TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

78th Academy Awards

I could see someone not liking Walk the Line if they don't like country.

The new religious type ads for Walk The Line are pretty annoying.

That'd be weak reasoning, though. I dislike country, but loved WtL. I'm not a big fan of soul and R&B, but loved Ray. A good movie's a good movie and anyone with anything resembling an open mind shouldn't let their indifference or dislike towards something from skewing their opinions.

I saw Capote yeasterday, and Hoffman fucking deserves it. Holy shit, he was fantastic. Also, Terrence Howard should've been nominated for Crash instead of Hustle and Flow.

I wouldn't be suprised if they gave Giamatti BSA since they screwed him twice already.

I hope Giamatti doesn't get the "we screwed up, here take this", before Carrey does.

Carrey got screwed harder.

That'd be weak reasoning, though. I dislike country, but loved WtL. I'm not a big fan of soul and R&B, but loved Ray. A good movie's a good movie and anyone with anything resembling an open mind shouldn't let their indifference or dislike towards something from skewing their opinions.

My sister-in-law's husband is a country music fan, though. My wife thinks he just said he'd watched the movie so her sister wouldn't know where (she suspects) he really was...

was Walk the line anything like Ray or Ali? There's a certain style of bio-pic that's really tiresome to me, and those two are prime examples of the kind of movie i'm talking about, and so far that's kept me away from Walk the Line. Very sick of biopics unless they offer something unique.

As far as the awards go, I've only seen "Good Night and Good Luck", which was pretty good but probably not best picture material. However I'm not one of those fools who think, just because I dont like the subject matter or wasnt interested in seeing them, that its not best picture material. i always laugh when someone complains about movies in a critic or award list beings ones they never heard of, as if you're the center of the universe.

The only movies I've seen out of all the movies represented in one form or another were Crash (Which won't win anything) and Constant Gardener (I can see Rachel Weisz winning best Supporting Actress..)

I do want to rent A History of Violence and Good Night.. when they come out and I'll probably end up renting Capote and Syriana as well.

was Walk the line anything like Ray or Ali? There's a certain style of bio-pic that's really tiresome to me, and those two are prime examples of the kind of movie i'm talking about, and so far that's kept me away from Walk the Line. Very sick of biopics unless they offer something unique.

WTL, was good and more uplifting then Ray was. Musically, it was pretty good as Joaquin actually performed when Foxx, didn't.

It's a good story, good musical performence and good acting from the two stars.

I saw Capote yeasterday, and Hoffman fucking deserves it. Holy shit, he was fantastic. Also, Terrence Howard should've been nominated for Crash instead of Hustle and Flow.

I wouldn't be suprised if they gave Giamatti BSA since they screwed him twice already.

I hope Giamatti doesn't get the "we screwed up, here take this", before Carrey does.

Carrey got screwed harder.

Something tells me Carrey better hope he gets to star in a movie at the age of 85, cause that's the only way he'll get a nod. The pity "we screwed you when you deserved the nod but now you're old and dying so here you go" award.

Best Picture

Brokeback Mountain

Capote

Crash

Good Night and Good Luck

Munich

Best Director

George Clooney-Good Night and Good Luck

Paul Haggis- Crash

Ang Lee- Brokeback Mountain

Bennett Miller-Capote

Steven Spielberg-Munich

Best Actor

Philip Seymour Hoffman-Capote

Terrance Howard-Hustle and Flow

Heath Ledger-Brokeback Mountain

David Strathairn-Good Night and Good Luck

Joaquin Phoenix-Walk the Line

Best Actress

Judi Dench-Mrs. Henderson Presents

Felicity Huffman-Transamerica

Keira Knightley-Pride and Prejudice

Charlize Theron- North Country

Reese Witherspoon-Walk the Line

Best Supporting Actor

Geoge Clooney-Syriana

Matt Dillon-Crash

Paul Giamatti-Cinderella Man

Jake Gyllenhaal- Brokeback Mountain

William Hurt-A History of Violence

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams-Junebug

Catherine Keener-Capote

Frances McDormand-North Country

Rachel Weisz-The Constant Gardener

Michelle Williams-Brokeback Mountain

Best Original Screenplay

Crash

Good Night and Good Luck

Match Point

Syriania

The Squid and the Whale

Best Adapted Screenplay

A History of Violence

Brokeback Mountain

Capote

The Constant Gardener

Munich

Oh and Wallace and Grommit takes best animated

My only hope is that Giamatti wins

I didn't say it was a good reason, but I could see it happening.

I didn't think Ray was that good. Jamie Foxx was good and the music was great but the movie itself, I didn't like.

Guest Vitamin X

I just wish it would be Munich or Crash, but we all know it'd probably be Brokeback Mountain.

Guest Vitamin X

What the fuck? William Hurt's performance was nominated? He was on-screen for like 5 minutes!

AND Giamatti has to wait another year for an Oscar. Poor guy.

Guest Vitamin X

Best acceptance speech of the night, I bet.

EDIT: (George Clooney, I mean.)

Guest Vitamin X

Hmm, that's interesting I was just about to say she looks like she's starting to get pretty old nowadays..

Joaquin Phoenix looked like he wanted to punch Jon Stewart after the "Ray with white people" joke.

Joaquin Phoenix, always looks like he wants to punch Jon Stewart.