TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

Yes. I want it to be prolonged though, about 8 rounds of Vitali getting his face smashed in would be real nice.

Alfredo Angulo nearly killed Andrey Tsurkan last night. Beat his ass for nearly the full 10, should've been stopped around the fifth round. Angulo vs. Kirkland would be fantastic.

So is anyone else hoping that Samuel Peter smashes in Vitali's face in on Saturday?

Fuck no. I hope Vitali harpoons Peter; who seems content with eating himself into oblivion. If Vitali isn't completely covered in rust and crippled by injuries, he should win pretty soundly. Why would anyone root for Peter, the guy is a disgrace. The ideal situation would see Vitali come back with a bang by beating Peter before going on to lose to someone class like Gomez, who can than fight Wlad for a unification. Gomez would actually stand a good chance against Wlad, while the increasingly overweight Peter would probably get blasted away by Wlad in a rematch.

I'm not rooting for Peter as much as I'm rooting against Vitali. I would've been just as content had Rahman smashed him in anyof the cancelled bouts.

And an excellent performance from Vitali, becoming the first to stop Peter. Four years and piles of injuries and he still looked sharp and deceptively quick; really pouring it on strong in the last few rounds after he shook the rust off. Peter showed great durability for being in such bad shape, staying on his feet while taking a beating but he was simply outclassed. Hopefully, Vitali has a few more fights in him, its good to have him back.

Vitali actually looked more technically sound then I have seen him be in quite some time. He basically pounded on Peter for 8 rounds, and Peter just gave up on his stool.

It was quite the impressive performance.

So the only question now is......what's it gonna take to get the brothers to fight each other?

I apologize for giving you the outcome so late but here its is!

Hopkins by split decision.

I think Hopkins will be able to utilize the same clinch and stall tactics that he utilized against Calzaghe to greater effect in this fight. Pavlik in his big wins fought guys wth poor defense who were looking for that one punch KO, this time he will be fighting someone with little ouput and a who is a natural counterpuncher.

Maybe Calzaghe deserves more credit for moving up in weight to only get a SD win over such an ancient shot fighter? Can't tell you how many times I read that on other forums. Nevermind Hopkins has evolved wtih age into a tough, troubling defensive fighter Jersey Joe Walcott style.

Haven't seen the fight yet but it sounds like Hopkins experience was just too much for the talented but crude Pavlik. I also read Pavlik was looking winded far too early, stupid move if he took the fight lightly as seems to have been implied by much of the hype and interviews.

"Don't let this fight destroy you," Hopkins told him. "You're a great middleweight champion. You have a great heart. Keep your head up. Keep fighting. You have to learn one thing. You have to learn that slickness that black fighters have and then you'll really be a great champion. I don't want you to quit. If I have to go to your house and take you to the gym, I will."

I don't like to make excuses, but to me, it looked like Pavlik was carrying too much weight. He didn't look so great when he fought Taylor a second time, and he looked like shit tonight. He needs to stay at 160 and not foray into higher weights. He wouldn't have beaten Bernard in any case, but he couldn't get off last night, and he wasn't able to walk Bernard down either. So yeah, carrying too much weight.

"Don't let this fight destroy you," Hopkins told him. "You're a great middleweight champion. You have a great heart. Keep your head up. Keep fighting. You have to learn one thing. You have to learn that slickness that black fighters have and then you'll really be a great champion. I don't want you to quit. If I have to go to your house and take you to the gym, I will."

And just when Hopkins pulls out an impressive victory that would win him my respect. Nevermind Pavlik has knocked out his fair share of black fighters. Race has nothing to do with slickness, decades of experience does though. The youthful green Hopkins that Roy Jones took apart wasn't a slick fighter either. Fucking outrageous thing to say. I wander what would happen if after Pavlik beat Taylor he said "don't quit you need to learn the mental toughness of white fighters."

Pavlik did look very lethargic in the Taylor rematch, but he still had a high workrate. I'm not sure that was the little extra weight or just overconfidence which could have also been a factor here; he hasn't really looked hungry since the first Taylor match and I wander if that has effected his training. I was shocked to see he only got off 400 punches this time, looked winded, and was completely outworked by Hopkins. What sucks is he'll probably never get another chance against Hopkins or even Calzaghe now, hopefully he can at least rebound at middleweight.

No Pavlik or rematch with Hopkins, says Joe.

Unbeaten light heavyweight star Joe Calzaghe has ruled out a rematch with Bernard Hopkins, who upset Kelly Pavlik over the weekend. "Jones Jr will the last fight for me, definitely - that's it, me done," Calzaghe told the BBC. "Screw Hopkins, I'm not fighting again for any amount of money, I've been doing this for too long." He added, "Hopkins beating Pavlik is great for me because people will stop banging on about me fighting Pavlik.....I can retire with a clear conscience knowing that I've beaten everyone who's worth beating."

-fightnews.com

That's probably for the best. Their first fight was a horrific style clash and split decision or not Hopkins best chance at beating Joe came and went when he surprised him in the first round; that probably wouldn't happen again. He just doesn't have an answer for Joe's "slick defense" and handspeed. I don't think anyone wants to see Hopkins running from Joe's jabs, clinching, fouling, and crying for 11 rounds or more again.

Sucks for Pavlik though, what a difference a year makes.

Despite losing almost every round to Lucian Bute, Librado Andrade still managed to get screwed in his IBF Super Middleweight title shot. Andrade managed to blast a completely gassed and hurt Bute with seconds to go in the fight, only to be screwed out of a win as the referee hounded him over the fact that he was not deep enough into a neutral corner, and resumed his count on Bute... 14 seconds after the knockdown.

Aside from liking Andrade, it would've been awesome to see the Romanian mob in the crown go absolute apeshit. SO fucking dissapointed and angry right now.