TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

Guest Smues

Not that many years ago on Superbowl Sunday ESPN would play the half an hour highlight films thing for every superbowl leading up to the game. Now they're just showing the ones for a couple of Patriots superbowls, and then it's MADDEN NATION BABY!!

Not that many years ago on Superbowl Sunday ESPN would play the half an hour highlight films thing for every superbowl leading up to the game. Now they're just showing the ones for a couple of Patriots superbowls, and then it's MADDEN NATION BABY!!

ESPN2 has been showing them for the past couple of days. They dropped doing every single game and stuck with the games with NE and NY as well as the more famous/popular games.

SEE that's what I don't like. ESPN should be promoting sports. I remember before Carolina vs New England in their Superbowl ESPN was talking about how no one would want to watch because of the teams involved. This was before New England was the team of the decade or anything. They ripped on the game all week everyone said it would suck. THey laughed at the lack of star power. Basically they shit all over the game before it even happened! Just like they shit all over hockey whenever they get the opportunity. And then look that Superbowl became one the best ones.

ESPN is obsessed with tradition and less focused on promoting the sports now. If it's not a team in a big market(for that sport) they don't give a shit. To hell with the fact that every franchise started somewhere. If it's not a moneymaker they won't talk about it.

Skip Bayless just said that the Eli escape/Tyree catch wasn't the best play on that drive let alone in the game. He also refuses to back down on his assumption that Coughlin made "the worst coaching decision ever" by playing all out in Week 17. I understand they need to have point/counterpoint arguments, but when no one can take your stance seriously it's just stupid.

Skip Bayless just said that the Eli escape/Tyree catch wasn't the best play on that drive let alone in the game. He also refuses to back down on his assumption that Coughlin made "the worst coaching decision ever" by playing all out in Week 17. I understand they need to have point/counterpoint arguments, but when no one can take your stance seriously it's just stupid.

The stupid shit Skip Bayless says could stand in a separate thread of its own.

Coughlin made "the worst coaching decision ever" by playing all out in Week 17. I understand they need to have point/counterpoint arguments, but when no one can take your stance seriously it's just stupid.

No that'd be going for it on 4th and 13 when you are in realistic field goal range in the SuperBowl.

Coughlin made "the worst coaching decision ever" by playing all out in Week 17. I understand they need to have point/counterpoint arguments, but when no one can take your stance seriously it's just stupid.

No that'd be going for it on 4th and 13 when you are in realistic field goal range in the SuperBowl.

When your offensive line can't block a three man rush and your quarterback is firing the ball out of bounds deep no less!

....I like Bill Simmons. I don't know why, I just do. I certainly understand all of the criticisms against them and I think most of them are right but I like the guy.

This forum can't change my love for Bill Simmons and Chuck Klosterman

....I like Bill Simmons. I don't know why, I just do. I certainly understand all of the criticisms against them and I think most of them are right but I like the guy.

I like Klosterman and Simmons as well, but I get why they aren't liked. With Simmons, I think a lot of people expect a professional writer or journalist with insights into sports. He is not that guy. He's just a blogger from Boston that got a good gig because he had funny pop culture references and came off like an everyday fan. If that's not what you expect going in, there is no chance you'll like him. Why even try?

Why would it make him feel better? He gets paid a mil and a half just to write self-centered bullshit as a caricature of the typical Boston sports fan.

There was a twinge of sarcasm in there because my jaw dropped when I heard his salary myself.

I was a HUGE fan of him back in the day... I even bought his book and thorougly enjoyed it when I have little interest in the Red Sox/Yankee rivalry. I'll probably buy his epic NBA book (that he's been dropping hints about for about a year now) when it comes out too. But I see where people are coming from with his paint by the numbers columns.

Will Leitch said it best. His career might have been saved by the Patriots not winning because if he wrote his column after having attended Tom Brady's celebration (as he planned) it would have pushed a lot of people over the edge.

He was good before Boston Mania took over.

Well that, and when he got married and had kids.

I mean, he started as the "Boston Sports Guy." Perhaps that was a cute gimmick when Boston fans were the most miserable, lovable losers in sports. But that whole down in the dumps routine ceases to work when you are multi-millionaire writing for ESPN and cheering for a city that has won 5 championships this decade.

Chuck Klosterman is hilarious.

There is nothing wrong with Simmons article. He doesn't pretend he is the end all be all authority on sports, points out when he is hilariously wrong (Like the Yao Ming ove Jason Williams draft pick being a mistake and Orlando being stupid for taking Dwight Howard over Okafor), says he is a Boston fanatic and doesn't make apologies for it.

It was annoying at one point until I realized reading his articles is like reading a post on here with alot less cursing.

Guest Blue Man Czech

Speaking of Page 2, in contrast to the recent parade of awful Bill Simmons columns, Scoop Jackson actually put out a nice piece detailing the five-part sports failure that is Chicago without directly putting all the blame on white people. Curiously, however, he said "we Cubs fans," when I was almost certain he was a Sox fan.