TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlefreak

OAO Vengeance 2006 Thread

The final spot in the Angle/Orton match looked horrible. It would have been better if Angle wouldn't have had to turn mid-fall to hit the buckle. I still wouldn't have liked it, but it at least would have looked better.

I wouldn't have minded if Cena had just FU'd Sabu and pinned him. But that was a serious burial on Sabu after they had done such a solid job with him before this.

I don't know why but I can't see RVD/Cena going off as planned tomorrow. Edge will run in, or be added, or something. Van Dam losing the title has to be done in a way that protects him since he'll still have ECW's belt and be the main draw on that show. It absolutely cannot be "Missed 5 Star, FU, STFU, bye bye Robbie."

Did it seem that Sabu landed really awkwardly on that table to anyone else? His lower back just sheared the end of the table off and smacked into the floor.

Guest InuYasha

So, was the PPV any good, and should I care? It seems people are having some bad comments about it.

I wouldn't have minded if Cena had just FU'd Sabu and pinned him. But that was a serious burial on Sabu after they had done such a solid job with him before this.

I don't know why but I can't see RVD/Cena going off as planned tomorrow. Edge will run in, or be added, or something. Van Dam losing the title has to be done in a way that protects him since he'll still have ECW's belt and be the main draw on that show. It absolutely cannot be "Missed 5 Star, FU, STFU, bye bye Robbie."

That's because it was Cena doing the spot. He put no power into his FU and in doing so, basically dumped Sabu over the top and is lucky that Sabu isn't seriously hurt from that spot.

...wait, no... nevermind. Cena could've broken Sabu in two, and Vince still would've returned that fake ass Marine-esque salute and hand him the WWE title.

So, was the PPV any good, and should I care? It seems people are having some bad comments about it.

I wouldn't say it was bad so much, as it just wasn't exciting.

There used to be a point when on pay per views, there was always some kind of surprises, or something extra or something (I really expected X-pac, or at least a new DX member tonight)...but instead now, matches just sort of happen.

As others have said, I really enjoyed the 3 way match. I really like the Tower of Doom like spot. And contrary to what Meltzer said, it didn't look like a Bad X-Division match, but instead, a good WWE match. WWE title match was good as well, but I'm still a little piss there were still 3 matches left after it.

The DX match actually wasn't that bad (until the end when they buried them all with finishers) And kudos to Johnny. Spot of the match IMO at least, was Johnny's karate deal, which otherwise would have been stupid, but since his face/chest were covered in blood from what looked like a legit nose bleed/break, it just made it look so cool.

Overall, the PPv wasn't that bad imo. Although, the STF is still a gay finishing move.

It was mixed. Could have been a lot better but a couple of matches saved it from being a train wreck.

I wouldn't say it was bad so much, as it just wasn't exciting.

There used to be a point when on pay per views, there was always some kind of surprises, or something extra or something (I really expected X-pac, or at least a new DX member tonight)...but instead now, matches just sort of happen.

As others have said, I really enjoyed the 3 way match. I really like the Tower of Doom like spot. And contrary to what Meltzer said, it didn't look like a Bad X-Division match, but instead, a good WWE match. WWE title match was good as well, but I'm still a little piss there were still 3 matches left after it.

The DX match actually wasn't that bad (until the end when they buried them all with finishers) And kudos to Johnny. Spot of the match IMO at least, was Johnny's karate deal, which otherwise would have been stupid, but since his face/chest were covered in blood from what looked like a legit nose bleed/break, it just made it look so cool.

Overall, the PPv wasn't that bad imo. Although, the STF is still a gay finishing move.

You hit the nail pretty much on the head. After the DX Spirit Squad match when they had I think it was Mitch in the ring, I thought for a second he was going to turn face but instead they stuck his face up Hunter's ass. Johnny's karate thing was hilarious. The image of him putting that headband on with blood pouring out his nose after Kenny was checking on him and Mikey was calling time out was great.

The 3 way match was good and it wasn't like a bad X-Division match at all. Edge should have walked out with the title after a fast ref count or something though. The title match should have main evented as well. At the very least it should have come after Cena/Sabu.

Opener was mediocre, but good enough I guess. Randy Orton matches are like slow, forgettable action movies where just enough crap happens to convince you that you just saw a match, but it's gone the next day.

Umaga killed Eugene and his old gimmick buddies in the best way possible, in a match that I forgot was on the show by the time I left the sports bar. Kamala/Umaga should last until Raw tomorrow night, where Umaga beats Kamala in 30 seconds.

Flair/Foley was okay as advancement towards a big SummerSlam match. Anything else will be a waste of time.

The Intercontinental title match was fun, as at least you saw the guys try some things that went outside the WWE style. Carlito's rope-to-rope-to-floor leap was something outta PWG. Fun, enjoyable, but not really sound as a wrestling match. Second best of the night though.

RVD/Edge was absolutely criminal in its placement on the card. Were this the real main event of the evening, people would have a much, much better opinion of this show. You could have had RVD offer Cena a rematch on Raw earlier. That said, this match rocked pretty hard. Edge was busting out some No Mercy moves and that powerbomb onto the top of the security wall was sick as fuck. A misplaced main event caliber match. And by the way... what the fuck is the plan with Edge now? This dude keeps getting jerked around.

Kane/Kane was there. Just dull. I feel so sorry for Kane. The Undertaker reportedly offered Kane a match where he would break the Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak in the Undertaker's last match, but Kane said no! Whattaguy.

Cena/Sabu is a weird one. How the hell were the C-show guys beating up ECW mainstays? I'll bet most of the fans there couldn't figure out who at least two of the Raw dudes were. Sabu didn't look like a puss, Cena looked like someone who needed help but wasn't a puss either, so whatever. Still felt like a TV main event or something.

I can't get into this DX reunion. They really need to explain how this really came back about and chill on the pranking shit. I was rooting for the Spirit Squad for a second, then decided I didn't like any of the people on the screen. HHH doesn't know how the hell to be a face. Look at his posing and shit. Terrible. Boring match too. 5-on-2 is shit we've been seeing on Raw for what's felt like years anyway.

Star Ratings:

Orton/Angle: **

Umaga/Eugene: 1/4*

Foley/Flair: *1/4

Carlito/Nitro/Benjamin: ***

RVD/Edge: ***4/5

Kane/Kane: 1/2*

Cena/Sabu: **1/4

DX/Spirit Squad: **

The crowd wasn't really interested in anything except Flair, and after he bladed and bled like crazy they were well and truly dead for the rest of the night.

Best I can remember, crowd was completely into the match by the time the end came around. It was slow to start, but did it ever deliver. I am very impressed with the work that both guys put into the match. Also, RVD's spine has to be made of rubber. Theres no other explanation for the things that people can do to him and it not kill him.

After Vengeance went off the air, DX continued to celebrate. They got several women to flash them and tried to get Lillian Garcia to do the same. Garcia didn't, so Triple H mooned her.

- PWInsider.com

RVD/Edge was absolutely criminal in its placement on the card. Were this the real main event of the evening, people would have a much, much better opinion of this show. You could have had RVD offer Cena a rematch on Raw earlier. That said, this match rocked pretty hard. Edge was busting out some No Mercy moves and that powerbomb onto the top of the security wall was sick as fuck. A misplaced main event caliber match. And by the way... what the fuck is the plan with Edge now? This dude keeps getting jerked around.

I have to say, putting RVD/Edge in the middle of the card really pissed me off a lot. This was the one time that we were finally going to see some fresh people on top with WWE and ECW Champion RVD taking on Edge. Instead, they got placed behind: Kane vs. his outfit, the Raw job squad squashing ECW, and in the main event, a nostalgia act taking on five jobbers. WTF!

Oh, and even worse, they basically gave away the ending of the match. Going to the show, I fully expected Edge to win the title, and then when I was watching the video package and it struck me that they were doing RVD/Edge 1:10 into the show, I was like, "oh, I guess RVD is gonna retain, because there's no way in hell they put three matches ahead of a world title change." What should have been an exciting surprise victory turned into a ho-hum defense.

And finally, even the stupid Cena segment would have worked better in the ring. If RVD was celebrating after his match, and called out Cena to the ring, it would have made the confrontation seem more significant. Of course, I guess they don't want the paying customers to realize that the Raw match is more significant than the PPV match that preceded it, so maybe that's why had to pretend that Spirit Squad vs. main eventers part 8 was what was really worth watching.

Guest J0bber

Didn't JR say something on WWE.com like there was going to be new faces at last night's PPV? Apparently, there weren't any.

Guest J0bber
Doink and Kamala.

Oh yeah, that was so underwhelming I forgot I read about that. I thought JR was hinting more towards a former member of DX returning.

Edge/RVD was easily the best match. A great match. The triple threat was also good, with some amazing spots. DX/spirit squad was ok, Cena's match was average.

A good PPV, overall.

P.S. I ordered the encore presentation this morning, and Sky apparently edited out the segment where Vince talks to a boy in a wheelchair. From now on, I'm only gonna order the live PPVs, and tape them.

Well, I kinda thought RVD was going to retain when it was placed right after the IC title change. I figured there was no way they would change two belts back to back like that.

The bizarre logic here is the world title match being in the midcard on a PPV indicates either the heel winning or some sort of non finish. Yet here it was the face retaining, or at least I think RVD is the face. The aspect that sucked is that it was in fact a main event level match.

RVD/Edge not headlining was bullshit. They had the best match of the night and those two were bumping and working their ass' off. Edge gave RVD his best match since.... God knows how long. I haven't seen RVD work like that since maybe Eddie.

Oh, and I hate that gay German suplex spot Angle tries to do.

I couldn't help but think that the Edge/RVD match last night was what we SHOULD have seen at ONS, except there it would have been Edge defending and RVD winning the title.

P.S. I ordered the encore presentation this morning, and Sky apparently edited out the segment where Vince talks to a boy in a wheelchair. From now on, I'm only gonna order the live PPVs, and tape them.

I concur on taping live PPVs as Sky do cut out a lot of stuff. Of course, you run the risk of Sky showing some of the show with the picture stretched, as has been happening on live PPVs and Raws more and more recently.

Not to mention missing half of the WWE vs ECW special.

The crowd was hot for Kurt Angle/Randy Orton. Alot of people on these forums probably don't want to acknowledge the fact that Orton was cheered more than Angle. The little segment where Vince McMahon rolled the kid in the wheelchair out the door and apparently down some stairs really killed the crowd. The three-way for the Intercontinental title brought them back, but then killed them once again when Johnny Nitro won the title out of nowhere. If Carlito had won, I think he would have received the biggest pop of the night. I didn't like the way that John Cena fought off the entire ECW locker room and pinned Sabu far too easily and quickly. I thought it was a good all-around pay-per-view and really don't feel like I wasted my money.

I'll tell you what, that crowd was aching for Carlito to pull out that win. The tower in the corner spot convinced the half of the crowd that wasn't into the match to start paying attention.

The McMahon crap was kept to a minimum at least. Heaven help us if he had put himself in another PPV match.

The crowd was hot for Kurt Angle/Randy Orton. Alot of people on these forums probably don't want to acknowledge the fact that Orton was cheered more than Angle.

What you mean a lot of internet fans have an irrational hatred of Orton? Never!

As for the card: Good to see Nitro getting a push but I'm not sure where Carlito or Benjamin go from here. As for Umaga Joe...his monster push has fallen flat on his face. His manager is more over than he is.

My nephews went to the show last night, and after it was over they went to where the wrestlers park. The only guys signing autographs were RVD and, like him or not, Randy Orton and my nephews met both of them, saying they were both very nice and friendly with the fans. He said Lawler and JR left together in the same car, as did Orton/Umaga and Carlito/Shelton.