TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

The OAO Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess Thread

Yeah, it's still too much. Should have really been some sort of preorder bonus, though. Neither one by itself really warrants a purchase, but would be nice swag.

I'm getting depressingly close to the end of the game. How the hell does a nearly 50 hour game fly by so damn fast?

Little tip for folks before you go to the Lakebed Temple: you'll need the Water Bombs, which become available in the Kakakiro bomb shop whenever you need to get the zora armor. You don't have to go back to Lake Hylia the "long way"; the room where you get the armor has a bombable boulder in it.

Some one else with the game didn't know about the water bombs and ended up going there the long way and without the bombs, so just a heads up.

I haven't got too much of the main quest left--but I spent something like 3-4 hours today just on the sidequest stuff. There are a number of "mini-dungeons" containing heart pieces that are not all *that* mini.

Little tip for folks before you go to the Lakebed Temple: you'll need the Water Bombs, which become available in the Kakakiro bomb shop whenever you need to get the zora armor. You don't have to go back to Lake Hylia the "long way"; the room where you get the armor has a bombable boulder in it.

Some one else with the game didn't know about the water bombs and ended up going there the long way and without the bombs, so just a heads up.

I haven't got too much of the main quest left--but I spent something like 3-4 hours today just on the sidequest stuff. There are a number of "mini-dungeons" containing heart pieces that are not all *that* mini.

and require a lot of bombs.

I'm basically at the end of the game, with only the final dungeon ahead of me. I've been collecting all the little things, heart pieces, upgrades, and golden bugs before I finish though. I think I'm short about 3-4 heart containers before my life meter is full. I'll probably check out the Cave of Ordeals before I finish, too. I hear it's a long one.

The Cave is completely optional, but yeah it's been tough so far.

The Great Fairy no longer is hideous and has an insane-sounding laugh, though.

And doesn't look like an alien, either. :)

Guest cardsfan31

The Cave of Ordeals is kind of hard but it makes it alot easier if you have the magic armor and all the bottles.

The most annoying part were the floors with the ice monsters and the redead.

The Cave of Ordeals is kind of hard but it makes it alot easier if you have the magic armor and all the bottles.

The most annoying part were the floors with the ice monsters and the redead.

Tell me about it. There's an underground cave on the mountain I went to after clearing the ice temple...filled with ice monsters and the ice keets...and I actually didn't make it out because of constantly getting frozen trying to beat them.

You take huge damage when you get frozen. Plus the baddies with flame arrows do more damage there, it appears.

Guest cardsfan31

The flame arrows get very annoying especially when theyre on the towers.

The easiest way i found to kill the knights at the end was to unleash hell with bomb arrows until they get under you and then just drop bombs until they lose all their armor.

After that it appears that the bombs dont hurt them so then you go down and have to fight them hand to hand.

I've been playing this game for four hours, goofing off mainly while trying to really learn the controsl, and I'm just now getting to the Forest Temple.

My God, this game owns me now.

Guest Smues

I just got through the Goron Mines.

The iron boots + magnetic rock = brilliant.

And while it was pretty easy I really liked that boss battle.

If you really liked that boss battle just wait until you hit the desert temple. That boss fight is F'N great!

Guest Smues

I beat the Lakebed Temple last night. It wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. Despite Wind Waker's Water Temple being pretty easy, I still hear "Water Temple" and fear the absolute worst thanks to Ocarina of Time. Damn game. But anyway Twilight Princess' Water Temple wasn't too bad at all, and as usual for this game a pretty cool boss battle.

Also got the master sword. Huzzah being able to change into and out of wolf form at will.

I love this game.

Finally beat the game yesterday. I took my time with game, logged in about 53 hours of play. I started the game on December 1st. This game is indeed massive. I remember playing Ocarina of Time, and beating it in 2 weeks! But then I went back to find the heart pieces and all that shiz. I'm gonna do the same with Twilight Princess. The last boss battle is EPIC....I loved every second of it! But, I found the game a bit too easy. I didn't die at all against bosses and barely died in general. The only time I died a few times was

when you have to face off against the Orc on horseback on the Bridge of Eldin.

Also,

the last boss battle where you have to go against Zelda and then fight Ganon a few times is something I will never forget.

Awesome. Glad to see some others finished the game (I just did the other day). Last boss(es) were thankfully a little harder than I expected (I didn't know what the hell to do on

Beast Ganon until Midna hinted at what to do. However, seeing him in a giant pig/boar form was great. He's even more friggin' huge than in OOT!

The horseback battle was more of a rest than anything else--you letting Zelda do most of the work. However, taking on Ganon 1 on 1...awesome. Now that's the sort of satisfying battle that Wind Waker was missing. Seemed a tad different to finish him by running him through the chest rather than through the head *shrug*.

I'm ready for Phantom Hourglass. :)

Oh, and anyone else a bit disappointed with Zant?

Renegade mentioned and I have to agree--he kind of shot his menace all to hell when you actually fought him. Hopping about, grunting and groaning...attacking/reacting like a baboon. That's too bad...he seemed really creepy until the helmet came down and he decided to explain everything *sigh*.

The game is definitely more difficult than OOT...although I have literally thousands of rupees in chests all over the game that I didn't have room for...even with a Giant Wallet!

I guess that's to make it easier on you if you have to recover them after using the Magic Armor, but still...

Anyone out there know if the Wii-less should just deal with it and buy the Cube version, or is the remote swinging really that great?

Just the remote-swinging? Not really. As mentioned, it doesn't exactly track your precise movements.

However, you have more items selectable at any given time from your D-Pad. Switching items in and out is quick and easy but also relatively rare. Also, aiming and firing arrows/the clawshot(s) = so easy and intuitive you can hardly imagine it doing any other way. Using the Wiimote, it's a cinch to aim at and shoot enemies so far off they're just a tiny little patch of pixels.

So if you're not planning to get a Wii within, oh, 6 months or so, definitely get the GC version. However, if you play the Wii version you likely won't want to play it any other way.

What the heck, I'll update everyone on my progress as well. My total play time is listed at 30 hours and 39 minutes, and I just got through the 3rd dungeon. This is the most "complete" game in recent memory, in terms of places to go and things to do, and without a doubt the best game of last year, and could end up as the best game of all time in my eyes.

You never go more than a few hours without something new being tossed your way, and it's a lot of fun to just screw around doing whatever, not even worrying about the storyline. Up to this point, I've felt like the game was somewhat pushing you along, but at this point I feel like the game loosens it's grip on you, giving you even more freedom.

I've only used a guide (GameFAQs) once, and that was when you had to

do the puzzle to get to the Master Sword

. I just didn't want to put up with that, I wanted to get on with it already. :)

And not to start going too overboard with Wii-praise, I'll say this. I don't see why Nintendo will ever produce another Zelda game without using the Wii type of controls. It's a perfect feel, and I love it. These controls can only get better from here on out, so I say bring on more games like this for the Wii. I can't imagine playing TP without the Wii controls.

Also, my favorite cutscene so far, other than nostalgic stuff, would have to be right after the 3rd dungeon:

The scene where Zant grabs Midna, lowers the bottom of his mask and saying, "I need you."

Now that was awesome.

Well, here is my favorite hidden heart piece so far:

I'm taking some time to fish right now, and I noticed a heart piece on that cliff in the middle of the lake. I started rowing around it to see where I could climb up on it to get it after I finish fishing, then decided to try and just cast my lure up there and try to hook it. I didn't think it would actually work, but it turns out that it did.

Hehe, yeah, that was really cool.

Midna is such a great character. Even thinking about comparing her to Tatl/Navi or even Issun seems like a sad joke.

Guest Smues

I beat the Desert Temple this weekend. Dear god that boss battle was awesome. I figured it couldn't live up to the hype, but I was wrong.

I finally finished the game yesterday, and I already feel like playing through it again. I think I'll grab what I didn't have time to get before doing that however, just to have that feeling that I did finish it completely. I have about a dozen heart pieces, 9 golden bugs and 30 poes soul left to get. Oh, and I still have all those rollgoal levels to clear and some fishes left to catch.

Damn, that game is huge.

Is there a "clean pause" in the Gamecube version? You know, a real pause and not just go to the submenu/item list?

No.

And I was just playing around a bit on my brother's copy (he has the Gamecube version, I have the Wii), it is confusing as hell. Just simple stuff like drawing your sword, you get so used to just have to shake the remote that pressing a button to do it seems strange.

I have all four pieces of the mirror now, but I've never been able to open up the portal above the destroyed bridge to the west of Castle Town. The only time I saw the Twili that you have to beat to open it they were on the other side just standing there. Am I screwed?

I'm stuck in the water temple and clueless like an idiot. I just released the water for the 2nd time so everything is flowing in the main room with the revolving staircase and got a heart piece in the main room across from where I obtained the clawshot earlier on. Gamefaqs is confusing me on what to do next.

... where the hell do I go?