TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

I saw a really sloppy fight and was wondering these two guys are top prospects? because that's what I assumed Friday Night Fights was about, but it turned out that one of them was 9-11 and he won, so I guess they have over the hill journeymen too. Sloppy, but still really fun because the short guy just kept throwing haymakers until Woods couldn't take it anymore. He didn't seem to use his reach at all.

Also, Jones vs. Tito? What the fuck? All the weight changes for Roy can't be good for his speed and reflexes, which at 38 years already has eroded naturally. A catchweight of 170 seems a bit odd also. Still, RJJ was consensus top P4P boxer for years and since he's the bigger fighter here, I guess I'd have to take him since his rust will be offset by Tito's even longer time away from the ring.

I think Tito will knock him out. Roy's so worn out, the speed and reflexes are barely evident anymore. Trinidad will still have the power and he won't have to deal with anything close to the speed that so befuddled him with Winky Wright.

ESPN Classic showed the Tex Cobb-Earnie Shavers fight tonight. Even though he won the fight, I'm stunned that Cobb didn't end up retarded.

Yes. I thought he was dead for a couple seconds. Joe Tessitore's hyperbole was appropriate for that. Pascal vs. Miranda should be a lot of fun; Miranda will probably flatten him around the 8th round.

Allan Green turned in a really good performance in the studio. The guy will be able to sell a few payperviews if he ends up reaching that level.

Pretty good night of free boxing. Joe Frazier marathon tomorrow on Classic.

Roy by ugly UD. Tito can't hang at that weight. The undercard is ass, so I don't see any reason to order the fight, but I'll still watch it. This is like a higher profile Vargas-Mayorga.

Guest Warriorfan

I pick Jones by 8th RD TKO. They replayed Jones last 2 fights and he seems to have enough speed and defense to handle Tito who is way out of his weight class. I think Tito should be inspired by the crowd at MSG so I expect him to do more than collect the check.

I read on fightnews that Oscar wants to fight a tune-up fight on May 3rd. If he does, it'll be on HBO.

I also read that Hopkins-Calzaghe will probably be on HBO too.

Maybe Oscar will fight Paulie Malinaggi in May.

I don't get how that would serve Oscar, poor Paulie could barely keep up with Herman Ngoudjo (despite getting a baffling UD over him), and Ngoudjo ain't that good either.

Pavlik cruised this time while Taylor looked like he just wanted to finish the fight on his feet; though he looked like a goner in the last few rounds. Apparently, Pavlik's people is rumored to be in talks with Trinidad of all fighters....guess he's looking for an easy showcase or something. Hopefully, that doesn't go through.

I'd rather something like that not happen, but if he really wants a showcase against a big-name guy, he should get in contact with Roy Jones. But Trinidad, hell no.

I didnt see it but it sounds like Nicolai Valuev absolutely destroyed Sergey Liakhovich yesterday.

I dont want to see Pavlik massacre Tito.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

How about Pavlik moving up a bit in weight to fight Calzaghe? That'd be a good time for everybody.

This was one of the most boring fights I've ever seen in my life. The first 2 rounds all I could think about was the story in Sgt. Bilko about how he ended up bribing both fighters and no one threw a punch for the first 4 rounds.

A real minimal effort from Wlad, just doing enough to get by and walk away with an effortless win. Both looked very quick when they did throw and Sultan took a few good shots I didn't think he could stand up to but what a stinker. The sad thing is that Wlad looked like he could land when he wanted to. Wins like this will probably hurt his publicity more than any of his past losses; will he still be able to draw big at the Gardens now? It looked like the crowd got royally pissed off at this farce.

Pavlik/Duddy is off. Probably for the best, Duddy certainly didn't look like any kind of legit challenger last night.

Guest Warriorfan

FIGHT. OF. THE. YEAR.

Marquez vs Vasquez was incredible! With the exception of a few clinches late it was non-stop action. In the 4th and 7th RD's it looked as though Marquez would stop Vazquez and then all of a sudden Vazquez started turning it on. The last RD was reminiscent of Taylor vs Chavez with Marquez in the role of Taylor trying to hold on for the win.

Trilogies are never ruined with a 4th fight but this matchup deserves it,