TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Art Sandusky

"Hello, my name is The Czech Republic."

Guest Montresor
Can you imagine how much pent-up frustration Barrett must have? We saw flashes of it with the Dave Roberts thing.

Barrett wants Polish-American and half-African-American, half-Japanese players out of baseball.

Guest StylesMark

Wow. I always figured Czech for a bitter racist.

I'm inclined to agree with Kotz, for once. "Pissed of spic" was a little uncalled for. Especially in the sports folder. But that's what happens when kids watch their teams go down the shitter, time and time again.

Czech HATES it when people do well for themselves.

If Ichiro and Johjima are any indication, I want the Mariners to be entirely Japanese.

I'm sick of Carl Everett and his "crazy black man who doesn't believe in dinasaurs" schtick.

Actually I'm just sick we're paying a guy $8,000,000 who hits .250, can't steal, and, oh yeah, is a DH.

Baseball's a shit sport.

Nail. Head. Baseball is cricket without the action, and that's saying something.

Guest Felonies!

I didn't say Ozzie himself is a pissed-off spic, but he certainly is playing one. Now he says that his sons, who illegally ran on the field during the brawl, had every right to do so contrary to Ryan Dempster's objections, because baseball is his sons' lives, and not Dempster's. That doesn't even make any sense! He also made some vague threats toward Frank Thomas. Class act.

Guest Vitamin X

For fuck's sake people, spic isn't even offensive.

Get over your politically correct selves.

Guest Princess Leena

On this board, it must be offensive.

I actually thought "spic" was some abbreviation for Hispanic... but, it's actually a shortened form of "spiggoty", which means No Speak the English.

Yeah, I'm going to start walking up to Latinos and calling them that.

It's good to see that the initial reaction to any accusation of racism (even when it's someone who's shown little to no sensitivity in the past) in this country these days is greeted with "oh please, it's not a big deal."

On this board, it must be offensive.

I actually thought "spic" was some abbreviation for Hispanic... but, it's actually a shortened form of "spiggoty", which means No Speak the English.

Then shouldn't it be "spig"?

It's good to see that the initial reaction to any accusation of racism (even when it's someone who's shown little to no sensitivity in the past) in this country these days is greeted with "oh please, it's not a big deal."

That's because it's not a big deal and your accusation of racism is stupid.

Guest StylesMark

I'd love for any of you to walk up to Puerto Rican or Hispanic that you know and call them a "spic."

Funny how easy it is behind a keyboard.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm Cuban and I'm not the least bit offended by it. I live in Miami, and most people I know here are Hispanic obviously- no one cares.

The only people offended by it seem to be whites. However, I can see it being offensive in only one way, which is what I would assume Black Lushus' friends would be offended by, and that's using it in a way which denotes that their race/appearance causes something negative about them. For example, "You stupid fucking Mexican" is just as offensive as "You stupid fucking spic".

In fact, in that case, I'd rather be called a spic.. At least in that case the idiot would be noting that I'm hispanic and not Mexican, which would at least be right.

Guest Felonies!

This ISN'T a big deal. Did I say "I want all those pesky Meskins offa mah there baseball teams"? Or "I miss the Negro Leagues, let's bring those back and keep the darkies to themselves"? No. I said that one particular manager is consistently out of line in his actions and remarks when he does not need to be, for the purpose of drawing attention to himself, to an extent marketing himself so that The Collected Wisdom of Ozzie Guillen can be found at all Chicagoland & Northwest Indiana booksellers. When it's sufficient to act like a rational and collected man, he clearly elects to scream "joo," "mang," "boosheet," and "fuck" an awful lot.

You've pretty much demonstrated that you're not familiar with the situation at hand, anyway. Why is it your business to go out of your element just to start shit with me over one word, one relatively inconsequential word? Do you think you're doing great work for the cause of social equity and racial tolerance by accusing me of wanting segregation in the major leagues because I disapprove of one manager's boorish actions? That's fucking ridiculous and you have to know it. Why is Chave piling on here? His country of origin does not play much baseball. Prince "Get banned 30 times, come back 31" Paul is here because it concerns me taking shit from someone, but I saw that coming. (Who didn't?)

In a sport as racially and ethnically diverse as baseball is in this day and age, it's positively asinine and nigh impossible to be a racist and a baseball fan at the same time. Do you think I want Carlos Zambrano off the Cubs because he's Venezuelan? You think I want Rich Hill in his place because at least he's white? If you were really that up in arms over "Ozzie Guillen is ramping up the pissed-off spic act," you could've handled that privately or just in passing within that TWIB thread. Starting a thread over it was fucking stupid.

Guest Princess Leena
I'd love for any of you to walk up to Puerto Rican or Hispanic that you know and call them a "spic."

Funny how easy it is behind a keyboard.

I've seen it happen a few times in my college, and nobody cared.

But, I guess it's more offensive in the NYC area where there's tons more Hispanics.

Guest Princess Leena
You've pretty much demonstrated that you're not familiar with the situation at hand, anyway. Why is it your business to go out of your element just to start shit with me over one word, one relatively inconsequential word? Do you think you're doing great work for the cause of social equity and racial tolerance by accusing me of wanting segregation in the major leagues because I disapprove of one manager's boorish actions? That's fucking ridiculous and you have to know it. Why is Chave piling on here? His country of origin does not play much baseball. Prince "Get banned 30 times, come back 31" Paul is here because it concerns me taking shit from someone, but I saw that coming. (Who didn't?)

I have to agree with Czech, here.

This ISN'T a big deal.

Okay, so why was this statement followed by an awful lot of defense and rationalization? My high horse might be annoying, but it sure seems to be causing you undue grief.

This isn't even about one specific instance (your rebuttal ignored the assertion that someone would be employed purely because they're black anyway). It benefits the "stop being so politically correct" set to try and make it about as narrow a occasion as possible, but the same ones saying this are the same ones who make racial/religious/ethnic gags on a regular basis. Yes, what Leena has to say sure carries a lot of weight in a discussion like this (one folder up, in the "people you want to punch" thread, "all black NFL WRs" was a response of hers initially). I'm so relieved that the admitted bigot agrees with a defense of bigotry.

Seriously, it's 2006. Start trying to act like it, people. Either that or derail any thread about rap or urban culture with your own commentary on why it's inferior to your own lifestyle and value system. You know, whichever comes more natural for you white guys and gals that aren't burdened by consciences but have strong senses of your own superiority. I'll be over here sitting on my big ol' high horse, actually giving two fucks about the things I say about other people.

Guest Princess Leena

You've called me a bitch before. That's a derogatory remark made simply because of my sex. Therefore, you're also a bigot, along with 99% of this board.

You've called me a bitch before. That's a derogatory remark made simply because of my sex. Therefore, you're also a bigot, along with 99% of this board.

No, it's a derogatory remark made simply because you can be, and were at that time, a bitch. That's a term used to describe behavior, like "She's being such a bitch for some reason." But you never hear someone say "That guy is just acting like the biggest nigger today." Slurs are slurs because they ignore conditions of behavior in favor of attacking the permanent nature of a person. Good attempt though.