TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest KCC

Kurt Angle released!

Guest NateW

I think it's pretty lame if he's saving stuff for his newsletter. I understand the need to save stories for the newsletter to make money. Yet, there are some stories like this one that are so big there should be some exceptions. Several fans want to know what's going.

I think it's pretty if he's saving stuff for his newsletter. I understand the need to save stories for the newsletter to make money. Yet, there are some stories like this one that are so big there should be some exceptions. Several fans want to know what's going.

Plus, the PWtorch and insider might beat him to it... but obviously he knows more than he's letting own.

My assumption (and that's all it is) is that all Angle's month off (reportedly for a Wellness violation) did was add more fuel to the fire. He came back, was still taking pills, still working through multiple injurys, nothing had changed, and the WWE finally had to give him an ultimatum: let us help you, we send you to rehab until you clean yourself up or we agree to part ways until you can come back to us in reasonable shape. Angle, dependant on painkillers for years and too damn proud/stubborn to go to rehab, chose the latter option. I think Vince has probably known in the back of his mind it would come to this for some time, and I think the month off was more of a "throw something at the wall" action. I think everyone involved knew it would take more than a month long break for Angle to get himself straightened out.

I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than that, but if I had to guess on a basic chain of events that would be it. Hopefully Angle really does take this as a wakeup call and realizes that something has to change.

The sad thing is, I don't really see any way Angle can come back. Without painkillers the man will be in agony, wrestling or not. Any doctor in the world would take one look at his laundry list of injuries and have no reservations prescribing him something. And if he can't live a normal life, much less wrestle, without drugs, then the chances of him coming back clean are nil.

Or maybe he's waiting to confirm what he's been told already.

I guess. I heard something about having to hear it from three sources at least before he put it up.

On another note: Maybe, Im being too negative here but perhaps WWE want to get rid of Kurt before tragedy strikes and blood is on their hands. Let's face it: a highly respected, former Olympic gold medallist joining pro wrestling and then dying some drug related death makes them look really bad and the press would have a field day with it. Not that I'm saying it's the only reason, but it must be a factor.

Or maybe he's waiting to confirm what he's been told already.

I guess. I heard something about having to hear it from three sources at least before he put it up.

On another note: Maybe, Im being too negative here but perhaps WWE want to get rid of Kurt before tragedy strikes and blood is on there hands. Let's face it: a highly respected, former Olympic gold medallist joining pro wrestling and then dying some drug related death makes them look really bad and the press would have a field day with it. Not that I'm saying it's the only reason, but it must be a factor.

Maybe, but if god forbid something tragic happens to Angle the figurative blood is still going to be on the WWE's hands. The WWE will say, "hey, we saw that he had a problem, and we tried to help the guy..." but anyone who can put 2 and 2 together will see that their actions were too little too late. The WWE can't distance itself from his fate at this point. They might be able to soften the bad PR blow with their current actions, but an Olympic gold medalist become a tragedy as a direct result of working for Vince McMahon will bring a maelstrom of bad press. ESPN would cover it. Sports Illustrated would cover. Major newspapers would write about it. Amazingly the mainstream media barely touched the negative aspects of the Guerrero story. I don't think they'd let Angle's story pass.

But hopefully it never comes to that.

This is the best thing possible for both ends of the agreement. That being said, it is far from being the solution for all the issues and troubles that plague Kurt Angle and the WWE. This is all cumulative and it isn’t anything more then damage control on the behalf of WWE. They’d like to believe that they have a heart and want to save Kurt Angle, which is true to an extent.

It is standard practice for the WWE to put their talent into rehab if possible and if such action is refused, this act is the consequence of their decision. It isn’t a sudden realization for the WWE to see that Angle is an addict in many forms all directly linked beyond just his professional career. This is an issue that many people consistently overlook in great fashion. This drive wasn’t implemented into Kurt Angle when he signed with the WWF almost 8 years ago. You need to consider the fact that Kurt Angle has always been obsessed with his own proverbial wall and how much he is willing to shatter it just to continuously over exert himself. Point in case, his two biggest professional triumphs (Atlanta 1996 and WMXIX) were both off the charts in their courageousness and questionable stupidity.

Kurt Angle drove himself to this and to pinpoint all blame on WWE would be rash. WWE, to their credit have attempted to curtail Angle’s drive but they are slightly at fault for waiting until it might have been too late. Angle is an utter mess; you don’t need to follow all the constant reports that indicate this. It’s evident in the physical transformation of Kurt Angle’s body, and if you look closely, even his mental stability.

Kurt Angle contributed his daughter’s birth to opening his eyes but it’s obvious that the determination that motivates Angle to beyond his limitations has a much further scope then he is willing to confess. He continued on despite the threat of divorce and losing his daughter on account of his persistent desire to be, in his mind, the best.

The last two years we have witnessed the deterioration of a once spectacular athlete, I stress that, athlete. Kurt Angle was once a natural, gifted athlete who was in effect almost special. That hardly exist within the shell of what he is right now.

WWE really had other no option by releasing Kurt. Certainly, suspending him could have done something but it wouldn’t send as direct a message as this outward release has. It is hopeful that Kurt Angle takes this as a sign of opportunity. Angle has always been mentally unbalanced. I don’t know if this really solves anything, for either side. It’s still up to Angle to self-correct himself and it’ll probably require more then just losing his job to straighten himself out. He has issues that date back beyond his tenure with the WWE.

WWE hasn’t ridden themselves of the guilt and blame that is to befall them, if the worse that we all fear is to occur. Years of turning a blind eye and suddenly handing him a suspension and a subsequent release isn’t going to absolve their actions. They will be put in heavy scrutiny. They took a slight beating after Eddie’s death but should something unfortunate happen to Kurt…The negative impact could be vicious perhaps more damaging then Owen’s death. It would be observed by the media and mainstream that a worked sport historically known for steroids and being a carnival act drove a once prominent American Olympic athlete into ruin and his eventful death. This is a situation that WWE fears beyond pretty much anything else.

This is first step for each side but it’s hardly the conclusion. It’s the beginning, but of what? Recovery or absolute tragedy?

Couldn't have said it better.

I havn't checked out any wrestling news in a couple of days and know I'm just blown away. I'm a huge Angle fan, but I never want to see him in the ring again. If he cleans himself up, I hope WWE gives him a job as an announcer or agent because I don't know what he can do outside of pro wrestling at this point.

The guy has entertained me to death over the years at the expense of everything else he holds dear. It's not any fan's fault in the least, but at least for me, I feel really fucked up, like I helped fuel it. I admired his passion for the buisness so much, and his passion has cost him so much and I can still see it costing him his life.

I really hope Kurt gets better. As much as I LOVE watching him wrestle, it would better for him not to even contemplate coming back. He should concentrate fully on his body's well-being, as well as spending time with his family. Personal health really is a precious thing.

Kurt has produced many great matches in his career, the most recent example being his match against RVD on ECW. I really hope Angle's departure leads to a DVD of his greatest matches.

Guest DRH 502
If you look at Angle's past, especially if you read his book and see how he trained for the Olympics(I found it in my library network) this guy won't let anything get in his way he gave up on his outside life to train, and of course as he oh so famously said, he won his gold medal with a "broken frickin' neck." I could see TNA signing him, but I really, really hope he stays home or goes to rehab and gets himself fixed up. There is nothing he can do in WWE that is so significant that it's even remotely worth his health. Despite the oddness of the Anklelock in his moveset, he is certainly one of the best wrestlers to come down the pike in recent WWE history. I'd like to see him come back, but as they say in MMA, the health of the fighters is the most important thing, and well...he went from

09.jpg

to

81.jpg

he's more muscular....but in a way he looks like he's wasting away

Ummm...lets see. In the top pic he looks fuller in the face (a good sign he was taking a ridiculous amount of steroids) in the bottom, he just looks like a dude whos age is catching up to him...who is no longer on steroids. Yeah the atrophy in his arms is bad (it was a hell of alot worse at one point last year) but he seriously just looks like a dude who isn't on the gas now. Wasting away? He looks his age. You want to see wasting away? Go look at Paul Orndorffs arm.

Just looking at heyimbro's signature makes me wonder what would have happened if Eddie was still there. Report indicated that he was always the go to guy to talk to if you had a problem.

For those that have heard the stories, I can confirm that WWE made some requests to Kurt Angle regarding how to handle his issues and he refused, thus the firing. This is your standard firing, meaning he likely has a 90-day no compete and then can go wherever he wants, including TNA or Japan. We will have a TON of news on this situation in the new issue of Figure Four that will come out Tuesday. There is way more than meets the eye in all the WWE.com stories from the past few days

f4w update

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me... Someone terminates your contract, then tells you that you can't work for anyone for 90 days? It makes more sense for it to be optional for a wrestler to take an extra 90 days pay or to work for someone else.

Usually the 90-days no-compete clause is a standard thing included in every WWE wrestler's contract: I don't know the exact wording, but it boils down to "if you ever quit or get fired, you can't work for another wrestling promotion for 90 days". I think they do get some sort of payment for that period.

Really, while this should be a good thing for Angle, I don't think he's going to go down that route to self rebuilding.

The second that Angle is available, the Japanese promotions are going to come calling. New Japan and NOAH both have interest in using Angle. Angle is considered by the Japanese to be one of the best American workers alive, and due to his credentials is a big name over there. If NJPW doesn't get Angle for a few shows I'll be shocked. NOAH would be suicide due to the fact that Angle would end up fighting the big dogs. Granted, Angle versus Kobashi or Misawa is a dream match...but I dunno if Angle would WALK away. Plus the sheer idea of Angle without any restrictions on what he does is absolutely frieghtening.

The other thing, is TNA is going to throw money at Angle. Yeah, "Not the top promotion", or "Angle wants to work for the best", the fact is WWE won't take him back until he proves he's clean. TNA, sadly, won't have such a problem. They'll offer Angle a big deal, for a small schedule, and he'll likely accept. It'd be a gigantic pick up for TNA since Angle was still featured heavily when he was last seen. Only problem would be that I doubt Angle would attack WWE like Christian did. Nonetheless, it's still a major deal if Angle just appears out of tghe blue on an Impact. Ratings could spike to see him.

I seriously think even TNA would have doubts about signing Kurt Angle in his present state. Aside from the obvious moral reasons, think of all the bad publicy they would get if Kurt died on their watch.

Angle would be committing further suicide if he worked NOAH or ROH. He simply couldn't handle that. I believe he is to loyal to work for TNA because he'll want to return to WWE and he knows working for TNA wouldn't do him any favors.

All promotions would be smart to avoid signing him anyways because of the obvious reasons.

Anything can be reasoned if you apply logic to it. Espcially in the dirty ass world of wrestling.

TNA can look at it thusly: Smaller schedule, means more downtime for Angle, which means he'll have more time to get his life in order and get his family back. While they conviently ignore that the man needs months away from the business altogether to fully recover.

Plus, I'm sure they could think something like "Sting's a good man, and highly respected. If anyone can help Angle get off his problems, it'll be Sting!"

Just sayin, ya know.

Guest DRH 502
Angle would be committing further suicide if he worked NOAH or ROH. He simply couldn't handle that.

Okay, NOAH i'll let slide, but how do you figure a dude who was working at least 4 days a week pretty much every week for the last 7 years couldn't handle the 2 days a month ROH holds show?

Angle would be committing further suicide if he worked NOAH or ROH. He simply couldn't handle that.

Okay, NOAH i'll let slide, but how do you figure a dude who was working at least 4 days a week pretty much every week for the last 7 years couldn't handle the 2 days a month ROH holds show?

First off, ROH works 4-6 shows a month. The reason he wouldn't survive is because Angle doesn't have the "turn off" switch intact within him and if he does a booking with ROH, he'll be working the obvious talents like Danielson, KENTA, Aries, Richards, Strong and Joe if politics don't interfere.

Angle is always driven by people like Benoit and will over exert himself and that would be the case with those aforementioned names. Consider that Angle will easily buy into the hype that comes with those talents and see it as an opportunity to go beyond what he was used to in WWE.

In WWE, they managed to rescrict him but in a ROH/NOAH environment...such rescrictions would be thrown out the door for Angle.

Look at examples like James Gibson who was considered a wrestling top talent in WWE and had trouble adapting to the ROH style after years of working within the WWE system.

He shouldn't be wrestling at all

The only person to blame for Kurt Angle's current state is Kurt Angle. WWE never did anything to him. The only thing WWE is guilty of here is desperately trying to slow him down since late-2003 without cutting off his paycheck. Angle couldn't/wouldn't take the steps needed, so now not only does he have a destroyed body that will be lucky to still operate by age 45, he's got no stream of income to support his wife and daughter.

This is the same guy who caused permanent damage to himself while continuing to compete in the 1996 Olympics despite a badly injured neck.

I don't buy any of this "mutual agreement" bunk. Kurt Angle was shitcanned. Shitcanned for his own good.

PWInsider said that when he was going for the gold in the Olympics, he had a doctor with him at all times to be able to shoot him up with some sort of painkiller before every match just so he could make it through without letting the pain get to him. This has been his nature for years, it's nothing new.

It's just getting worse and worse as the years go by.

Let's not forget that this is the same guy who talked about going for Olympic gold once again in his book. I have no reason to believe that this will be a good thing for Kurt Angle. It was good that WWE did it though, and it's all that they can do right now. He was told to get help, and he refused, so we know where he stands on all of this. I'll actually be shocked if I don't see him pop up somewhere else now that WWE let him go. It's who he is to find somewhere to go to keep doing what he only seemingly wants to do, wrestle.