TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: The Regionals

Where is George Mason?

Didn't Packer call out GM by name as one that doesn't belong?

Just outside of Washington, DC in Fairfax, VA which is why it was basically a home game for them.

And yes, Packer did call them out. So he can enjoy his humble pie now.

ETA: East Potomac Park is the memorial, I ALWAYS screw that up.

Good first half for Florida, but not such a good ending. But hell, if you told me they'd be up by 5 at the half I'd be pretty damn happy. I don't think we've seen Villanova's best game, but by the same token, I don't think we've seen Florida's best game either. I'm really hoping Joakim Noah takes over the game in the second half.

GMU is a commuter school, most students dont live on campus, and its very regional. Good graduate school for law and econ, otherwise completely average.

It's also a very international school,alot of diversity on the campus

They're going fucking nuts over there right now. People are driving into the campus and the surrounding neighborhoods, parkinh, and just running to the party.

Yeah, and me and my roommate are two of em.

Peace niggers

So the mighty Big East may not get a team ot the Final Four?

At least they got to the Elite Eight, which is more than we can say for the almighty ACC.

Florida is playing better than Nova right now, though neither are playing well. If Nova loses, they won't be the story of the day at least...UConn losing is.

Well, looks like Florida is going to win this game. Games like these show that Nova really missed Sumpter this year, and why they need to bring some size in with the next couple of recruiting classes, which they are with next year's class.

They'll be solid next year if Sumpter is healthy, the only position where there might be some iffiness is at the SF, but Shane Clark may be able to step up and play there. The starting 5 will be Nardi, Lowry, Sumpter, Sheridan, and whoever they choose for the SF, so they'll be more forward oriented and be able to deal with teams with size.

Only thing is the St. Joseph's and Temple morons will be calling WIP tonight rubbing it in, despite neither of their schools getting anywhere close to the tournament.

Joakim Noah is a damn good player, and I STILL can't believe UConn lost to George Mason.

So the Big East goes down. You know the two big power conferences are out and the two conferences that were supposed to suck(SEC and Pac 10) are gone.

I think the SEC and Pac 10 are a case of the top being really good but the bottom still sucking.

While I'm still rooting for Florida, I wouldn't mind if any of the remaining teams won it all now.

Like most, I'm glad Duke and UConn are gone. Never got the hate for Gonzaga... They never do well in the tourney. Either way, we have a nice, fresh F4.

So who's going to be the first to complain about how these aren't marquee matchups and how the ratings will be bad as if that matters to your enjoyment of the game?

I'm just happy the champion won't come from the Big East or ACC this year.

So who's going to be the first to complain about how these aren't marquee matchups and how the ratings will be bad as if that matters to your enjoyment of the game?

I'm just happy the champion won't come from the Big East or ACC this year.

Well, UCLA/LSU isn't a marquee game although UCLA is a marquee name. GMU/Florida, isn't a sizzling as GMU/Villanova would have been (with the obvious story). If interest in the G. Mason run can stay steady and they remain lovable and I can't see them not being able to, you get a game with potential in all environments from the play itself, national interest and ratings power.

You might ask "Why does ratings matter?", usually it doesn't. If it was UCONN/UCLA title game, it's basically thrown out the door. The ratings game becomes important in this case with George Mason because it will be a huge opportunity to gauge the legitimate interest in mid-major teams. If ratings increased compared to 2005's semi-final games, it points that people do want to see mid-majors and buy into the cinderella concept.

That would be important for the future, in terms of networks potentially increasing coverage of the mid-major conferences. That's why the marquee value of the final four is something to watch.

Guest Smues

http://www.thiswebsitestinks.com/ncaa_brac...asp?expertid=13

Every year on the Tony Kornheiser show he has Phil's mom (Phil was his producer for a few years when he was on ESPN radio) pick brackets because her picks are always hilarious and horribly wrong. Everyone laughed this year when she picked George Mason to win it all. She's probably the only one in the country that has them in the final 4. (of course the rest of her picks are awful and she wouldn't have won any pools anyway). Go Phil's mom!

Florida swept LSU during the regular season

In LSU's defense, their SEC Tournament game against Florida was played without Tyrus Thomas.

I'm not as sure about the regular-season game, but there may have been another significant injury at the time.

Guest Princess Leena

Now that I think about it, how did Hofstra manage to beat that team twice this year?

Makes you wonder what Hofstra would have done in the tournament huh?

The CAA might have just earned themselves a lot more berths in the future. So come ON Delaware, get off your ass and start recruiting.

Sadly, they won't get any more bids. Kent making the Elite 8 a few years ago did zero for the MAC. *still bitter about last year*.

Now that I think about it, how did Hofstra manage to beat that team twice this year?

Makes you wonder what Hofstra would have done in the tournament huh?

The CAA might have just earned themselves a lot more berths in the future. So come ON Delaware, get off your ass and start recruiting.

Sadly, they won't get any more bids. Kent making the Elite 8 a few years ago did zero for the MAC. *still bitter about last year*.

You're more than likely right but hopefully it'll get some teams some more looks. Getting to the Final Four is huge for all the mid majors as it hasn't been done since Indiana St and they were a 1 seed that year. I think the selection group needed a team to finally come along and justify the mid major teams should be in for the future. Both Kent St and the Zags had partially opened the door, now they just need someone to kick it open.

It also helped that a lot of the mid majors got out of the first round.

Once again fuck the ratings and big names. Let's just watch basketball.

A big name or Big East/ACC team in the final four or winning it all would've been boring.

Then again a national title game with two teams from the same conference would be boring too.

There is a big truth that always stands in sports: Fans love the underdog.

Trust me, CBS will not be hurting if George Mason gets to the finals unless Mason implodes.

CBS is fine no matter what the outcome is. Although an all SEC finals is probably the worst thing for the ratings.