TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

The few times I actually LIKE Nick Cage is when he's teamed up with a director I really like. Bringing Out the Dead with Scorsese, Matchstick Men with Ridley Scott, Adaptation with Spike Jonze, et cetera. And, to a lesser extent, as Fu Manchu. So since Werner Herzog is an insane and great director who can take gunshot wounds to the stomach and brush them off as insignificant wounds, and made a GOOD remake of Nosferatu (I don't care what Jingus says, it was damn good), I'm pretty confident he'll be able to beat a good performance out of Nicolas Cage and drag the movie from shit to pretty decent.

I just watched Dodgeball. Man that movie was disappointing. I thought it would be funnier with guys like Stiller and Vaughn.

I really like Dodgeball.

I just watched Dodgeball. Man that movie was disappointing. I thought it would be funnier with guys like Stiller and Vaughn.

I saw that movie @ the 1/2 day @ the dollar theater. I was glad I only paid $.50, but I was an allright way to kill an hour and a half. *1/2. I don't hate, but I hate pepole that give it any love.

300 isn't a really that good. i found it very boring. It looked better then I had thought, but this is Zach Snyder's weakest film so far.

SIN CITY was all kinds of awesomeness. Saw it for the first time this past Saturday, and I enjoyed it a lot. Jessica Alba was as bad as I had thought though. I don't see why anyone likes her. She can't act, and she's really nothing special to look at. She's very generic looking if you ask me.

I think I've mentioned it before, but "Ils" ("Them") is a great horror movie.

And, to a lesser extent, as Fu Manchu.

Nothing "lesser" about that. Greatest single moment of the entire three hours of Grindhouse.

So since Werner Herzog is an insane and great director who can take gunshot wounds to the stomach and brush them off as insignificant wounds, and made a GOOD remake of Nosferatu (I don't care what Jingus says, it was damn good)

What? No, I wasn't knocking that film. I was trying to say, that might have been the only single time I can think of where someone made a modern do-over of a legendary cinema classic, and afterwards even the snootiest of critics were all like "...okay, that was pretty fucking cool".

300 isn't a really that good. i found it very boring. It looked better then I had thought, but this is Zach Snyder's weakest film so far.

SIN CITY was all kinds of awesomeness. Saw it for the first time this past Saturday, and I enjoyed it a lot. Jessica Alba was as bad as I had thought though. I don't see why anyone likes her. She can't act, and she's really nothing special to look at. She's very generic looking if you ask me.

300 is good at what it was supposed to be. I mean, it was the same as the comic with the queen subplot tacked on to make the movie longer. If you thought the book was boring, you would find the movie boring. I think people were expecting more from it than it was ever going to be.

Alba can't act. this is true. But even I have to admit that she is something special to look at. And i have a pretty different taste in women.

herzog's 'nosferatu' is a fucking beautiful movie. those rats...

Agreed, though Aguirre, Wrath of God is my fave Herzog movie.

Also, Fellini's Satyricon deserves more love.

I saw 300 high, and I found the hyper masculinity hilarious. I couldn’t take the movie seriously. I wish someone would make a historically accurate movie about the Battle of Thermopylae

And, to a lesser extent, as Fu Manchu.

Nothing "lesser" about that. Greatest single moment of the entire three hours of Grindhouse.

So since Werner Herzog is an insane and great director who can take gunshot wounds to the stomach and brush them off as insignificant wounds, and made a GOOD remake of Nosferatu (I don't care what Jingus says, it was damn good)

What? No, I wasn't knocking that film. I was trying to say, that might have been the only single time I can think of where someone made a modern do-over of a legendary cinema classic, and afterwards even the snootiest of critics were all like "...okay, that was pretty fucking cool".

Ah. Your use of the word "rape" gave me the wrong impression. And I use "lesser" in a length context. He was on screen for five to ten seconds, hardly a great role.

Short, ya, but I'd make a claim it's still his best non-Adaptation role of this millenium.

300 is good at what it was supposed to be. I mean, it was the same as the comic with the queen subplot tacked on to make the movie longer. If you thought the book was boring, you would find the movie boring. I think people were expecting more from it than it was ever going to be.

I kind of enjoyed 300, to a point. I didn't think it was one of Frank Miller's stronger books (and frequently find some of Miller's stuff to be overrated anyway), but I do gotta admire any movie which pretty much puts the entire comic directly onscreen, even if they did add in a bunch of new stuff to pad it out to feature length. And the goofy over-the-top stuff, with the Batista torsos and an epidemic of overacting and more gore than was really necessary, I just said Eh, It's A Comic Book Movie, What Are Ya Gonna Do.

However, one single thing made me like that movie a LOT less than I probably would have otherwise: ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING SLOW MOTION. Jesus CHRIST there was way, way, way too much slo-mo. I thought the Matrix sequels were bad about that, god, I had no idea how much worse it could get. Fuck, I thought that "Lesbos~!" episode of South Park was exagerrating, but apparently not. Sometimes it felt like literally half the damn movie was filmed in slow motion, and "beating the shattered pile of pulverized bone which used to be a dead horse" doesn't even begin to cover it. I have a regretable mental image of Zack Snyder sitting at home jerking off to the variable-speed camerawork in Brotherhood of the Wolf.

I liked 300, but Sin City was much better. But that's probably because Sin City had better source material.

300 was great...I would have died for Leonidas myself after watching that. I can admit that it does ooze a little TOO much machismo, however.

Jessica Alba in Honey is about the epitome of how gorgeous that chick is...any other look she sports, nah, she's just alright.

herzog's 'nosferatu' is a fucking beautiful movie. those rats...

Agreed, though Aguirre, Wrath of God is my fave Herzog movie.

Also, Fellini's Satyricon deserves more love.

i think 'aguirre' wins the "best herzog movie" contest by default, just because it's the only one i've ever seen that doesn't have any pacing problems or weird stumblings. he's sort of like godard...very good at particular things he wants to do, but can really only tell a good story by accident. if it weren't for the rats and the general insanity of the town square, 'nosferatu' would not be a very good movie.

i haven't seen 'satyricon', but i'm not a fan of fellini's style in general. i just have a hard time caring about it.

Short, ya, but I'd make a claim it's still his best non-Adaptation role of this millenium.

No, I'd give that title to his role in Matchstick Men.

Matchstick Men is one of the few times I've actually enjoyed Nic Cage.

It's Matchstick Men and Con Air for me.

I love Con Air.

Wild At Heart... I can't honestly say I love it more than Con Air... but I do love it.

Anyway, not being sufficiently interested to post in the respective threads, I saw Hulk and The Happening. The former was fine, but not even close to Iron Man. The second was as bad as advertised, but I sort of ran out of steam riffing lines on it towards the end.

Some nice trailers. First, Spike Lee's Miracle at St. Anna. That looks good. I'm a big fan of Spike Lee, also WWII and that whole Flying Hell Fish dynamic they've got going on. Looking forward to it.

Then, Lakeview Terrace. Save Dark Knight, that's probably my most anticipated movie this year. The whole corrupt cop thing is interesting, but starring Sam Jackson in that just makes it like "Fuck. Yes." I'm all over that motherfucker. It looks hilarious and awesome.

I saw the preview for LAKEVIEW TERRACE before THE HAPPENING and thought, oh great another corrupt cop movie. I don't care if Samuel Jackson is in it, it still looks horrible. I'll skip it.

Just saw Mute Witness from 1994 on the Verizon On Demand under FEARnet (for those who have it).

Synopsis: Billy Hughes is a mute young lady working for make-up on a cheap horror picture being filmed in Moscow by an American director. One night Billy gets locked in the movie studio. Later that night she hears that someone might be in the building and goes to check it out. That's when she stumbles across a woman being brutally murdered, while being filmed. After escaping the clutches of the murderers, Billy informs the authorities, only to be red-faced when the men show it was an act. Billy knows what she saw and soon her life is in turmoil again from underground figures that believe she has something of importance.

Marina Zudina was surprisingly hot IMO (and bonus points for a shot of breasts/ass). Movie was solid to good overall, although by the end it started getting a bit over the top and lost the suspense at points.

The chase scene at the start is one of the more gripping chase scenes I've seen and it's worth checking out just for that. Also strong performances from Zudina, Oleg Yankovsky, and Igor Volkov.

Score: 7/10 (RT critics & users gave it 70%+). Tight little suspense thriller that should be seen.

I rented Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story and enjoyed a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. Some of the songs are ace and the comedy was very good.

Plus, it had an Eddie Vedder cameo.

Interesting thing about Walk Hard... the music is pretty good, but still funny as a parody, with the exception of the rap song at the end that samples "Walk Hard". Hardcore (as in subject matter) rap is basically impossible to parody because the real artists are so far over the top that there's basically no way you can exaggerate it.

The full version of that song is good.

I'll watch Walk Hard at some point simply because it parodies that "musician gets inspiration for his big song from a contrived line in which they use some form of its title" thing.

Tiny penis man shouldn't have been funny, I should have more sophisticated humor than that. But I fucking laughed.

I liked the movie, but for some reason it seemed overyly long. I don't know why...just did.

"YOU DON"T WANT NO PARTS OF THIS DEWEY!" also made me laugh everytime.

The rap song that sampled walk hard was some great production. The rapper sucks though. The video was kinda awesome in that over the top "no one poor liquor on women in a rap video but lets play to that belief" kind of way.

So I watched Thank You For Smoking the other day. I was very impressed with Eckhart's performance in the movie. I also was surprised with how many of the actors I recognized. Overall it was a decent 90 minute film.