TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

PRIDE Openweight GP

Guest Brian

This has already garnered quite a bit of discussion in the "Comments" thread, so I think it deserves its own spot since vthe tournay is under way. Anyways, here's some spoilers from the first round:

Roman Zentsov b Gilbert Yvel via first round knockout

Fabricio Werdum b Alistair Overeem via Kimura in round two. Overeem dominated, then gassed.

Mark Hunt b Tsuyoshi Kosaka via knockout in round two. Said to be very good

Kazuyuki Fujita b James Thompson via knockout late in the first round

Mirko Cro Cop immediately knocked out Ikuhisa Minowa

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira armbarred Zulu early in round one

Josh Barnett b Alexander Emelianenko with an armbar in round two. Said to be real good

Hidehiko Yoshida b Yosuke Nishijima easiy with a triangle

Overeem's lack of cardio doesn't really surprise me, as it's always been an issue. TK is probably going to call it quits. And Josh Barnett! Sea-Town!

I'm pretty glad I didn't get the show myself. Just doesn't look that great to me.

PRIDE should really forget adding Fedor to the tournament, and add the winner of the first match. I think he's earned it.

I wish I wouldn't have gotten my friend to order the show on PPV. I'd cancel it but Bell ExpressVu has a retarded thing where once a show is ordered it can't be cancelled.

I'll try and bring the crew down for UFC 60, YPOV. You said you'd be in town for that one, right?

This was actually a really good show. Hunt/TK was AWEsome, Barnett/Aleks was very good, the last minute of Fujita/Thomson was fucking dope. There were a bunch of tremendous KO's (Yvel got wrecked!) and some good subs. All in all, a very satisfying night of fights.

Like I said in my earlier post (Hope I didn't spoil anything for anyone), why doesn't PRIDE just put Roman into the GP? He's gotten back to back HOLYFUCKKO'S on two very good strikers in dominate fashion. Putting Fedor into the GP just seems...well...uh...silly.

- Pawel Nastula defeated Edson Drago by armbar at 4:33 of Round 1

- Nakao Yoshihiro defeated Lee Eun Su by TKO at 4:16 of Round 1

- Vitor Belfort defeated Takahashi Yoshiki by KO at :36 of Round 1

- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira defeated Alistair Overeem by TKO, corner stoppage at 2:13 of Round 2

- Nakamura Kazuhiro defeated Evangelista Cyborg by keylock at 4:49 of Round 1

- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira defeated Fabricio Werdum by unanimous decision after 3 rounds

- Wanderlei Silva defeated Fujita Kazuyuki by TKO at 9:21 of Round 1

- Josh Barnett defeated Mark Hunt by submission at 2:02 of Round 1

- Mirko Cro Cop defeated Yoshida Hidehiko by TKO at 7:38 of Round 1

Once again you "MMA Experts" on the board expected Fujita to take care of Wandy, and he knocks him out! Damn I think Wandy will take this now. Hopefully we can see Wandy Vs. Cro Cop

Once again you "MMA Experts" on the board expected Fujita to take care of Wandy, and he knocks him out! Damn I think Wandy will take this now. Hopefully we can see Wandy Vs. Cro Cop

He didn't knock him out. The fight wasn't even stopped while Silva was hitting him. Fujita was facing the ropes and getting up with Silva behind him when the fight was stopped. It was a good stoppage but Fujita took multiple knees and kicks to the face without flinching. I'm still pissed about the Overeem fight. He was beating Rogerio easily in the standup and had him wobbling from leg kicks. Then he gets hit with one good shot and his corner throws in the towel. His neck must have been really injured before the fight for his corner to throw it in so fast because I think that was the only punch Rogerio landed during the standup in the whole fight.

Uhhh when did the MMA experts all pick Fujita to beat Wandy? I thought Wanderlei would walk through him as did most of the people on the other board I frequent. No one here really made any picks on that fight, judging from this thread. Don't know what you're talking about, then again you always like to be contentious with other people for no reason, so I guess it makes sense.

Wanderlei is the worst fighter left. He loses his next fight no matter who he faces.

If you wanna watch Cro Cop vs. Wanderlei, watch PRIDE 20.

Guest Brian

Mark Hunt got schooled by Barnett. My god. 206 gets one back motherfuckers.

Barnett and Cro Cop both executed perfect gameplans for their opponents: don't fuck around with their respective strenghts. I expect the logical matchups to be:

Barnett vs. Nog

Cro Cop vs. Silva

Guest Brian

Mark Hunt got schooled by Barnett. My god. 206 gets one back motherfuckers.

What? I'm guessing that meant to say 2006, and that you were referring to the MMAos, but this wouldn't have been an upset either way.

206 is the city we live in.

...The show has aired right?

I was one of those people who thought Fujita would give Silva problems. The man simply cannot be KO'd, and I thought that would be a daunting factor in the fight for Silva.

I simply ignored the fact that Silva doesn't just hit you once, he hits you about five thousand times. Not even Fujita could withstand it. He didn't get KO'd, but it would have been almost barbaric to let that continue. Fun, but barbaric.

I'm saddened by Yoshida's loss. I picked him to win, but realistically I knew there was only about a 5% chance he'd win. Kinda sucks that Mirko targeted his leg like that. If I've read up right, Yoshida's had that knee worked on before. He won't be back in some time.

Damn Wandy has a tough schedule. Vs CroCop, vs Nog, vs Chuck...god damn.

Not to mention if he wins the OWGP, he will problay fight Fedor in December...

Guest AndrewisyourHero

Damn Wandy has a tough schedule. Vs CroCop, vs Nog, vs Chuck...god damn.

Not to mention if he wins the OWGP, he will problay fight Fedor in December...

Fedor's winning that one no matter who he faces.

Personally, I think PRIDE screwed up. I would have done Mirko/Nog and Josh/Silva, with the idea that you want to get atleast ONE new face into the possible runnings for the title. If Mirko & Nog win, then they just resolidify that their the runners up, and neither will win against Fedor. Atleast with Silva & Josh, there's a slight hope.

The problem is, Fedor demolished two of the four already. Josh is a great overall fighter, but he's not at Fedor's level in that overall ability. The one thing that might save Josh would be his ability to formulate gameplans and execute them to win. Fedor does that too, but he's very much more of a anytime, anyplace fighter. He really doesn't give a fuck where the fight goes. Josh would need an extensive, and complete gameplan, and given how his last two fights have went exactly how he planned them, he might be able to do it.

Silva has that wow factor to bring, and the question would be if Fedor could survive Silva's 5,000 punches, and knee assault.

The problem with these matchups, is Josh isn't better then Noguriera at any aspect of the game. Silva may have a better ground game then Mirko, but at the rate Mirko improves, there is no lock there.

I dunno, I was just hoping for something new to come from this tournament, and it looks like it might just go back to the triangle at the top we've had for several years now.