TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bigm350

Bret Hart's legacy

Guest bigm350

I know that Bret was a guy that took alot of pride in his work, in making his matches look as realistic as possible, and his claim of never having injured anyone, and generally trying to be a role model and a hero of sorts to kids. My question is, is how is his legacy viewed to us fans, especially after the much talked about Survivor Series screwjob, and his forgettable stint in WCW, and all the variables going on today, with Bret doing a WWE dvd, and his acceptance in the HOF? Is his legacy at a high level? Was it ever at as high a level as Bret thinks? Will his body of work over his career prove how truly great he was? Or was Bret's legacy overhyped?

I think he did enough in his career to say that he has left a good legacy...I don't think the Montreal Screwjob and his pretty bland run in WCW completely blow it all away...hell, he's just as significant in the late 90s surge in pro wrestling as anyone else. Bret Hart the wrestler does have a good legacy...Bret Hart the man? That's another discussion right there.

No, it's not.

It's been 8.5 years since Montreal, the guy's had a stroke, and I think he realised that there's more important things in life then continuing to be bitter and hating on Vince.

No, it's not.

It's been 8.5 years since Montreal, the guy's had a stroke, and I think he realised that there's more important things in life then continuing to be bitter and hating on Vince.

He hasn't gotten over it, not even close. Every mention of his name, the Montreal screw job, Survivor Series 1997, Vince McMahon, "Ring the bell", "Bret SCREWED Bret" - the hate brews within him and he goes to his room and locks the door, crying himself to sleep.

Personally, I find Bret a little overrated (especially by himself), but he was one of the lone bright spots in mid-90's, which was a rather dull time for the WWF. The best thing he did was act as a stepping stone for the rise of Steve Austin. I think his legacy will be similar to that of Flair, on a smaller scale. People will generally agree he's one of the greats, but later on his work will be analyzed more critically leading to a more realistic perception.

No, it's not.

He hasn't gotten over it, not even close. Every mention of his name, the Montreal screw job, Survivor Series 1997, Vince McMahon, "Ring the bell", "Bret SCREWED Bret" - the hate brews within him and he goes to his room and locks the door, crying himself to sleep.

Vince is the one who hasn't gotten over it, and to a lesser extent Michaels. It's not Bret that keeps tipping his hat to it on TV.

As far as Bret's legacy, I think it's solid. His WCW run is so forgettable that I really don't think it hurts how he's viewed in the long run. When people think of Bret they think of Owen, Mr. Perfect, and the British Bulldogs. They don't think of him as a nWo guy or the guy that cost Randy Savage the world title for no apparent reason.

Could it be stronger? Sure. I think being out of the limelight for 6 years and being out of WWE for 9 years has certainly effected that standing.

No, it's not.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT and what do you have to support that? the orifice where you pulled it from?

Now how good is he?

He's the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be

(How can you resist a set up like that?)

No, it's not.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT and what do you have to support that? the orifice where you pulled it from?

Now how good is he?

He's the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be

(How can you resist a set up like that?)

It was a joke...... :asshole2:

I think his WCW run isn't going to hurt him as much as people thought.

As cawthon said, no one remembers it at all.

Bret is a huge mark for himself, but when you've had the matches he's had, I guess it comes with the territory.

Bret's legacy is that of a total package. He could cut a promo, and have a great match with just about everyone. He is a tremendous seller, and young workers should watch tapes of how great this guy sells stuff.

My two favorite Bret Hart sell jobs

When Luger hit him with a fake bat on Nitro, Bret sold it like gold. People were wondering if he really got hit with a real bat.

And when Michaels superkicked him into the wheelchair on Raw.

A smiliar thread was started when it was announced Bret would be entering the HOF(which I still say I'll believe when I see).

I don't think of the Montreal thing as my first thought of Bret Hart. Probably not even first three or four thoughts.

I still think of Bret as one of the greatest performers and wrestlers of my time.

During Bret's HOF speech, Vince should ring a bell constantly or a fan should sneek one in. The tirade afterwards would be priceless.

ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN! the show is on April 1 afterall. That would be perfectly acceptable if it was the Slammy's but this is the Hall of Fame which is suppose to be serious.

Among critics, it seems Bret Hart's legacy is fine. His matches generally hold up to heavy analysis because he was fundamentally sound. The problem of him being repetitive isn't really a big deal in his better matches, so I don't believe that's a mark against him either. He might be a mark for himself (and well, yea), but he's probably a hell of a lot closer to the mark than some other guys who like to claim they were/are "the best in-ring worker ever".

It appears that the non-critic fans think highly of him too, just based on what I see online, and the crowds who seem to yearn for a return by him. Obviously he's not as popular as an Austin or Rock or Hogan, but I think he definitely fits in with the next tier of stars.

Guest CWMwasmurdered

Bret is a huge mark for himself, but when you've had the matches he's had, I guess it comes with the territory.

Definetly, I think the only things most people remember from his WCW run are when He used a steel plate to absorbe a spear from Goldberg, and the Owen Hart tribute match with Benoit.

Definetly, I think the only things most people remember from his WCW run are when He used a steel plate to absorbe a spear from Goldberg, and the Owen Hart tribute match with Benoit.

And that he was forced to retire and was fired while recovering from multiple concussions.

he's just as significant in the late 90s surge in pro wrestling as anyone else

As significant as DX, Austin, and the NWO?

Bret absolutely made Austin in their feud. Since Austin caused the boom, you have to say Bret was vital.

Bret absolutely made Austin in their feud. Since Austin caused the boom, you have to say Bret was vital.

As well as Bret's involvment in propeling the evil emperor image of Vince McMahon, which was without question, a major part of the era.

I agree. Let's face it, in some way virtually every angle or booking decision of the past 9 years has had something to do with Bret Hart. He made Austin's career and also by being screwed made Vince's onscreen character that he is still running into the ground today.

I've often wondered if Bret was bitter simply because he was screwed, or if it was because he was screwed and Vince used it to launch the WWF to new heights. If they had totally fallen apart after Montreal, I wonder if Bret would be so bitter.

Not to totally kill the thread, but what would have happened if Bret retained the title at SS and forfeited the next night on RAW? If the whole screw job didn't happen, would that have changed the way people saw Bret today? Did the screw job make him a bigger star than he would have been had it not happened?

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, so I appologize for reposting. But I haven't been here that long.

Not to totally kill the thread, but what would have happened if Bret retained the title at SS and forfeited the next night on RAW? If the whole screw job didn't happen, would that have changed the way people saw Bret today? Did the screw job make him a bigger star than he would have been had it not happened?

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, so I appologize for reposting. But I haven't been here that long.

Bret, still would have been ruined in WCW. Bret, likely would be on better terms to say the least with WWE (DVD treatment would have came sooner) Shawn and Bret, would still be mortal enemies (as Vince and Bret, aren't). Alot of re-hashed booking from the McMahons would never exist.

The morals and truths of what should, could and would've happened in regards to Montreal, doesn't need to be discussed again, as it's been debated on every wrestling related forum since November 9th, 1997.

The greatest technical wrestler of all time and one of the best champions the WWE has ever had.

To me, Bret Hart was the WWF during the down period of 1992-1997. If anything's going to tarnish his legacy, it's that he was never "The Man" during a boom period for the business, so he's not the household name that Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin and The Rock are; however, in my opinion, WWE would not be around today if it weren't for Bret.

Bret legacy goes far beyond the screwjob. People know he was a great worker and that he was a true pro in and out of the ring.

As well as Bret's involvment in propeling the evil emperor image of Vince McMahon, which was without question, a major part of the era.

whew, thanks guys, I didn't think I was going have to explain that one...guess I should have right from the get go.