TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

Gas Price Check...

$2.72

and my Yaris can go 380 miles on 10 gallons easily. I could push it to 400 but I dont like the fuel gauge that has bars instead of the spedometer like one that my old car had..cant really tell how far I have left on that last bar but it seems to be about 1 gallon give or take which is around 35+ miles. Ive gotten gas 3 times in 2 months plus the gas the car came with.

You could simply divide your tank size by the number of bars, and figure out the mileage you're getting when traveling to your most common destinations. If I get a couple of weeks with a car I can figure out almost exactly how many trips I can get out of it.

I think Its 9 bars for an 11.2 gallon tank...my math is fuzzy but I think thats 1 1/4 gallons per bar which actually makes sense thinking about it like that.

It was bad enough getting used to the instrument panel in the center of the dash but having the LCD bars instead of the spedometer like gas guage was even wierder.

All I know is the last bar starts blinking at about 370-380 miles and I can put 10 gallons in at that point, so Im sticking with that.

For the record, I have the 4 door sedan model Yaris and not the dumb looking 3 door liftback.

President Bush is supposedly set to lay out a new plan to cut US "addiction to foreign oil." It will be interesting to see if there's anything meaningful or substantive in what he proposes.

I saw this article..

Some of the article..

Bush wants the country to reduce gasoline consumption by 20 percent over 10 years. Under his plan, this would be accomplished by increasing the use of alternative fuels to 35 billion gallons by 2017 and boosting fuel efficiency standards in new vehicles.

"Our dependence on oil creates a risk for our economy, because a supply disruption anywhere in the world could drive up American gas prices to even more painful levels," Bush said Monday during a speech from the Rose Garden. "Our dependence on oil creates a threat to America's national security, because it leaves us more vulnerable to hostile regimes, and to terrorists who could attack oil infrastructure."

Congress has not acted on the plan, and Bush announced steps Monday that don't require congressional action. He ordered the Environmental Protection Agency and the departments of Agriculture and Transportation to come up with solutions for meeting his goals by the end of the year. And he repeated his desire to see Congress take up his proposals.

wonderful plan..he doesnt even have any ideas and is making the EPA and all do the hard work (read: coming up with how to actually accomplish his "goals") for him..lol

I also saw this article..shows why I dont really care about the plight of US Automakers anymore because they're rediculously stupid..

Other Democratic candidates have talked about mileage increases, too:

_New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, a former energy secretary, also wants to reach 50 mpg, but his deadline would be three years later than Dodd's. Richardson plans to offer details of his proposal Thursday.

_Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards wants 40 mpg by 2016. He has urged his audiences to consider sacrificing their gas-guzzling vehicles for the good of the country. In a campaign line that he uses often and that wins applause, the 2004 vice presidential nominee says, "It's time for Americans to be patriotic about something other than war."

_New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton plans to announce her proposal for increasing fuel economy in the coming weeks. Clinton spokesman Phil Singer noted that in the past she has supported increasing fuel efficiency by 10 mpg over the next decade.

_At a speech last Monday at the Detroit Economic Club, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama lectured automakers on their home turf for investing in bigger, faster cars while dependency on oil is jeopardizing U.S. security and the global environment.

"The auto industry is on a path that is unsustainable for their business, for their workers, and for America, and America must take action to make it right," Obama said. "That's why my first proposal will require automakers to meet higher fuel standards and produce more fuel-efficient cars, while providing them the flexibility and assistance to do it."

Obama's speech irritated industry officials. They say the sentiment he expressed _ while shared by other political leaders _ ignores the reality that they are making the vehicles that people in the United States want to buy: Cars and trucks with big engines, towing capacity and room for passengers.

That was like a couple years ago but Im pretty sure more people are going to put fuel milage as a higher priority now with gas on its way to $4 a gallon..if they cant realize that then they deserve to go bankrupt and be out of business because obviously foreign car makers have figured that out already and are working on it and they dont seem to be having a hard time selling the fuel efficient cars.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Simpler solution: Take resources from the countries we're already blowing up.

$3.36 in NW North Dakota (as I look outside and see 5 oil wells pumping and the local gas plant going through a shift change).

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the "summer driving season" bullshit that they try to foist off on us. Even if that's what it was, the price should not increase by as much as it does. And it seems that this summer increase deal has only been happening for the last few years. I'm stating the obvious perhaps, but for God's sake, how stupid do they think people are?

Well, there was some mention that a couple refineries are down, but still...

There was a story in the area that a couple local gas stations had stopped selling gas, because they were actually losing money on it.

I still don't understand how oil companies are making record profits if they are only raising prices because "costs are rising" If gas prices are going up, strictly because the costs are going up, how does that translate into record high profits? It sounds like price gouging to me, based on market instability and "speculation" every time you turn on the news.

Also, I've also heard that refineries are purposely shut down in order to control the supply, driving up demand, and the price.

That wouldn't surprise me.

Really, we as consumers need to start actively punishing the oil companies, and the government. I just don't think the general populace has the spine for it.

That wouldn't surprise me.

Really, we as consumers need to start actively punishing the oil companies, and the government. I just don't think the general populace has the spine for it.

Well that and conservatives have convinced the american people that taxing the top 2% of earners is somehow a bad thing.

Guest George's Box

I don't think anyone believes taxing them is a bad thing, they just believe taxing the living hell out of them is a bad thing.