TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

The first anime series I ever watched was Robotech on USA back when I was like 6 years old and it's probably the first toon I ever watched that had a semi-main character die and USA didn't edit it out. After that was Voltron, then Akira, and Vampire Hunter D, and the Unico movies.

- Death Note

How good is the manga? Between Kenshin, Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duelist, Prince of Tennis, D.N.Angel, and Negima, I can't afford to check it out at the moment.

On Bleach, I think it's supposed to debut on Adult Swim in September and I'm really interested in hearing how it sounds in English and which OP they decide to use if they can't license all of the music.

Death Note's extremely good. If you can't afford to buy it right now, you can go and register over at townl.com and read the fan-made scanlations. I'd definitely reccommend giving it a try.

I second that too, is really really good

I hope I'm not the only one...

I absolutely cannot watch anime on TV, and it has nothing to do with being edited, my attention span doesn't work with commercials. I'll end up changing the channel and forgetting about the show.

However, if it's on DVD (or YouTube), I'll watch episode after episode no problem.

The commercials don't bother me, but I usually can't watch anime on TV because most English dubbing is horrendous. I can count the good TV anime dubs I've heard on one hand.

You know, I really don't get why channels such as Cartoon Network or such can't just subtitle the animes.

It'd help to:

1) Keep the series original intentions intact

2) Promote reading

and

3) (maybe)Help people learn another language.

Maybe they aren't allowed to use the original Japanese voices? Though subtitles would probably be cheaper by cutting out voice actors.

Anyways, I'm trying to find some good anime and manga to look at, but can't really find any sites to get them. Anyone have any suggestions or is YouTube my best bet?

Youtube and bittorrents are your best bet.

Subtitles would also help to drive everyone that isn't a hardcore anime fan away. On the computer. Fine. On DVDs. Fine. But I'm sure the general public doesn't want the burden of having to keep up with every little line if they can help it. During lazy TV time they wouldn't go for it, myself included. People would get lost, start wandering or whatever too easily and shut it off. It just doesn't work for casual TV airings. Keep it to the specialized stations like TCM or as part of something like On Demand.

YouTube is perfect if you just want series samples and don't want to download anything to your computer. If you're looking for something specific, YouTube probably has it anyway, as long as it isn't too obscure/unpopular or excessively perverted, including entire series.

Excell Saga I enjoyed but i think i got annoyed when they changed the voice actress on like the 4th dvd, i thought it hurt the show cuz the new actress kinda sucked.

Y'know why they changed Excel's English actress? She hurt her vocal cords doing Excel, the doctor didn't want her continuing for fear of seriously messing her throat up. Besides, the Japanese actress is very good and for you Sailor Moon fans, she was the voice actress for Sailor Moon as well(as evidenced by the wonderful 10 second or so parody in Excel Saga)

One series that I always recommend, that no one's seen in "The Irresponsible Captain Tylor."

It's a humorous take on all the space opera animes, and is really funny. It also perhaps the best climax ever in an anime, set to "William Tell's Overture"

It's about basically the luckiest man on earth. He's lazy, lecherous, incompetent, yet kindhearted and naive. (Vash the Stampede was very similar to him, only more angsty). He constantly gets out of jams seemingly by pure luck. Is he lucky or an idiot savant?

The animation sorta sucks, but it's a great show. Haven't seen the dub, so I don't know if it's any good. My top 5 series of all time:

1: Vision of Escaflowne

2: Azumanga Daioh

3: Cowboy Bebop (best dub ever, too)

4: The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

5: Hm, tough. I'll say Zeta Gundam.

The Bleach Manga is great.

I like Champloo, haven't seen it all yet.

Another funny parody show is Martian Sucessor Nadesico. It gets too serious for it's own good at the end, but is well worth checking out sometime. Can I also get an opinion on Gundam Wing from you folks? It was really big when I was watching thr fansubs, mostly because it was on Toonami, I think, but then there was a massive backlash against it among my friends. I like it, I haven't seen quite all of it, but it's probably my favorite non parody mecha show.

G Gundam was always good for some stupid big robot fighting fun. Sai Sachi and his Gundam stood head and shoulders above everyone else's in terms of sheer coolness.

I couldn't get into Wing, though I can see its appeal.

Trust me, if you can get past the animation, Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack are where it's at.

08th MS team is swell, too.

Here's a question for all of you in this thread:

What anime got you first wanting to start watching anime?

...for me, I'll admit this...it was Sailor Moon.

Since then I've tried to expand my horizons on them...but it's hard where I live.

I was first exposed to anime unknowingly with the help of Nick Jr. airing Noozles and The Adventures of the Little Koala. Then came the likes of Casshan: Robot Hunter, Vampire Hunter D, and Dominion Tank Police on Sci Fi Channel's Saturday Anime. Though I'd say my anime fandom officially started when I found Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball back-to-back at 5:30 am one day back in '95.

Currently going through Genshiken, which is basically a look into the lives of a college club for otaku. Good stuff though there's only 12 episodes, but more episodes are reported to be in the works. I also have a few anime titles that I bought while picking at the scraps of the Sam Goody's closing sale, including Mahoromatic, Fighting Spirit (Hajime no Ippo), Project A-ko, and Slam Dunk.

I couldn't get into Wing, though I can see its appeal.

Trust me, if you can get past the animation, Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack are where it's at.

08th MS team is swell, too.

Eh, the Zeta TV series were okay, but the newly released movies are a ton better and they have a happier ending for dear ol' Kamille now and cut the follow up series (Double Zeta) out of the UC Timeline alltogether..

Personally G Gundam and Turn A Gundam are the best Gundam series. For the love of god, avoid Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny.

yeah, both Gundam seeds are horrible. I cringe everytime i hear about it.

Easy for me to agree on that, since Inu-Yasha has failed to capture my attention every time I've tried watching it, and Ranma 1/2 is possibly one of my all-time favorite anime series. In fact, taking Special K's example, let's see if I can come up with a top 5 favorite anime series (not movies or OVAs). Tough, but let's see:

1. DragonBall/DragonBall Z

2. Saint Seiya

3. Ranma 1/2

4. Mazinger

5. Neon Genesis Evangelion

Fun Fact: All of the above I started watching in spanish, as all have excellent spanish dubs.

dude i cant even imagine Evangelion in Spanish, oy! on that same token both Mazinger and Dragonball Z do have excellent dubs.

my 5 fave series would be

1. Mazinger

2. Cowboy Bebop

3. Azumanga Daioh

4. Paranoia Agent

5. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

In no particular order

- Fullmetal Alchemist (ClusterF ending, but still a good series once the ball starts rolling.)

- Maison Ikkoku (As much as I like Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha, Maison Ikkoku is the only one of the Takahashi Big 3 (overlooking Lum at the moment) that had a clean and meaningful ending.)

- Sailor Moon (Screw the naysayers. I still like the series especially the S season.)

- Detective Conan (Formulaic at times, but the interactions between Ran and Shinichi are great.)

- Love Hina (Was on the Honorable Mention list, but gets bumped to my Top 5 solely for the Christmas special.)

Honorable Mentions

- Kare Kano (Should have been on my Top 5, but it kind of peters out near the end if I remember correctly.)

- Ranma 1/2 (Annoys me that they never animated the final story arc.)

- Inuyasha (The conclusion is weak as hell, though I've recorded practically all the the episodes with romantic tension since I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.)

- FLCL (Great characters, fun story, and a Pillows-anchored soundtrack.)

- Excel Saga (Insane humor and references galore.)

Everyone else's doing it...

Top 5 (In No Particular Order)

Chobits - Glorious show with swerves a plenty. Come for the comedy, stay for the compelling story.

Love Hina - Funny Funny, kinda gets awkward to watch with anyone else 'cause of the fan service... The manga is just as good, if not better.

FLCL - The anime for those with a short attention span, one can watch the whole series in one sitting. Amazing soundtrack thanks to The Pillows. Makes we wish for a yellow vespa.

Ranma 1/2 - I've only seen random OVA DVD's, but I've never been disapointed. Although once I was watching it with my brother and nieces and nephew and Shampoo was taking a shower, that was awkward.

Samurai Champloo - This series is still new to me, and the newness is probably why it's in the top five. The unique mix of Samurai and Hip Hop is intriguing, plus there's supposed to be a revolutionary video game coming out this year, but more news on that elsewhere.

Honorable Mentions

Excel Saga

Dirty Pair (the remake)

Cowboy Bebop (What I've Seen)

Case Closed

Dirty Pair (the remake)

You mean Dirty Pair Flash? It's a fun show, although I only really enjoyed the first story

Is Dirty Pair the one with the two girls are i think bounty hunters??

In regards to Death Note, the latest chapter (107) appears to be the last or the second to last. So, if anyone is looking to get into it, now you can take your time and don't have to really fear falling behind that much anymore. :P

Yeah, Dirty Pair Flash, I've never seen the original. And aren't they members of a special Task Force or something?

They're something like that, the two biggest screwups on the force