TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slabinskia

Top 50 WWF/E FEUDS

I want to make sure nobody gets this confused with the best matches list.A lot of things have to be considered when talking about a great feud.How was the build up ? Did it get a new person over or elevate the right person ?Did the feud produce good matches ? Did the feud have a propper end ?

A great match may not mean a great feud and a great feud doesn't always mean a ****+ match.Obviously,a great match helps the feud but it isn't always necessary.I will start the list later or tomorrow.Enjoy.

Fuck it, who cares if you piss of the english grad student. Most people only point out other people's spelling mistakes for masterbatory purposes only.

Guest wildpegasus
Fuck it, who cares if you piss of the english grad student. Most people only point out other people's spelling mistakes for masterbatory purposes only.

Edit

Guest wildpegasus

Edit

Guest hasbeen

Early guesses, or at least what I'd have up there-Vince/Austin, Hogan-Orndorff, Bret-Owen. Four more just prior to your cutoff that I still remember were Iron Sheik-Slaughter, Santana-Valentine, Hogan-Piper, Piper-Snuka (never concluded but the coconut incident is unforgetable to kick it off). I remember Iron Sheik sneak attacking Slaughter's flag bearer, I believe Terry Daniels, while Slaughter was wrestling, Daniels keeping the flag from touching the floor despite being nearly out of it and Slaughter looking nearly like he was about to cry, with rage but also with respect for his flag bearer. Might not sound like much now but back then the fans wanted to lynch Sheik.

Well, Austin/Bret will be his number 1.

I know Bret/HBK was mostly an off camera thing but it did make it on tv in many ways ending on historic fashion. I think Bret/HBK feud help Austin career and WWE in a major way. If HBK would of not quit in 97, there will be no Austin/Bret WM 13 match. You seen when Bret and HBK was in the company at the same time AUstin was going after the IC title. If there was no screwjob,there will be no evil Vince to lead into the Attitude era. Imagine if HBK and Bret was friendly with each other, it will be a different wrestling world.

My top 5 before the list gets started. Don't really know 70's wrestling that well.

1.Austin/Vince

2.HBK/Bret

3.Hogan/Savage

4.Austin/Rock

5.Austin/Bret

Savage/Roberts better have a cushy spot on that list.

indeed.

in no order, off the top of my head, here's a few...some were long standing feuds, some only produced couple of matches, but those matches were always good:

Savage/Roberts

Austin/Bret

Rock/Austin

Rock/HHH

Rock/Mankind

Mick Foley/HHH

Warrior/Savage

Hart Foundation/Bulldogs

Hart Foundation/Demolition

Eddy/Rey

Benoit/Angle

UT/Angle

Bret/Owen

Savage/Steamboat

Savage/Flair

Savage/Hogan

Bret/Diesel

HBK/Diesel

HBK/HHH (sorry, their matches were usually pretty good, guys)

HBK/Razor Ramon

Bret/America

2.HBK/Bret

Given the criteria, Bret-HBK shouldn't even be in the first half of the list. Maybe somewhere between #50-40. Two out of three of their big PPV matches were good (Survivor Series 92 and WM XII), but even in those two matches, there wasn't a real feud. Things only got heated after Bret returned in late 96. That and the impact of Montreal would be the only things keeping the feud on the list. That's just my opinion, though.

My #1 feud would probably go to Austin-Bret.

As for the person who pointed stuff out like hogan/piper,snuka/piper,valentine/santana etc...This is 86-2005 and all of those feuds were pre 86 so they won't be on the list.Historical impact played a big part in my decisions,just to let everyone know.Btw,it is not a forgone conclusion bret/austin is #1 even though I said so in my best matches list.OK,here we go.

50. TED DIBIASE VS DUSTY/DUSTIN RHODES

This is one that just about everyone won't understand.Imo,the million dollar man was the best heel.Is there anything about him that you would like ?Like it or not,dusty rhodes has always been over with casual fans.What I liked most about this however,was when dibiase had a 10 minute match with the very green son dustin.Dustin lasted the 10 minutes and won the match.It set up a tag match at the 91 rumble.It was the last appearance for dusty/dustin but ended with a great moment of virgil finally turning face after years of being dibiases' bodyguard.

49. TED DIBIASE VS JAKE ROBERTS

Like I said above,dibiase was my favorite heel and jake was awesome regardless if he was heel or face.I believe this was set up during the jake/andre feud.I thought they had some decent matches together and a pretty good one at wrestlemania 6.Anything with dibiase from 87-91 was gold imo.

48. KURT ANGLE VS BROCK LESNAR

Lesnar was the next monster face to lead the promotion.Angle was thought to be having a possible career ending surgery.The match at wrestlemania 19 was suppose to be one of those passing the torch moments.It didn't work out that way but I still liked this feud.Lesnar could have been the man carrying the company if he didn't leave.

47. HHH VS BATISTA

So sue me.I liked it.Batista went from being the guy in evolution who did the dirty work to being the cool heel to being #1 contender to the world title.HHH has had alot of feuds where the opponent points out how great the game is and all of that boring stuff.A cool thing with batista is he wasn't built up that way.It helps that hhh jobbed to him 3 straight times.The matches weren't very good but I did like the hiac match.

46. HHH VS SHAWN MICHAELS

I don't think there matches were as bad as people say.I liked the storyline going into the summerslam match where they played up hbks back injury and how he would be able to wrestle.That match doesn't really stand the test of time but it was good then.The match on raw was very good.The hiac match was not as bad as many have said but could have benefitted from 10 minutes being cut out.Then there is the wrestlemania 3 way which is still a great match. Some will argue but I liked most of this feud.

50. TED DIBIASE VS DUSTY/DUSTIN RHODES

This is one that just about everyone won't understand.Imo,the million dollar man was the best heel.Is there anything about him that you would like ?Like it or not,dusty rhodes has always been over with casual fans.What I liked most about this however,was when dibiase had a 10 minute match with the very green son dustin.Dustin lasted the 10 minutes and won the match.It set up a tag match at the 91 rumble.It was the last appearance for dusty/dustin but ended with a great moment of virgil finally turning face after years of being dibiases' bodyguard.

I liked it as well, take out the Sapphire stuff and it's a good feud which was unlike any of the other WWF stuff at the time, the SNME beatdown on Dustin especially.

45. RIC FLAIR VS HULK HOGAN/RODDY PIPER

"What are you going to do Hulk Hogan when Ric Flair runs wild on you ". This had awesome build up but there was one huge flaw to this feud.There was never a major tv or ppv match between flair/hogan.It prabably shouldn't make the list but the build up was huge.Bobby Heenan holding the wcw title talking about how the "real" world champion was coming to the wwf.Maybe it has lost its impact but in 1991 the sight of Ric Flair on wwf tv with the wcw title was the biggest story in wrestling.Supposedly hogan/flair wasn't drawing at the house shows but I think they would have done just as good of business if they went with hogan/flair at wm8.Piper got in on this as well.Hogan was involved in a feud with undertaker so they put flair with piper in the meantime.A memorable moment was flair going out to badmouth piper at the announce booth.Piper swings a chair at flair but misses and knocks out vince mcmahan.If there was a major match between flair/piper or flair/hogan,this would be near the top.

44. DUDLEYS VS HARDYS VS EDGE/CHRISTIAN

While the tlc matches are the ones remembered,any combination of these teams always produced good matches.It started with a ladder match at no mercy 99.While it is outdated,it was great for the time.Then the dudleys came to the wwf.There first spotlight match was a tables match at rumble 2000.Again, while its outdated,it was great at the time.It led to the first tables/ladders match at wm16.It is my favorite of the tlc matches because it is slower and not rushed.All three teams would feud back and fourth the rest of the year,always giving good matches.While there was a tlc match on smackdown in 01,the end of the feud for the most part was wm17.It was the usual great spotfest.

43. MICK FOLEY VS RANDY ORTON

Sorry,I liked most of the build up for this.The whole purpose was to elevate orton to the next level.Did it succeed ?Prabably not but foley tried his best.The wrestlemania tag match was great stuff and the backlash match was very good too.I'm sure all of the orton haters will bash this one but it was a good feud imo.

42. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS JAKE ROBERTS

Heel jake was one of the best.What helps is that steamboat can adapt to anyones style and make it work.While the match at the big event was decent,they had a match earlier in the month that was alot better.So good that I included it in my top 100 list.Anything involving jake roberts as a heel was good stuff.

41. HART FOUNDATION VS BRITISH BULDOGS

Both teams came in at the same time and automatically put on the best matches every night.Wwe should release more rare house show matches between these two because they were always good.The high point of this feud was when the hart won the belts from the buldogs with help from heel ref danny davis.I don't remember this feud having a blowoff match but it doesn't matter.Everything else was great.

How can you put Hardyz/E&C/Dudleyz so low? How can you put Orton/Foley ahead of them?

The "TLC" feud did much to elevate stars than the Orton/Foley feud ever did. They had many great matches(some were classics) that you brought up. Made WWF alot of money and was probably the biggest money maker from 2000(WWF most successful financial year). This feud also brought tag team wrestling back to the spotlight.

On second thought,I should have put the tlc feud higher for the reasons listed.As far as hhh/hbk not being higher,aside from the start of the feud in 2002,I found much of it to be pretty boring.

40. HHH VS CHRIS BENOIT

HHH usually buries the opponent in his feuds but benoit was treated different. Many didn't expect benoit to win the belt at wrestlemania and fewer thought he would hold onto it for more than a couple of weeks.I don't even think hhh got his win back from benoit.I'm sure many will disagree but I liked this one.

39. BRET HART VS BOB BACKLUND

This definately didn't go as planned.Backlund wasn't expected to get over.He did get over though when he snapped after losing a title match to bret.The crazy old man gimmick worked to perfection.Strangely,he talked about being screwed out of the wwf title,saying he never quit and his manager threw in the towel for no reeason.This led to a great old school match at survivor series.A very underrated match by some.It could have led to a title rematch if they didn't job backlund in 8 seconds and ruin his credibility.

38. THE ROCK VS HULK HOGAN

The match that showed that hogan still had it.While it only lasted a little while,hogan became the most over guy in the company after this match,getting standing ovations.The build up,while silly now,worked to perfection.When they had the face to face confrontation following no way out,you knew it was money.Of course it led to the rock getting run over with a truck which is stretching reality about as far as you can.This would have been higher if the weeks following that had been more memorable.

37. HHH VS CHRIS JERICHO

This is for the 2000 feud,not the 2002 disaster.In 2000,jericho was insanely over as a new talent.I think this started from jericho using stephanie as part of his pre match jokes.One great memory I have that is forgotten about is when Hhh gave jericho a title shot on raw.Jericho won the match and was named the new champion.Then in what I think is awesome heel work,HHH threatens earl hebner into changing his decision."IT NEVER HAPPENED"is what he told hebner.So the belt is taken off jericho and given back to hhh.It eventually led to a last man standing match that was one of the many highlights of the year.HHH won the match in a photo finish.He beat the count at 10 and collapsed a few seconds later.Sadly,jericho didn't break through the glass ceiling after this which is a shame.

36. SHAWN MICHAELS VS RAZOR RAMON

Scott hall was always considered a mid carder.After having one of the best matches in company history,he was a star.The build up,while not bad,was rather weak imo.Shawn had been stripped of the title in 93.Ramon won the belt after winning a battle royal and beating rick martel.Hbk came back with his belt saying he was the real champion.They decided to have a unification match in the "first" ladder match.The match is one of the most memorable of all time.After typing all of that,maybe this should be higher.It is a flawed system people.lol.

35. SHAWN MICHAELS VS MARTY JANETTY

The feud that started hbks' singles career in the wwf.One of my favorite old school moments.The rockers supposedly reuniting on the barbershop until michaels throws janetty threw the glass window.When janetty returned in late 92,michaels was the ic champion.They were putting on great matches at the house shows but had a below average match at rumble 93 and marty left.Another great moment was when marty returned on an early episode of raw and beat shawn for the title in a good match.They had another great match later in the year.This will always be one of my favorites.

34. CHRIS BENOIT VS CHRIS JERICHO

When benoit came into the wwf as part of the radicals he quickly was put in a feud with jericho.The result was great matches nearly every time.After 2 years of crash tv and the titles being devalued,these two elevated the ic title back to an important belt.The only problem I have is they were put together for too long and by fully loaded both were ready for main event level.It didn't happen but it didn't stop them from having another great match at summerslam the next month.The feud pretty much ended with an awesome ladder match at rumble 01.Great stuff here.

33. RODDY PIPER VS ADRION ADONIS

It sounds funny now but it was suppose to be pipers last match.The feud started when adonis turned pipers pit into the flower shop.Pipers friends orton/muraco joined with adonis.It led to the wrestlemania 3 match.While its not a good match,it has great markout value.Adonis was not to be seen again.

32. SHAWN MICHAELS VS DEISEL

Sometimes the simple storylines work the best.Michaels brought in deisel to be his bodyguard and take care of the dirty work.Deisel got over when he went through a bunch of people at rumble 94.After wm10 michaels stopped wrestling and started managing deisel.They later won the tag titles while deisel had the ic title also.On an episode of the action zone they had an awesome tag match against kid/razor.Michaels accidentally superkicked deisel which was the second time it happened.Then at survivor series,Deisel went through all of the opposing team.Michaels wanted to finish off ramon after deisel did all of the work.The result was another superkick.Deisel then snapped and went after hbk.He won the world title a few days later and eventually set up a title match at wm11.The match was decent but booked entirely wrong.Fast forward to 96 where deisel is now the heel challenging the babyface michaels for the world title.They had a great match at iyh.I believe it was deisels last televised match before wcw.

31. STEVE AUSTIN VS KURT ANGLE

Some of the best parts of this came from comedy skits.Arguing over who vince liked more.Comedy aside,they had one of my favorite matches at summerslam 01.They really had good matches whenever they wrestled each other.Angle was defending the wwf against austin who sided with wcw.This was the only good thing that came out of the invasion angle was everything with these two.After the summerslam match,angle won the belt at the next months ppv which was a decent match as well.

30 HULK HOGAN VS BIG BOSSMAN

This was meant to be in the bottom 5 but I forgot about it so ignore the placement.With that in mind,this was above average for a hogan feud.After being on opposing sides at survivor series 88,hogan was eliminated by both the twin towers at the rumble.It led to the tag match at the main event between the mega powers and twin towers.Pretty historic match that would be the setup to hogan/savage.The final match was a cage match on snme.Things were much more simple in 1989 so when hogan superplexed bossman off the top of the cage,it was the equivilant to the foley hiac bump.How times have changed.Still,this is good stuff.

29. RODDY PIPER VS RICK RUDE

This was setup at summerslam when piper cost rude his ic title in a match against the warrior.While I don't remember much of the buildup after that,I do remember them having a cage match to end it in december.A very good match for the time.Piper was great on the mic and rude was a good heel.I liked this one.

28. ULTIMATE WARRIOR VS RICK RUDE

Warrior got over huge when he squashed honky tonk man but it was rick rude who got good matches out of him and was warriors first money feud.It started at rumble 89 when they had a posedown.Then rude won the ic belt with help from heenan in a decent match.Warrior would win it back at summerslam in a very good match and warriors best up until that point.They then feuded briefly a year later when warrior was the world champion but it didn't have the same effect.Other than the wm7 match,nobody got consistent matches out of the warrior like rude did.

27. THE ROCK VS CHRIS JERICHO

The verbal exchanges between these two were awesome.One thing some might forget is these two had a confrontation on jerichos' first night with the company.It was a great way to give jericho instant credibility.After a great 2000,jericho didn't do much in 2001 until he turned heel and feuded with the rock.He briefly became a top guy.They had a great match that I shortchanged at no mercy.Jericho would become the undisputed champion.They had another great match at rumble 02.While hhh spoiled jerichos spot on top,the rock did everything to make jericho look like he was on the same level.

26. STEVE AUSTIN VS THE UNDERTAKER

This is for the 98 feud.The build up all summer was to a title match at summerslam.A match that is pretty underrated.They did the storyline of austin/taker teaming up against kane/mankind.Both with thier dta attitudes.After summerslam they ran with the storyline of taker/kane being in cohoots to take austins' title.The storyline worked as austin was over to the point of being untouchable.They feuded for the remainder of 98.While they didn't produce any more good matches,the summerslam match was very good and I liked the build up.

I will continue to give 5 at a time until I get to the last 5.Then I will give very detailed explanations on the top 5 feuds.What does everyone think so far.

nobody got consistent matches out of the warrior like rude did.

Savage did, and did it better. He has three of Warrior's four best matches ever. But then, I assume this feud is coming up a lot later.

Savage did, and did it better. He has three of Warrior's four best matches ever. But then, I assume this feud is coming up a lot later.

agreed 100%...even the Summerslam 92 match was good, despite outside goofiness with Flair and Perfect. The WM 7 match, while not a workrate masterpiece, was fantastic.

When you say Savage has three of Warrior's four best matches ever I assume one of those is their Champion vs Champion match at MSG that's on the Wrestling Superheroes tape? I really like that match.

When you say Savage has three of Warrior's four best matches ever I assume one of those is their Champion vs Champion match at MSG that's on the Wrestling Superheroes tape? I really like that match.

hmmm, I haven't seen that one...was Macho a heel yet?

Yeah, he just turned heel a week or two prior. The superfans in the front row (Vladimir and gang) had a sweet lookin' "The Madness is Back" banner along the front row.

Cheesy ending w/ Warrior being distracted by Rude's posing and losing by CO, but going in, they couldn't realisitically job either guy.

Yeah, that's the one. It's a thing of beauty, despite the finish.

25. ULTIMATE WARRIOR VS RANDY SAVAGE

The best match of warriors career and it is miles ahead of anything else he's done.Savage always saved his best stuff for ppv.This started when sherri begged warrior to give savage a title shot.Warrior obviously declined.In return,savage interfered in the warrior/slaughter match later in the night and cost warrior the title.It setup a career vs career match that remains one of my favorites even if it's not technically one of the best wrestling matches out there. They got over the career stipulation right from the start.Warrior walked to the ring instead of bolting down the isle to save energy.Savage gave his signature elbow drop 5 times.It didn't work.Warrior gave 3 of his shoulder tackles.That won him the match.What happened after the match is a pretty big moment also.Sherri started kicking savage for losing the match and elizabeth jumped out of the audience to stop her.Savage and liz reunited in what was a memorable wrestlemania moment.

24. RANDY SAVAGE VS RICKY STEAMBOAT

While everyone knows about the wm3 classic,they had a bunch of good matches leading up to the ppv.This was setup when savage gave steamboat a double axe handle on the floor,injuring steamboats throat.Steamboat would be out for a while but returned to challenge for the title at wm3.In his shoot interview,steamboat said that while hogan/andre sold the show,he and savage planned to steal the show.They did just that.A match that still holds up today and I can't imagine how great this seemed at the time.

23. UNDERTAKER VS KANE

This had a really slow build.Paul Bearer had been threatening the undertaker for months that he was going to tell everyone about the undertakers secret.If nothing else,it was an interesting storyline.Kane made his debut at bad blood after the undertaker had a 30 match with hbk at the first hiac match.It was then a slow build towards wrestlemania 14.The match wasn't any good but I liked the build up to the match.

22. HHH VS KURT ANGLE

If this had the right payoff,this would be higher on the list.After 2 years of crash tv,this feud had such a slow build towards the match.It was always subtle things like stephanie flirting with angle and hhh getting jelous but not doing anything about it.Both guys were also heels at the time and it's very tough to get a crowd into a feud involving two heels.The guys sided with hhh while the women mostly sided with angle.On a side note,I will mention how funny it was when they played angle crying at the olympics and hhh/foley questioning which team angle plays for.Both guys were on top of their games wrestling wise that year as well.It should have been a motyc.Imo,it also should have led to stephanie siding with angle.Instead,it was a bad match at unforgiven and hhh kept stephanie.I thought they had an underrated match at rumble 01 but by then the heat was gone.

21. CHRIS BENOIT VS KURT ANGLE

Fans usually care about storylines and great matches is an added bonus.With these two,the storyline was usually about having great matches and who was the better wrestler.It got over and the crowd always got into their matches.They wrestled each other a bunch of times since 2000 but I liked it the most when they were teaming during the sd6 era.They would have a contest of who could out wrestle the other team better.Great stuff.Of course the biggest moment was when benoit challenged angle for the belt at rumble 03.They made everyone believe benoit had a chance of winning even though that was never the plan.A match that I am proud to say made my top 10.

25? That's terrible. And the timeline for the feud started with Warrior's match with DiBiase on SNME in late 1990 where Savage pearl-harboured him after the match.

Almost as bad as Savage/Steamboat at 24.