoot when it suits them, they can drag the Blue Meanie situation out as well.

JBL?

That fucking sucks. I'd rather see Trevor Murdoch fight RVD in the main event than JBL. He will slow RVD down to a degree where the crowd will boo both men out of the building. JBL even gave Benoit a boring-as-shit match at WrestleMania that was less entertaining than select matches from the Booker T/Benoit rivalry (hard to do).

Unless JBL uses shortcuts (blading, weapons), an RVD/JBL match would be a disaster.

Gotta love how Meanie beat JBL in the ring, and then basically disappeared right after that.

I think RVD vs JBL makes the most sense. I mean, I doubt we'd see Triple H job to RVD, especially on an ECW PPV. WWE probably doesn't want to make Cena a full-fledged heel yet, which he would be on an ECW PPV as the WWE Champion.

You know, unless you can prove that I don't know why Joey turned down the previous offers*, then your argument cannot be proven.

(*one offer in 1995 but he turned down because it meant leaving his job at News Corp, another in 2001 because "they couldn't come to terms on a full time deal", but Joey was willing to work part-time because it meant he could keep his full-time marketing job. According to Joey Styles' interview on WWE.com, which I didn't read, because -according to Y2Jerk- I don't know why he turned down the offer)

Dave says that Styles does very well in his advertising job, so they

would have to offer him a lot of money to work full time.

- WOL

Joey has constantly stated that his job in Atlanta selling advertising was something he wouldn't leave, so if he is this close to signing with WWE, they must be making him a substantial long term offer, which Dave Meltzer reports that they are. Wade Keller reports that as of now, Styles may be being offered a three year deal, with a low figure for the first year while the waters are tested, and substantial increases in pay for the next two years.
- Pro Wrestling Chronicle

I'm glad to see that you've made a hobby of keeping track of speculation over Joey Style's employment history.