TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

LWIB 8/14-8/20

I didn't start watching until last inning; what happened to Marmol?

A Chris Duncan Home Run and some pretty bad Cubs defense, including Marmol himself.

Preston Wilson homers in his first game as a Cardinal. Now if we could hold onto this 2 run lead, this would be a grand day.

I'd rather have Reyes pitching than P Dub playing OF, but I'm sure that he'll do better in St. Louis than in Houston. In Houston, he was expected to hit 30+ homeruns and drive in 80 or so. At least in St. Louis, he won't be expected to be one of the top 3 or so offensive contributers. As long as he doesn't take away playing time from Chris Duncan, he should be good for the Cards. Or he might strike out 30 times in his next 30 at-bats and blow big time. Still, he'll be a good pickup for not giving up anything.

Red Sox left a small village on base early in the game and of course it comes back to haunt them. Wang continues to be one the luckiest pitchers I've ever seen.

Pittsburgh and Washington are awful, and play the Reds and Phillies, respectively, over the weekend.

"Win the games you're supposed to win." That's a big step in proving what team is really a champion and the problem with teams in the past like the Braves who don't step up in the postseason. IMO, this is just as important as a head-to-head showdown, which traditionally sees only a one game movement in the standings.

I recall the Phillies having trouble with the Nats at a time when they were much closer to the Mets and it began a freefall down the standings for them, along with the Mets winning a ton of games at the time.

The Phillies are better than Washington and had better come out of the series either where they are now or higher, or expose themselves as total pretenders. I have faith they will, but Pittsburgh is just BAD, and the chances of the Reds sweeping Pitt. and the Phillies winning 2 of 3 seems more likely. We'll see.

At any rate, there is NO EXCUSE for the Phillies not be at least .500 after this series.

So, anybody wonder what Kevin Brown's been up to lately?

Brown Accused of Pulling Gun on Neighbor

Ex-All-Star Pitcher in Dispute Over Yard Debris

AP

MACON, Ga. (Aug. 18) - A neighbor accused retired All-Star pitcher Kevin Brown of pulling a pistol during a dispute over yard debris, officials said.

Michael Haws, whose property backs up to Brown's multimillion-dollar estate, called Bibb County sheriff's deputies Monday after an argument. He said it began when he found Brown throwing grass clippings over the fence into Haws' yard.

Haws told deputies that Brown pulled a gun and warned him against coming onto Brown's property, but did not point the gun at him.

Brown, baseball's first "million-dollar man," told deputies that he carries a gun while strolling through the woods because he often sees snakes. He did not return a telephone message Thursday from The Associated Press.

Brown, who once broke his left hand punching the wall outside Yankees manager Joe Torre 's office, told investigators that it was Haws who threw yard debris onto his property. He said he found clippings on his side of the fence and tossed a couple of fistfuls back into Haws' yard, the deputies' report stated.

Neither wanted to press charges, the report stated. Deputies said Brown resolved to "put up a taller fence" and Haws said he planned to buy a mulching mower.

Brown, 41, a middle Georgia native who pitched for Georgia Tech, was drafted fourth overall by the Texas Rangers in 1986. He also played for the Baltimore Orioles , Florida Marlins and San Diego Padres before signing a seven-year, $105 million contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers after the 1998 season.

The right-hander went to the Yankees in a December 2003 trade and went 10-6 with a 4.09 ERA the following season but experienced health problems. Toward the end of the season, he broke his hand outside Torre's office. Brown did pitch in the post-season, lasting less than two innings against the Red Sox in Game 7 of the 2004 AL Championship Series.

He missed several games in 2005 due to injury and finished 4-7 with a 6.50 ERA. Brown announced his retirement in February after a 19-year major league career with a record of 211-144.

2006-08-18 07:48:18

0 for 16 w/RISP. Is there any team that's done worse than that in a single game in the history of MLB Al?

Guest NYankees
0 for 16 w/RISP. Is there any team that's done worse than that in a single game in the history of MLB Al?

I am sure the 2004 Yankees have had a night or two like that.

Jason Johnson was DFA'd by the Sox following another splendid performance this morning in Game 1. Keith Foulke was reactivated (I sure hope he's got something left in the tank, but I'm not holding my breath).

Jason Johnson was DFA'd by the Sox following another splendid performance this morning in Game 1.

I wouldn't be surprised if the brakes on his vehicle stopped working on his way back to the hotel.

This Yankees/Red Sox series reminds me how much I despise day/night doubleheaders.

Why is that, Al?

I think it's a cheap method to enhance gate receipts while inconveniencing the fans, players and staff. It ruins one of the more enjoyable events (a straight doubleheader), and the only people that benefit are the owners.

Situational data doesn't go back that far. I can tell you that the New York Yankees left 20 men on base against Boston on Sept. 21, 1956. The Cardinals and Mariners share the record for a shutout, leaving 16 men on base in shutout defeats against the Phillies (1994) and Blue Jays (1998) respectively.

Hmmm....very true. At the very least, he's gotta fare better than Jeff Weaver, although he's been rounding into form the last couple starts.

This Yankees/Red Sox series reminds me how much I despise day/night doubleheaders.

Why is that, Al?

I think it's a cheap method to enhance gate receipts while inconveniencing the fans, players and staff. It ruins one of the more enjoyable events (a straight doubleheader), and the only people that benefit are the owners.

Yeah, I agree.

Although it does help solve a situation where a game is rained out early in the season.

Guest NYankees

It is only in the first inning and the home plate umpire has already screwed over the Yankees. That is the last of this game that I will watch.

Yeah, I agree.

Although it does help solve a situation where a game is rained out early in the season.

Well, ideally you have a doubleheader where you play a game, take five, and play the second game. It's playing one game at 1pm and the second at 7pm that really drives me nuts.

It is only in the first inning and the home plate umpire has already screwed over the Yankees. That is the last of this game that I will watch.

Good riddance.

Guest NYankees

Good riddance.

If you honestly think that strike 2 was a strike and not ball 4, you can go screw yourself and your ugly gf. Yankees should have had first and second with no outs and the meat of the order coming up.

Good riddance.

If you honestly think that strike 2 was a strike and not ball 4, you can go screw yourself and your ugly gf. Yankees should have had first and second with no outs and the meat of the order coming up.

Keep that up and you earn yourself a week off.

It was ball 4, but the Yankees didn't help matters by turning that AB into a double play. I can't even remember the last time I saw a strike out/throw out.

If the Yankees can keep being patient they'll get a ton of walks off Lester, he's not getting a whole lot over the plate.

RBI double by Cano. 1-1

Guest Felonies!
Yeah, I agree.

Well, ideally you have a doubleheader where you play a game, take five, and play the second game. It's playing one game at 1pm and the second at 7pm that really drives me nuts.

When the Cubs and Diamondbacks had their dumbleheader a while ago, Bob Brenly was talking about how it'd really be beneficial to have one or two each season so as to help build endurance as well as break up a few of those long 24-days-without-rest stretches, but they can't because that means fewer tickets sold. oh well.

Guest Felonies!

Did I just say "dumbleheader"? Just talking about the Cubs makes me subconsciously think of futility.