TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

I think almost any 'fighting' series is superior in manga form.

Yu Yu Hakusho, Fist of the North Star, Dragonball (Especially, the Frieza fight was an eternity) Flame of Recca, even Kenshin, which is a good anime.

The ultimate of this might be Berzerk, which is a good anime (If you get through a couple agonizingly slow eps) but it's like 1/5th of the manga, maybe less.

Bleach is equally good in anime and manga form, IMO.

I think EVA is overrated. That certainly doesn't mean it's bad. Top 20 animes ever in my book, but in my book Bebop owns it. Shinji is such a fucking little shit. He just is. He IS a realistic character put into that situation, but not one I want to watch.

Other gems: Saber Marionette J (Absolutely hilarious at points, GREAT ending)

Blue Seed is unspectacular, but very good.

Key the Metal Idol

Macross Plus (More a movie, almost)

Trigun (starts out too slow, when it gets going, it kills)

Slayers, Slayers Next, don't much care for TRY

If you don't like Maison Ikkoku, and you've seen/read it all, you don;t have a romantic bon in your body. Just saying.

If I were to point to something that MAKES a series for me, it's the climax/ending. Tylor/Bebop/Escaflowne/Saber Marionette J all had great endings, often great anime fizzles. SEE: FLCL (IMO) EVA, most Rumiko Takahashi works. I like an ending, if I've invested enough time to watch this stuff.

Oh, also Outlaw Star was pretty Swell.

I think almost any 'fighting' series is superior in manga form.

I've always thought this as well. I'd say it's all about the pacing.

And speaking of which, Hunter X Hunter is great. The manga has terrible art (at least, the very few issues I've seen), and the anime was never even given an ending. But it's a hell of a fun show nonetheless.

I've heard that about HxH, too.

Just as an aside, the guy who does Bleach is amazing. He defubuteky has his style, bvut he makes eveyone look unique, Same with Zombie Powder, which was his previous efforort.

Caveat of caveats: Don't discount Gundam Zeta, or Char's Counterattack, just 'cause it looks sorta crummy. It's Alsmost Shakespearean.

Other gems: Saber Marionette J (Absolutely hilarious at points, GREAT ending)

Glad to see someone giving some love to Saber Marionette J. It is a fun little series, and it continues for a bit renamed Saber J to X. Nothing to blow your mind, but fun nonetheless.

Any appreciation for Castle of Cagliostro? Haven't seen anybody mention good ol' Lupin.

Lupin is the man. I remember a poll on an Azumanga Daioh board I was on and we held a poll, who was cooler, Bond or Lupin and Lupin easily won.

If there was an Anime Character Hall of Fame, Lupin would be the first guy I nominate.

Lupin is one of those timeless works of art like astro boy and Tetsujin 28. Even thou the art looks outdated the actual story draws you in and doesnt let you stop watching it.

Guest wildpegasus
Lupin is one of those timeless works of art like astro boy and Tetsujin 28. Even thou the art looks outdated the actual story draws you in and doesnt let you stop watching it.

Astroboy does indeed draw you in. It's true, it's true.

Lupin III Castle of Cogliostro is a must see if only for the awesome battle inside the clocktower. The movie had a weird build. It has a super climax that makes you think it's the end of the movie but they than tone it down again and build to yet another super climax. You think there's no way they can match the first climax but they actually do it.

All time classic movie moment here too when the Samurai guy who's in the passenger seat of a vehicle uses his sword to eradicate an on fire Lupin who's falling down from the sky. Maybe the best movie moment ever. The sound effect when the Samurai guy used his sword was tremendous. Must, must see.

I just watched the first episode of the new Witchblade series and it's it's almost impossible to follow what happens after the opening monologue. Does anybody else hate when shows do shit like that?

Also, I mildly recommend checking out Speed Grapher(well, the first 14 or so eps, actually. After that, it starts getting all creepy with the pedo-factor growing each ep) when it's released. People getting powers based on their sexual preferences = kinda freaky.

Castle of Cagliostro is the SHIT. Any Miyazaki movie is the shit that I've seen. Okay, Laputa was dissappointing.

There's another great Lupin movie you should check, Something of the Fuma Clan.

All time classic movie moment here too when the Samurai guy who's in the passenger seat of a vehicle uses his sword to eradicate an on fire Lupin who's falling down from the sky. Maybe the best movie moment ever. The sound effect when the Samurai guy used his sword was tremendous. Must, must see.

His name's Goeman. What makes it is his resigned line afterward "Again I have cut something unimportant" since the sword of the samurai is only supposed to be drawn to kill.

Does anyone know of a good place to get Anime OST's? I'm looking for Crest/Banner of the Star's music, but haven't had a whole lot of luck thus far.

Edit: ...Found em.

It looks like Naruto filler will be continuing for some time, into early June at least and maybe beyond, if as mentioned, they continue airing them until the new movie premieres. Though they seem to be stand alone comedy-ish episodes which is the one thing thing the fillers have done well.

The 2nd movie was barely average also. I'm assuming the 1st isn't worth bothering with.

the first movie kinda sucked, i havent seen the second one yet. Im really hating all these fillers. At least Bleach so far have been really good.

While we're talking about combat anime movies, what is everyone's favorite DBZ movie? My favorite is probably Dead Zone, mostly for the humorous sequences, like Gohan getting drunk on....an apple, I think?

Hey Special K, Macross Plus is a movie, as well as a OVA.

The movie is basically the OVA spliced together, excising some footage and adding a few minutes of new stuff. I think the movie's a little more sympathetic to Guld, but they're pretty interchangeable.

Mines would be i think the first Brolly movie or the movie with Janemba.

Hey Special K, Macross Plus is a movie, as well as a OVA.

The movie is basically the OVA spliced together, excising some footage and adding a few minutes of new stuff. I think the movie's a little more sympathetic to Guld, but they're pretty interchangeable.

Other way around, the movie is the original planned form of Macross Plus. Sponsors forced Shoji Kawamori to turn into an OVA, adding in such nonsense as the Gun subplot, and one cool scene in the original intro for Isamu. As far as Guld, I doubt there is really anyway to show him as a sympathetic character, considering what happened between him, Isamu and Myung. The best thing about the movie is Guld's death is changed and the ending is more extended and doesn't suddenly end. That was my sole complaint about the OVA form of Plus, it goes from Guld's death to the ending in a frightingly quick manner.

However, I suggest watching Macross Zero(Prequel to SDF Macross), if only to see the amazing dogfights, however, Shoji Kawamori has turned into a total lunatic, where as Yoshiyuki Tomino(Gundam, and his various series) turned from "Kill 'Em All" into a great director (See: Turn A Gundam, King Overman Gainer, Wings of Rean and his newer series)

Kawamori fell into the "MUSIC IS A WEAPON!" and total nonsense with Macross 7 and Macross Zero. Why do I not like Macross 7? Space monsters and pretty furball elfs.

Edit: Huh, I dislike Macross 7, but yet I have Nekki Basara VF-19 Custom as my av.

While we're talking about combat anime movies, what is everyone's favorite DBZ movie? My favorite is probably Dead Zone, mostly for the humorous sequences, like Gohan getting drunk on....an apple, I think?

I haven't seen them all, but the ones with Broly are very good (haven't seen Bio-Broly yet), the first one with Cooler I also liked, and The Tree of Might I have fond memories of since it's the first DBZ movie I ever saw.

I really have no idea why DBZ is so popular. For a show that's ALL fighting, and virtually no character development, it's tremendously boring due to the massive amount of filler. The Cell saga is probably the best because it has the least amount of filler. It's about three times as long as the Buu saga in the manga, yet they last the same amount of time in the anime. THere's something wrong with that.

The best think I've seen out of DBZ, anime-wise, by FAR is the special in the alternate future with Trunks and Gohan vs. androids 17 and 18. It's really, really good.

The movie's also a lot cheaper!

I dunno, I found Guld to be completely sympathetic.

I really didn't find him to be sympathetic in the OVA, the movie however, yeah, but nothing changes the fact I love Isamu's character, it's just amusing to watch him spout off some of the things he tells people.

My favorite DBZ movie is #12: The Rebirth of Fusion! Gotenks rocks.

Guest wildpegasus

Well, I'm into about episode 35 of Bleach right now. It's been pretty good overall with a couple of terrific episodes such as the friendship bond episode between Inoue and her school friends as well as the backstory of the first luitenant that went down.

For me, the comedy is good at times and other times not. I do feel it takes over and ruins some of the moments in the story.

The father creeps me out specifically with his sexual obsessions with his very young daughters. Of course, this is anime so I guess that's to be excited.

Guest wildpegasus

Very good is underrating it. The show's great. Every time I watch an episode I can't stop and I have to watch at least 4 or 5. The last 4 or 5 eps I've seen have been terrific. Great, interesting charactors.

I really have no idea why DBZ is so popular. For a show that's ALL fighting, and virtually no character development, it's tremendously boring due to the massive amount of filler. The Cell saga is probably the best because it has the least amount of filler. It's about three times as long as the Buu saga in the manga, yet they last the same amount of time in the anime. THere's something wrong with that.

The best think I've seen out of DBZ, anime-wise, by FAR is the special in the alternate future with Trunks and Gohan vs. androids 17 and 18. It's really, really good.

Eh, I don't mind DBZ that much. Fun for seeing super crazy brawls.

However, I do prefer the prequel series, Dragonball. Less uberness, more just plain ol' fun.

WP it only gets better wait till you get into the real fights, your gonna be blown away. Im on episode 80. Have any of you seen Midori no Hibi if not watch it......

Eh, I don't mind DBZ that much. Fun for seeing super crazy brawls.

However, I do prefer the prequel series, Dragonball. Less uberness, more just plain ol' fun.

Oh heck yes, Dragonball blows DBZ out of the water, but I guess DBZ has a pro wrestling type of feel to it, and there is a fair amount of tension to the actual fights

Guest wildpegasus
WP it only gets better wait till you get into the real fights, your gonna be blown away. Im on episode 80. Have any of you seen Midori no Hibi if not watch it......

Sweeeeet.