TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO Victory Road PPV Thread - July/16th/2006.

I've been saying they need to cut down to 7 ppvs a year and have 3 venues (Orlando, Detroit and either New Jersey/Philly)...

PPV's

January: Against All Odds (I hate the Final Resoluton name)

March: Destination X

April: Lockdown

June: Slammiversary

August: Sacrifice

October: Bound For Glory

December: Turning Point

Why is the prestigious #1 contender's spot being determined 3 months before the title match?

More WCW nonsense booking.

Isn't that what the Royal Rumble does for the WWE?

Perhaps I'm incorrect then, and that is the case.

However the mere fact that the champion isn't booked on the show to appear in a match (though I'm sure he'll interfere) is just astounding.

I'm guessing Sting goes over tonight, and gets cost the match by Christian against Jarrett.

At any rate, JJ/Joe and Christian/Sting would be my choice for the big October shows, but thats so far away still.

Sting/JJ next month Aug. ?

Sting+Joe Vs. JJ/Christian in Sept. ?

Sting/Christian and Joe/JJ in Oct. ?

No, 2GOLD, the Royal Rumble does not determine the #1 contender 3 months ahead of time.

It determines who will wrestle in A main event, usually THE main event, at WrestleMania.

Given TNA's history, the #1 contender is usually the next person to get a title shot. With the Rumble winner, the World title is still defended up to the PPV in big matches. See Angle/Taker this year at No Way Out.

If they want to have a huge title bout in Detroit in October, it's stupid to do the big #1 contender's match in *July*. That's 3 months without a title match. Or, if they do a title match next month, they have to rebuild the whole #1 contender's status for October all over again.

Perhaps I'm incorrect then, and that is the case.

However the mere fact that the champion isn't booked on the show to appear in a match (though I'm sure he'll interfere) is just astounding.

I'm guessing Sting goes over tonight, and gets cost the match by Christian against Jarrett.

At any rate, JJ/Joe and Christian/Sting would be my choice for the big October shows, but thats so far away still.

Sting/JJ next month Aug. ?

Sting+Joe Vs. JJ/Christian in Sept. ?

Sting/Christian and Joe/JJ in Oct. ?

Sting can feud with Christian or finish off the feud with Jarrett.

Joe can take care of Steiner and they can finish off their feud.

Works out pretty well considering the match-ups and feuds they have left to finish. Have Joe put his #1 contender on the line against Steiner and have it end with Joe choking Steiner out. Maybe he no sells a Jarrett guitar shot in the match as well.

I would like it better if it was only one PPV between now and BFG but I think there are two like you said.

"Sting/Joe, is the BFG main event title match"

That sucks.

Not when it's a better match that will draw much, much more and actually mean something.

I'm not going to argue with a TNA mark, but I will set you straight.

Joe/Sting means nothing, as the crowd has much more of an emotional attachment to Jeff Jarrett than they do Sting, the "hired big gun of the year" who at that time will have 2 months left on his contract.

Joe/Jarrett, with Joe crushing Jarrett and ending his final TNA run at the top, would represent a fresh, new direction for the company, putting young athletes at the top.

Joe/Sting would represent "Well, Sting's not gonna be here in 2 months, Joe wins, but look - OMG 2 babyfaces!"

Both would draw equal. It's not like TNA has gained any new fans in the past year from anything they've tried. Those that order TNA are TNA fans already. Like there's gonna be a massive influx of people who buy to see Joe face a broken down Stinger over a broken Jarrett or something. IT DOESN'T MATTER. The fans want Joe to murder Jeff Jarrett. Not to face Sting. Check out TV ratings and PPV buyrates. They either stay constant or dip down, depending on the matchlists. More people will order "R.I.P. JJ" then "Joe/Sting".

And for further proof that TNA booking sucks, look no further to this thread where we're discussing matches one month or three months in the future instead of hearing anyone mention the actual PPV show where the supposed future of the company is to be made a main eventer.

Eh, I prefer Joe/Sting over Joe/Jarrett any day of the week. If Joe is gonna end Jarrett's run, it's not like it's the nail in the coffin of any more of Jarrett's title reigns anyway. Somehow he'll get the belt back.

Then Sting goes over next month and drops it Joe in 2 months? That puts the title over?

Or does Joe take it next month from Jarrett and retain over Sting in October. That I'd like because you'd get Joe destroying Jarrett and Joe over Sting to build the reign's prestige.

But it also puts Joe into dangerous Goldberg syndrome. Joe's babyface mic work already has him halfway there, and being an undefeated world champion would complete it.

TNA Mark? I don't even watch TNA. I'm just smart enough to understand what makes money and what doesn't. Jarrett/Joe, doesn't draw. Sting/Joe, does.

Senshi over Kazarian via double-stomp.

Raven over Zbyszko, with haircut afterwards.

Sabin and Lethal over Nash and Shelley, Shelley takes pin.

James Gang and Abyss over Team 3D, Spike does the job.

AJ, Daniels, and Sirelda over AMW and Kim, AJ over with AMW miscue.

If you were smart, you'd know that neither of them makes money because ***TNA DOES NOT MAKE ANY MONEY AND HAS YET TO***.

But for the fans, Joe over JJ is the best emotional payoff, especially since JJ is rumored to be out of the title picture indefinately afterwards.

TNA Mark? I don't even watch TNA. I'm just smart enough to understand what makes money and what doesn't. Jarrett/Joe, doesn't draw. Sting/Joe, does.

Jeff Jarrett doesnt care whether he draws or not...so long as he keeps his 'main event' spit.

I don't watch TNA week after week, but while back I thought the winner of the #1 Contendership match got to face JJ tonight. Heck, there was a lot of word that Joe was going to win the title tonight.

What happened to all of that?

So...what reason for the all of a sudden change?

Because up until tonight, wasn't the winner of the 4way supposed to face Jarrett tonight as well?

Wow, it's his company, he's World Champ, AND he doesn't have to wrestle on the PPV? Ha, lucky Jarrett.

Overall I thought this was a good PPV.

I liked Sharkboy vs. Devine. It was a good hot opener.

I thought the matches were really well done. LAX vs. Dutt/Killings was great. Hernandez looked really good. I liked the fact that Konnan wasn't really involved. He's horrible.

Did anyone else see "Brother Runt" take that spill from the crowd right on his head. Wow, and he continued. Good solid match.

I liked that the Raven/Zybisco(sp?) match was short. It got the point across.

Eric Young is gold. He was great. Loved the segment to put him over, I can't wait until Young vs. Petey. That will be good.

Tag title match was good. Didn't feel it was great though. Was a little slow at the end, and I thought the spot fest midway through was good.

The main event was good but flat at the end since I think most people expected Joe to win. I thought it worked since it wasn't what people thought.

Nash/Shelly vs Sabin/Lethal was good. Nash stayed out of this match enough since he fucked up enough. I liked his promo before the moatch though. Liked Jerry Lynn making the save. Sets up a possible six man tag or Nash vs. Lynn for respect of the X-Division.

Naturals vs. Diamonds wsa a good solid match. I like where this whole thing with the Franchise is going. I am interested to see where it heads.

TNA needs to have less anti-ECW stuff on the show. It worked for Rhino since it put him over as full fledged TNA, but now it's enough. Don't acknowledge the competition.

The ppv was a mixed bag of exciting and boring action, smart and mundane booking, and everything else in between.

The opener was ok w/ Douglas and that promo to put the team over. Basic match but Naturals looked good in there.

Already covered Brown-Rhyno, smart booking there since the match wasnt even built at all on Impact, so its something I preferred to see other than a real match right now with a clean win for one or the other. This feud should have legs if booked properly, which is rare to see in TNA.

The LAX tag match was fucking phenominal for a middle of the card bout, didnt expect anything near that level going into it.

Senshi-Kazarian was not too bad, but seemed filler material all things considered. Didnt feel like an X title match at all, more like Impact opener.

Team Canada segment wasted time, but could see why it was done, but could have just as easily been on Impact. Eric Young has an upside as the cult favorite, sans Mikey Whipwreck of TNA.

Raven-Zbysko was a trainwreck of an actual match, match has zero heat and just proved to show this feud was crap from the start, took way too long to get to the blowoff where not a single person really cared. Incredibly boring shit that should have at least seen someone run out during or after the Zbysko shaving and attack Raven for a new program (Jake Roberts and ???).

Nash was stoned or something during the interview he had, very bizzare and weird segment there. Match was pretty dull and Nash wasnt selling nearly as well or as much for the faces this time around. Six man next month I guess w/ Lynn running in there. At this point it seems like Nash is trying to escape a job or something.

Six man hardcore match was alright, took a while to get going, but when it did, it was resemblant of a typical hc affair with a few cool spots. The fans really bumped Spike off those stairs there, damn. Finish was way flat though with the table not breaking on that Black Hole Slam through the table on Spike. Didnt see what was the point of this match at all other than to try to act like they are competing with ECW (Buh Buh stapled a "ECW fears TNA" sign to Abyss' head during the match).

Six man tag title match was ok but just was so boring to sit through, other than seeing what Kim could do in there against the guys. Finish was predictable. The new he-she isnt impressive at all really and added zero to the match.

Main event had a decent start but it fell apart when Steiner fucked up what appeared to be a major spot in the match. From there it just went downhill with Joe and Christian trying to save it but failed. The way Sting was treated in the match was something you've seen in wrestling in the match and, again, went the predictable route with the finish.

With that said, I like the direction the company appears to be going with the title though. Sting should beat Jarrett next month, Jarrett gets a de-push (feud with Raven maybe?), Christian then turns on Sting after he beats Jarrett, building to Sting/Christian at the ppv before BFG. Meanwhile Joe can beat Steiner next month, Jarrett likely at the ppv before BFG, and then we have Joe/Sting for BFG with the inevitable Joe title win. In between all of this, when Sting/Christian starts at the Sept ppv, it can be a decent match but just be a start to a longterm feud with those two after BFG and after Sting loses the belt. The idea there should be to build up Christian as a decent challenge to Joe months after he gets the title (by Sting putting over essentially both guys), leading to a big match with those two also down the road.

Basically Sting's role in all of this is that he'll be champ for a few months (since he is the real name the company needs to focus on to put it on the guy who means something - case in point, Jarrett jobbed clean to Christian and that didnt help Christian's title win and run one single bit) which is enough for him before the fans will likely turn on the idea anyway. At this point in his career, Sting does deserve the belt a few months, but much like Jarrett, only served as a transition of sorts to someone much larger and meaningful.

Being a Kazarian fan, how did he do?

Did he look good in the ring?

Didnt look any better than he did in WWE or back in TNA, not any worse either.

I like throwing Kazarian back in the mix. He just needs to turn it up a notch. I've never really had a problem with his matches.

Rhino vs Monty was how it should've been booked.

The Team Canada segment felt like it should've been on the next Impact with Team Canada should have been split apart at a ppv considering how long they've been together. However it wasn't really possible considering the guys who did take them out had other stuff to do. Eric Young is fantastic.

Hotstuff Hernandez looked great. Really enjoyed that match with Killings/Dutt.

AMV vs Daniels/Styles was good. Not as good as previous encounters, but it was good. Picked up in the end there. As sophomoric it may be, I did laugh at the menage a trois set up.

The 3D vs James Gang was entertaining.

Felt the main event was lackluster, but you could just feel the Christian turn coming closer and closer each week.

Give me Sting winning the belt, then dropping it to Joe and I'll be happy. Give me Jarrett retaining the belt, then dropping it to Joe and I'll be happy.

Bound for Glory in Detroit...awesome news. About time. We'll see how other crowds will react to TNA finally.