TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hadley

The Super pre-SNME Thread

Y2Jerk, I think you might be confusing a digital broadcast with HD. True HDTV is only 16:9 widescreen, not 4:3. A 4:3 show can be broadcast digitally, though.

Have you seen it?

Technically, Smackdown *is* broadcast in widescreen, but with black bars on the left and right sides of the screen.

Ummm nope Smackdown isnt broadcast in widescreen, then you wouldnt have those black bars there. Widescreen would be either with NO BARS ANYWHERE or else some stations, even though they dont do HD, may do the show in widescreen anyway which would basically be black bars or some space on every side of the screen.

For what its worth I'd like to see it in HD just to see how clear it can be and how much different it would also look in widescreen as well. Its not a big deal really but if its on a HD channel and they have the technology, why not?

And for what its worth some sporting events like football, for some reason I cant even explain, are better in HD but more particular in 5.1.

But the guy before me is right, it wont be in HD. See the schedule here for confirmation.

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/header/TV_Schedule/

Well, sports like football and basketball particularly benefit from the widescreen aspect ratio due to the fact that the playing fields are rectangular. Surround sound definitely adds to the experience...I've always thought WWE could benefit from this a lot. Imagine hearing the in ring sounds and commentary in front of you, and the crowd noise from the back. That would be pretty cool.

Smackdown is very much not in HD. Technically digital...but still broadcast quality. Far worse than Raw even.

Y2Jerk, I think you might be confusing a digital broadcast with HD. True HDTV is only 16:9 widescreen, not 4:3. A 4:3 show can be broadcast digitally, though.

Have you seen it?

Technically, Smackdown *is* broadcast in widescreen, but with black bars on the left and right sides of the screen.

Ummm nope Smackdown isnt broadcast in widescreen, then you wouldnt have those black bars there.

Um, yes because the black bars are part of the picture signal coming from the TV station.

It isn't FILMED in widescreen, but the broadcast signal itself is widescreen because it is shaped 16:9. They use black bars to fill out the rest of the screen. (This is similar to how my HD ESPN channels use blue bars with the ESPN logo on them to fill out the screen to 16:9.)

I have no interest in seeing shirtless, oiled up men in HD.

Speak for your damn self. I always enjoyed watching Albert march down the aisle with his fur dripping in oil. Imagine how he'd look coming out in high def.

It's very possible you get a UPN HD channel, but it only matters if WWE uses HD cameras to film it. Otherwise you are getting digital signal.

It's very possible you get a UPN HD channel, but it only matters if WWE uses HD cameras to film it. Otherwise you are getting digital signal.

I have no idea what your TV picture looks like (or if you even have HD service for that matter), but there's a huge difference in the picture quality between Smackdown on my UPN-HD channel and the non-HD UPN channel. On the UPN HD channel, the picture looks like it was filmed instead of video taped. The color is very rich, and there is no problems with sharpness on the 52" screen. It looks far superior to the product that WWE puts out on DVD.

If that's not HD, it does a pretty damn good imitation of it, and is superior to regular 480i resolution.

We don't have a UPN HD here. So I wouldn't know.

But I wasn't aware that WWE filmed in HD.

we have a UPN HD station here and shows HD feeds and SD feeds. Smackdown looks the same on both feeds. It's kinda ugly because the station stretches the picture to fit 16:9.

This is what you should've said in the first place.

Wow, tough guy. I bet you didn't notice this sarcastic gem.

The reason I wasn't aware: Cuz they don't. Otherwise SNME would be in HD too.

I'm with Y2Jerk on this one. Smackdown on my HD channel looks nothing like it does on regular cable.

HD>Digital>Analog(regular cable)

That is why.

This is what you should've said in the first place.

Wow, tough guy. I bet you didn't notice this sarcastic gem.

The reason I wasn't aware: Cuz they don't. Otherwise SNME would be in HD too.

You seem pretty adamant about this given you have no actual first-hand knowledge on the subject.

Aren't you the one that also said:

Smackdown is very much not in HD. Technically digital...but still broadcast quality. Far worse than Raw even.

And you said this even though you don't actually have UPN-HD, and thus had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to base your assessment of the picture quality on.

That is why.

When you say Digital, are you referring to something like digital cable/satelitte, or an intermediate level of picture quality that is superior to digital cable/satelitte?

You seem pretty adamant about this given you have no actual first-hand knowledge on the subject.

And you said this even though you don't actually have UPN-HD, and thus had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to base your assessment of the picture quality on.

You also have no first hand knowledge on the subject. Do you know if WWE films in HD?? All you know is you have an HD UPN channel therefore everything on it HAS TO BE IN HD. The reason why you HD UPN looks better than your regular UPN is because it's digital. You may have "digital" cable, but the only digital channels are the ones in the tier above the basic. So therefore your regular UPN is and analog signal and your UPN HD is in HD(provided the show was filmed in HD) and the rest of the programs are the digital signal. Get an education.

That is why.

When you say Digital, are you referring to something like digital cable/satelitte, or an intermediate level of picture quality that is superior to digital cable/satelitte?

No Scorpius, i'm referring to digital cable, and I explained the difference in the analog and digital channels above to that idiot. And I'd like to thank you for not being and asshole like him. Like I said if you have digital cable/sat the only channels that are an actual digital signal are the new channels in the digital package. The main locals are still analog, including UPN.

You also have no first hand knowledge on the subject.

Um...I'm the one who actually has the TV, the UPN affiliate, and the HD receiver. Not you. Thus, I think I'm in a better position to comment on what the picture quality on the UPN-HD station is.

The reason why you HD UPN looks better than your regular UPN is because it's digital. You may have "digital" cable, but the only digital channels are the ones in the tier above the basic. So therefore your regular UPN is and analog signal and your UPN HD is in HD(provided the show was filmed in HD) and the rest of the programs are the digital signal. Get an education.

That's irrelevant, since I don't have digital cable. I have a satelitte dish.

I explained the difference in the analog and digital channels above to that idiot. And I'd like to thank you for not being and asshole like him. Like I said if you have digital cable/sat the only channels that are an actual digital signal are the new channels in the digital package. The main locals are still analog, including UPN.

Satelitte has "new channels in the digital package"??????

From PWInsider:

WWE just announced through their new phone text service that the opening bout on tonight's Saturday Night's Main Event will be the Raw vs. Smackdown main-eventers match.

That is why.

No Scorpius, i'm referring to digital cable, and I explained the difference in the analog and digital channels above to that idiot. And I'd like to thank you for not being and asshole like him. Like I said if you have digital cable/sat the only channels that are an actual digital signal are the new channels in the digital package. The main locals are still analog, including UPN.

If you keep dismissing the picture quality of Smackdown from the HD affiliate without ever having actually seen it, then you're the one being an asshole for jumping his ass over it.

So now I have to see the picture quality to tell you if Smackdown is actually in HD? HA! How about the fact that the WWE doesn't film in HD. Case Closed morons.

In the case of satelitte, everything is digital except locals. including UPN.

Again. Education.

according to the cable guide, SNME is not in HDTV...now I say that because every program in HD is listed as such on the guide...that could be an error, but we'll see.

So now I have to see the picture quality to tell you if Smackdown is actually in HD? HA! How about the fact that the WWE doesn't film in HD. Case Closed morons.

In the case of satelitte, everything is digital except locals. including UPN.

Again. Education.

The fact that you're calling us "morons" over something you've never seen for yourself really doesn't prove anything.

None of your explanations make sense with what I know to be true. When I watch "Smackdown" on my 52" TV, the picture quality (color richness, detail, and sharpness) is comparable to a motion picture. Perhaps not up to the standard of 1080i, but far superior to 480i (the resolution that digital cable and satelitte is broadcast at)

Please answer the following questions:

1) Why wouldn't the local channels be digital on satelitte?

2) Why does "Smackdown" on my UPN-HD channel look different and better than even my WWE DVDs (480p digital video)?

3) Why does "Smackdown" on my UPN-HD channel look different and better than "Raw" on USA (480i digital satelitte)?

Perhaps WWE does not tape their shows in HD, but there has to be some explanation for the vast discrepancy in picture quality besides your inadequate explanation that it is digital.

Please answer the following questions:

1) Why wouldn't the local channels be digital on satelitte?

2) Why does "Smackdown" on my UPN-HD channel look different and better than even my WWE DVDs (480p digital video)?

3) Why does "Smackdown" on my UPN-HD channel look different and better than "Raw" on USA (480i digital satelitte)?

I'm wondering the exact same things, but I doubt he'll be able to answer. He keeps yelling at me that its "because its digital" even though I already said that it looks way better than my DVDs, which are also digital. Carnival's just talking out of his ass.

Maybe someone else can explain why Smackdown looks so damn good on UPN-HD who actually knows what they're talking about.

Am I talking out of my ass? Yes and No.

The locals on satelitte are digital only if your local station produce that feed. So they very well may be. But does that make Smackdown broadcast in HD. No. As to why you think it looks better...that could be any number of things...first off, you think it's even possible for smackdown to be in HD, even if it's not filmed in HD, which means you want to ignore fact, so your opinion of picture quality isn't the most valid one. Secondly, and least importantly, it could be the TV, the DVD player, or the cables used to connect them.

Oh jesus Christ.

Guys, stuff can be filmed in 1080i and 720p, the resolutions used by HDTV, without being 16:9. True, to actual use the official term "HD" a program must be in widescreen, but those resolutions will display on an HDTV in pillarboxing if the station chooses to.

KGO in San Francisco does this with their local news. It's as pillarboxed as any other local broadcast, but I can count the hair on Pete Wilson's head and the computer graphics/overlays are much more crisp.

Am I talking out of my ass? Yes and No.

The locals on satelitte are digital only if your local station produce that feed. So they very well may be. But does that make Smackdown broadcast in HD. No. As to why you think it looks better...that could be any number of things...first off, you think it's even possible for smackdown to be in HD, even if it's not filmed in HD, which means you want to ignore fact, so your opinion of picture quality isn't the most valid one.

Of course its possible for Smackdown to be in HD. You have yet to produce any actual evidence that the WWE does not. Its also possible that it is not in HD. However, there is a noticable and sizable difference between how the show looks on UPN vs. UPN-HD that you cannot adequately explain.

Secondly, and least importantly, it could be the TV, the DVD player, or the cables used to connect them.

The quality difference has nothing to do with how the TV is hooked up. I have my DVD player hooked up the same way my DVD player is: with component cables. Therefore, that can't be the explanation.

Smackdown from UPN-HD looks totally different than any other way I've ever viewed WWE programming. It looks like it was filmed instead of videotaped.

The difference is so noticable that even when you record it to another medium it still has a striking contrast in quality. AND I CAN PROVE IT.

Here's how:

1. This Friday, I will continuously record segments from Smackdown onto both UPN and UPN-HD onto a DVD by switching back and forth between the 2 channels. This will not only prove that it is broadcast in HD, but it will prove that I'm not exagerating when I say that it looks like a movie instead of a video-taped TV show.

2. I will mail you the DVD after you send me an address to my PM box.

3. I log on a few days later so you can apologize to me for doubting that I was telling the truth.

Deal?