Box Office Report...

1 - Mission: Impossible III Paramount Pictures $48,025,000 $48,025,000 1 4054

2 1 RV Sony Pictures Releasing $11,100,000 $31,006,000 2 3651

3 - An American Haunting Freestyle Releasing $6,380,000 $6,380,000 1 1668

4 3 Stick It Buena Vista Pictures Distribution $5,522,000 $17,977,000 2 2044

5 2 United 93 N/A $5,211,000 $20,056,000 2 1819

6 7 Ice Age: The Meltdown 20th Century Fox $4,000,000 $183,274,000 6 2426

7 4 Silent Hill TriStar Pictures $3,900,000 $40,805,000 3 2556

8 5 Scary Movie 4 The Weinstein Company , Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Dimension Films $3,763,000 $83,718,000 4 2537

9 - Hoot New Line Cinema $3,400,000 $3,400,000 1 3018

10 8 Akeelah and the Bee Lions Gate Releasing $3,400,000 $10,663,000 2 2195

11 6 The Sentinel 20th Century Fox Distribution $3,000,000 $30,850,000 3 2343

12 9 The Wild Walt Disney Pictures $2,577,000 $32,020,000 4 1930

I read an article or two saying that the reason that people didn't see MI3 is because of Tom being crazy and all. Which is nonsense because he was acting even more crazy promoting War of the Worlds and that made a shit load of money.

I think people didn't see this because it didn't interest them. Plus it still made a good amount of money, and is the 16th highest weekend opening for a movie in May. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I figure it is more likely that people avoided it because they didn't like the second film. I know I am skeptical, although I will probably break down and check it out sometime this week.

I read an article or two saying that the reason that people didn't see MI3 is because of Tom being crazy and all. Which is nonsense because he was acting even more crazy promoting War of the Worlds and that made a shit load of money.

Well, War of the Worlds also had Steven Spielberg's name attached to it. I mean, personally, I went to see it due to that rather than having anything to do with Cruise, and I haven't bothered with MI3 because... well, Tom's crazy and all. So there may be truth to that logic.

But what does someone being crazy have to do with a movie?? It isn't in the movie, it is a character. Yeah, I know he basically plays the same characters, but it isn't actually himself. Who gives a shit if he is crazy? It's a movie the people are watching not Tom being crazy.

I'll never understand that logic.

I think people didn't see this because it didn't interest them. Plus it still made a good amount of money, and is the 16th highest weekend opening for a movie in May. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm not going to support or deny this claim, all I would like to add is that Tom Cruise was not eating placenta during the promotion of War of the Worlds.

People don't like Tom Cruise.

Therefore they don't want to pay to see him in a movie.

Too simple of a concept for people to understand, I suppose. People often go to movies based on who is the star or the director and not based on the reviews or the plot or anything.

Tom Cruise was only starting to go insane when WOTW came out, WOTW also had alot of hype going into well before Cruise went crazy. Cruise has been completely overexposed to the general public, especially with the shit about Katie's pregancy recently. People just lost interest in seeing a Tom Cruise vehicle. It's not like the movie tanked or anything but it's true that people will skip a movie just because of the main star.

I'm like the only person who still loves Tom Cruise.

I'll still see his movies, he isn't a great actor but he has a good collection of entertaining movies to his credit. I'm just not itching to see MI:3, despite my appreciation for Hoffman. I just hate the guy as a person now, he is a complete overexposed media whore wacko. Hardly the first one but damn it he ruined Joey Potter and I can't forgive him for it.

I understand why people don't like Tom Cruise and go see his movies, but I couldn't give a fuck that he jumped on a couch and will never live it down.

I still love most of his movies, and really have no problem with him

WotW was like a year ago. Cruise has had a whole year more of being a nutbar to convince more people to hate him. His stock has seriously droped in Holywood in the past year.

I understand why people don't like Tom Cruise and go see his movies, but I couldn't give a fuck that he jumped on a couch and will never live it down.

I still love most of his movies, and really have no problem with him

Bob, the couch was only the beginning, don't try and claim that the couch jumping was the only thing that flipped his public image. He has gotten a thousand times worse since then.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

No, you aren't.

I really don't see how his antics should affect me seeing his movies. In my opinion, M:I:3 lived up to it's hype. I thought it was an example of what an action flick SHOULD be like, it hooked me in from the beginning and never let go. Nobody is the movie is gonna be winning awards for this, but it was worth the price of admission. Probably the best one out of the 3...

Anyway, I really don't why this didn't make more. Could it be the 6 year gap in between them? I have no answers...

While ridiculous at times, his actions over the past year have been entertaining for the most part. The only thing he should've held back on is his rants on scientology.

I think if he didn't jump off the couch, it wouldn't be that bad. The Lauer interview also didn't help.

I have a feeling this is it for the MI franchise. I really think Cruise should take some smaller roles or do smaller movies to show he can act.

So is this a typo, or is there a movie called 'Releasing' in the theaters?

I'm not being glib, since I rarely watch TV.

If there's a movie called Releasing, it's either a Romantic Comedy, or a horror flick.

So is this a typo, or is there a movie called 'Releasing' in the theaters?

I'm not being glib, since I rarely watch TV.

If there's a movie called Releasing, it's either a Romantic Comedy, or a horror flick.

That's the movie.

SPR is the studio.

I'm just burned out on Tom Cruise movies. I got tired of his acting after WOTW and have just grown bored by the plots he is involved in.

MI:3, I really didn't like the first two all the much and MI:2 was just horrible. Part 1 made me figure "eh,why not" towards 2 but 2 did not make me want a 3.

If Cruise wants to go crazy, let him go crazy insane. Hell apparently Vincent D'Onofrio is insane but I'll still go see one of his movies if it looks interesting. The only actor I will not see a movie of is Jimmy Fallon because I've seen TAXI and I've seen FEVER PITCH and I want those hours of my life back. He's just not funny to me and really, the only way I'll see a movie with him in it is if the movie starts with him being torn apart by rapid wolverines.

Him and the movie comedy killer Sean William Scott.

If a Tom Cruise movie looks good, I'll see it and I could care less if he was mean to Brooke Shields or not. MI:3 looks decent but not the kind of movie I'll see in the theatres (I generally don't go to the theatres except for movies I really want to see) but it will probably earn a rental from me at some point.

People pretending that this movie didn't do well are pretty damn ridiculous.

The studio was expecting the same opening as WOTW and MI2 when WOTW and MI2 both opened on holidays (one July 4 weekend and the other Memorial Day weekend). If this movie had open later this month it would have done comparible numbers.

The reason this movie didn't open with QUITE as much money as expected was because the studio fears the Xmen.

I'm no expert, but $48 million is a lot of fucking money. What's with all the "bomb" talk?

I fucking hate Tom Cruise, but I'm not deluded enough to think the guy isn't the biggest single box office draw in the world.

Guest Retro Rob
People pretending that this movie didn't do well are pretty damn ridiculous.

The studio was expecting the same opening as WOTW and MI2 when WOTW and MI2 both opened on holidays (one July 4 weekend and the other Memorial Day weekend). If this movie had open later this month it would have done comparible numbers.

The reason this movie didn't open with QUITE as much money as expected was because the studio fears the Xmen.

I disagree, because MI2 didn't really open on Memorial Day weekend, it opened the Wednesday prior, which soaked up some of the business that it would have attracted over the weekend. Meaning that in reality, MI2's numbers would have been even better, had it opened on Friday, thus making MI3 look even worse.

I'm no expert, but $48 million is a lot of fucking money. What's with all the "bomb" talk?

I fucking hate Tom Cruise, but I'm not deluded enough to think the guy isn't the biggest single box office draw in the world.

48 million is a bomb when you look at previous Tom Cruise openings, previous MI openings, previous openings for the first weekend in May and previous openings for movies of this genre.

I love Tom Cruise, but this opening is a big dissapointment.

It's still going to make a zillion dollars overseas and Tom Cruise probably made per day working on this movie that most people make in their lifetimes and in theory is fucking Katie Holmes, so he still wins.

No, you aren't.

I really don't see how his antics should affect me seeing his movies. In my opinion, M:I:3 lived up to it's hype. I thought it was an example of what an action flick SHOULD be like, it hooked me in from the beginning and never let go. Nobody is the movie is gonna be winning awards for this, but it was worth the price of admission. Probably the best one out of the 3...

Anyway, I really don't why this didn't make more. Could it be the 6 year gap in between them? I have no answers...

While ridiculous at times, his actions over the past year have been entertaining for the most part. The only thing he should've held back on is his rants on scientology.

Why shouldn't his antics affect one's decision to see a Tom Cruise movie? I have made a conscious effort to not see any Tom Cruise film in the past year or so. Why? I don't like him getting publicity and being the eye of the general public. I don't want my dollar to somehow make its way back into his pocket. M:I:3 was a vehicle to get Tom Cruise over and I will not support that. There are plenty of other actors out there... I just want Tom to go away.

His actions are not entertaining. They're erratic and frightening. Ranting on psychiatry and his ability to cure people based on his thetan level, eating placenta, pulling an ego trip because someone made a joke about his sexuality... it's unnatural and weird.

Am I making too big of a deal out this? Probably. But there is no way I'm seeing a movie headlined by this guy and I'm sure there is a huge segment on the population who feels the same way.