TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

WWE match of the year so far?

Guest wildpegasus
No, you got it wrong. That shot was aimed at Just Joe. My point was that he's your favourite wrestler BECAUSE he is the best, so of course you're gonna like his matches more, and that's ok.

Unless you already knew that. I can't tell.

Yup, I know that's what you meant.

Guest Princess Leena

Mickie/Trish is easily my most enjoyed match of the year. And that's what I base MOTY on.

I watched MITB II the other day and I can't in any way give it more than ***. Sure there were some cool spots (Flair taking the superplex, Benjamin's dive and his springboard onto the ladder), but the timing was sloppy as guys were having to stupidly stand on top of the ladder to wait for someone to join them for the next spot when they logically could have just grabbed the briefcase with no problem. Plus, we've seen most of these spots done before; there wasn't much original outside of Shelton's spots (though nobody got crotched on the ropes this time, which is a step up).

I'd definitely put Trish/Mickie above it so far in a WWE MOTY voting. I haven't watched much WWE this year, so I can't comment on the other matches discussed.

Well so far we got

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Fit Finaly

Chris Benoit vs Randy Orton No Holds Barred

Chris Benoit vs JBL Steel Cage Match

Mark Henry vs Rey Mysterio Jr. Smackdown 1/20/06

Chris Benoit vs Randy Orton Smackdown Match #7 of best of 7

Money in the Bank from Wrestlemania which I personally feel is underrated

Trish Stratus vs Mickie James Wrestlemania

Undertaker vs Kurt Angle 2/19/2006

These are just some matches that come to mind. Benoit vs JBL is probably my fav right now. Feel free to mention something that's not here.

You lost big time for failing to mention Angle Vs. UT at NWO.

Hell you mentioned there SD match which wasnt as good.

Well so far we got

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Fit Finaly

Chris Benoit vs Randy Orton No Holds Barred

Chris Benoit vs JBL Steel Cage Match

Mark Henry vs Rey Mysterio Jr. Smackdown 1/20/06

Chris Benoit vs Randy Orton Smackdown Match #7 of best of 7

Money in the Bank from Wrestlemania which I personally feel is underrated

Trish Stratus vs Mickie James Wrestlemania

These are just some matches that come to mind. Benoit vs JBL is probably my fav right now. Feel free to mention something that's not here.

You lost big time for failing to realize that Angle/UT-NWO was 2/19/2006.

You lost big time for failing to realize that Angle/UT was 2/19/2006.

You lost big time for failing to follow proper posting etiquette by not trimming what you were replying to.

Thats stupid to have the date there instead of the PPV.

You except me to know the dates of Pay Per Views.

Yeah, God forbid you have some kind of knowledge of the event you claim he's missed out.

You know if you'd put "Undertaker vs Kurt Angle 2/19/2006" into Google you would found out it was from No Way Out from the first result. Maybe you should try looking things up first before you have a pop at people and make a fool of yourself.

Seriously though, if it was the Smackdown! rematch, Smackdown! and the date of the show should have been included.

For a PPV, just the name of the PPV and year, if necissary, is much easier for quick reference.

But in this case, everybody should know what Angle/Taker match was being discussed, it was the good one.

Guest Big Chris Studd

Taker vs The Great Kahlis chop....

but seriusly, I also liked the JBL vs Benoit cage match.

I don't know why Angle vs UT II (from SD!) gets no love around these parts. Other than the Henry run-in (which EVERYBODY expected would happen at NWO but happened here instead), the in-ring work was top notch, maybe as good as the NWO match. In my opinion, yes, the PPV match is the better one, but the free-TV rematch isn't that much of a step down.

Rey vs Finlay is pretty good too, it got good time on TV and the RKO from Orton at the end was extremely cool. Good choice but will it hold up til year's end?

And from the Mania22 card, the usual suspects hog all the praise (MITBII, Foley vs Edge, Women's Title match), but from the "Better Than It Had Any Right To Be" department, the Cena vs HHH match had unbelievable heat, great work from Hunter and Cena holding his end, so I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly. Ditto for the criminally short but excellent World Title 3-way. Action-packed from beggining to end, imagine what they'd have accomplished with at least 5 more minutes.

I haven't seen either Benoit vs Orton match, nor JBL vs Benoit in the cage.

The Benoit vs JBL cage match is terribly overrated. It honestly didn't do anything for me, and Benoit is being wasted in a feud in the midcard.

MOTY for me is easily Undertaker vs Kurt Angle from No Way Out. It was great to see 'Taker bust out the Bikertaker offense again. **** 1/2 easily.

The Benoit vs JBL cage match is terribly overrated. It honestly didn't do anything for me, and Benoit is being wasted in a feud in the midcard.

Yeah, I watched it today and don't understand why people thought it was so good.

Benoit vs. Orton NHB was just awesome - it had MUCH tighter matwork than the Best of Seven and flowed better and was stiff and ruled so so much. Honestly, I remember watching their previous match and thinking "this is pretty boring, but I bet people on the internet will like it." And they did. And then I watched the second match and thought "this kicks fucking ass, but I bet the people on the internet who liked the other match will like this one less." For the most part, they did.

Haven't seen Rey vs. Finlay or Taker vs. Angle, unfortunately.

I don't know why Angle vs UT II (from SD!) gets no love around these parts. Other than the Henry run-in (which EVERYBODY expected would happen at NWO but happened here instead), the in-ring work was top notch, maybe as good as the NWO match. In my opinion, yes, the PPV match is the better one, but the free-TV rematch isn't that much of a step down.

Well I actually fell asleep after UT vs Angle II. It wasnt because of the match though just a rough day. What I saw (which was most of it except a small part in the middle) was good but according to me a bit below what they did on NWO.

Benoit vs. Orton NHB was just awesome - it had MUCH tighter matwork than the Best of Seven and flowed better and was stiff and ruled so so much. Honestly, I remember watching their previous match and thinking "this is pretty boring, but I bet people on the internet will like it." And they did. And then I watched the second match and thought "this kicks fucking ass, but I bet the people on the internet who liked the other match will like this one less." For the most part, they did.

I am one of those Internet people. However I loved both matches but thought the NHB one was slightly worse.

Kurt Angle Vs. The Undertaker at No Way Out 2006, hands down. People will say its overrated, but after its all said and done, the match definitely lived up to the hype.

Honorable mentions:

Edge Vs. Cena at the RR - A definitely underrated match

Edge Vs. Foley at WM 22 - Great from start to finish including the build-up

HHH Vs. Cena at WM 22 - An awesome contest that was certainly better than Batista / HHH from last year.

James Vs. Stratus at WM 22 - Throw me in with the "best womens match in WWE history" wagon

Benoit Vs. Orton NHB on SD - TV goodness all the way around

Guest wildpegasus

I thought the blowoff Trish vs Lita match from Raw (their last match) was a good bit better than the Mania Trish vs James match. Let's not forget about that one.

Is that the one where Lita took the term "suicide dive" too literally? If so, that match was not above Mickie/Trish in any way. Lita's botched spot was the only memorable moment, and the rest was just generic stuff.

Is that the one where Lita took the term "suicide dive" too literally? If so, that match was not above Mickie/Trish in any way. Lita's botched spot was the only memorable moment, and the rest was just generic stuff.

Are you just mentioning that particular match because it was good? Because that match wasn't from 2006. It may not even be from 2005, as Lita lost the Women's Title back to Trish at NYR2005 which was early January and the RAW match was a couple of weeks before at least.

the thing that made the Edge/Foley match good was the little things like: Foley knowing Edge would go for the spear so he countered that by wrapping barbwire around his gut. I don't think I've seen things like that in any WWE hardcore match and no one's countered that kind of move in that fashion since Bret Hart/Goldberg with the metal plate (in WWE/WCW at least).

Of course, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I've missed a ton of wrestling from 2001 to 2004 and I'm still trying to play catchup with cable and online 24/7...

Oh, and Mickie/Trish was good, but certainly not the best women's match in WWE history. Go back and watch some tapes from 94-95 when the Japanese chicks were around, especially the Alundra Blaze vs. Bull Nakano matches.

Guest Coffey

Imagine how good the Mickie/Trish 'Mania match would've been if they didn't botch the finish.

Oh, and Mickie/Trish was good, but certainly not the best women's match in WWE history. Go back and watch some tapes from 94-95 when the Japanese chicks were around, especially the Alundra Blaze vs. Bull Nakano matches.

My favorite WWF/E women's match is still the ladies match from Survivor Series 1987. The work of everyone in that match was great (save Marie and Christianello since they were the designated jobbers for their team). Plus, it featured the nicest giant swing I've ever seen.

People keep mentioning Mickie/Trish and I understand its subjective of what you like and not like but can you seriously see this at a MOTY? To me it was enjoyable and even more so because of the awesome reactions from the fans in attendance. However Mickie/Trish couldnt hold a candle to Taker vs Angle for example or Rey vs Finlay or alike. I mean when it comes down to execution in the ring. I think people tend to overrate it because it was a good womens match. People who just watch WWE arent spoiled with that. But as good as Mickie/Trish was on a WWE womens level isnt near MOTY caliber. And we who have seen more joshi stuff (japanese womens wrestling) know that Mickie/Trish wasnt really all that special even for a womens match.

I would say its a good match but nowhere near MOTY.

People keep mentioning Mickie/Trish and I understand its subjective of what you like and not like but can you seriously see this at a MOTY? To me it was enjoyable and even more so because of the awesome reactions from the fans in attendance. However Mickie/Trish couldnt hold a candle to Taker vs Angle for example or Rey vs Finlay or alike. I mean when it comes down to execution in the ring. I think people tend to overrate it because it was a good womens match. People who just watch WWE arent spoiled with that. But as good as Mickie/Trish was on a WWE womens level isnt near MOTY caliber. And we who have seen more joshi stuff (japanese womens wrestling) know that Mickie/Trish wasnt really all that special even for a womens match.

I would say its a good match but nowhere near MOTY.

I 100% co-sign this post.

But the fued as a whole has problay been the best of this year so far.