TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

MLB: Week 1 (4/2-4/9)

Does anyone beside the media care about past steroid use? This investigation is pointless. You aren't going to get any real information, and more importantly, I don't think most fans care all that much. They just want to enjoy the upcoming season.

I care. Now what is done in the past is done, and there isn't much they can do about it. MLB wasn't even testing at the time. Let those records stand, it is too much of a mess to try and clean up and we probably won't ever have conclusive evidence (barring confessions) anyways. But it should be cleaned up in the present and for the future. Just because something has been happening doesn't mean it should continue to happen. If so, slavery would still be legal in the United States.

My real interest this week is the big Santana/Halladay matchup on Tuesday.

It certainly makes them more talented, but I don't know if they really needed him. They are already lefty heavy as it is and giving up Tejeda for someone who is going to scrap for ABs with Victorino is pretty hefty.

Something that I am wondering about now, though, is if either Rowand's hand or Burrell's foot is going to be a lingering issue and they felt they needed some insurance in case Delluci or Victorino is pressed into a starting role.

And only one more pitcher is needed for Texas to get a complete set of Ex-Phils.

I think it's a terrific move, value wise. Tejeda walked 3.8 batters per nine career in the minors. He walked 51 in 85.7 big league innings. His 2005 season has fluke written all over it. Delucci provides a needed fifth outfielder and prevents stupid ideas such as Alex Gonzalez: LF.

The move also unites Jake Blalock in Texas with his brother Hank. Blalock's shown little indication of being any kind of real prospect.

Well, Wright was amazing last ST before fucking his shoulder up, and he had a horrific spring this year. So, that means hes going to be good, right?!? RIGHT!?

I swear if Wang and Chacon turn out to suck the Yanks are fucking SCREWED.

yea thats pretty much the case. But since I'm back in NY this year I think they will do well :D I'd like to think I am good luck.

It's unpredictable actually. Well have to wait and see.

But I am psyched to see baseball back and personally I'm thrilled that I can actually watch Yankee games this year besides the ones on espn

Since one of the bigger opening series is the A's/Yankees in Oakland and that there is always plenty of Yankee discussion on the forum I figured I'd mention something in advance before Monday's game. For those that don't know the A's have decided to tarp off their upper deck for the entire season. Just to avoid the "why is the upper deck tarped off?" questions come Monday.

The idea is to increase season ticket sales by limiting the availability for fans to walk up right before a game and buy tickets. The A's have led the Majors in walk up attendance on a regular basis because they can fit 55,000 in the Coliseum and they have a low season ticket base. Also they do this so they know in advance how many vendors/ticket takers/etc they need for each game as there has been a handful of games in the past for the A's where they would for example sell 15,000 presale and then end up with a 20,000 walk up crowd. In the end the ownership is trying to maxmize revenues and who could blame them? Of course some of the natives are royally pissed off and making a much bigger deal of it than necessary, although I would agree it seems counter productive to do it for all games especially Opening Night when they could easily clear 50,000 against the Yankees. Not sure if people who can't get tickets to the Yankees series will suddenly turn around buy tickets to see the Royals.

It sucks somewhat for me. Living in Sacramento, I would routinely make the drive to Oakland, KNOWING there would be at least 10-15K tickets available for me when I get to the ticket window. I have a buddy (DangerousA) that lives in San Leandro, so I would routinely meet him at the Plaza Level ticket window, and we decide right on the spot how much we wanted to spend and where we wanted to sit. I mean it is a lot easier to have an actual person there who can look up seat locations rather then rely on the internet seating chart. Also with only about 34,000 Seats available daily, this makes it harder to get GOOD SEATS when walking up as opposed to just walking up and buying upper reserve. I think I read that now the Outfield Plaza Level seats will be the price that upper reserve seats used to be.

You'd think they would UNTARP when needed for series like the opener, and the A's/Giants series, the August/September Playoff Implication Games, and ESPECIALLY the Playoffs(If Necessary)

Other then the tarping issue, I am so damn excited for the season to start.

The upper deck will be opened for the playoffs if they make it. Actually they'll have to untarp everything come August when the Raiders play their first preseason game.

Rain is in the forecast for both Monday and Tuesday which creates a big problem. It is the Yankees only trip to Oakland all year and typically there is an off day the first week of the season but the A's don't have one this year and have to travel to Seattle immediately following Wednesday night's game (A night game on a getaway day?) so they have no chance for a make up date. So warning to Yankee fans both Monday and Tuesday's game might go well into the morning EST hours as they will probably play as long as they have to to get official games in.

Guest Smues

I really hope the Braves game does not get rained out, but I would not mind an hour or two of rain delay so it wouldn't start before I got home from class.

I really hope the Braves game does not get rained out, but I would not mind an hour or two of rain delay so it wouldn't start before I got home from class.

I hope not, I want to be home to watch the game.

Kruk is the one who said Randy Johnson would win 30 games last season. I stopped taking what the Baseball Tonight crew says, as a whole, seriously a while ago. Gammons is the only one who seems to have a clue what's going on. And Dave Campbell, but he seems to be regulated to ESPN Radio and guest spots on ESPN News.

Guest NYankees

But Joe Morgan said that CC Sabathia was going to win 20 games this year.

The game was just getting exciting when the rain rolled in. I've gotta think that the game will eventually be cancelled at this rate.

But Joe Morgan said that CC Sabathia was going to win 20 games this year.

I know it's cool to rip on Joe Morgan, but I don't necessarily disagree with him. C.C. was lights OUT last season after he learned to actually take a little bit off his pitches every now and then. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him win 20 games.

Guest Wart

The game is supposed to resume at 12:20 AM et.

I'm hoping for extra innings.

It's a good thing this series doesn't continue until Tuesday, is all I'll say.

Edit: Annnnnnnd now the stadium's barren. Can't really blame 'em.