TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

I was anti-Oscar until the last three rounds with Vargas. He won me over with that. I still wanted Mosely to win their rematch, though.

Tuesday Night Fights was great. Its been close to fifteen years but I think they had the Kevin Kelley-Troy Dorsey fight where they threw about a million punches. Too bad the run ended with a fucking Butterbean fight.

In a few weeks we'll have Wed & Fri night fights on Espn2 and Thurs nights on VS. to go with the HBO/Showtime/ppv/occasional FSN/hopefully ABC coverage.

Mikkel Kessler wrecked Librado Andrade tonight. Catch the replay on HBO if you want to watch a beating. This dude would kill Calzaghe.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

He left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Any fighter with some real steam behind their shots would've at least cut that Andrade guy, and Kessler backed up whenever Librado hit him and bled easily. I don't think Mikkal has any oomph behind his shots.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Those decrying the Barerra/Marquez decision need to have their head examined. I didn't have it as lopsided as the judges, but JMM won that fight comfortably. I had the fight even at 2 rounds apiece going into the 5th, which was as even as the 6th. I'd accept an argument for either of those rounds. Personally I scored one for Marquez and one even. In the 7th he had MAB on the brink of a 10-8 round before MAB scored a knockdown that didn't get officially counted, then lost a point for a blatant cheapshot while Marquez was getting his footing. Bad call by the ref for the missed knockdown. I ended up scoring the round 10-9 Marquez because both men got the fuck beat out of them, the ref screwed up, and MAB had to lose a point. 8th was all Barerra, 9th could've gone either way, and Marquez took the fight by the balls and won the last three rounds easy. His punches did more damage and he was the aggressor late in the fight. If it went fifteen, I'd expect JMM to have stopped him.

I don't think Andrade's ever been down.

Agreed about Kessler's chin, I think it's non-existant.

Uh no. There's nothing in that match to suggest that Kessler has no chin. The nose bleeding is just one those fluke things that happens. He nevery looked hurt by any of the few shots that landed. Yeah, he backed or turned away to lessen the impact of shots...it's not like he was getting blasted backwards, it was deliberate movement.

Andrade's chin looked to be made of Iron however. Kessler(already proven to have power) was obviously hitting him very hard. Calzaghe/Kessler would be interesting and I doubt either one would all out kill the other. I would give Calzaghe the edge by decision, possibly outclassing him, but certainly not dominating him.

It looked like it was very easy to move him. Kessler's chin has never been tested to begin with, so I can't possibly have the opinion that his chin is good. He dominated Mundine, and knocked out Beyer real quick. He's never been in a a dogfight.

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=016951

Just look at his decisions. I think he's the best supermiddle out there, but there's no results or any video out there where I've seen the guy get hit with a clean shot on the chin and walk through it. Whether or not his movement is deliberate, I can't tell yet. I need to see more than the three fights of his that I have seen.

I've seen enough of Andrade on Spanish Language TV to know that his chin is made of rock. He didn't cut because of the way that his skin forms around his face, he doesn't have the hard features that lead to bruising and swelling. He'll get back in the mix real soon.

"It looked like it was very easy to move him."

He back paddled out of trouble a few times, that's it. The object of good defense is to avoid being hit directly. He took a few clean hits but nothing looked to hurt him. Does that make him Jake LaMotta or something..no, but I certainly didn't see anything to suggest he has a weak chin either.

"Kessler's chin has never been tested to begin with, so I can't possibly have the opinion that his chin is good."

"but there's no results or any video out there where I've seen the guy get hit with a clean shot on the chin and walk through it. Whether or not his movement is deliberate, I can't tell yet."

Uh......which is why I'm saying there's nothing to suggest he has a bad chin. Show me the footage that shows him getting dropped and staggered from guys with weak ko records, and we can come to that conclusion. People are way too quick to throw out the "glass chin" label these days.

Great news from fightnews.com:

DKP's Juan Gonzalez reports the following regarding fallen warrior Victor Burgos's condition: Burgos was moved out of the Intensive Care Unit to a regular room last Thursday at Los Angeles County Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance, Calif. A tube in his throat had been removed earlier, but residual soreness still makes it difficult for him to speak above a whisper. Victor has been recognizing friends and family members that come to visit. He was also visited by two of his children for the first time on Monday.

That's the only thing that could get me to watch any part of that shit show. I refuse to watch Taylor-Spinks without already knowing the result.

FSN will be showing the recent Duddy-Bonsante fight tonight. It looks like it will run 2 hours so some of the undercard may be aired as well.

Also, Espn2 is showing the classic Boom Boom Mancini-Livingstone Bramble fight tonight.

Josh Clottey beat the shit out of Diego Corrales tonight. Honestly, I need to watch this fight again before saying anything more than that. I'm talking Clottey beat his fucking ass. Diego said he's not retiring, and that he might go down to 140. He needs to retire NOW.

If Diego retires NOW his "legacy" should be fine, but the man's time has seriously passed. Of course, he did move up in weight to take the fight.

I don't think that Corrales could beat anyone in the Boxrec top 10 from 140 to 147. He's worse off than Gatti, honestly.

The summer season of Wed Night Fights starts up tomorrow night. Main event will be a decent middleweight matchup of Raymond Joval and Willie Gibbs.

Pacquiao won by KO, and Arce lost in his title shot. I can't really describe what happened late in the fight, Manny just started throwing all kinds of punches and Solis went down, got up and then went down again.

Viloria lost too, the guy doesn't have the heart to fight. He should just quit.

Manny was mad about the low punches to his hips and the accidental clash of heads which cause the cut around his eye so he went crazy and started to throw insane power punches to win the fight quickly in the 8th round. Oh as for Arce well when you throw more punches than your opponent but connect at 19% rate you deserve to lose if he won 2 rounds he was lucky. Chavez Jr. looked good in his fight and during the post fight interview he said that he wants to stay in the weight class 2 more years before moving up and expect to be champion very soon.

Good to see Wlad/Brewster II is on. This should answer some questions about Wlad's confidence and improving skill, and Brewster is always durable and dangerous.

It also seems that Pete/Oleg is finally going to happen with Vitali apparently dropping out now, while Sultan/Briggs at the very least can hopefully inch us closer to a unifcation bout. This should be a pretty interesting summer for Heavyweight boxing.

The Smith-Davis fight last night was terrific. Espn2's boxing run so far has been its best in years. Next Wed will have former lightheavyweight champs (and Roy Jones Jr conquerers) Montell Griffin & Glen Johnson, Friday's main event will be Zahir Raheem vs. Cristobal Cruz.

Pavlik is fighting Edison Miranda in what should be a thrilling slugfest. I doubt I'll still be awake by the end of the Taylor-Spinks snoozer, though.

The Taylor-Spinks fight looks boring on paper, but I'll bet that we get a good ending out of it. Hopefully Taylor knocks him out.