TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

My car died today

Yeah so I'm driving home on the Highway when all of a sudden I hear a loud crunch noise. Now I'm lazy, and my car is filled with empty soda cans and bottles, so my first thought is that something just smashed one of those. So I pull over, and all I see it a pool of Antifreeze and Transmission Fluid under my car, leading back to where I pulled over, and a bunch of plastic as well. So I wait 40 minutes for a tow to Pep Boys. They call me back after dinner, and apparently for some reason comething caused the crank shaft to smash a hole through the Engine, and the car is all but dead. So now I have a dead 1994 Oldsmobile Achieva in my driveway, lovely. The car only had 46k miles on it too, so it's not like it was nearing the end. Now I gotta start calling tomorrow to inquire about getting a loan so I can buy a new car. The car was nothing special at all, but it was still MY car, and I'm kind of bummed that it had to die such a horrible death. Anyone have any suggestions about what my next car should be, withing a 3500 - 5000 dollar range?

Only 46,000 miles on a car that's 12 years old? Do you ever actually leave the driveway with it?

I purchased the car in Febuary 2005 with 35,000 miles on it, so I put about 11,000 miles on it in a year and a half.

Look on craigslist.com for a decent car. I mean for 7k I got a 2000 Acura TL with 88k miles. You can find deals on there, just gotta be patient. Look for a nice lil Honda or Toyota so you can run that bad boy into the ground. Good luck.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Get a bigger loan and buy something new, you'll thank yourself.

Corsicas get a bad rap, but they're pretty good cars. My mother had her '94 from '97 until this year when the tranny blew at 106,000. It would've probably gone another 100k, but she didn't want to fix it.

Only 46,000 miles on a car that's 12 years old? Do you ever actually leave the driveway with it?

I purchased the car in Febuary 2005 with 35,000 miles on it, so I put about 11,000 miles on it in a year and a half.

You sure it wasn't 135,000? How many digits on the odometer?

Corsicas get a bad rap, but they're pretty good cars. My mother had her '94 from '97 until this year when the tranny blew at 106,000. It would've probably gone another 100k, but she didn't want to fix it.

See, I didnt need to know that.

Argh.

You sure it wasn't 135,000? How many digits on the odometer?

Nope, definetly only only 35,000, unless something shifty like Odometer rewinding is going on.

Guest Felonies!

Maybe so. Cars shouldn't die THAT early. I think the minivan made it up to 150,000. Technically, it's not dead, but the stickers expired, so it can't actually be driven.

He bought the car from a little old lady who only drove the car to church on sundays and to the market on saturdays.

That sucks to hear, but I'm sure you can get a decent beater for 2 grand.

My dad has a Toyota truck that's at 350,000 miles. Still works fine, but he doesn't use it anymore. The radiator's the only major thing that he's needed to fix.

Mine came to an end last Monday, but that was because I crashed and bounced it off the wall on the expressway. Stupid rain.

Yeah, the stupid rain.

It's funny- well, not "haha" funny- since I was almost involved in two accidents days before the crash that wouldn't have been might fault (the first was some broad in a truck trying to change lanes while she was next to me and the other was another truck running a red light while I was in the intersection), but narrowly avoided them. Then I'm taken out by the dreaded hydroplaning.

Has anyone ever wrecked and just admited "Yeah, I fucked up"? No, it's always another driver that wasn't remotely near you, or the weather, the lights weren't working or that other (parked) car came out of nowhere.

Guest Felonies!

Mine came to an end last Monday, but that was because I crashed and bounced it off the wall on the expressway. Stupid rain.

Yeah, the stupid rain.

Fuck you, man; how do you know what his situation was? Were you riding shotgun?

Has anyone ever wrecked and just admited "Yeah, I fucked up"? No, it's always another driver that wasn't remotely near you, or the weather, the lights weren't working or that other (parked) car came out of nowhere.

I think those were my exact words when I wrecked my first car during a snow storm.

Guest The Satanic Angel

I almost caused a wreck and was humbled because I knew I almost fucked up.

Accidents happen.

See, I didnt need to know that.

Argh.

Shit, I didn't read your post carefully enough I guess. Good luck!

We had a 1990 Camry in the family until a couple of years ago, when I threw a rod on the expressway. That sucked....also, the Blues Brothers had it all wrong.

I have a 1994 Camaro at 111,000 miles now. I think that the previous owners may have thrown a new engine into it at some time.