TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

PRIDE Openweight GP

No, Aleksander is just an obsolete model.

Whenever I see Sergei's name, I always think of this (I first saw it on Something Awful's Bollywood edition of Fashion SWAT)

041b.JPG

So, would a two-headed pan dimesional monster be able to hang with Fedor?

Guest nWoCHRISnWo

I didn't reead the last page...

Can anyone PM me, without any spoilers, on whether or not the PPV was worth getting? I'll have to decide in the next 20 mins, thanks in advance.

Nog should've gotten the desicion over Barnett.

Did you see Nog at the end of that fight? If the clock hadn't run out Josh would've torn his knee to shit. The screaming was fairly audible.

Barnett got the knockdown and had two sub attempts to Nog's one. Also, I believe his kneebar was closer to stopping Nog than Nog's armbar was to stopping Josh. Other than that, Nog was too passive and let Josh escape from bad positions too many times, not to mention Josh finished both rounds strongly, which always looks good on the scorecards.

On Aleks/Sergei:

"Has any fight ever so succinctly and perfectly showed the limitations of two drastically overrated fighters?" - MSIA

Sig material, there.

On Aleks/Sergei:

"Has any fight ever so succinctly and perfectly showed the limitations of two drastically overrated fighters?" - MSIA

Sig material, there.

Sergei had that fight won, but he didn't press the action when he had Aleks mounted. Not to mention he got lazy with his defense, allowing Aleks to hit him with one of those sloth-like punches of his.

Additionally, I think the word "overrated" gets bandied about way too much these days, with pretty much Fedor and Matt Hughes (that's stretching it) being the only ones immune to that term. Sergei is still an excellent fighter, and just because he loses to highly trained and efficient fighters like Aleks or Alistair Overeem, doesn't make him any less of a fighter in my book.

Everyone (me included) was quick to throw Sergei into the Top 5 despite his two biggest wins at the time coming over an overweight Ninja and the terribly limited Schilt, to say nothing of yet another example of Nog making a fighter look better than they are.

Aleks, meanwhile, got large amounts of hype due to things other than his fighting ability (his brother, size, tattoos), and though he managed to quickly knock some scrubs out, he's looked routinely average against a higher level of competition.

I think both qualify for the "overrated" tag (which, at this point, most any heavyweight can).

Also, Sergei's defense is almost always lazy. I've knocked him for it before, and ironically should've considered that fact before I picked him to beat Aleks.

Well, the HW division is suffering from a dearth of talent at this point. You've got Fedor, then Cro Cop, Nog, and Barnett, then Sylvia and Arlovski, then pretty much everyone else all jumbled up.

10 seconds more in the final round and Nog would have needed knee surgery. Barnett got a knockdown in the first round via a solid left hook and a tight kneebar to end the match. Nog is one of my favourite guys to watch fight, a great guy and fantastic trainer but Barnett won that fight. He finished strong to end both rounds, escape all Nog's subs and maintained a top position while GnP'ing the entire time. He replaced half guard on Nog while Nog couldn't do the same to him.

Incidentally, anyone else mark out for Barnett's new entrance video to accompany "You Wa Shock" from Fist Of The North Star? I was smiling like a goon watching him sing along to it as he walked to the ring.

Anyone see Aleks crying during the interview the day before he fought Sergei because he didn't want to hurt a former team mate and friend? The guy does 5 years for armed robbery but cries over having to fight his buddy... Aleks is one conflicted dude.

Whatever, I don't need to Barnett lovefest to run wild. I could careless how you guys scored the fight, I'm just saying I had Nog winning the fight the 1st time I watched it. I worded it wrong, I'm not really complaining at the desicion at all because it was a close fight. I can understand why the majority of people had Barnett winning.

But man, was Cro Cop intense tonight. He killed it with the LNK. Man, I don't know if Silva is going to be the same fighter after that ass whooping, and isn't he suppose to fight Arona next to? Arona I think will beat him.

Any word on what the Overeem tapout was about? I'm guessing the leg kick that caused his knee to buckle plus Muaro was saying something post-fight about his corner icing down the knee.

Apparently he tore a ligament. He couldn't move properly to escape the back mount so he tapped out to avoid a further beatdown since he knew he couldn't defend properly anymore.

Some fights from Dailymotion.com

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/...wanderlei-silva

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/...otauro-vato-pvt

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/...ride-gp-ow-2006

Mirko's straight boxing over Wand's spider guard and hammer fists in full guard were relentless. He set Wand up for the LHK by targeting the liver with 3 good shot before he went high. Wand was bracing to block a side kick and his swollen eye meant he couldn't react quick enough to avoid the KO.

Barnett got his body worked over and apparently feared he'd had broken his orbital bone which is why he tapped. He didn't want his eye squished in the socket, unsurprisingly. Seems post fight he was cleared and it was just blood vessels bursting and causing swelling but I can't blame him for tapping.

Arona I think will beat him.

In their last couple of encounters Arona has proved he can dominate Wand if can work on avoiding leg kicks and going for the takedown when Wand rushes in with his looping hooks. If he does get another shot he could take it if he seriously works on his guard passing and GnP. He also needs to shoot for more than just double legs. He's good but he's not Mark Coleman.