TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

78th Academy Awards

Guest Vitamin X

I thought Judi Dench did a better job than Reese Witherspoon, and Michael Kahn did a better job in editing than the guy from Crash (I think it was something Burrows?)

Just checked the cast, it was a good night for Reese and Ryan.

Reese wins for "Walk the line" and Ryan was part of the cast of "Crash".

They're still together? Meh.

I think every week there's a story that they're breaking up. Poor guys.

Am I the only one who thought Jon Stewart was pretty terrible in the first hour of the show? The delivery on the monologue was lousy; he seemed out of his element and didn't connect with the audience. It picked up as he went along, by the end he had said enough midly funny things to put him above the last Oscars that had Steve Martin as host. Thankfully Stewart didn't do that fuckin' "Mmmm, _____?" voice or continuously insult the Bush administration; then I seriously would have turned it over. I'm disappointed Billy Crystal was too busy having ass sex with Chris Rock to host.

This year Naomi Watts and Steve Carrell were the only reasons I tuned in. Neither really delivered; Naomi dressed poorly (as usual) and has gotten plump while Steve was pretty good but obviously not trying to overshadow his friend.

EDIT: Another reason I turned in was to make sure George Clooney got his well-deserved award for Syriana. Good for the Academy.

Hopefully Conan gets a chance to host next year, I have no doubt he'd knock it out of the park.

I've hated him since he was in that monument to bad acting known as "Cruel Intentions". She made up for it by being in "Election", though. That translates in my brain as "she can do better".

He didn't look too happy out there when he was on camera. He looked pissed beyond belief. Course I think Ryan has premanent pissed off face so maybe that's all it was. Also Joquain didn't look upset at all, he clapped his hands for the winner and kept smiling while they talked. He seemed disappointed but who wouldn't be? It's better to show emotion than to be like, "I love you winner, BFF!"

That was a pretty good show tonight. My only complaint is all of the pointless montages.

Next years show should be really, really interesting.

Guest Posada20

Only things I really didn't like was Howl's Moving Castle not winning and who won best original song, the song for Crash should have won instead.

Guest Vitamin X
Only things I really didn't like was Howl's Moving Castle not winning and who won best original song, the song for Crash should have won instead.

Oh, what the fuck ever. IT'S HARD OUT HERE FOR A PIMP!

Also, I think I've got good reason to go see Hustle & Flow now. I thought that would just be another one of these "urban" dramas with generic plots. Didn't know it had so much critical praise.

Hustle & Flow was just a flat out good, solid film, with fantastic performances from just about everyone involved. I'm not a big fan of most of those urban films, with the horrible generic plots, but that isn't what Hustle & Flow is at all.

I thought that would just be another one of these "urban" dramas with generic plots. Didn't know it had so much critical praise.

I didn't know it was possible to not know that.

My only complaint is all of the pointless montages.

I guess I'm in the minority of those who enjoy them. They were getting reptitive by the end, but they're still a joy to sit through. Seeing two-second snippets of an endless line of classic films just helps to remind me of why cinema's so great.

The montage on controversial issues made me want to go buy the new Controversial Classics boxset right then.

Next years show should be really, really interesting.

What did I miss? I saw someone else say something similar to this.

I guess I'm in the minority of those who enjoy them. They were getting reptitive by the end, but they're still a joy to sit through. Seeing two-second snippets of an endless line of classic films just helps to remind me of why cinema's so great.

The montage on controversial issues made me want to go buy the new Controversial Classics boxset right then.

I enjoyed some of them, but near the end it just seemed like a huge time waster. I loved the one about film noir though, since those are some of my favorite movies ever, and my favorite "feel" in a film. I almost bought Controversial Classics Vol. 2 today (I already have the first one). It'll be the next box set that I pick up for sure.

What did I miss? I saw someone else say something similar to this.

If you go to DVDTalk, then you saw me post the same thing there.

Flags of Our Fathers vs. The Departed

Clint Eastwood vs. Martin Scorsese

Guest Vitamin X

We all know Clint would take Martin in pretty much every way possible. Poor Scorsese can't catch a break.

I almost bought Controversial Classics Vol. 2 today (I already have the first one). It'll be the next box set that I pick up for sure.

Yeah, I was going to wait until they became enrollment titles over at CH, but then I saw that the set's only $41 at DDD. But since CH is running a B1G1 Free sale, I may just snag them plus another title for the same price. I just need them.

Oh yes. It was one of those few WB boxsets I felt I had to have the day it was released, even it meant shelling out $70+ when it cost $10-$15 less at DDD.

I still need to watch The Americanization of Emily, but I finished all the others long ago. I Am A Fugitive From a Chaingang, Blackboard Jungle, and Advise & Consent are great films, but I had fun going through the box, since they were all blind buys.

As much as the new one intrigues me, I hope they have another one with similar material as the first box (i.e. some pre-Code stuff and films from a wider scope of eras).

Least it went to Hoffman and not Ledger doing a Trace Adkins impersonation.

Ennis del Mar likes the HonkyTonkBadonkadonk

...That was lame. Really, really lame.

For one, the song centers entirely around women's bums.

For another, you spelled it wrong.

'Honky Tonk Badonkadonk'.

Only things I really didn't like was Howl's Moving Castle not winning

I agree on that one. I really am not an "anime" fan, but I went to see Howl's with someone who was and really enjoyed it. While I did like Wallace and Gromit, I felt that Howl's got snubbed due: 1) Pity vote for the studio burning down, 2) Wallace and Gromit I believe did more business (because I think it had #1 at least one week IIRC) and 3) "Lifetime Achievement" seeing they have been around for quite a while.

Crash winning was the shock surprise for the night for me. I really felt they should win, but figured Brokeback was going to. I was pleased at the end of the night.

In the Oscar pool I did, I got second place calling 16 out of 24. I went on what I wanted with Howl's and what I felt would win with Brokeback. If I did it the other way around, I would've been 18, because I figured Wallace would win, but went with what I wanted, and like I said before, I wanted Crash. Also, I did this like a month ago, when Huffman was still the favorite for Best Actress, which I knew would be different when for the past few weeks it has been nothing but Reese Witherspoon.

The top moments for the night in my opinion were: The Campaign Videos (especially the Keira Knightley one) and Jon Stewart's quote on Scorsese:

For those of you keeping score at home... Martin Scorsese, Zero Oscars. Three 6 Mafia, One.

Jon Stewart is getting hammered in some of the reviews Ive seen/read. But I thought he did a good job and I did love the Martin Scorsese/Three 6 Mafia line.

And Im surprised that Crash won..and Im not surprised it won.

I can't believe that I am walking in a world that Three Six Mafia has a Oscar.....dear god.

Anyway, I was pissed about this year because History of Violence didn't get any love and that was just a beautiful film. I am happy Crash won though.

^ (pointing up to the comment about Jon's negative reviews) i knew that was going to happen the moment Jon Stewart started making fun of Hollywood culture in the beginning of the show. Any host who mocks Hollywood always ends up getting negative reviews and not huge laughs from the stars. It seems the "gracious insider" roles (Billy Crystal, Whoopi, Martin) are the only ones that are deemed 'successes'

I thought Jon was hilarious.