TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

"I was glad they didnt try another 'Americas Last Line of Defense!' type ad-campaign for this fight...considering they were in Sergei's hometown of Phoenix."

Someone should have reminded Briggs.

"How do you call a guy a faggot then keep your distance for an entire fight waiting for the guy to practically fall before you throw some serious punches? Unreal."

I suppose the name calling was Briggs and King's midguided attempt at creating drama since he can always say he didn't mean it after the fight, though all it really does is make him look like a tool(win or lose.)

Briggs threw some serious punches a few times though they were either blocked or comically short like he was seeing double or something. He was a joke for the most part, lurching about the ring at a pace that makes Valuev look like Pacman. I know he has health problems(which I doubt carrying a ton of weight helps) but the man was fighting for air after raising an eyebrow nor could he do anything to avoid the few punches and jabs that were thrown to his head.

Maybe they knew something we didn't but I couldn't believe the verbal blowjob Sergei's corner gave Briggs throughout the fight, no wander he ended up so gun shy. I know they didn't want him to get a big head and stand toe to toe with stronger man, but he had to be somewhat confident and active to pull off the win convincingly(though he was still up on the cards until he lunged into a right hand with his chin out).

Liakovich's corner was mindboggling to me. They didn't want him mixing it up with Briggs, but for 75% of the fight Briggs's hands were down at his waist. They should have told him to move in, close the distance and throw more combos at the dude's head that was wide open when Briggs was gassed after a round and a half.....

....and what is with all this calling out of Wladimir by every fighter that gets a win. Look Shannon Briggs, congrats on the win and the belt, but if THAT is how you get in shape and get ready for a championship fight, prepared to be KO'd in less than 5 rounds against Vladimir, if Mr. Don King ever lets the fight happen.

What's with Floyd saying he's going to retire after his next fight?

I respect his decision and all, but shit.

Holyfield beat Fres Oquendo in a fight that was shitty due to Fres' lack of desire to throw punches and get hit. Evander knocked him down once, when Fres got a little close. The other time Fres got close, he got dazed with a left hook. Apparently, it was a hard fight to score.

Now who does Holyfield fight?

Apperently the judges decided to punish Fres for faking the lowblow with one giving Holyfield 116-111 advantage. I say Holyfield should fight the Russian Giant that Don King is promoting.

His promoters should match him up with another Jeremy Bates type (maybe someone slightly better, like Rob Calloway) and put the fight on the actual Fox network. Give him one last chance to draw attention before going after a belt, presumably on ppv.

Brock was really hurting Wlad to the body but it just wasnt enough. Wlad looks really good with Emanuel...I dont think Briggs' posing can hurt him.

The body work was a surprise. Brock did very well for what's it worth, and to his credit he took some monster punches in that last round(I couldn't believe he stayed on his feet after that first right cracked his nose and eye).

I believe Briggs was talking trash about Brock after the fight which only makes him look like a bigger joke. Brock looked good in defeat while Briggs looked like an embarressment during his win.

Briggs is pathetic. Bernard Hopkins could probably step up (and not bother with putting on much weight) and handle Briggs' constant posing strategy.

Brock would beat Briggs as well.

I think Wlad was giving Brock too much respect early in the fight. He seemed more concerned with not walking into one of those one-punch KOs, then his own gameplan, but once he realized that Brock was not such a formidale opponent, he got down to business and just beat up Brock for a couple of rounds before the devastating KO.

Honestly, I'm surprised that Morales came in on weight, and didn't look like an Ethiopian child during the process. It's going to be a war tonight.

Because it needs to be said, Morales was destroyed by Pac.

Part of me thinks that I'm putting it lightly.

It was revenge for Viloria getting screwed over by the draw decision earlier in the night.

It was revenge for Viloria getting screwed over by the draw decision earlier in the night.

Viloria didn't get screwed over, he just wasn't willing to sell out and get hit in order to land his punches. He deserved what he got.

For the record, Valero isnt allowed to fight in the States but holds the record for most consecutive first-round kos to start a career. If it happens, it will be awesome.

"Still got the fire, still got the legs," ring legend Bernard Hopkins told Fightnews.com. "I'm out of retirement, this is the first announcement. Bernard Hopkins is out of retirement. Bernard Hopkins is going to fight until he can't fight no more. Bernard Hopkins has a good three to four years of boxing to give the world what they need. Boxing right now needs Bernard Hopkins. Boxing needs the personality of Bernard Hopkins, boxing don't need me per say as an athlete but they need my personality. No one in the world does an interview like Bernard Hopkins, no one holds it down like Bernard Hopkins. Love me or hate me. You will get a sound byte whether you agree or disagree with me and at the end of the day when you sit ringside, you know Bernard Hopkins will give a 'Bernard Hopkins' performance."

-fightnews

What are everybody's picks for all the fights Saturday night?

I'm taking Winky by decision (but rooting for Ike), Lacy by ko within 8, Cotto by late stoppage over Quintana (FOTN probably), and Clottey in the upset (I'm really tired of the Margarito hype...nobody is ducking him, and the one time he stepped up and fought someone with a pulse/experience he got beat by Forbes).