TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

Has Lou Holtz been mentioned in this thread?

Lou Holtz.

I'm sorry, but his pep talks make him damn near the best thing on ESPN.

It helped the Irish get pumped to take down that powerhouse Duke team this week!

I think this might be the first time all season that the team Lou gave a pep talk too didn't lose by two touchdowns.

Tony Reali brings the goods. A few days ago he referred to the MLB MVP awards as being "A pathetic attempt to stay relevant after the season is over", and is promptly backed up by ESPN's 3-day long coverage of "Rollins v. Holliday: Who deserved it?".

Coincidentally I've no clue who the AL MVP is.

While having the Syracuse/Ohio State game on as background noise I hear this SportsCenter tease:

Plus what Tony Romo can almost do as well as Snoop!

Check, please.

Anyone see Sportscenter on Monday? I think it was Monday when they had Jay Harris say "Breaking news out of LA, A trade has gone down." Then they go to commercial and when they comeback he says "It's not Kobe but Brian Cook." I guess they really need the ratings.

Anyone see Sportscenter on Monday? I think it was Monday when they had Jay Harris say "Breaking news out of LA, A trade has gone down." Then they go to commercial and when they comeback he says "It's not Kobe but Brian Cook." I guess they really need the ratings.

I saw that as well. I thought I heard that 6 PM sportscenter has been struggling in the rating recently, so this might that been their attempt to keep viewers. However, I believe that a maneuver like this can really backfire on your audience.

That particular article didn't do that, he just represented all the jackasses who think every single thing their child does is magical and wonderful. He probably forces people at Starbucks to look at pictures of those kids all dressed up in Celtics gear and those people are forced to "aww" that shit.

I guess it's inevitable... no matter how much someone claims they're not going to become that parent, as I remember Simmons saying shortly after his kid came out (saying something along the lines of "I'm not going to devote entire columns to my kid. I hate those people and so do you."), they will eventually become that parent

Time for Bill Simmons to retire, I think. One thing I can't stand is when columnists devote entire columns to their kids, and he's just written his second.

Maybe if some underhanded website/group of people launched a smear campaign against the kid (it worked for Peter King!)

He's not as good as he once was and he annoys me every now and then but I still read everything he writes.

Which is more then I can say for anyone not named Will Leitch.

I saw that as well. I thought I heard that 6 PM sportscenter has been struggling in the rating recently, so this might that been their attempt to keep viewers. However, I believe that a maneuver like this can really backfire on your audience.

Its not quite the same, but the teases that the hosts seem forced to do on radio (even on the local end) are quite annoying.

This morning Eric Kasilius was filling in for Mike Greenberg, and before the 7:20 break he teased someone he thought should be MVP and it wasn't a member of the Pats. Then he and Golic spend the next segment on Sean Taylor, and Eric then teases his non-Pats MVP guy AGAIN! I guess he figured he would announce it on when John Clayton was on because thats when he "finally" said he thought Farve deserved the MVP nod.

Hence why teases are dumb for talk show radio, unless its for a guest in the next segement, since you never know how a conversation is going to go when you come out of the break.

One time I was listening to a local ESPN host tease a take he had, never got to it in the next segment, then he teased it again at the end of several segments, and by the end of the show he never did get to say what his take was. And it wasn't like news was breaking all afternoon, the guy simply could not reign his show to go the way he wanted it to and it got lost in all the other crap that was going on in the show.

USC WILL NOT BE PLAYING FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

blah blah blah some stuff about lsu and ohio state

What's with all the nitpicking on Randy Mosss not finishing his routes and the lack of a run game for New England? Are they just trying to piss off the Patriots even more?

Well it worked tonight didn't it?

I don't know who's a bigger idiot on the Worldwide Leader, Matthew Berry and his shitty picks or Kirk Herbstriet and his shitty views?

Matthew Berry is a bigger idiot. Herbstreit is a former college player who offers insight on the game. Matthew Berry is a douchebag who tells you not to start Shaun Alexander on your fantasy team.

Matthew Berry is a bigger idiot. Herbstreit is a former college player who offers insight on the game. Matthew Berry is a douchebag who tells you not to start Shaun Alexander on your fantasy team.

Honestly though, would you start Alexander with the way he has played this season?

Honestly though, would you start Alexander with the way he has played this season?

I have.

My starting RBs were Alexander and Lynch, until they both went down with injury, and it's been a fucking rotating door at RB now on my team. I haven't used the same 2 RBs since week 8. Wee...fun.

(but I'm still somehow 7-6)

Stephen A. Smith hates you and all your kin.

From that link:

I respect the journalism industry, and the fact of the matter is ...someone with no training should not be allowed to have any kind of format whatsoever to disseminate to the masses to the level which they can. They are not trained. Not experts.

The only "training" involved is remembering AP style/etc, for anal-retentive editors trying to justify their jobs. I defend Smith on a number of things, but he's flat-out wrong with this one.

I respect the journalism industry, and the fact of the matter is ...someone with no training should not be allowed to have any kind of format whatsoever to disseminate to the masses to the level which they can. They are not trained. Not experts.

The only "training" involved is remembering AP style/etc, for anal-retentive editors trying to justify their jobs. I defend Smith on a number of things, but he's flat-out wrong with this one.

I hope you did that on purpose.

ESPN wholly ignores the development of the sabermetric community and advanced metrics in baseball, then hires John Hollinger to steal all their shit and (substandardly) apply it to basketball and promote it on their main page.

Guest A.BUTCHER'S HOUSE OF RIBS

Nice to see the Patriots have their own section on ESPNEWS bottom line. This shit has to end this weekend.

ESPN wholly ignores the development of the sabermetric community and advanced metrics in baseball, then hires John Hollinger to steal all their shit and (substandardly) apply it to basketball and promote it on their main page.

Umm, ESPN's website employs Rob Neyer and for a time utilized John Sickels and Baseball Prospectus. They had the best sabermetric statistics on their website before the Hardball Times website kicked it into high gear a year or two ago.

Nice to see the Patriots have their own section on ESPNEWS bottom line. This shit has to end this weekend.

They're pursuing perfection, remember?

They seem to be trying to drum up interest in this week's MNF game by comparing it to eating bad seafood.

Mike Indiana: How did your mediocre basketball career prepare you for a mediocre broadcasting career?

Doug Gottlieb: (4:04 PM ET ) So your mediocre life can prepare you for a mediocre afterlife...and by the way, which one of us works for ESPN... hey and next time...when I you say 30 minutes or less....get here on time with my pizza.

John (Notre Dame): Doug, I lost my credit card, where were you last night?

SportsNation Doug Gottlieb: (4:27 PM ET ) Ask your mom.

Johns Mom (Notre Dame): GOTTLIEB I KNOW YOU STOLE MY SON'S CREDIT CARD!

SportsNation Doug Gottlieb: (4:34 PM ET ) Ten years ago I made a mistake...and payed for it...18 years ago YOU WERE your parents mistake and they are still paying for it.