TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

Pretty clear that the hype strategy for this fight is working."C'MON MY BOY!" "MASH HIS GUTS" "WALLOP HIM SILLY" "WHOOP THAT MINCER" All these Brits that don't know what they're talking about are coming out of the woodwork to talk about this fight, and just keep talking about this "feeling" they have that Floyd will get KO'ed, ignoring all the facts. Well, I don't have a feeling, but I have logic and facts that point to Floyd outclassing Hatton.

This fight will make a lot of people a lot of money, as the nationalistic pride is being used for all it's worth.

If your directing this towards me and my "feeling," I'm not sure what your problem is.

Anyways, Floyd did a great job shutting down Hatton's inside fight. Hatton looked to be controlling early but faded as fatigue set in which I didn't expect to happen.

Pretty clear that the hype strategy for this fight is working."C'MON MY BOY!" "MASH HIS GUTS" "WALLOP HIM SILLY" "WHOOP THAT MINCER" All these Brits that don't know what they're talking about are coming out of the woodwork to talk about this fight, and just keep talking about this "feeling" they have that Floyd will get KO'ed, ignoring all the facts. Well, I don't have a feeling, but I have logic and facts that point to Floyd outclassing Hatton.

This fight will make a lot of people a lot of money, as the nationalistic pride is being used for all it's worth.

If your directing this towards me and my "feeling," I'm not sure what your problem is.

Anyways, Floyd did a great job shutting down Hatton's inside fight. Hatton looked to be controlling early but faded as fatigue set in which I didn't expect to happen.

Not you necessarily, but all the Brits that came out of the woodwork to pick Hatton despite never seeing him fight, solely on the basis that they share the same birthplace.

Won a lot of money tonight, from friends that came over. Thanks HBO for your hype job.

Also, USA, USA!

This is the only fight in MMA or boxing where I was confident to place my first-ever bet on, but I didn't. I regret this significantly. Still, Hatton battering-ramming the turnbuckle pad WAS classic.

Also, I forgot to say that Hatton should shut the fuck up for the rest of his life. He blabbed his mouth until Floyd took the fight, and got creamed. That's just embarassing. He actually made Floyd look like a heavy hitter. Only Gatti and Corrales were able to do that before. No, those victories over shitty Sharmba Mitchell and Phillip Ndou don't count.

Guest Warriorfan

Hatton was annihilated!!! HBO pulled off the greatest White hype job since Cooney vs Holmes.

Now back to the other conversation. I would really like to see Floyd take on Mosley in his next fight. While Cotto is the champ; I don't see that fight happening since the risk/benefit ratio is so dramatically off.

As always De La Hoya can step in and make a mega-fight rematch; but I think we will get Mayweather vs Mosley in 2008.

Well, I'm going to add my two cents to this one, I've watched boxing now for about 14 years, and I was very proud of Hatton last night, lets not forget, he actually moved up a weight to take this fight, I think he performed very well, I just think that hes a guy that can take punches but he shouldnt have left himself so open because we all know Mayweathers punching power is good(forget all the bullshit about soft hands, the guy can punch), I think the ref ruined the fight in the first six rounds or so, especially for the points deduction. I personally would love to see a rematch, but it held in England, I honestly think they could hold the fight in Wembley Stadium and pack 70,000+ in there, it was incredible how many people knew about the fight in the UK and were following it, I havent seen this much interest in a fight(in the UK) since maybe Lewis v Tyson, they should have a rematch back in England.

Well, I'm going to add my two cents to this one, I've watched boxing now for about 14 years, and I was very proud of Hatton last night, lets not forget, he actually moved up a weight to take this fight, I think he performed very well, I just think that hes a guy that can take punches but he shouldnt have left himself so open because we all know Mayweathers punching power is good(forget all the bullshit about soft hands, the guy can punch), I think the ref ruined the fight in the first six rounds or so, especially for the points deduction. I personally would love to see a rematch, but it held in England, I honestly think they could hold the fight in Wembley Stadium and pack 70,000+ in there, it was incredible how many people knew about the fight in the UK and were following it, I havent seen this much interest in a fight(in the UK) since maybe Lewis v Tyson, they should have a rematch back in England.

Who have we had to support in the last 5-10 years since Lewis retired?

Olympic Joke Audley Harrison?

Speed Racer Prince Nassem?

There were talks of him retiring at 30, and his last match being at Wembley as a send off.

My biggest gripe with the fight, and what makes me happy the fight ended in a KO:

At the end of the 6th round, after Hatton had already lost a point for hitting in the back of the head,Mayweather not only hit Hatton with two straight punches to the back of Hatton's head but held Hatton's arm while doing it without so much as a warning. This is after six rounds of Cortez stepping in pretty much anytime Hatton got more than about two punches in.

Cortez is normally a pretty good referee, but the first six rounds was so horribly officiated it was ridiculous.

Out of curiosity, how had you guys scored the fight through nine rounds? I had it even (I followed Lederman's card with the exception of round two, which I had as close but slightly in Hatton's favor) and want to know if the TV watching fan had anything resembling the official cards.

Cortez did a great job. He didn't let Hatton turn this into a WWE wrestling match, let he usually tends to do when he fights in England. HBO and Harold Lederman are fucking jokes, Mayweather was clearly winning the fight even before the KO. He was landing the cleaner and clearer shots. Hatton barely landed at all, he just tried to grapple and push Mayweather against the ropes and it didn't work. I gave Hatton only one round, like the judges.

Although I would love to see Mayweather fight Cotto, if he retires then good for him. He's had an amazing career, and doesn't need to prove anything more to anyone. He's beat the best, and has remained undefeated. People hate on him because of his on screen persona(which he uses to hype up his fight to superfight status), and his fighting style, but they need to appreciate. He's the best in the world.

"Not you necessarily, but all the Brits that came out of the woodwork to pick Hatton despite never seeing him fight, solely on the basis that they share the same birthplace."

Well, I'm an Amercian without any British Isle ancestory. From what I gather from the boxing forums I frequent and people I know, plenty of Americans were rooting for Hatton and picked him with their "hearts." I think most anybody who's followed boxing to some degree knew the easy money was on Floyd and that he was the clear cut favorite, but there's nothing wrong with anybody picking the upset in this instance. Last time I went against Hatton, he pulled off the big upset on Tszyu whom was not only a favorite of mine but the guy that all logic pointed to. Don't be so hasty when it comes to generalizations. And there is nothing wrong with people rooting for a coutryman and wanting to believe he can win.

Hatton did very well last night and gave Floyd some problems in the early going; he just couldn't keep it up and lost to a guy that will most likely be viewed as an ATG.

Hatton did very well last night

He only won one round, on my scorecards. Harold Lederman is a crackhead.

You know, I didn't score rounds last night and I didn't see Lederman's card as I watched some sort of European broadcast online. Sometimes Lederman's card is a joke, sometimes I find myself scoring the same thing. Eh.... I didn't see a near shutout like your impling and several rounds looked like they could go either way, an ugly fight like most anticipated. I thought Hatton was controlling the early rounds but yeah, I got the impression Floyd was in control and winning the fight before the knockout. Like I said above, Hatton faded.

Hatton did very well last night

He only won one round, on my scorecards. Harold Lederman is a crackhead.

You know, I didn't score rounds last night and I didn't see Lederman's card as I watched some sort of European broadcast online. Sometimes Lederman's card is a joke, sometimes I find myself scoring the same thing. Eh.... I didn't see a near shutout like your impling and several rounds looked like they could go either way, an ugly fight like most anticipated. I thought Hatton was controlling the early rounds but yeah, I got the impression Floyd was in control and winning the fight before the knockout. Like I said above, Hatton faded.

2/3 of the judges scored it the same as I did. Hatton barely landed any punches at all, the only thing he did was try to muscle Floyd against the ropes. You don't score points by doing that. Floyd was landing the cleaner, and better punches the whole fight. The only round I gave to Hatton was the 5th, I believe.

Guest stringerbell
Mayweather destroyed hatton.

I was laughin my ass off when hatton dove head first takin on that ring post.

Classic.

7y3bvuv.gif

"2/3 of the judges scored it the same as I did. Hatton barely landed any punches at all, the only thing he did was try to muscle Floyd against the ropes. You don't score points by doing that. Floyd was landing the cleaner, and better punches the whole fight. The only round I gave to Hatton was the 5th, I believe."

Neither guy was really landing that much clean, Hatton was smothering Floyd, and Floyd was not letting him get off that much on the inside. I remember thinking this was Hatton's fight, he was very busy and he was landing a bit more than I think your giving him credit for, it wasn't until the round of the point reduction...that Floyd starting turning this around as I recall(6 was it?). I'm not sure Floyd lost a round after that. Checking ESPN's round by round, they seem to have it the same way.

Neither guy was really landing that much clean, Hatton was smothering Floyd, and Floyd was not letting him get off that much on the inside. I remember thinking this was Hatton's fight, he was very busy and he was landing a bit more than I think your giving him credit for, it wasn't until the round of the point reduction...that Floyd starting turning this around as I recall(6 was it?). I'm not sure Floyd lost a round after that. Checking ESPN's round by round, they seem to have it the same way.

Who cares what ESPN or HBO scored the fight. They hate Floyd and love Hatton, it was apparent of that during the build up to the fight. Look at the CompuBox records for fuck sakes. Hatton punches for the most part were getting blocked by Floyd's glove. I understand if a n00b that hasn't watched boxing before thinks that Hatton was actually landing, but he wasn't. Floyd's punches were clean and better. Almost everytime he hit Hatton, his head would snap back.

"Who cares what ESPN or HBO scored the fight. They hate Floyd and love Hatton, it was apparent of that during the build up to the fight. Look at the CompuBox records for fuck sakes. Hatton punches for the most part were getting blocked by Floyd's glove. I understand if a n00b that hasn't watched boxing before thinks that Hatton was actually landing, but he wasn't. Floyd's punches were clean and better. Almost everytime he hit Hatton, his head would snap back."

The impression I got from watching the fight last night was that Hatton had some early success in smothering Floyd and pushing the action, and I'm sure you would agree, Floyd really turned things up during the 6th and turned it into his fight rather you feel he was already winning and controlling the fight or not. And I don't care if Hatton got out pointed in every round, I thought he fought well and did what he could against an ATG as you cut and quoted out of context just to be a dick and look for an argument I'd assume. BTW,the usually unbiased Boxing News 24 Hours seems to confirm both our viewpoints of the fight. Your "WWE wrestling" remark also leads me to believe your a bit biased yourself, both Hatton and Mayweather are dirty inside fighters and both delivered tonight.

As far as the head snap back thing, this is because Hatton got caught at his worst while charging in. Floyd was getting caught while he was on the ropes or fading back.

Compubox numbers are bullshit.

I forget what round it was (the fourth I think?) where Compubox numbers only had six punches landed for Hatton when he had landed a four punch body combo with about 45 seconds to go in the round. No way did Hatton only land two more punches in that round. Don't get me wrong, Mayweather clearly won that round, but no way were the numbers accurate.

Cortez did a great job. He didn't let Hatton turn this into a WWE wrestling match, let he usually tends to do when he fights in England.

Don't kid yourself. Mayweather did as much holding as Hatton did last night, and in fact threw an awful lot of forearms while in clinches.

I will say Mayweather gained something in my eyes when he tried to put Hatton over after the fight and Merchant kept trying to deflect PBF's praise of Hatton into calling him out for not fighting Cotto, and I lost some respect for Hatton with all his "but he kept fouling me".

"Compubox numbers are bullshit."

Agreed. See the second Holyfield/Lewis fight where most of Lewis' jabs were deflected by Holyfield's open glove and counted anyway. Never the most accurate way to guage a fight.

"I will say Mayweather gained something in my eyes when he tried to put Hatton over after the fight and Merchant kept trying to deflect PBF's praise of Hatton into calling him out for not fighting Cotto, and I lost some respect for Hatton with all his "but he kept fouling me"."

Yeah, Hatton said if he lost he wouldn't make any excuses after the fight....

Hatton also claims he only got caught with the knockout punch because of a slip, yeah after throwing an ugly ass haymaker.

"As far as my own career, Ricky "Fatton" will be back."

-Hatton at the press conference, from fightnews.com.

It was a good press conference, to the extent that there can be such a thing.