TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

"Revolution" officially named

Actually, I was just setting it up. No one bit.

It was appropo because it was supposedly another cross-culture marketing blunder.

They were gonna call it the Go.

They could then call the next console the Supernova, which is a star dying with a bang.

Nova invented revolutions and the Wii.

etc.

"A JST is what now?"

A poster I replied to.

:lol:

Let's just go all the way and change it to the Nintendo Kawaii. It is pretty cute, after all.

I'm expecting some crappy commercials with Michelle Wie now.

My first instinct upon this news was a Golf Digest article from 2002, when Michelle Wie was essentially unknown. The headline read : WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEE!

Bad name, but fun to say. < Revolution, but still.

After a few days of thinking about it, I'm over the whole awful name thing. Nintendo's track record for fun games speaks for itself, and this may be no different. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this system ends up being the Big N's swan song.

It almost seems like Nintendo's story would work as a Shakespeare tragedy. Nintendo's tragic flaw being blowing off Sony for the SNES add-on, and Sony vowing revenge one day. I just wonder how many people are going to be dead on stage in Act V, Scene V.

The SNES CD add-on had nothing to do with it. Nintendo saw Sega's colossal screw ups and realized it wasn't such a hot idea.

The problem was that by the time Nintendo adopted disc-based media for games, they'd already been overwhelmed by Sony.

Well, that and Nintendo happens to not be a world-wide reaching super conglomerate like Microsoft and Sony.

When you own movie studios, record companies, make dozens of types of electronics, own half a country, etc. it's pretty easy to arrange a marketing blitz.

Likewise, when your operating system is in 9/10 PCs worldwide and you have more money than God, you can burst into the videogame biz despite having no prior experience, and still buy your way to at least modest success.

Nintendo is run by some crazies, but they aren't as stupid as Sega, whose US and Japan wings were at each other's throats, burned bridges with millions of gamers, thought there was *NO WAY IN HELL* that enough people would play those nerdy "role playing games" for them to bother marketing them, and thought FMV games were the future of gaming.

It wasn't even until recently that Sega put Yuji Naka out to pasture, denying for years that he was little more than a cancer who had ceased to produce anything relevent for years.

He refused to let Sega Technical Institute use the Nights engine for Sonic Xtreme, or he'd walk, so they had to start over from scratch.

Naka didn't create Sonic or design the stages of Sonic 1. Basically, all the hype about him was like a really mediocre director getting credited for a good movie when he just used a great script and the entire movie had been masterfully storyboarded.

I think of Sega as incompetent and Nintendo crazy. Both are dumb, but Sega does what they do because they don't know any better...Nintendo just lives in their own world where they're still in charge.

I think of Sega as incompetent and Nintendo crazy. Both are dumb, but Sega does what they do because they don't know any better...Nintendo just lives in their own world where they're still in charge.

Yeah, they live in Japan. :P

As bizaare as Nintendo's decisions were this generation, the DS is outselling *everything* in Japan right now.

The extremely-traditional GC didn't do them any favors in the long run.

this is the fact I keep harping.

People: Stylus? WHAT!? CRAZY!!!

DS KILLS the PSP in Nippon.

I dunno whats going on over here, but I see more people watching a DS than playing one.

It's wishful thinking.

Nintendo likely waited last minute to put the paperwork in, and just because it isn't currently registered means absolutely nothing.

I doubt Nintendo would pull a swerve at this point in terms of the name. The strategy of letting everyone vent on the name now rather at be mocked outright at E3 is alot more plausible.

Pulling out the great games around the first year or two of launch will equate to forgiveness, but they're still getting kicked in the balls at this point for the out there name.

Honestly, if someone doesn't want to buy the "Wii" now just because of the name change they will be really missing out. The "Wii" despite the name change still sounds very promising and even if the name is horrible people should still want to get it. Espically since it will be the cheapest next gen system! Besides when you think about it...has Nintendo ever been good at naming their systems?

Gameboy

Super Nintendo

Nintendo 64 (codenamed: Dolphin)

Gamecube

DS

Ok the Gamecube and DS were obvious names for the two systems but come on, Nintendo hasn't been really the best at naming their systems. If you think about it, Nintendo naming the system the Revolution is to bold of a move for the company. If the system didn't do well, then people would have been all over Nintendo for calling their system a Revolution. Wii might me a strange name to choose but it doesn't bother me all that much.

Guest BOOT
Nintendo 64 (codenamed:Project Reality)

Gamecube (Dolphin)

Fixed.

The name change is just a distraction from the fact that the controller is a fucking 80's era VCR remote/Intellivision controller! So now everybody is mocking the name change and forgetting how gimmicky the system is...this makes me wonder if David Blaine, David Copperfield, Penn & Teller are on the marketing staff cause this is some slight of hand bullshit.

Yeah, or it might be like the stylus. We really have no idea.