TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

PRIDE Openweight GP

Damn Wandy has a tough schedule. Vs CroCop, vs Nog, vs Chuck...god damn.

You're assuming he'll get by Cro Cop. I'm not so optimistic about his chances.

Silva held his own againt CroCop at Pride 20 under rules that favored CroCop. Plus CroCop doesn't respond well when he is pressured.Either of them could take this one but I'd probably take Silva if I had to pick one.

Guest DRH 502
Dude, Wanderlei got his black belt in that time. The guy is now automatically the fucking shit on the ground.

Heh. I know right? I swear so many fighters have black belts now it really has lost its value in meaning anything...Not saying Vitor Belfort has a shitty ground game or anything, but he is a black belt and outside of being competative with Tito he has been owned on the ground. Well, I take that back.

He sure schooled Bobby Southworth. :D

Guest DRH 502
Yeah but that was like what, 4 or 5 years ago? Cro Cop is much different now.

He won't be blowing any more kisses I promise.

I am imagining some sick leg kick exchanges between Cro Cop and Silva in my head right now....

How did a black belt get to mean nothing?

I mean it was always useless in tae kwon do and karate.

I mean Tito has no belt but he'd school a lot of BJJ black belts on the ground right?

How did a black belt get to mean nothing?

I mean it was always useless in tae kwon do and karate.

I mean Tito has no belt but he'd school a lot of BJJ black belts on the ground right?

From what I understand BJJ is pretty much the same as wrestling. And Tito is an exprence wrestler.

I wouldn't say it's useless as much as...

- Not all blackbelts are actually equally skilled

- Many guys' BJJ games don't translate to MMA well

- Some BJJ'ers tend to be closer in style to wrestlers in their grappling game

- Since the awarding of belts is at an instructor's discretion, competition experience isn't always necessary to advance in rank

Of course, there's also alot of notable examples of guys getting obviously undeserved black belts for a variety of reasons, though those tend to be an exception.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily say Tito would school alot of BJJ blackbelts unde pure submission wrestling or BJJ rules, but with his sizen, strength, wrestling & no-gi experience, he could probably beat a number of them on points.

Guest Brian
I wouldn't say it's useless as much as...

- Not all blackbelts are actually equally skilled

- Many guys' BJJ games don't translate to MMA well

- Some BJJ'ers tend to be closer in style to wrestlers in their grappling game

- Since the awarding of belts is at an instructor's discretion, competition experience isn't always necessary to advance in rank

Of course, there's also alot of notable examples of guys getting obviously undeserved black belts for a variety of reasons, though those tend to be an exception.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily say Tito would school alot of BJJ blackbelts unde pure submission wrestling or BJJ rules, but with his sizen, strength, wrestling & no-gi experience, he could probably beat a number of them on points.

Alot of wrestlers go into Abu Dhabi and dominate based on takedowns, passing, and points.

I'm not sure why the last few posts haven't mentioned that Aleks vs Sergei is going to be fucking bomb-ass.

'Cause it will.

Too be honest, I've never seen anything from either fighter. Aleks is just known as Fedor's bro to me, and I don't even know Sergei apart from his MMA record I saw on Sherdog.com

Anyone famous? I mean I assume all the Gracie's earned there's.....it's like required in the family isn't it?

I'm not sure why the last few posts haven't mentioned that Aleks vs Sergei is going to be fucking bomb-ass.

'Cause it will.

Too be honest, I've never seen anything from either fighter. Aleks is just known as Fedor's bro to me,

So, have you seen the tat on his back?

From what I understand BJJ is pretty much the same as wrestling.

Very wrong.

Most of the wrestlers that can at least pass the guard have learned BJJ to a certain extent. I'm also sure that most of them practice their bottom game enough to use it just in case it comes up. I remember Randy Couture going for armbars against Kevin Randleman.

I don't care about either Aleks or Sergei at this point. Both of them have come up short at their biggest chances I think.

Anyone famous? I mean I assume all the Gracie's earned there's.....it's like required in the family isn't it?

John Lewis who is a pretty famous BJJ instructor got his black belt for helping Andre Pedernias (Spelling is probably off here) get into the USA. He was actually a blue belt under Rickson before that.

Guest DRH 502

Aleks is definately the result of his mom not taking a load in her mouth when she should have. I'm not saying the dude is horrible but would anyone care about him if he wasn't an Emelianenko??

'Cause it will.

Because it wouldn't be a big win for either guy. Me and MSIA spent most of yesterday morning tearing guys to shreds for overhyping this match.

C&p'ed...

Anyways, Sergei is basically still living off of a close fight with Minotuaro, whom almost EVERYBODY is competitive with until he beats them. He also unimpressively beat Werdum, but people on both sides would probably like to forget that fight.

On the otherhand, whereas Sergei has built his name off of his in-ring ability, Aleks has been hyped to end because:

1) He's Fedor's brother

2) He's huge with tattoos

3) He's KO'ed some scrubs

However, he's looked like crap with every step up in competition, struggling heavily with Silva & Nastula, and getting stopped by Mirko & Barnett.

So in other words...

Well, Sergey has proved a little. So, Sergey by destruction.

It's basically a matter of Slightly Proven vs. Proven Mediocrity.

I'm willing to give Sergei the benefit of the doubt due to him injuring both of his arms in his past couple fights. He's at least shown me a little bit in his wins, unlike Aleks who really has only beaten scrubs. However, Lei does shit on every fight that doesn't involve one of his favs :D , so take what he has to say about this fight with a grain of salt, it will probably be a good/great fight.

The only way this fight will be great is if Sergei knocks Aleks into a coma and Volk Han stumbles into the ring, drinking a bottle of vodka, and proceeds to piss on Aleks.

MSIA is actually more of a BK'er, though he's started writing articles for Sherdog.

-4000 Street Cred pts.

If you're saying that articulate, well-informed articles are bad for the pond of mediocrity that is MMA journalism, than I say -4000 Street Cred pts to YOU, sir.