TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: The Regionals

The 1st and 2nd Rounds are over, and after 4 Days of Great Basketball, we all know why we love College Basketball. Sure, your team may have been upset by some directional school. Sure, your bracket is a disaster area. Sure, you may have lost 200 dollars on that "Sure Bet" to win the National Title. But most people are still watching and still waiting to see what happens next.

As most of us know, the term "March Madness" is a term derived from all the upsets that usually happen in the first round, which throws the tournament out of order for the next round. However, by Sunday night, only 1 or 2 of the "cinderellas" remain, and the rest of the teams are from the Power 6 and Select Major Conferences. That is when the serious business of crowning a national Champion gets underway.

However, this year is a little bit different. Instead of One or Two non BCS Teams surviving, you have a record 5 that have made it to the second weekend, with at least one guranteed to get a shot at the Final 4. The madness is not over, for all we know it may have just begun.

With that said, it's time for the 2nd and Probably most dramatic phase of the tournament. The Regional Semi-Finals and Finals. From these rounds, the 4 Regional Champions will be determined, and a Final 4 will be established. Let the madness continue.

Guest Smues

I would really really really really really really love to see UW pull the upset against Uconn but I just can't see that happening.

Guest Brian
I would really really really really really really love to see UW pull the upset against Uconn but I just can't see that happening.

Too much size on the inside. We've got some guys who can jump, but if Jensen stands on the perimeter and then fails to box out when he's on the inside, it'll be tough, but Kentucky did mighty well and at times they looked inept when it cam to hitting the boards.

I really hope George Mason or the Shockers can get all the way to the final four. Hoping more for Mason because I like the way they play both inside and outside.

It would be cool, but I just see no way that can happen. But I do like the GMU-WSU matchup because it means one team will be one step away. What game do you all think will be the best game of the round of 16?

I think WVU-Texas will be a barnburner.

Duke-LSU has my interest to see Big Baby v. Shelden Williams.

I think Washington will give UConn a pretty good game.

Guest Sabu

I'm most interested in seeing Gonzaga-UCLA and Villanova-BC. And WSU-George Mason should be good too.

You know that if Wichita St makes the championship game

Packer will just go "So what? Villanova, from a power conference won it all as an eight seed. Seventh seed? that doesn't impress me at all. They aren't a power team and even if they win this game, it doesn't matter because they aren't in a meaningful conference. The history books will agree with me on this. Tonight never happened, folks. "

The more I think about the Packer/Nanz classless display on the selection show the more I feel it was a bit staged to drum up some controversy before the tournament.

Packer's just bitter he doesn't have the chance to wrap his mouth around Roy Williams' meat. The ACC was down this year, the Big 12 was down this year (Kansas fan here in hoops), hell the Big Ten fell flat on their face. 6 teams in and not one playing past the first weekend. Meanwhile, the evil Missouri Valley has as many teams in the Sweet 16 as Packer's beloved ACC does. Perhaps the committee knew what they were talking about.

Also...take a look at the trend the last 10 years or so...the gap between the mid-majors and the majors is closing. As a Jayhawks fan, I have to admit Bradley took KU to the woodshed. Then they did the same to a very good Pitt team. Yes the Braves only won by 4 and 6, but the games weren't really that close. Gonzaga is no longer just a Cinderella in high-tops, they're a legit threat to get to the Sweet 16 every year. Hell, Albany is sticking it to UConn for 30 minutes in their game, that would have been a pyromaniac's wet dream doing a bonfire for all those brackets that would have been shit if Albany had somehow pulled the W. The time is coming when we will once again soon see teams from the smaller conferences getting to the Elite Eight and the Final Four.

Dare I say that perhaps basketball is getting back to the way it was in the 60s and 70s? I took a look at the top 20 polls from years back then and it wasn't at all bizarre to find the likes of OVC teams, MVC, Big West, even friggin Centenary made the top 20 one year.

It should be noted that the Missouri Valley at one time was in fact a bad ass league that was certainly a major conference. U of L made some FFs out of the MVC, Memphis St. did as well. Drake made the FF in 1969 or so I think. Indiana St. made it in 1979, albeit after the MVC was blown up when the good teams left to form the Metro.

Some of the best UNLV teams from the 80s and early 90s were from when the Runnin' Rebels were in the Big West. Memphis State was a FF team from the Metro in '85 (only non Big-East team that year), and Louisville won it all in '86 from the Metro.

Some of the best UNLV teams from the 80s and early 90s were from when the Runnin' Rebels were in the Big West. Memphis State was a FF team from the Metro in '85 (only non Big-East team that year), and Louisville won it all in '86 from the Metro.

I think part of the bias now comes from certain "Superconferences" having all the teams with a perception of greatness, which is fallout going back to the SEC expansion and the subsequent Bowl Alliances in football.

Before the SEC expansion, there were the following major conferences:

SEC

Southwest (Arkansas, Texas, Texas A&M, Houston, TCU, SMU, Baylor, etc.)

Big 8 (The Big 12 minus the Texas teams)

ACC (No Florida State, Miami, BC, or V-Tech)

Big Ten

Pac Ten

Big East

WAC (BYU, UNLV)

Metro (Louisville, Cincinnati, Tulane, Memphis)

The SEC picking up Arkansas hastened the Southwest Conference's destruction, which sent four teams to the Big 8 and the rest to the WAC and Conference USA.

Conference USA was formed out of the Metro conference and various independents, such as East Carolina and Houston (cast off from the SWC).

That took an automatic bid out for one of the "major" conferences and threw their teams into one of several other conferences.

The WAC expanded too large (16 teams) and then split in two when 8 schools left to form the Mountain West.

The dominos kept tumbling for the movement of teams to the Big 6 power conferences.

Add into the mix the aggressive NCAA prosecution of some programs, typically mid-majors, (UNLV and Fresno State under Tark, Tulane after Hod Rod Williams was caught point-shaving, etc.) and you can see the landscape as it stands today.

That isn't entirely accurate about C-USA's formation. C-USA in its genesis was a combination of what was left of a crappy Metro (mainly U of L and a bunch of JTTS types like Tulane and Charlotte) and a fairly solid Great Midwest conference (Cincy, Memphis St., St. Louis, etc). Those teams were Metro at one point but left in that whole SEC expansion era...FSU went to the ACC, S. Carolina the SEC, and those others formed the Great Midwest along with Marquette.

By 1995 it was obvious that the Metro was declining so U of L was at the forefront of the merger with the Great Midwest. After all, something was missing without having Cincy and Memphis as rivals. Some teams that were deemed too small as media markets (think Va Tech and VCU, though ironically Va Tech ended up in the ultra powerful ACC years later) were sent packing and not even invited. So. Miss was kept on mainly for football. A few indie teams and leftovers from the SWC like Houston were invited.

Anyone know why U of L, Memphis St., and everyone left the MVC in the 70s? I never really knew the story there.

Can't wait for UCLA to go down. Oh yeah, LSU's gonna beat Duke too, and it's time for this thing to be bumped up to the top.

Anyone know how tall Glen Davis is?

(Real height, not listed height) Cus he has amazing quicks/agility for his mass, I just don't think he's much more than 6'9" and that might hurt him.

edit: HAH, on espn front page they say he's 6'9"...he might be undersized in the nba :( then again, he could be like elton brand if he has the work ethic.

I've got LSU, Memphis, Texas & UCLA tonight.

I think Shelden will be in foul trouble all night leaving JJ to try and do a one man gang thing which won't work.

I can't see Bradley beating a 1 seed.

Texas & UCLA were my Final Four picks from those brackets and even though I'd want West Va. to make it to represent the Big East I can't see it happening since they just don't have athletes.

As far as the West Coast game of little significance (I kid), fuck the 'Zags. I'd love for Morrison and Redick to get bounced on the same night just so I don't have to hear any more fellatio for those two from Bristol every night.

Damn, this is becoming a block party.

Shelden just got away with 2 fouls and a travel before finally getting called for the 2nd one on that play. That's gotta be a record of some kind.

Guest Smues

Well at least if Duke does lose I'll be taking a final so my dad won't be able to celebrate and rub it in my face all night.

JJ's getting a glimpse of what life will be like as a professional tonight. In other words he's going to be a bust if taken anywhere in or near the lottery.

Duke's 6th man just got involved in crunch time as Davis is going to have to sit thanks to a 4th "foul" that Dick Enberg had to call ticky tack. This one's over and Duke will advance. Bleh.

And LSU starts to come apart. Now they can't get a single shot to drop, and that nonsense foul on Davis won't help. And keeping Davis and Thomas out is idiotic. Williams is going to run wild without any inside presence, just like he did in the first half. LSU will lose this by 8-10 points with this gameplan.