TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Brock Lesnar taps to Matt Hughes...

From Matt Hughes site's forum...

We just got here late last night. Matt, Joey and I rode up from Hillsboro in his wife's new car.

Interesting night so far. Brock Lesnar is here training. He introduced himself to Matt once he saw him. Brock had a black eye and the first thing Matt said was "I looks like you've been training here already."

They just got done with a wrestling match a few minutes ago. Keep in mind Brock Lesnar is about 285-300 pounds and Matt is around 185-190 right now. Brock is clearly bigger and much stronger, but Matt wasn't intimidated in the slightest. He was continually taunting and slapping Brock throughout the match. At one point Brock made the mistake of giving Matt his back, Matt swung around and got both hooks in and for a second it looked identical to his first Trigg fight. Except Brock just powerbombs himself down to the ground. Even though he had just been slammed to the ground with 300 pounds on top of him, Matt never loses his grip and withing seconds Brock Lesnar is tapping out!

Amazing!

A buddy and I were talking about this this weekend, this guy (Brock) keeps trying to do something he has no training in, and failing miserably. First football, now MMA. Brock doesnt stand a shot here. We were watching summerslam 2003 and watching him perform it was obvious that his place is in the wrestling ring, and Smackdown needs this guy. Sooner or later he will return, if only because he has failed at everything else he's done.

A buddy and I were talking about this this weekend, this guy (Brock) keeps trying to do something he has no training in, and failing miserably. First football, now MMA. Brock doesnt stand a shot here. We were watching summerslam 2003 and watching him perform it was obvious that his place is in the wrestling ring, and Smackdown needs this guy. Sooner or later he will return, if only because he has failed at everything else he's done.

His "place" was on a wrestling mat long before a WWE ring, thus making his relationship with MMA closer then anything pro wrestling could give him.

The fact that Hughes beat Brock in a play shoot isn't that surprising. Brock's been training for only a few months, if that long. Hughes has YEARS of experience. Size doesn't automatically mean you'll win.

If Brock's giving himself 100% to MMA, and is training with Milletich full time, he'll be someone to watch.

Who cares? Gil Castillo tapped a dude who acually made it in the NFL.

Not exactly a valid comparison. Brock WAS the NCAA champ, so he has something to build off of. He's still pretty damn young. As was said, he could be something, yet it's not surprising that he tapped to Hughes.

Hey Royce Gracie just tapped Dan Severn!!!!

Guest DRH 502

My fanboyism is off the charts at hearing this. Experience or not the near 100 pound size advantage and the NCAA backround of Lesnar's is bigger than Hughes' correct? Anyway Hughes is like a little Fedor...except somewhere in his bloodline he was spliced with a mortal gene which costs him a loss every 4 years or so...

Who cares? Gil Castillo tapped a dude who acually made it in the NFL.

Not exactly a valid comparison.

*snickers and points as sarcasm goes unnoticed*

I hear their initiation rituals involve Tim Sylvia, Ben Rothwell, Mike Whitehead, baby oil and a goat.

1st time I laughed in awhile after reading somthing off a message board. Pat yourself on the back LOTC.

My fanboyism is off the charts at hearing this. Experience or not the near 100 pound size advantage and the NCAA backround of Lesnar's is bigger than Hughes' correct? Anyway Hughes is like a little Fedor...except somewhere in his bloodline he was spliced with a mortal gene which costs him a loss every 4 years or so...

That is a lie. Any losses on Matt's record are a result of his brother taking his place due to horrific wheat thresher-related injuries.

*snickers and points as sarcasm goes unnoticed*

Sarcasm is often difficult to detect in written word. You must know that by now.

Snickers? Douche.

That conjured up some very VERY bad mental images.... thanks a whole lot, Curry.

The question is whether or not Brock can learn fast enough. Hughes submitting him is just so swank, its unbelievable even though its to be expected.

Logically, Brock should study under them for one year before going in the ring for real. But this whole idea has little to do with logic.

Guest DRH 502

He might have been able to kick ass in the old days...Was Brock's amature record on par with Mark Coleman or Mark Kerr? I know its better than Matt Hughes' right?

Mark Coleman wrestled on an olympic level I think, I think Coleman placed like 5th or something in the 92 games. Mark Kerr actually beat Kurt Angle. I'd say they were better in terms of amateur accomplishments.

So it begs the question; I know amateur accomplishments don't always mean a whole lot, but it's not like Coleman and Kerr didn't showcase their skills in MMA. They actually were great at utilizing their wrestling. So while Brock is a lot bigger, by about 40 lbs, is this just another case of any wrestler entering MMA, just with a lot of Pro wrestling hype? Those guys were great athletes themselves.

Also, Brock is now training with Royce Gracie, not MFS. I don't know why he switched. This could only be worse for him as MFS is one of the best camps in the world. Also considering how the last fight Royce had against a guy from MFS went, it just makes this even weirder.

Mark Coleman wrestled on an olympic level I think, I think Coleman placed like 5th or something in the 92 games. Mark Kerr actually beat Kurt Angle. I'd say they were better in terms of amateur accomplishments.

Coleman beat Angle aswell.

Guest Brian
He might have been able to kick ass in the old days...Was Brock's amature record on par with Mark Coleman or Mark Kerr? I know its better than Matt Hughes' right?

Hughes took 8th in 1996 and fifth in 1997.

I think they faced each other but I'm pretty sure Coleman lost. You could be right though, my memory is a bit hazy.

According to both wikipedia pages of Kurt Angle and Mark Coleman, they wrestled in 1995 and Coleman won.

Coleman was 7th place in the 1992 Summer Olympics.

Well there you go.

And Kurt Angle schooled Brock when they faced. So maybe this is mostly hype after all.

Or maybe it's just certain styles match up better with others.

Kind've like boxing.

Guest Brian

Nah, Brock's skill level isn't on par with a lot of guys at the top of weight classes. Itg's still very good, but he doesn't think all that well on the mat and really relies on power and explosiveness. He won alot of matches just going to his wizzer and just keeping guys down.