TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atticus Chaos

Hogan out of summerslam?

“A lot of people don’t know this,” he explained, “but when I won the WWE Championship at Madison Square Garden against the Iron Sheik, I blew out my knee during the match. [That night], I sucked it up and went on to win the title.”

Maybe The Iron Sheik was looking to take the payoff from Big Daddy Gagne.

You were also, like, 34 years old then too, Hulk.

This isn't to bash Orton.

But Orton's starpower is significantly less than Rock's and has less of a "dream match" appeal than Michaels/Hulk.

Thus, the only sense this match makes, especially since it appears to be a long-term angle that will bring in Harry Smith to Hulk's show and involve Orton/Brooke is for ORTON TO GO OVER HULK, which I 100% expect to happen at SummerSlam.

Then at Survivor Series:

Hulk's 5 man team Vs. Orton's 5 man team - "The Hulkamaniacs Vs. The Legend Killers"

Hogan will put his career on the line. Orton will brag about how he's won Survivor Series matches by himself in 2003, 2004, and 2005.

Hogan goes over. Austin/Hogan build begins in January.

heaven forbid Hogan take the fall and make way for Harry Smith to make a name for himself fighting Randy Orton (if that's for sure what the plan is)...build two stars right there.

Randy Orton will never be a big star or a huge draw. If he was going to, he would've already, but he is boring. They can build up Harry Smith for anytime.

I'd rather Hogan save his job for Stone Cold Steve Austin in his retirement match.

I'd rather Hogan save his job for Stone Cold Steve Austin in his retirement match.

That's not going to happen and if it does Hogan is going to make more money then he really should doing it.

One year ago, who'd have thought that the smarks would be loving Orton?

Myself included.

Fuck Hogan. You've got plenty of cash, a legacy that's untarnished, and Brooke about to possibly bail that out, just in case.

I keep forgetting that the majority of Raw crowds aren't posters here, shooting me in the foot. Live and learn, I guess.

hate to burst your bubble, Evander, but Orton is over, unless my TV picks up crowd noises other TVs don't...he'll be the major heel going around soon enough.

He's over because he's was fueding with faces that were over(Angle, and Hogan). Before his suspension he wasn't over, and was boring and stale. No one gave a fuck about him or Rey Mysterio in the fued, and had to resort to cheap heat(disgracing Eddie Guerrero) to get some sort of reaction.

He is not a draw at all. He's not a bad worker IMO, but he hasn't really been as entertaining as he was in 04.

he's been in the right programs already, just the wrong outcomes...not necessarily him winning the feuds, but at least not looking like a chump. He feuded with the two top stars in the company and could have been made to look strong even in losing those feuds.

he'll get there...eventually they'll stop jacking with him and get him in the right programs.

If anything the programs he is in are helping him. Hogan is more over then any current wrestler on the roster right now.

I think there are alot of better prospects on RAW that can turn into much better draws and wrestlers then Orton, and eventually they'll give up on him. I don't know, Orton just doesn't entertain me. I ain't a hater of his, and I was a fan of him since his match with Taker on SD! in 02(Which I seen live, in Calgary), but he just doesn't have that swagger no more.

I perfer watching Carlito, Umaga/Estrada, Nitro, Benjamin(Just give him a manger for fuck sakes), hell even Matt Striker, I think can cut a better promo then Orton.

Benjamin(Just give him a manger for fuck sakes)

I really wish they went through with giving him Coach as his manager like one of those Observer newsletters said a while back.

At this point, I'd reunite Haas & Benjamin, but they wouldn't be restricted to only the tag division. It'd be more of an alliance just to watch each other's back with the occasional tag match.

I honestly think that the whole knee injury thing is a semi work (as in maybe Hogan's knee is bothering him, but who knows) all designed to help Hogan save face if he loses.

In regards to Orton, note that he is slowly getting over back on Raw whereas I'd say he totally tanked in the more workrate oriented SD. Let's face it, Orton was beyond terrible on SD. He was put in feuds with either guys no one could buy him beating (UT) or against guys who are obviously better workers (Benoit, Rey). And what's worse, he was given an insane amount of time for these matches, something like 20+ minutes a show. This approach exposed him badly as a guy who can't do much beyond headlocks and the occasional spot. What does it say about Orton that after he was suspended and left SD they pushed Mark Henry and The Great Khali as the main heels and the show got BETTER?

At least back on Raw Orton has been kept on a leash and his matches haven't gone on way past a tolerable length. And he's kept his promos relatively brief, Orton Knows Best aside.

That said, what can you do with Orton on Raw? Right now he's just about the #3 heel on the show, behind Edge and even Umaga. Let's say he survives this Hogan feud with some amount of credibility. Then he will feud with HHH, who by then will want back in the title scene and Orton will be nothing but a filler program. Then he might feud with Cena for a while, and since I'd say Cena is in thicker with Vince than Orton at this point he'll likely job out in that feud as well.

If Orton could go over Hogan and if WWE hadn't already blown their load and put Orton over Michaels in 03, I'd support that program. It'd be a good follow up to a victory over Hogan, and a better test as Michaels still has more than nostalgia credibility going for him. But since Orton already beat him, there's not much intrigue.

As far as Summer Slam goes, I could see why Hogan might fake a knee injury. An excuse if he has to do the job, or more likely, an excuse for when the match absolutely sucks... But knowing his condition, I'm sure it's legit. I was actually hoping it would keep him out of action, but oh well.

As it stands, I don't care who goes over. The only way anyone could gain anything from this match is if Orton went over clean, but well, I don't even need to mention the impossibility of that happening. He won't lose any more credibility here than he did with UT the first time around (now the 4th time or so when he was running scared every week, got beat up 2 on 1 with his dad, and got his ass kicked in the blowoff match is another story).

I continue to love how people just absolutely tear into Orton...the guy is like 27 years old...there have been two wrestlers,Cena and Rock, that young who have gotten over huge...it takes time..it took Rock less time sure but he went through a few changes in his character...no he's not the best by any means but so many people act like WWE would be better off if he just quit...

I continue to love how people just absolutely tear into Orton...the guy is like 27 years old...there have been two wrestlers,Cena and Rock, that young who have gotten over huge...it takes time..it took Rock less time sure but he went through a few changes in his character...no he's not the best by any means but so many people act like WWE would be better off if he just quit...

Carlito is only a year older then him, and he is more over then Orton, and doesn't rely on cheap heat to get over. Carlito also knows how to be a face, unlike Orton.

Lesnar was way more over then Orton ever was. How about Jeff Hardy??? And even though Kurt Angle was older then 27, he was MUCH more over when he 1st debut then Orton has ever been.

wrld-lesnar01st-1.jpg

I like how everyone just forgets this guy exists. He's only been out of the WWE for two and a half years.

WWE has definitely tried to assist in erasing everyone's memory of Lesnar.

I still think a big factor in giving Orton the title at Summer Slam 04 (a move which ultimately hurt him more than it helped) was to get the "youngest WWE champ ever" label off Lesnar.

That's one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.

There's no doubt that Orton NEEDS to defeat Hogan to regain any shred of credibility he has left. He was put up against HHH and The Undertaker, the two top veterans, and he lost both feuds. They didn't let him win the Royal Rumble or the second main event of Wrestlemania. Defeating Kurt Angle was a good start, but they should have just saved the rematch for Vengeance, booking the revenge encounter at ONS II was dumb IMO.

I don't think Lesnar was ever all that over. He certainly brings more to the table than Orton in terms of amateur credentials and has a "big scary dude" look. But I don't really remember Lesnar getting massive pops as a face or massive heat as a heel. He had to go around beating up cripples to get a midcard heel reaction.

I'm likely not the best judge of Lesnar though. He forever earned my wrath when he beat RVD at KOTR 2002, which to me is still the stupidest booking decision of the post Invasion era.

Anyway, Orton. Yeah the Foley feud was good for him because he got some hard earned wins and also it didn't really hurt anyone else's push since Foley isn't a full timer.

Anyway, Orton. Yeah the Foley feud was good for him because he got some hard earned wins and also it didn't really hurt anyone else's push since Foley isn't a full timer.

I could only dream of replacing Foley with Hogan in that quote two weeks from now.

If Orton takes the fall at SummerSlam, it's gonna be fucked.

Dude has gotten over a few times now, then they fuck it up.

He could have gotten back to the top, and been believable if he would have won the Taker fued like he should have. Now, he's gettin' over agian, since the Angle fued. He rode that over to Hogan's heat, and now he's actually over again.

If they fuck it up his time, with Hogan squashing Orton, then damn,

Orton better pray to god that Hogan puts him over at the next ppv.

It won't matter nearly as much, but it could put him over more then no rematch, and no win at all.

I'm gonna watch the gotdamn thing, because I wanna see RVD get his belt back.

So, hopefully I see that and Orton getting put over.

And if Smith debuts soon, and takes over the fued for Hogan, Orton can ride that wave from SS and beating Hogan to go on to fued with Smith, they could make two superstars in one fued, if smith is ass good as everyone claims.

I don't think Lesnar was ever all that over. He certainly brings more to the table than Orton in terms of amateur credentials and has a "big scary dude" look. But I don't really remember Lesnar getting massive pops as a face or massive heat as a heel. He had to go around beating up cripples to get a midcard heel reaction.

I'm likely not the best judge of Lesnar though. He forever earned my wrath when he beat RVD at KOTR 2002, which to me is still the stupidest booking decision of the post Invasion era.

Dumb post.

From Summerslam 02 and on Lesnar was getting some of the biggest reactions in the whole WWE. LMAO at him getting "midcard" reactions. Look at the PPV's(the No Mercy HIAC, Survivor Series Vs. The Big Show, when he interfered in the Angle Vs. Show match at Armageddon).

How was Lesnar going over RVD a stupid desicion? It ended out to work good for the WWE, as they made alot of money of Lesnar.

Whoa, how'd I miss that shit?

Lesnar was really meant to be Vince's Next Big Thing, it wasn't just a nick name. Dude was takin' over when Rock, Austin, Hogan were leaving.

Rock and Hogan put him over. He fucking destroyed Hogan.

Austin never faced him, just refed the WM match with Goldberg.

But Lesnar had everything handed to him, and he got greedy.

Batista stepped up basically took Lesnar's spot. And other then injuring himself a few times, he's done pretty well.

Guest Overworked

wrld-lesnar01st-1.jpg

I like how everyone just forgets this guy exists. He's only been out of the WWE for two and a half years.

His actions at the end kinda made us all want to forget him.