TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest KCC

Kurt Angle released!

--There is an AP story on Kurt Angle, which is him going public with the story that he asked to leave after suffering injuries on 8/13 because he no longer wants to take pain medication to continue to wrestle. It's the public story for him to save face in case other media investigates further and finds out he was actually let go, as opposed to him making the call to leave. This will likely be in many newspapers in the morning.

Someone should point the AP to the truth, and then watch the fun.

--There is an AP story on Kurt Angle, which is him going public with the story that he asked to leave after suffering injuries on 8/13 because he no longer wants to take pain medication to continue to wrestle. It's the public story for him to save face in case other media investigates further and finds out he was actually let go, as opposed to him making the call to leave. This will likely be in many newspapers in the morning.

Someone should point the AP to the truth, and then watch the fun.

The AP really doesn't care about a story that'll get stuffed in the back of most sports pages. The mainstream will believe that Kurt was ruined by steroid abuse he is forced into and continue to buy the perception (though, accurate) that McMahon is a glorified carny act. They don't get the intricate details of why Kurt was let go and nor do they really care. All they know is that a legitimate athelete was ruined by Vince McMahon's fake carnival.

For me:

Favorite matches

Vs. Guerrero (Wrestlemania 20)

Vs. Rock (No Mercy 2000 / No Way Out 2001)

Vs. Stone Cold (SummerSlam and Unforgiven 2001)

Vs. Chris Jericho (Rebellion 2001)

Vs. Edge (Backlash 2002)

Vs. Benoit (Royal Rumble 2003)

Vs. Lesnar (WM XIX and SummerSlam 2003)

Vs. Cena (No Mercy 2003)

Vs. Mysterio (SummerSlam 2002)

Vs. The Undertaker (4th of July 2002 SD, SD Sep 2003, No Way Out 2006)

Vs. The Big Show (SD Aug 2003)

Vs. Kane (SD Nov 2001)

Skits: The backstage segment with Christian where he was making fun of HHH. "I tore my quad this morning and I'm feeling just fine."

That one time he dressed up like John Cena.

The competition segments with Lesnar when they were pals

In the wake of Angle's departure from the WWE, allow me to pose a question: assuming Kurt never comes back to wrestling (God forbid) and Shawn Michaels never has another significant match (entirely possible), who between the two of them has the better body of work?

Guest JustPassinBy

I hope Angle goes to UFC.

Angle vs Lesnar in the UFC would be their highest grossing PPV ever.

Book it!

Vince has a big smile on his face with the repeat use of "entertainment wrestling".

I thought it'd be more of a frown. He's still upset that after 20 years, he still can't shake that w-word from his company.

Book it!

No, it wouldn't be for numerous reasons and you know that. UFC already outdraws WWE with it's own names. Lesnar was never particularly a legitimate draw and to throw in the fact either of these two could actually provide a match worth the undercard spot on a UFC ppv.

Brock can rest comfortably doing K1 against tomato cans and Kurt, will take any booking that he can get that'll drive him to that early grave he wants so badly.

For me:

Favorite matches

Vs. Guerrero (Wrestlemania 20)

Vs. Rock (No Mercy 2000 / No Way Out 2001)

Vs. Stone Cold (SummerSlam and Unforgiven 2001)

Vs. Chris Jericho (Rebellion 2001)

Vs. Edge (Backlash 2002)

Vs. Benoit (Royal Rumble 2003)

Vs. Lesnar (WM XIX and SummerSlam 2003)

Vs. Cena (No Mercy 2003)

Vs. Mysterio (SummerSlam 2002)

Vs. The Undertaker (4th of July 2002 SD, SD Sep 2003, No Way Out 2006)

Vs. The Big Show (SD Aug 2003)

Vs. Kane (SD Nov 2001)

Skits: The backstage segment with Christian where he was making fun of HHH. "I tore my quad this morning and I'm feeling just fine."

That one time he dressed up like John Cena.

The competition segments with Lesnar when they were pals

In the wake of Angle's departure from the WWE, allow me to pose a question: assuming Kurt never comes back to wrestling (God forbid) and Shawn Michaels never has another significant match (entirely possible), who between the two of them has the better body of work?

That's a difficult, subjective question. But the edge may go to Angle, considering he has only been in the biz for like 7 or 8 years, and he has had a ton of great matches.

Let's analyze the 2.

Both he and Michaels can work heel and face and make it seem easy. Both can talk, and either rile up the crowd or make them cheer.

Angle made such a seamless transition to the pro style and got better so quickly, it's amazing.

Both of them have fought through pain, but Kurt never lost his smile so...

Kurt has agreed to all sorts of stupid stuff like the booker t/sharmell angle, and is probbaly the antithesis of the backstage politician

Ok, maybe we need to make alist of both of their greta match lists

as for my fav angle moments, probably any of his skits. The intro vignettes, his debut (well actually his 2nd wwe tv match) at SurSeries 99, where he left the ring to tell the fans you dont boo a gold medalist. His feud with steve blackman (that doesnt count as a loss for me), Euro-Continental champ (I was the first, well actually D-Lo Brown was the first but he doesn't count)

His backlash 2000 feud with Big Show, where he was going around preaching abstinence and Show showed up with free condoms

Team ECK, nuff said

Winning King Of The Ring

Riding a moped to mock Taker

The Steph Just friends angle (including his kiss of Steph and the look on his face after it, priceless)

WWF Champion win and celebration

The Angle Family shows up on Xmas RAW 2000

Rock/Angle NWO

Benoit feud (WM, Backlash Ultimate Submission match, cage match on raw, misses moonsault off top of cage INSANE)

Shane goes thru the glass and on his head at KOTR 2001

The Austin/Angle battle for Vince's love (including the cowboy hats and badges, and singing)

WWF hero during invasion and his great funny promos and skits like the milk truck, and interactions with Rock

Edge feud, wearing the wig

Beats Hogan

vs Rey at Summerslam 02

Vs Benoit Unforgiven 02 (I was there live!)

SD 6 era

Vs Benoit Rumble 03

Vs Brock WM

Cena feud (rapping Kurt)

His entrance into the Rumble match 04 (crazy big pop)

Vs Cena/Show NWO 04

vs Eddy, wm 20, summerslam 04, 2/3 falls on sd

GM Angle in wheelchair with lift into ring

Interactions with John "Bucko" Layfield

JBL/Angle/Show Rumble 05, then Kurt takes Nunzions number and enters the rumble only to get eliminated by shawn, then comes back and beats the hell out of HBK

Angle Invitational

Wm vs Shawn

vs Cena First blood match on RAW

trying to be a heel, even insults US military and still gets cheered over Cena

wins world title in 06

vs Rey/Orton wm

destroying people in ECW

Ill miss you kurt, but please get well soon

Guest DRH 502
Bingo

Barron, my response to you is lick my balls you fucking nettard. Welcome to ignore.

Meltzer mention anything on WO Live?

He said that the fact WWE publically fired Angle shows you how bad Angle is doing, given that they would normally go out of there way to avoid having to let him go. He also said that if we knew how bad Kurt was hurt, it would "absolutely stun you", and Meltzer thinks Kurt is done. Meltzer did, however, say, that he thought the same of Muto and Kobashi were done and they came back and had some big years, especially with Kobashi. Meltzer is going under the assumption that Kurt will never be the same and probably shouldn't wrestle again. Meltzer also points out that Angle's biggest problem could be that, in Angle's mind, he's been proving people wrong all his career, like with his neck, and with something like this it could cause major problems. Meltzer said he hopes Angle wrestles again, but not after a long time and dealing with his problems, but from his tone I don't think Meltzer realistically sees that happening.

And if you want to see some major denial of how bad Kurt is, go to the ROH boards.

Book it!

No. No, it wouldn't.

Angle would likely die/be crippled within two legit MMA matches. If Daniel Puder can own him, Frank Mir would break him. Arlovski would ruin him anyway he wanted to and guys like Sylvia and Kongo would likely break his neck. I doubt Dana wants the first MMA casualty resigned to a wheel chair/casket on his watch.

from another forum

Latest F4W says wrestlers claimed Angle showed up to events "more messed up than Shawn Michaels or Brian Pillman" and that the release was not mutual. It also claims that Angle showing up in TNA is far more likely than some are saying. Looking forward to confirmation from the Observer, but considering Alvarez shares notes with Meltzer, what was said in the newsletter probably isn't bogus.

Latest F4W says wrestlers claimed Angle showed up to events "more messed up than Shawn Michaels or Brian Pillman" and that the release was not mutual. It also claims that Angle showing up in TNA is far more likely than some are saying. Looking forward to confirmation from the Observer, but considering Alvarez shares notes with Meltzer, what was said in the newsletter probably isn't bogus.

Yikes. I hope that in the near future we're not naming off Crash Holly, Road Warrior Hawk, Curt Hennig, The Wall/Malice, and Kurt Angle in the same sentence.

It's a shame the intervention (I assume that's what it was) didn't work out and he got released.

If he is in that state, it's amazing he held it together as long as he did.

It sounds like Angle got a case of Frankie Howerd syndrome.

While his personal world fell apart, he gave everything he could for the approval of an adoring audience, until he could barely walk out before them and put on the show he was expected to provide. He went on giving right up to the point no one would book him because of his own desire to perpetually deliver a first class performance, due to his own insecurity about his lasting impact and unfortunately tied in substance abuse which kept him going against all odds.

On the other hand, it could have been much worse. He could have repeated the Louie Spicolli tragedy and had too many somas to sleep despite the pain and then not woke up.

This is from the Torch. I like the part about Angle's stripper wifey.

Kurt Angle's career comes to screeching halt

WWE and Angle "agree to part ways," WWE goes public with it

COVER STORY

By Wade Keller, editor

Last Friday, WWE broke off ties with Kurt Angle and granted him an unconditional release. They immediately announced the decision on WWE.com. Angle instantly became a free agent, able to immediately sign with TNA, UFC, New Japan, Zero One, K-1, or NASCAR if he wanted.

The string of events that led up to the severing of ties on Friday is a complex web of problems in Angle's life, both personal and professional, which manifested into a situation WWE wanted no part of. WWE has said that they would welcome him back - and they genuinely would - but only if he makes changes in his life and gets help for his abundance of problems.

WWE's public comment on the situation initially was: "Due to personal issues, Kurt Angle has been granted an early release from his contract. WWE looks forward to establishing a new relationship with Kurt in the near future." The story then highlighted his great accomplishments in his WWE career.

The next day, Angle granted WWE.com an interview. "My body is so beat up and run down, I can't even think straight," said Angle. "I need my body to reheal and rehab, I have done this for too long without a break. I haven't been able to really enjoy my life. I haven't seen my family, I've had problems with medication - I'm just fried physically and mentally."

Angle's business manager David Hawk was quoted in the story, also. "Kurt's in a tremendous amount of pain," he said. "He's used prescription medication to deal with it. Kurt has come to the conclusion that unless he can get in the ring without the use of pain medication, then he doesn't need to be in there. He realizes he was just endangering himself and his opponents."

Angle said he can't even think about returning until he heals up mentally and physically. "Vince says when I'm ready, if I'm ever ready, to come back and just sign on the dotted line," Angle said. "I'll tell you, if I do return, I'm going back to my roots, training on the mat like my amateur days. Longevity is the key."

Vince McMahon commented on the situation on Monday. He said: "It's unfortunate that Kurt was released, and it's really unfortunate for the WWE fans who, for a while at least, won't see Angle in action. (Angle) is a consummate professional; obviously he's a great athlete, and he's the only Olympic Gold Medalist in WWE history. Not to have Kurt with us is really unfortunate all the way around... but circumstances were such that Kurt should have been, and was, granted his release...

"Kurt has a history of being one of the greatest athletes that America has ever seen. It's no secret that even when Kurt won the Olympic Gold Medal, he did so with a broken neck. Kurt has been dealing with that pain, and the advancement of that pain, as well as other injuries. He had been dealing with that injury since he won the gold medal; he had been masking it in many ways just so he could go out and compete. Kurt only knows 100-percent; he is not one of those guys who can go out and compete at an 85-percent level. He just cannot do that; he's a thoroughbred. He has to go as fast, and as great, and as strong as he possibly can; that's the only way Kurt Angle knows.

"WWE would certainly welcome Kurt back with open arms. I think Kurt has some issues he has to face, as we all do from time to time. We all have our demons, and as human beings, it is important for us to overcome them and become better human beings, athletes, and business people."

Angle has a badly damaged neck. He has had numerous ring injuries over his seven year career in WWE. He has taken prescription pills to deal with the pain. For years, the number of pain pills he was taking was of great concern to his fellow wrestlers who knew him well, especially those close enough to him to call him during his off days, when he was often borderline incoherent from the effects of the pills he was taking. He also had a rep for hiding the severity of his addiction from Vince McMahon at live events.

One former WWE wrestler who has battled pain pill addiction and gone through treatment tells PWTorch that tolerance builds up quickly and dramatically over time. He says that someone who has been using pills for several years can build up a tolerance to the point of taking literally up to 75-100 pills a day to get any desired effect. "That is not a safe habit or an easy habit to break free from," he says.

Although the WWE Wellness Policy likely did detect sharply elevated levels of certain medication in Angle's system, and it did result in his suspension last month, his release may not be directly related to the Wellness Policy. Although it drew attention to an issue he had, releasing Angle breaks from WWE's track record of sending talents with drug addiction issues to treatment, saving lives in the process. There is some dispute among WWE sources over what the key issue was with Angle, but part of the timing of the situation was his contract coming due.

Angle's contract, estimated to have a $1 million downside guarantee, is set to expire early next year. Negotiations for a renewal began recently. Angle and his agent may not have been happy with the terms of the renewal. Details are not confirmed, but informed sources believe that WWE may have asked Angle to check himself in for a 13-week detoxification and treatment program for his medical problems. Angle may not have been willing to take that step, and that could have created an impasse.

Angle, who has a rep for being an incredibly nice person among his colleagues ("happy go lucky," says one wrestler), has also always been a touch moody. The mood swings have been said to be much worse lately, to the point that he was said to be driving people in ECW crazy.

Angle also was concerned about his move to ECW. ECW is the "third brand," and considered a bit of a demotion in some people's eyes. It also could be perceived as an honor by Angle to be chosen to head up a new brand that McMahon is serious about turning into a significant revenue generator for the company. By being in ECW, though, it was unlikely that Angle would top his downside guarantee of $1 million. He wouldn't come close with his ECW house show, ECW TV, and two ECW PPV appearances. He would need to have consistent and significant placement on the tri-brand, big-name PPVs, including WrestleMania. Even so, in a best case scenario, as part of ECW he was probably looking at a pay cut from his peak years.

Angle, though, wasn't said to be openly disgruntled about his role in ECW. It was more a situation where he seemed overeager to turn ECW into a big deal. Sources say he had too many ideas, almost to a manic degree.

The biggest issue with Angle, which multiple sources believe was the key issue instigating most of his problems, was trouble back home in Pittsburgh. He has been through a rocky relationship with his wife, Karen. They officially separated a year ago, then got back together, then split again this year, and are now in the process of filing for divorce. People who know his wife, or know of her though being around Angle day after day, say she has been a handful, to put it nicely. She would obsessively track Angle's moves and, according to one close friend of Angle, "act so paranoid and possessive it would drive anyone to want to cheat." Meanwhile, lately, Angle has had to suffer the indignity of rumors in Pittsburgh, where he is a local celebrity, that his wife was cavorting around, partying publicly, and displaying men on her arm, in an alleged attempt to humiliate him or get back at him.

Angle has had family pressure for years to support them financially to the point in some cases that it became an emotional drain to go home rather than a relief. "Going home should be a release for a wrestler with Angle's schedule," says one source. "For Kurt, it was a nightmare. He couldn't wait to get back on the road and away from the drama."

But Angle is not just a husband, he is also a father. He and his wife have a daughter together who turns four in December. His wife is also pregnant at this time, due at the end of the year.

Angle was said to be so emotionally taxed that WWE felt it was only a matter of time before he cracked, or worse. Investing a long-term contract in him at this point, given the direction of his life, seemed like a bad investment. But Angle may have been hesitant to fully deal with the issues he has, especially if it meant checking into a 13 week treatment center where he'd be cut off from the outside world, including most interaction with family and friends, during the final trimester of his wife's pregnancy.

There is also a belief that Angle has been in denial over how bad everything is. His comments on WWE.com, though, were seen as a positive sign since he is admitting to having issues with his medication and a need to get his family life straightened out and mental health in order.

Besides medication issues, contract issues, family issues, and health issues, Angle is also dealing with aging issues. He has been a standout athlete his entire life. Winning the gold medal in the Olympics in amateur wrestling is considered among the toughest achievements in all of individual sports. He excelled in wrestling in college, as a two-time NCAA Division I champion (1990 and 1992) and three-time NCAA Division I All-American at Clario University in Pennsylvania. He excelled in high school wrestling, also. Acknowledging that his body is slowing down, as he approaches his 38th birthday in December, is not a small thing for someone whose very identity has been tied to physical superiority and outstanding athletic achievements throughout his entire adult life.

At this point, Angle's future is unknown and impossible to predict with any confidence. The greatest fear among those who know him best in WWE is that he'll try to prove Vince McMahon wrong by signing with another pro wrestling group or an MMA group. There will offers from MMA groups who would love their top star to have a win over an Olympic gold medalist on their resume and enjoy the windfall of business that would come from a high-profile main event PPV match, such as Angle vs. UFC's Middleweight Champion Chuck Lidell or Angle vs. Pride Middlweight Champion Wanderlei Silva, who would be in his weight category. Numbness in his hand, a direct result of neck problems, is a sign that he could be one big bump away from paralysis, which makes the prospects of him even passing a physical to be involved in an MMA fight questionable.

TNA would love to feature him, but there's little to entice Angle to sign with TNA other than spite, since there are no compelling opponents in TNA for Angle other than Samoa Joe, but politics have held Joe down from a meaningful top spot to make that match the draw it could be. TNA also doesn't have the money to compete with other offers, nor the exposure and prestige to not seem like a step down for Angle. However, Angle has enough confidence in himself that he might think he could be a huge factor in creating legitimate competition for WWE by being part of TNA.

Angle could also take the time off he needs, get the help he needs, and return to WWE as a wrestler sometime next year. Although his body is in rough shape, especially his neck, there is belief within WWE that if he worked a virtually bump-free style, he could wrestle several more years. If anyone could pull off a virtually bump-free style, it's Angle, although he's shown no propensity to scale back his style to protect his fragile body.

Angle could also return to WWE for a non-wrestling role, such as being a color commentator, a road agent, a trainer, or an on-air manager. He could work for himself, such as writing a tell-all book about his life and his WWE experiences or open independent amateur or pro wrestling training centers or become a motivational speaker touring the country.

WWE.com published comments from several Angle colleagues regarding his departure.

Said Paul Heyman: "This is the best thing for both parties.?Kurt has spent his entire life driven to be the best at what he does. Kurt's body, however, could no longer preform to the level that he envisioned for himself. (Kurt) was prepared to drive himself into an early grave simply to live with himself striving to be?No. 1.?This is a recipe for catastrophe, and taking time off to get his mind and body in sync is the only way to deal with these issues."

Said Dean Malenko: "People have to worry about their life first, and Kurt needs to get his head straight and get himself happy."

Said Chavo Guerrero: "He's a machine; there has to be something else going on."??

Said Ken Kennedy: "I'm shocked, but I'm happy Kurt's doing what's right.?He's been in a lot of pain, and hopefully this decision saved his life.?It sucks because Kurt is good for this company.?He's the most intense wrestler I have ever seen."

Said Rey Mysterio: "I was shocked. I just couldn't believe it. I go back a long way with Kurt, and this has really affected me. I hope he can get his issues straightened out.?We all have issues with this lifestyle because it's not easy.?I hope he keeps plugging away because I'd love to see him in the ring again someday."

If his colleagues who said they were shocked really were shocked, they either weren't paying attention to obvious signals or Angle hid his stress when he was around them.

Angle, though, was level-headed upon entering WWE. In his WWE.com interview, McMahon stressed that Angle has medical issues related, among other things, to a broken neck he suffered in the Olympics. In other words, it wasn't a problem that started in WWE. By releasing him, it's also a problem that won't end - well or otherwise - in WWE. One source who was close to Angle when he first arrived in WWE says he definitely was not using prescription pain pills when he fist entered WWE.

If Angle does get treatment and gets his personal life in order, he almost certainly will be welcome back. In the mean time, though, he's on his own.

On the "McMahon" DVD, Angle (prophetically?) says: "Everybody says Vince is a nice guy he'll do anything for you. Yeah, he will, but if you don't give that in return, he'll spit you out and step on you and leave you there."

If Angle is upset with being released, he may let it be known in the media. He could follow the path of Brock Lesnar and badmouth WWE while seeking employment elsewhere. But given how positive he has been about Vince McMahon and how passionate he's been toward WWE during his stint with the company, it's more likely he'll attempt to do what it takes to get back in.

The word most often used when describing Angle is "competitive." Usually "ultra-" is thrown in front of the word. It may take a while for Angle to accept that his options are more limited than before, but given his personality, odds are strong he will find a way to compete in some other way as fiercely as he always has.

Last Friday, WWE broke off ties with Kurt Angle and granted him an unconditional release. They immediately announced the decision on WWE.com. Angle instantly became a free agent, able to immediately sign with TNA, UFC, New Japan, Zero One, K-1, or NASCAR if he wanted.

Is this new information, or did I miss this from earlier in the thread?

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

Kurt Angle has all the tools to be a great NASCAR driver. He can do it, I believe in him.

from the wwe text message sevice

"Exclusive: According to sources, the meeting between WWE execs and Kurt Angle was heated and confrontational. Angle was an emotional wreck departing WWE Titan Tower."

gerweck.net

Guest NateW
from the wwe text message sevice

"Exclusive: According to sources, the meeting between WWE execs and Kurt Angle was heated and confrontational. Angle was an emotional wreck departing WWE Titan Tower."

gerweck.net

HHHMMM!!! Could it be that he's talking with TNA or something? Maybe they want to show that they tried to help him to no avail and now he's going to wrestle for another promotion. They can try to put on TNA this way as well. This might be a longshot. Then again, I can't really think of any other reasons as to why WWE would all of a sudden change their tune.

In regards to the WWE Mobile alert on Kurt Angle that we talked about yesterday in the news update, basically WWE has decided to do a 180 on allowing him to save face in the situation. In other words, the chances of him returning to WWE anytime soon are probably slimmer today than they were last week. Much more in this week's upcoming newsletter.

Alvarez at f4wonline

I got this from LOP

More notes regarding Kurt Angle's WWE release, as reported by the Wrestling Observer:

-- After losing his title at WrestleMania, Kurt Angle adamantly began pushing WWE management to get the title back. While that did not initially play out, he continued pushing hard to make sure he remained a top star.

He pushed Brian Gewirtz to be added to the Vengeance PPV, and, at one point, was actually scheduled to defeat Randy Orton. But, when news of his drug test failure came out (due to having an expired prescription for a drug he took), WWE quickly jobbed him out and suspended him for thirty days.

-- Vince McMahon gave Kurt Angle a stern warning after learning of his drug policy violation; following that, sources say things began getting messy. Kurt Angle would constantly call, email and text message WWE officials and wrestlers. Some say half the messages were senseless, while half were perfectly coherent.

-- He was brought back immediately at the end of his suspension only because ECW needed a big star to return. The ECW lockerroom quickly turned on him due to his "impossible" behavior, which included telling an agent that when he accidentally dropped RVD on his head during a match, it was actually RVD's fault. He would have another confrontation with RVD based on something he said in the ring during one of their matches.

-- Angle also petitioned very hard to be added to the Summerslam card. His campaigning worked, as the original plan was to make the ECW Championship bout a four-way. But, following his groin injury at the 8/13 house show, Vince McMahon pulled him from the Summerslam card.

-- On August 21, Angle called Johnny Ace and said he was being wheeled through the airport. He said his massage therapist claimed he had a torn abdominal muscle. Vince reportedly made a decision at this time to both set up an MRI and, if necessary, fire Angle.

-- Kurt Angle was released from his contract (and given some money) on 8/25. Terms of his release remain unclear.

-- Some of the major non-WWE wrestling names (All Japan, NOAH and TNA) expressed immediate interest in Angle upon learning of his release. While he could very well wrestle for another promotion (which would upset WWE, both as a company and as an entity looking out for Angle's health), a bigger fear on WWE's part is that he'll take a job with an MMA promotion and put his health in further danger.