TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

Bleach might be the end-all/be-all of action animes, in the vein of DBZ or Flam of Recca.

I'll put Bebop and Escaflowne and maybe Champloo ahead of it every time. Tell a story with little wasted time.

With SMJ, Slayers Next, Ranma's first couple of seasons, I just prefer humor with my anime. Bleach had that at first, but has lost a lot of it, though it's not really to its detriment.

Tylor is the best of both worlds, even if it isn't my favorite of all time.

I also do like a good ending. Escaflowne, Tylor and Bebop all have terrific endings, which probably prejuduces me.

SMJ does too.

Guest wildpegasus
Bleach might be the end-all/be-all of action animes, in the vein of DBZ or Flam of Recca.

I'll put Bebop and Escaflowne and maybe Champloo ahead of it every time. Tell a story with little wasted time.

With SMJ, Slayers Next, Ranma's first couple of seasons, I just prefer humor with my anime. Bleach had that at first, but has lost a lot of it, though it's not really to its detriment.

Tylor is the best of both worlds, even if it isn't my favorite of all time.

I also do like a good ending. Escaflowne, Tylor and Bebop all have terrific endings, which probably prejuduces me.

SMJ does too.

Hey Bobby Peru, welcome to the board. Your tastes are similar to another lad on the board here. He's a good guy so you might want to talk to him.

Does Bebop get better after the first few episodes?

I love my anime having humour too. It's just that I have to like it. My sense of humour is a tough one to get to.

How far are you into Bleach now by the way?

WP Bebop takes off after the first couple of episodes, by the end your left satisfied, like you where taken on a journey and back. I dont know if that made any sense.

but you know what i meant, I loved it from the begining but i see how some1 whos perhaps new to anime might have been like hmm instead of blown away. Which on is your fave episode?

Ballad of Fallen Angels. The best music arguably of the series is contained here a badass fight scene, some of the best visuals of the series.

Hard Luck woman: A very plot-heavy episode, it goes from quite comic to very tragic. Plus, it's one of only a few times that Spike gets the living shit kicked out of him.

Hard Luck woman: A very plot-heavy episode, it goes from quite comic to very tragic. Plus, it's one of only a few times that Spike gets the living shit kicked out of him.

I also like this ep 'cause it's the name of a Kiss song. :) (IIRC all episodes are named after songs, right?)

Mushroom Samba. An entire episode basically dedicated to Ed + Blaxaploitation + The silliest high-speed chase you'll ever see makes for my second favorite anime episode ever, behind only Samurai Champloo's Baseball Blues.

I like Mushroom Samba, Toys in the attic and Ballad of Fallen Angels. I cant stand the Pierrot Le Fou episode i had nightmares for like 2 days.

My favorite Cowboy Bebop is Mushroom Samba for reasons stated by ELM and the subtitled interaction between Ein and a cow.

Pierrot Le Fou completely f's up your mind, especially the first fight between Spike and Tongpu (sp?). "...Hello boy..." *shit hits the fan*

And the sequence where they expirement on him to the Pink Floyd-ish music is fucked.

Also Tongpu's demise is fantastic.

Mushroom Hunting, the Alien parody, The second ep, all are great. I can think of maybe one episode I've only watched once, "Wild Horses" which is pretty dull.

Also the one with Cowboy Andy is pretty funny the first time, but really loses its appeal.

off the top of my head, my favorite 5 animes, with the first one being the only one in any order:

Ranma

Azumanga Daioh - which I juuust got into... WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HALF THE TIME!

Dragonball

Sailor Moon

Naruto

and I've recently also started watching Blood +... boy... this one takes a WHILE to develop...

anyone recommend some good absurd comedy anime around the likes of Azumanga / Ranma? :)

Azumanga Daioh - which I juuust got into... WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HALF THE TIME!

Absolute hilarity. You just have to accept that sometimes the puns, will make no sense, and cannot be translated.

It's a testament to the show that it's still completely pants-pissing hilarious.

While it's not as good, Doki Doki School Hours is by the same animation team and has a similar idea to it. Excel Saga is also by the team and is just so frickin' far out there that it is so awesome

Excel Saga is great, you also need to watch Puny Puny Poemi itll leave you with a wtf feeling. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is pretty good too.

Ranma (first two seasons), to me is quite a bit funnier than Excel or Puni Puni Poemi, though not as flat-out weird.

The whole pedophile thing in Excel Saga creeps me out.

I just saw Ranma's first two seasons (still watching the tapes of S2, actually) last week and it's pretty funny. Ryoga and Kuno are awesome characters. I have the "Yapappa" song stuck in my head, though oddly enough when I try and remember the melody, I end up hearing "ya pa pa, ya pa pa..." as it morphs into a ocarina song from Zelda. The spanish version of the theme I saw on youtube is great too, mostly for the part where it shows the shows title in Japanese lettering and a spanish voice yells "RANMA!"

I'm basing my opinion of Ramna off of the 2nd movie, which is all I've ever seen of it. Although from what I understand Rumiko herself thinks it sucks.

The death of VHS has lead to a lot of anime getting to be easy to obtain, lots of stuff I haven't heard of. Of course, a lot of is pretty bad. Take a look at a lot of Central Park Media/US Manga Corps catalog, for instance.

I end up hearing "ya pa pa, ya pa pa..." as it morphs into a ocarina song from Zelda.

Saria's Song?

I watched School Rumble first season in little over two days. I had free time.

It's a funny show, but since I'm the type of person who likes character development and plot advancement, I was absolutely PISSED by the end. Hopefully that's not too much of a spoiler. Right now I don't know if I'll tackle the second season or not. Kinda iffy on the whole thing now.

I'm kinda torn on School Rumble at the moment. The show is hilarious when it wants to be, but the way they keep dragging on Harima being missunderstood about who he really likes(though even a complete retard could tell if they looked at his manga like Yakumo or paid attention to how he acts whenever Tenma's ditzy self is around).

Personally, it's starting to feel like I'm watching Ranma all over again only without the cursed Chinese springs and forced engagements.

What doesn't help is that Tenma and Harima are EASILY two of the stupidest Anime characters I've ever seen. It's funny for a few episodes, but near the end I found myself skipping over Tenma latest whacky-completely-inane-situation-that-she-created-for-herself. I mean MY GOD. I've seen some stupid Anime females, but she's pretty much #1.

Plus, there was nothing really interesting about her plot. Without Harima carrying the show, it's completely devoid of any real substance or feeling. Tenma's just a ditzy school girl, but Harima actually cares about his feelings, and tries so damned hard. 90% of the funniest moments come from him too. Tenma's just...there.

I personally can't stand Tenma or Yakumo. You pretty much covered Tenma, and with Yakumo, I think it's how she reads people's minds or whatever it is. I guess part of it is me liking Hanai somewhat and she makes he look like an absolute retard when he fawns all over her like seemingly half the school.

One thing I think they really seemed the do well is the Lala/Imadori/Ichijou bits(outside of the basketball team episodes which were just boring. I wish they'd just get rid of Asou because the guy is nothing more than an uninteresting pretty boy who adds nothing at all to the show) especially with how Imadori is slowly but surely warming up to Ichijou.

Guest wildpegasus

Are there any torrents of the original Gatchaman series out there in cyberland? I've got the first 2 Dvds though I don't know if they made any more after that.

Are there any torrents of the original Gatchaman series out there in cyberland? I've got the first 2 Dvds though I don't know if they made any more after that.

WP, if you can order before July 5th you can get them mega cheap direct from ADV

ADV's Gatchaman listings

Guest wildpegasus

WP, if you can order before July 5th you can get them mega cheap direct from ADV

ADV's Gatchaman listings

Awesome!!! Some of the names of the episodes sound terrific. They're at a great price and I'd buy them in a heartbeat if I had money but right now I don't even have enough money to go to the dentist. And yeah, that's gotta come before everything else.

The problem with School Rumble, is the seeds are there for what might have been a funny, touching anime...Instead they wasted so much damn time on wacky hijinx, that by the time you even got to anything touching you felt like you had been cheated. Plus, the fact that everything carries over itno the second season which I can't find subbed hurts it even more. When I do find it, shit better get resolved.

Yakumo was one of the better characters I thought. As was the blonde chick, whatever her name was. I watched it in two days, I cannot remember names. They actually seemed like somewhat developed characters, instead of Tenma. Who despite being lead, is completely boring, and has very little character to speak of. Inless her character is to be insanely stupid, then there ya go.

I'm not sure how far you're into it, so I won't go into specifics but man...I dunno if I'd rewatch it if I had a chance to go back and not watch it. It sure as hell didn't live up to it's OP and ED themes. Despite saying that, if I come across Subbed second season episodes, I'll watch :(

Edit: Go figure, I finally found 2nd episodes on Youtube in ENGLISH. Seems to have been upped recently, so maybe I just missed them. Whoohoo, or something.

With Yakumo, it's a bit of personal bias because Hanai is one of my favorite characters. Eri(the blonde) is awesome and they should just go ahead and bite the bullet on her and Kenji hooking up because that seems to be where it's headed with the chemistry they have together. It ceretainly wouldn't be any worse than Harima chasing after dumbass Tenma who's chasing boring ass Karasuma.

I'm on episode 9 at the moment because Wannabe Fansubs hasn't put out anymore eps after that for some reason(it's on 13 or 14 in Japan, I think). If I had a choice of going back and not watching it, I think I'd still watch it, but only certain episodes like the Sports Festival episodes near the end of the season.

I just finished Ep 12 of School Rumble 2nd. I had to skip about three episodes due to them not being on Youtube...but really? Doesn't appear I missed much.

I would have to say that Eri is the most three dimensional character on the show. She's got her fair share of whacky situations, but there is a purpose and meaning behind most of the scenes around her. The fact that she obviously has feelings for Harima, but doesn't act on them 90% of the time is pretty compelling.

So far into 2nd, it seems a bit more deeper then the first season. Most of the characters seem to have more depth to them, which is alot better then the first season. There is still goofiness, but it's offset more.

I'm currently downloading the 13th episode subbed, which is apparently as far as they've gotten. I've read rumors that they are still making episodes in Japan, and if so, it'll be the first show I've ever watched at the same time as it was airing in Japan. Fun. It's only going to take me ten hours to download a 172 meg file on my DSL connection. Godbless Bit-Torrent.

So I'm watchin anime on Encore Action right now.

I figured, why not. I like anime, even though I know very little about it, outside of the most famous series out there.

So the anime I'm watching is "Eiken".

And yeah........someone really, really, REALLY made a mistake to show this during prime time rather than after midnight.

This is the the most fan service I've ever seen a show be without just going all the way and actually involving tentacles, if you know what I mean.