TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

OAO ECW Week 4 on Sci-Fi, July 4th

I'll see ECW when I watch an old tape, because this sure as hell isn't it.

This is sad, or rather the fact that people actually thought this would work. They'll be taking this off the Sci-Fi program guide within the next two months.

As bad as the show is, it's still going to get 1.7 to 2.3 ratings and that's good enough for Sci-Fi.

So the obvious feud is Big Show vs. Tommy Dreamer for the next few weeks.

Heyman's heel turn actually makes perfect sense considering he's been telling Rob for WEEKS not to defend the title so damn much. In kayfabe, he'd rather have an ECW Champion that won't risk injury every week. The fact that it's his old protege Big Show is the icing on the cake.

Quite frankly, I think this is the best thing to happen to ECW since its rebirth. RVD gets to recharge, gets a megapush as a plucky babyface upon his return, and ECW actually has an intra-ECW storyline (Big Show as heel champ ruining people) that provides opportunities for the directionless guys (Dreamer, Sandman, etc.)

I'll see ECW when I watch an old tape, because this sure as hell isn't it.

This is sad, or rather the fact that people actually thought this would work. They'll be taking this off the Sci-Fi program guide within the next two months.

As bad as the show is, it's still going to get 1.7 to 2.3 ratings and that's good enough for Sci-Fi.

Oh no. With what happened tonight, there's no way this show will sustain those ratings. You can't alienate your primary fanbase and expect to keep those numbers.

Give it four weeks. ECW is going to be scoring in the low 1.0's. They'll bottom out maybe even a little below that.

So both Rob and Sabu are gone (Sabu may not even bother coming back) and Angle is gone but that's a thankfully cause his body is a walking car accident.

So each week it'll be

Kelly sorta does that thing she calls dancing, Knox stops her and beats someone popular from ECW past.

The Vampire walks around outside

A gimmick shows up, Sandman beats it up

Test will beat up a jobber

CM Punk will tell us who he is in the least convincing way possible

And Big Show will constantly defend against Dreamer or a jobber

Yeah, sounds like must see TV.

Guest The Great Muta
So both Rob and Sabu are gone (Sabu may not even bother coming back) and Angle is gone but that's a thankfully cause his body is a walking car accident.

So each week it'll be

Kelly sorta does that thing she calls dancing, Knox stops her and beats someone popular from ECW past.

Brought to you by Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn...

Even though it sucked ass, you have to respect Vince's decision to put the ECW belt on a guy that only worked for the two promotions ECW use to insult in front of a Philly crowd. The guy doesn't give a fuck and I admire it.

Guest The Great Muta
Even though it sucked ass, you have to respect Vince's decision to put the ECW belt on a guy that only worked for the two promotions ECW use to insult in front of a Philly crowd. The guy doesn't give a fuck and I admire it.

I honestly believe Vince is doing this on spite. Some sort of way to stick it to Paul Heyman and the fans of the old ECW...

I really think they should have planned this out a bit more so they'd have more talent to use on the show, but I guess they figured 1 hour a week they wouldnt really need too much.

Once ECW seperates from RAW (which Id say has now happened), I suspect ratings will drop but I doubt it will be that bad, at least short term, but throw more crap like tonight out and ECW will stand for Extremely Comatose Wrestling..show.

It makes little sense, kills the credibility of ECW, and is going to cost Vince McMahon some serious money in the long run.

No, you don't have to respect it. It smacks of someone that has this extreme brand but has absolutely no idea what to do with it. It's not that he consciously chose to piss off the fans. It's that he simply doesn't know any better.

I honestly believe Vince is doing this on spite. Some sort of way to stick it to Paul Heyman and the fans of the old ECW...

Oh the McMahons are no doubt "settling" old business with Heyman, hence why it looks like Velocity.

I've defended new ECW, but the only thing I'm interested in is the crowd reaction at this point. TBS ECW champ got violent X-Pac heat tonight, which is new at least. Things can only get a lot worse, as I think this can survive with 1.0 ratings on Sci Fi.

I question the wisdom of killing a town so soon when you start a new brand. Especially when the brand you are restarting is ECW and the town you kill is Philadelphia.

The wrestlers are not what is killing this in my mind. ECW always had it's fair share of slugs. It is this "Extreme Rules" crap. Back in the old ECW where you might have had a jabroni like Mike Knox fight Little Guido there would at least be some chair shots and FBI interference to spice the match up. Now there is just "not ready for prime time" Mike Knox stomping Guido and making faces like he is constipated.

Do people honestly believe that CM Punk is going to save this ECW project?

No, but he's our best hope right now, apart from Vince going into a coma or something.

So each week it'll be

Wow, way to set the bar there.

1) Eventually Knox will have to enter into some kind of feud and the bullshit Kelly stuff will stop.

2) The Vampire will more than likely eventually actually wrestle (and is supposedly getting a stable or something, but that might have changed now that Gangrel might not get on TV)

3) I can see one of the gimmicks eventually feuding with Sandman for a bit, as it just keeps showing up week after week.

4) Test will end up in the upper-mid card, whether we like it or not

5) You're an idiot for this statement. If CM Punk doesn't wrestle next week, he'll at least do something more than the generic intro promo he was pretty much forced to do this week, given the time constraints.

6) Whether we like it or not, he's the guy they went to as their "safe bet". If nothing else, he'll keep it warm until RVD returns for a triumphant victory.

I wish you people would stop acting like this is armageddon for the brand. Yeah, it sucks that RVD & Sabu got busted. It's their fault, whether we like it or not, but it happened and now there has to be some major shakeups to fix it. With that Sabu promo tonight, it doesn't *seem* as if he is going anywhere, at least not soon. Maybe in a month or something, I guess, if he does go.

Vince McMahon has never had fans react the way the ECW mutants used to. Sure, he had the loud pops and the huge boos and all of that, but outside of some borderline risque chants, he never had that kind of true devotion. He's testing their devotion now, for damn sure, but he's watched his old 6.0+ ratings drop to the high 3s and low 4s after being on top of the world six years ago. But even through that 6 years, he knows that ECW's fanbase is still just as vocal as they were then (what's left of it anyway).

Vince has killed his crowds and has watched his fanbase die in favor of his ego-driven self-masturbatory bullshit he calls the WWE. It might be spite, it might be insanity, but now it seems as though he thinks he knows what the mutants want, when it's PAINFULLY obvious that his way of doing things was what turned them to ECW in the first place.

They want something different, and Vince and his cohorts just can't seem to grasp that, for fear something different than Raw or Smackdown will do better than his precious creations that have been nothing but the same half-dozen or so storylines painted by numbers month in and month out since the Attitude era crashed.

Funny thing is...the reason the Attitude Era brought in so many fans was because it was something DIFFERENT than what had been done in the fed for the previous 10 years, and now, almost 10 years later, he just doesn't want to roll the dice and take the chance on CHANGE. What has he got to lose by actually listening to what we want? Things changed when we cheered Austin and booed Rocky Miavia. Things changed when we cheered Eddy no matter how heelish he acted. He doesn't react to the silence anymore, unless it is what he wants.

When Vince dies, if the company isn't dead by then as well, it'll either be the greatest or the worst thing to happen to it. Either everything will fall apart due to the lack of his workaholism, or the right people will be able to speak up and move up into positions of power and understand that change is what we want, and will give it to us in the right way that might just actually bring people back to the shows as fans instead of as creatures of habit that live off of picking it apart and setting it ablaze rather than enjoying it.

Yeah this show did suck for the most part tonight, but I actually found the RVD/Show match oddly compelling. It might not be saying much but I thought this was one of the Show's better matches, at least certainly since his late 2002/early 2003 push.

As far as the angle goes, I think we all cannot separate the truth we know about RVD from the angle on TV. The angle itself was actually a good one, but it will produce such terrible short term results that I dunno if the brand will stay afloat. Given the finish I don't think RVD is going to be fired or anything...if that was the case he'd have just jobbed clean to the Show and gone bye bye. It certainly sets up an angle when he gets back where he comes gunning for the Big Show.

Anyway, until this angle can take place (or they go off the air) I'm not going to bother watching.

what did you guys expect? I mean we know they had to get rob off tv and the belt off him, so this was the way. I guess you hate it cuz its show. But show as a dominant heel champ can be very ineteresting. Have him destory everyone for a few months, then RVD comes back and beats the odds to regain (or maybe even Angle when he comes back)

The only thing is, is Heyman supposed to be the owner of ecw on tv or not? I dont think so sicne its been clearly said that Vince brought ECW back. So he is just a manager I guess, but then how can he make 3 counts?

Paul back to his roots as a heel manager can be interesting , and at least it has continuity in that Heyman used to be shows agent. this can be like shows 2nd wwe title reign could have been if they didnt have to job him to angle within a month. shows initial heel run on SD was the best of his WWE career IMO

if you dont like it, dont watch it.

everyone keeps saying theyere going to stop watching wwe, and they never do (well at least not all of them).

I am trying to just enjoy whatever they give me, you know like we all used to.

Have him destory everyone for a few months

Like who? Are we really expected to sit through Big Show vs Dreamer/Test/Knox matches for months?

if you dont like it, dont watch it.

Stupid thing to post on a wrestling message board.

And Vince won't change his thinking no matter how loud the ECW fanbase screams. His track record of making anything even remotely good has been horrible since 2001 and ECW won't be any different.

Guest Skironox

I'd be surprised if they kept some continuity up and have Tommy Dreamer challenge Big Show next week and get some sort of feud going. But knowing the track record of the WWE and their assumptions about our attention span, I doubt it.

WWE revisionists will probably spin the fans shitting all over the finish into being on par with the Bash at The Beach 96.

On the plus side that Vampire Blood spit thing looked pretty cool.

My problem with the new ECW is that it is the exact same show every week. Enough with the Kelly "strip tease", give her some wrestling training and put her in a match or have her catfight or be a valet or something...

Enough with Sandman caning some lame gimmick. It's already way old. Not a good way to spend 1/6th of your time for the night.

Enough with the WWE vs. WWE main event. Have some new talent or an old ECW guy in the main event.

The show is already amazingly predictable. In 60 minutes you can't waste 20 of them on stupid boring gimmick segments and 20 minutes on awful squash matches wrestled in WWE style.

Note that I am not a fan of the old ECW at all, I've never even seen it. So that isn't a problem for me. I just want some good angles and some good matches. At least the last few shows have had decent main events, this was just awful.