TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masked Man of Mystery

Movies that everyone loves that you cannot get the love for

i judge people by whether they like napoleon dynamite or not. its always a good indication of what they are all about.

I'd hate to think that before 2 years ago you had no way of deciding who to be friends with.

I have a few...will go all over the place here.

Van Wilder...my wife brings this home one night when I was sick, the guy at the rental store told her that since I loved Animal House I'd like it. I wanted to find that kid that recommended it so I could beat him about the head and shoulders with it. The jokes seemed forced to me.

Titanic...ship sinks, lot of people die. Making a love story about a disaster just doesn't work...look also at "Pearl Harbor."

Brokeback Mountain...don't care for it, I'm not much of a love story person. Don't matter if it's man-woman, woman-man, man-man, woman-woman..or man-woman-cat...Don't care, don't want to see it.

Grease...the whole world loves it...but I just don't get it.

I guess it's not a movie that everyone loves since it got such a limited release, but What The Bleep Do We Know was fucking terrible

Van Wilder...my wife brings this home one night when I was sick, the guy at the rental store told her that since I loved Animal House I'd like it. I wanted to find that kid that recommended it so I could beat him about the head and shoulders with it. The jokes seemed forced to me.

Wow, a lot of people like Van Wilder? That's just...wow...I refuse to believe that.

And yeah, I get it that Brokeback was more realistic in that the fantastic didn't happen...but how am I supposed to like EITHER of the main characters when there's nothing to like about them? I initially liked Ennis, somebody who succumbed to his repressed homosexual desires and then repressed them again to be back with his wife and raise his daughters, but after Jack came back into his life he became a complete fucking asshole. Forgot about his wife, forgot about his daughters, and left everything to be with Jack...who he had known for a few weeks, if even, before not seeing him for at least three years.

And Jack...he was just a fucking slut. The guy was all about getting off, no matter with who. First Ennis, then his wife (favorite scene of the movie has Anne Hathaway showing her tits), and then via male prostitutes in Mexico. Neither man had any real sense of loyalty to anybody but each other, and even then: Jack didn't exactly seem very loyal to Ennis, and vice versa.

Unlikeable characters? Check. Poor editing? Check. Hollywood hooplah and GLAAD sponsorship because a movie decided to have gay characters that weren't portrayed as queens? Check. These three things lead to my dislike of the movie, particularly the fact that the only characters I did like were Ennis' daughters and his wife (since they were just caught up in everything) and Jack's wife and that EVERY SINGLE CUT BETWEEN SCENES WAS A FUCKING FADE.

Hey, the Laz finally delivers on his brokeback thread, and it's with a good review! I'm probably still going to see it.

I think we can put Napolean Dynamite to rest, it's obviously a dividing film, I think it's funny, but it's so obviously 50/50.

I saw Capote, good flick. But, though I love PSH, Joaquin Phoenix should have killed him in the best actor category. He certainly killed Jaimie Foxx. Emulating Johnny Cash is a lot harder than emulating an intense, fey journalist who falls into alcoholism.

It was a great performance no doubt, and he looks like Capote, but Phoenix would've had it in a walk If it hadn't been for: "Well, we already gave it to a great emulation of a beloved songster who recently died, and we're certainly not going to gice it to Straithern"-itis.

Ok, I like my horror movies: Don't like Bad Taste. It's incredibly stupid and spastic, before Peter Jackson learned to tone it down just a LITTLE. The last half is basically a lame Miama Vice shoot-out. Meet the Feebles and Braindead have SO much more humor.

On that subject, Evil Dead ain't all that. It;s an incredible acheivment to low-budget filmmaking. It's a good horror movie. But Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness are what made it special.

Guest NYankees

Van Wilder is a very funny film. Wedding Crashers and the 40 Year Old Virgin are both highly overrated.

And now, a related story told for no particular reason...

About 6 years ago I walked into a supermarket video department (a store where I once worked) where they had been playing the movie "Baby Geniuses" on a continous loop. Now, 've never actually seen the movie, but I do remember the venemous bad reviews it had gotten when it was released, and that it didn't particularly gross a ot of money, either. So, being the curious devil that I am, I had to ask.

"Why do you keep showing 'Baby Geniuses' on the monitor?"

The answer from the teenage girl behind the counter: "We have to show what's popular."

That may have been the clearest example of a statement by a non-politician who was out of touch with public opinion I've ever heard.

Prisoner of Azkaban is the worst of the Potter movies. They assassinated the all three of the trios characters, too many lines given to Emma Waston, too much pink power ranger grrl power crap. I love the book, but the movie is weak ass shit.

Wolf Creek. I just watched the DVD the other day. Another round of dumb girls, plus a dumb villain as well. He just leaves guns and ammo laying around, all three of his prisoners manage to escape at one point or another. Plus, one actually puts a hole in his neck. Speaking of that, one girl manages to knock him out on the floor momentarily, but can't finish him off? LAME! The ending sucks too.

Guest Sylvan Grenier

i judge people by whether they like napoleon dynamite or not. its always a good indication of what they are all about.

I'd hate to think that before 2 years ago you had no way of deciding who to be friends with.

Banky has more ways to judge his acquaintances than mere mortals can comprehend. Fret not, Jerk

Van Wilder is a very funny film. Wedding Crashers and the 40 Year Old Virgin are both highly overrated.

Ha ha! Bodily fluids! It;s pretty funny. Best part is when everyone is drinking dog semen(roofle), you hear this small, effeminate voice in the background: "I think I've had this before!"

Guest NYankees

Ha ha! Bodily fluids! It;s pretty funny. Best part is when everyone is drinking dog semen(roofle), you hear this small, effeminate voice in the background: "I think I've had this before!"

In the same scene the guy from 90210 is shooting the sperm into his mouth and it looks like a fucking cum shot. How anybody can hate that movie is beyond me. I remember seeing trailers for the movie and going ooo boy this movie is going to suck. I watched it at a friends house a year later when it was on dvd and went damn I was completely wrong about this movie. Plus it has Booger from Revenge of the Nerds.

Prisoner of Azkaban is the worst of the Potter movies. They assassinated the all three of the trios characters, too many lines given to Emma Waston, too much pink power ranger grrl power crap. I love the book, but the movie is weak ass shit.

Disagree. I'd list Azkaban & Goblet as tied for the "Best Potter Film" prize, with Azkaban getting the slight edge in terms of story, whereas Goblet has the edge in presentation.

Wolf Creek. I just watched the DVD the other day. Another round of dumb girls, plus a dumb villain as well. He just leaves guns and ammo laying around, all three of his prisoners manage to escape at one point or another. Plus, one actually puts a hole in his neck. Speaking of that, one girl manages to knock him out on the floor momentarily, but can't finish him off? LAME! The ending sucks too.

Read my recent review of that film in the "What Movie Did You...." thread. Needless to say, we both agree that it's a big steaming pile of shit.

I'd disagree with this, witht he caveat that they assasinated Rupert Grint's (Ron) character by giving all of his lines to Emma Watson. Especially in the Shrieking Shack, when in the book Ron stands up on his broken leg in front of Harry, telling Sirius that he'd have to go through him to get to Harry. Actually, I think it's pretty clear that the script writer wants a Harry/Hermione relationship in the movies, more than a Ron/Hermione.

Enough of that, the movies I just don't see the love for would be Rocky Horror Picture Show, Van Wilder (and all of the recent movies like that), and the more recent horror movies (Wolf Creek, Hostel).

I'd also put Greece in here, but I can see where the lvoe for that movie comes from.

There's a movie about the country of Greece?! WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED OF THIS?!

But yeah. The love for Grease is the love for high school, the love for early rock n' roll, and the love for when John Travolta was still a good actor and willing to do anything. Plus...you KNOW you love the theme song by (Andy, IIRC) Gibb. Why? Well...because grease is the fucking word.

Plus...you KNOW you love the theme song by (Andy, IIRC) Gibb. Why? Well...because grease is the fucking word.

Frankie Valli. It was originally going to be done by Frankie Avalon, but there was some sort of incident (which I can't remember off-hand) and it ended up with Avalon getting to be in the film and singing "Beauty School Dropout".

There's a movie about the country of Greece?! WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED OF THIS?!

But yeah. The love for Grease is the love for high school, the love for early rock n' roll, and the love for when John Travolta was still a good actor and willing to do anything. Plus...you KNOW you love the theme song by (Andy, IIRC) Gibb. Why? Well...because grease is the fucking word.

D'oh. Oh well. I only liked two freaking songs out of that whole movie, so who can blame me if I can't spell it correctly?

True, but you can't diss the scene with Taj & Naomi. Not because it was actually funny, but because Naomi looked awesome.

Guest NYankees

True, but you can't diss the scene with Taj & Naomi. Not because it was actually funny, but because Naomi looked awesome.

Naomi is I Moan backwards.

I thought Wedding Crashers was a boring paint by the numbers gross out comedy they've been cranking out sense Their's Something About Mary, but I did like 40 Year Old Virgin.

Jerry McGuire is also a move that I've come to hate with a pasion, and I love Rene and like Cruise in the films. Typical chick flick, showing heart in the sports agency field is just completly stupid and counter productive, have the crappy feel good advice Cruises mentor gives him, and I want to shoot that retarded looking kid everytime he's on screen.

pretty sure that may have been dependant on caddyshack.

pretty sure that may have been dependant on caddyshack.

Fair enough.

I actually remember liking Van Wilder a fair amount when it came out (though I have a violent aversion to Tara Reid), I just can't remember anything about the movie aside from the scene I mentioned, and the shitting in the basket scene.

My favorite joke may have actually come from a promo piece for the movie. Someone's 'interviewing' Van Wilder, and he's leaning back all smug, and says something to the effect of, "what can I say? It's the 90's. I'm a 90's type of guy."

Interviewer: ..Actually, it's 2001.

Wilder gets this distraught look on his face and leans forward and sputters "When... when did this happen?"

I thought it was funny.

I'd say Evil Dead 1 is played for the most part straight, it's just that it comes off funny. Now Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness? Those are played flat out for laughs.