TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. S£im Citrus

Covers you liked better than the original?

Mushroomhead's "Crazy" completely annihilate's Seal's version. Not that it's hard to do.

I can't say it's better but Shadow's Fall's version of "Welcome to the Machine" is pretty damn good.

I can't say it's better but Shadow's Fall's version of "Welcome to the Machine" is pretty damn good.

Concurred. Same with Finger 11. Nothing will likely ever top Pink Floyd's, but ShadowsFall did go tits up attempting it.

Phish's cover of Ween's "Roses are Free"

I wouldn't necessarily say it's better, but it feels appropo.

And that doesn't mean you're diggin' with farm instruments, baby.

Nick Cave covered Pulp's "Disco 2000" for a Pulp b-side that was really good. I also have nothing but love for Menswear covering "Can't Smile Without You"

Also the Manics did great versions of "White Christmas" and "Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel", which are both on "Lipstick Traces"

Yeah...the Dylan "I Shall Be Released" only came out on the Basement Tapes and I think on a live record...maybe a bootleg. It was co-written by Charlie Manuel and it was pretty much known as, and is known as, a Band song. I just mentioned it cuz somebody gave me shit for saying that my favorite The Band song was "I Shall Be Released" and decried it as shameful that my favorite The Band song is a cover song.

Not to be nitpicky, but seeing as how I'm becoming the defacto Band-go-to guyaround here, "I Shall Be Released" was not cowritten by Manuel, he cowrote "Tears of Rage" but "Released" was credited soley to Dylan.

But it is a Band song more than it is ever a Dylan song

Speaking of the Band and covers, "Don't Do It" I believe a Otis Redding cover is a knockout, in paticular the live version on Rock of Ages

I like the Zombie Apocalypse cover of "Welcome to the Jungle" more than GNR's original. It's a fucking horrid cover musically, but there's more danger and aggression in ZA's cover than in GNR's. Plus, it's still funny to hear their take on the whole "Do you know where you are? / You're in the jungle, baby! / You're gonna die!" bit during the build to the last chorus. It is this:

Do you know where you are?

You're in the GRAVEYARD!

You're DEAD!

Sure, it's cheesy, but I like it. Overall, the album it's off of (Bring You To Your Knees, which is nothing but hardcore and metalcore bands covering GNR tunes...and Every Time I Die goes acoustic to cover "I Used To Love Her," which is somewhat disappointing) is pure shit, but it's a nice cover in the sense that ZA took it and gave it their own style.

The Doors.

Can't say I'm a fan of that particular cover version. The original is perfect in my eyes.

Joss Stones' version of The White Stripes "Fell In Love With A Girl" is good stuff.

No, it's really not. I had to listen to it constantly while working at Bob's Store, and I can't say I find anything remotely positive about that song. Half of the rhyme scheme is thrown out the window because she changed every "girl" to "boy."

Eh...it's a different approach. Seger's original is downbeat and depressing, his version saying that touring makes him sad. Metallica's is aggressive, their version saying that they turn their depression into anger on the road. Both good versions, and I don't think I could choose one over the other in terms of actual quality, but I must say that I'd rather listen to the Metallica cover than the Seger original.

One thing they can't touch, though, is The Misfits. Their covers of Misfits songs are good, damn good, and Metallica sure did help boost the fanbase of The Misfits after the initial breakup, but you just can't fuck with the originals. That's similar to Sick of it All's cover of "All Hell Breaks Loose," which is essentially how the song would've sounded had the band written it today (a little heavier, and slightly faster), but again: you just can't fuck with the original Misfits.

Just curious: Anyone here like the NIN "Hurt" more than Cash's? I've always favored NIN's, probably because I heard it first.

Just curious: Anyone here like the NIN "Hurt" more than Cash's? I've always favored NIN's, probably because I heard it first.

Probably, but it's hard to separate from the sentimental feelings for Cash. Like, Joe Strummer and Cash's version of Redemption song always makes me sad.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I kind of like The Dillinger Escape Plan's version of "Come to Daddy." I've never heard anyone else attempt Aphex Twin.

I really really love Mike Patton, but Sabbath's "War Pigs" is way better.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

It's the last track on the Irony is a Dead Scene EP with Mike Patton. Go out and buy it. You'll hug yourself.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Just barely. FNM's cover of it sounds just like it, pretty much, so Sabbath's original only wins out because it's the original.

Disagreed. The original's production fits the song better. The rhythm section is way too..thumpy on the FNM cover.

Butthole Surfers cover of "American Woman", which is on the album Rembrandt Pussyhorse, is awesome.

Van Halen's "You Really Got Me" over The Kink's version.

Hell no.

Hell Yeah. Sorry that you disagree.

I gotta say hell no. The Kinks version is better.

Land of Confusion

Also, Manson's "Personal Jesus/Reach Out and Touch Faith" song totally owns the 80's version, which I just heard on the radio for the first time in forever, and is really lame.

Fuck no. Depeche Mode's original kicks Manson's sorry ass.

Sorry about that. It's just that Depeche Mode is one of my favorite bands, and I really hate Manson's cover of that song.