TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KGB

NHL Thread

The B's mainly moved Samsonov because of his FA status, and they were afraid to lose him for nothing at the end of the season. Instead they moved him for another player that's not worth having.

Can someone confirm for me if Reasoner is a FA at year's end? (or at least point me to a page that has player's salaries & contract details, so I don't have to keep asking you all repeatedly)

Dean McAmmond is also an Oiler. Edmonton's pretty fuckin serious about getting good aren't they? They're a team I don't want to see.

The fact is that if Roloson doesn't work out, they're up the creek. I half-expected them to move for another goalie.

I don't see the logic in giving up a 1st round pick for a 36 year old like Roloson. Doesn't make too much sense.

The Kings dealt Yannick Lehoux for Tim Jackman, that's a little minor league thing. I'm glad the Kings could find someone to take that bust.

Most of the Oilers deals are broken by the radio, so I don't even know for sure if they're real. The Samsonov one is, the McAmmond one I'm not too sure about.

EDIT: The NHL rejected the McAmmond trade. Marek Svatos is done for the season. This deadline was a debacle for the Avalanche.

I don't see the logic in giving up a 1st round pick for a 36 year old like Roloson. Doesn't make too much sense.

The Kings dealt Yannick Lehoux for Tim Jackman, that's a little minor league thing. I'm glad the Kings could find someone to take that bust.

Most of the Oilers deals are broken by the radio, so I don't even know for sure if they're real. The Samsonov one is, the McAmmond one I'm not too sure about.

EDIT: The NHL rejected the McAmmond trade.

There really weren't any better options for the Oilers though. From what I've heard Gretzky wanted Stoll for Joseph so that wasn't an option. Biron wasn't going to get traded. Noronen is unproven and not a number one goalie. Belfour is too expensive.

Roloson is a good choice especially for a draft pick even if it is in the first round. The Oilers have enough young talent in the system where they can afford to skip a draft year especially since they'd be picking late and there's no guarantee that the player picked wouldn't turn out to be a bust. The Oilers are looking to make the playoffs and the three stooges we've had in net so far have cost us a lot of games. Roloson doesn't have to be a Brodeur or Roy, he just needs to give us steady goaltending.

Guest Princess Leena
Vancouver got a good goalie for a second round pick.

If he could have stayed injury free...he had won the starting job from Biron twice in the last few seasons.

Then he gets hurt the next game...

But he is a talented guy.

Indeed, Vancouver likely did well in this trade. Noronen has been talented enough to be a starter for a while now. Wish Buffalo could have got more than a 2nd rounder for him.

Svatos is out for the season. I think the Avs should be very worried about the way this next little while is shaping up.

Peter Maher on the Fan 960: "Sutter's not talking until everything is done." What the hell does that mean?

I'm not sure what to think about the Ozolinsh deal. Hes 34 and injury prone and costs 2.75 million and is suspect defensivley, but hes an offensive presence at the bluline the Rangers desperately need. And when all said and done, this trade was basically Nemo for Ozolinsh.

And Sather announced today Staal might join the team if his Junior team is out of the playoffs.

Guest Rrrsh

Norinem, Carney, Brown and Wienrich for McCarthy, Mojis and drfat picks that aint a #1.

Very happy Canuck fan here.

Major winners: Oilers, Canucks, Dallas and Nashville, Carolina.

Losers: Calgary, Toronto

Massive Question Marks: Colorado, Montreal, Anahiem.

Even with Samsonov, the winner is Carolina, I'm sorry. I still don't have enough fait in Roloson to trump the acquisition of Recchi.

Maybe the Habs FINALLY have a policeman. They didn't with Dowd, or Odjick, but let's hope this one sticks.

Measuring every team's deadline....

Winners: Carolina, Florida (because they signed Jokinen), Montreal, both New York teams, Philadelphia, Dallas, Los Angeles (massively helped their chances for this year, even though they played like shit tonight), Vancouver, Edmonton, Nashville.

Losers: Boston, Buffalo (they did nothing to get better, when they needed to), Toronto (see Buffalo, didn't sell), Calgary (see Buffalo), Minnesota, Detroit (They traded for Cory Cross. That's all I have to say), Phoenix, Anaheim, and most of all, Colorado.

Everyone else made questionable decisions, even Ottawa.

So, biggest winner was Vancouver, and biggest loser was Colorado and Anaheim tied. Why the fuck would anyone trade for Theo when they're in the playoff race, and why the hell would anyone trade for ODonnell and Friesen, using a 2nd round pick, then trade 2 of their better defensemen? Stupid.

Ozolinsh is a great acquisition for the Rags, they badly needed an offensive defenseman, and Ozo's played great since coming out of drug rehab.

I don't think Brian Burke doesn't want to be in Anaheim.

MD fans hate Jeff Friesen because he hated being a Ducks. When we played NJ in the Finals, he made it a point to say, he couldn't wait to win the Cup against the Ducks. I think he scored the game winning goal against the Ducks in Game 7.

At least Giguere wasn't traded. I hope Ottawa, Carolina, or NY Rangers win the Cup this season. NY has a lot of Ducks players (Rucchin, Sykora, Osilinsh((can't spell that))).

The Friesen deal was what I wasn't getting for that exact reason, then I thought, "maybe they think they can get in", then Burke traded Carney and Ozo. Didn't get that one. I think they have a slim chance with how bad Colorado's going to be with Budaj in goal and Svatos out for the year. San Jose has life now.

Red Wings did about nothing or even a small step back today. Still one of the better teams and a legit shot at it all, but man it would of been nice to have been able to do something better than Cross and losing Rivers. Oh well, down the stretch to the playoffs now.

So Riberio decide to play fucking idiot again against Boston today, for a "spearing" incident against Nick Boyton.

But a good ol brawl is something that I love. Its ashame that Boston isn't going to be in the playoffs again.

Boynton's one of the few Bruins left that gives a damn. It looked like he was ready to kill Ribeiro if given the chance. April 1 & April 4, in Montreal, could be very interesting games ... especially since the B's will be long eliminated from playoff contention by then.

Listening to MOC justify the transactions (and more specifically, the non-trades) before the game and during the 1st period made me so angry it's almost laughable. Last night's starting 12 forwards included SIX guys that legitimately should be in the AHL or retired, and that's not including the incoming Czerkawski, Reasoner, or Stasny. It's quite obvious that this is NOT a playoff-calibre team, why NOT trade Leetch, Gill, or even Axelsson (who I like, but am thinking will want to test the FA waters in the summer) and get young players or picks? And yet MOC is saying, "we couldn't afford to give up players without getting players in return" ... why not? Why not just add two or three more AHL'ers to the glorified AHL team already playing in the "Garden"?

That asshole had BETTER be unemployed next year.

I really do think Reasoner will do well for Boston if he is still there. Its ashame that no one can support him out there. I'm surprised that Axelesson wasnt traded during the deadline, IMO.

baron, the guy's had ONE season where he broke 30 points in his entire career, has a whopping 45 career goals, and has been a disappointment in both St Louis & Edmonton ... why is he going to become anything better than a 4th liner in Boston?

The Bruins will try to make him a productive member of the team, but he is what he is: a 4th liner.

I would have thought that Samsonov would fetch a better return than another checking line player, a player that the Bruins dealt to Edmonton for a fourth round pick and a second round pick. I'm thinking that the pick has more value than either player (or even both combined).

So now:

Sturm-Bergeron-Boyes

Axelsson-Green-Murray

Langfeld-Primeau-Leahy

LaCouture-Fitzgerald-Isbister

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

I think that you're giving the B's too much credit, max ...

Sturm-Bergeron-Boyes is a given. But I think that (when healthy) they slide Isbister on the second line with Primeau & Murray, even though Axelsson is a much better offensive threat. I also think that they're going to want to give the new guys some significant ice time to justify their acquisitions, so the 3rd line would be Axelsson-Reasoner-Czerkawski. And then the 4th line would be LaCouture-Green-Fitzgerald.

The lines you hypothesized include too many young guys that might show something for the future ... why bother playing them when you have such stalwarts as Reasoner, Czerkawski, & Fitzgerald on the roster?

Amazingly, between injuries & horrible trades, the defensive pairings now look MUCH better than the forwards. And the D is what I was most concerned with back in October & November.

My bad, I forgot Reasoner and Czerkawski. Hard to forget stand out players like them.

I agree about the defense as well, it seems that they've gelled into a good unit. I've even seen Gill playing his position at least twice!

Sturm-Bergeron-Boyes

Czerkawski-Reasoner-Murray

Axelsson-Primeau-Green

Langfeld-Fitzgerald-Isbister

Scratches: LaCouture, Leahy

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Lightning as a loser. They needed to acquire a goalie at any cost, and did not do it; I'm highly doubting that Grahame and Burke can even get them to the playoffs, and if they do, Tampa will be gone in the first round.

Simply put, Calgary and Buffalo can still win as they are, though it'll be harder. Tampa Bay can't.

baron, the guy's had ONE season where he broke 30 points in his entire career, has a whopping 45 career goals, and has been a disappointment in both St Louis & Edmonton ... why is he going to become anything better than a 4th liner in Boston?

The Bruins will try to make him a productive member of the team, but he is what he is: a 4th liner.

Reasoner was a decent 3rd or 4th line player for the Oilers. He's not going to replace Samsonov's offensive talents that's for sure but you're not getting a sack of potatos here. If Boston's putting their hopes on Reasoner to score them many goals then they're fucked because that's not his game.

The last thing the Bruins needed was another "decent 3rd or 4th line player", Vigo. The team already has: Isbister, Axelsson, Primeau, LaCouture, Green, Fitzgerald, Langfeld, and Czerkawski. Reasoner's not a horrendous pick-up, but he's not what the Bruins needed, and if Reasoner/Stasny/draft pick was the best package that was offered for Samsonov, they should have kept Sammy.