TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

To those of you with Wii's...

Seriously, your Miis are really really weird. Freaks me out a little bit. I just made myself and my friends, and I did the Kyo one. Anyone like Kyo? King of Fighters-ish at all?

This just in:

Super Star Soldier is now available on Virtual Console. Someone get it and tell me how it is.

Anyone in this thread that has posted still not have a Wii? I totally underestimated the availability of the Wii after launch. Everytime I end up in stores, they are sold out. The closest I came was Black Friday at the Nintendo Store in NYC. That was my last ditch effort to get it, but I arrived 30 minutes after they sold out.

Guest Smues

No Wii for me yet. Failed on Black Friday, and was at the airport when Bestbuy opened on Sunday. Gonna probably be awhile until I can find one.

Anyone in this thread that has posted still not have a Wii? I totally underestimated the availability of the Wii after launch. Everytime I end up in stores, they are sold out. The closest I came was Black Friday at the Nintendo Store in NYC. That was my last ditch effort to get it, but I arrived 30 minutes after they sold out.

I don't have one. I probably won't bother getting one until after X-Mas, or maybe even until they decide to release a black version.

Guest Princess Leena

Unless you've waited in line for hours, or were extremely lucky, you don't have the Wii yet. So, that's most people.

I'm hoping to get one tomorrow. I have to assume there won't be a huge line of people waiting on a Wednesday morning... I hope.

Apparantly, I have read that some Walmarts around the country are sitting on the shipments they have. Supposedly there is gonna be a sale at Walmart on December 3rd. I have read so many topics on how the customer service will tell customers when the next shipment comes. Around here...EVERYONE is tight lipped. I have called and asked for that info, but all the stores have said "I don't know"

Or maybe they're just selling like crazy:

Wii is a Massive Hit

600,000 First-Week Purchases Attracting Veteran and New Gamers

REDMOND, Wash., Nov. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Built on a foundation of pure fun, Nintendo's new Wii video game system sold through to more than 600,000 consumers in the Americas in just its first eight days of availability. That's a rate of nearly one per second continuously since the Nov. 19 launch.

Including just first-party software and accessory sales, Wii instantly has become a $190 million business in the Americas.

During the Thanksgiving holiday shopping weekend, there was plenty of conversation across the nation about the high demand for the Wii system, with the acknowledgment that if you see one, you'd better buy it.

"Even with sales already in excess of 600,000 units, demand continues to exceed supply, as it's clear this is one of the 'gotta-have' products for the holiday season," says Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "We've shipped retailers several times the amount of hardware the other company was able to deliver for its launch around the same time -- and we still sold out.

Given the inclusive nature of Wii game play, we're seeing this new form of video gaming is already a huge hit with gamers and newcomers alike. It continues to be a phenomenal launch."

The system also is succeeding in its stated mission of reinvigorating current players, while attracting new ones. Every Wii system includes the five-game Wii Sports software, which is the talk of the Internet, featuring countless reports on how previously devout non-gamers have suddenly been converted via the amazing new way games are experienced using the system's remarkable controller.

At the same time, the masterful The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess, a favorite of avid gamers, already has achieved sales of more than 454,000 units in the Americas, representing more than 75 percent of all hardware purchasers.

Licensees, pleased not only with the sales performance of the Wii, but also its creative development capabilities, are publicly sharing their comments:

"Madden NFL 07 is a great example of how the Wii gives players a whole new experience on their favorite games," says EA Studio President Paul Lee. "EA's creative teams are working to build more Wii features into some of our most popular franchises."

"The creativity we've been able to unleash on the Wii system with our game Red Steel has been eye-opening for our development teams," explains Ubisoft President Laurent Detoc. "Having the opportunity to design and develop entirely new game-play experiences using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk is both exciting and rewarding."

Classic games also are proving to be a hit on Wii, which offers downloadable access to 20 years of the best of Nintendo®, Sega Genesis® and TurboGrafx16 hits via the system's Virtual Console feature.

Guest Princess Leena

Yep, this isn't like Sony that just isn't making enough PS3/PS2's. The Wii is just selling like crazy.

As far as the Walmart thing, there's been other reports of people saying mid-week... so, there's no way to know. And that wiiseeker or whatever site is full of crap. And calling a store like Walmart, the employees have no idea when any shipments are coming in. You're probably better off calling game stores or more specific electronic places like Best Buy, CC, etc..

And that wiiseeker or whatever site is full of crap.

Yes, it is. It doesn't even get zip codes right. I entered several Columbus zip codes and got results from all over Ohio and bordering states, but none from Columbus.

Anyway, I'm really happy that the Wii's doing well thus far, especially considering the lack of marketing. The free publicity from mainstream outlets such as the Today show must have been a tremendous help.

As far as the Walmart thing, there's been other reports of people saying mid-week... so, there's no way to know. And that wiiseeker or whatever site is full of crap. And calling a store like Walmart, the employees have no idea when any shipments are coming in. You're probably better off calling game stores or more specific electronic places like Best Buy, CC, etc..

yeah...like we talked about before, I think people are just better off calling stores everyday until they finally get a "Yes we have some in right now" response, rather than asking "when can you expect more to come in?" It may be tedious after a few days, but it's better than getting jerked around constantly.

Yeah, wiiseeker sucks.

And no, there aren't enough Wiis. So what if there's 2x as many Wiis sold so far as PS3s. That's not very damn much, and both would sell a lot more if the stock was available. Both of them sold out within probably 20 minutes of going on sale at every store, if that.

I don't think Nintendo expected it would sell this well. Once Feb hits, one will be able to walk into a store and buy a Wii.

How well is the 360 selling right now? I mean, I could see some people wanting a Wii/PS3 and there isn't any, so they just get a 360.

Guest Princess Leena

I mostly think Nintendo didn't expect the Wii to sell this well. Remember the Gamecube? On launch day, there were still consoles on the shelves.

I mostly think Nintendo didn't expect the Wii to sell this well. Remember the Gamecube? On launch day, there were still consoles on the shelves.

There was hype, and I think Nintendo knew about the hype. I think they had expectations. The issue here is that you can only manufacture so many before it's time to sell them.

How well is the 360 selling right now? I mean, I could see some people wanting a Wii/PS3 and there isn't any, so they just get a 360.

A 360 isn't the same thing as a PS3, and neither of them are the same thing as a Wii.

Sure, at this point in time pretty much every PS3 game but Resistance is on 360, but people who honestly want a PS3 are thinking less about Resistance or Motorstorm than they are Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo and the other Sony staples.

If the situation were reversed, do you think the 360-demanding buyers would want a PS3 when they really want to play Halo 3/Gears/Dead or Alive/Project Gotham/Perfect Dark (just kidding)? No.

If I absolutely could not have found a Wii, do you expect me to buy a 360? Why? Kameo ain't got jack on Zelda.

I don't believe traditional marketing logic applies to gamers. This holiday I expect PS2 will still outsell 360, PS3 and Wii will sell as many as the companies will make, and anyone buying any of those systems will do so because they wanted it to some degree. It won't be because they simply couldn't find a PS3/Wii.

This only *maybe* applies to parents, who don't know what the hell the difference is anyway. But that's still a big assumption to make.

Golden Axe and Ecco the Dolphin are now on Virtual Console, btw.

Already have them on the Genesis collection.

Those games are totally not worth 8 bucks either, although they're at least not as ridiculous as Altered Beast for 8 bucks.

I suspect Sega will continue to be lazy phucks and will just gradually release the entire Genesis Collection catalogue (or at least whatever Nintendo will approve).

Golden Axe and Ecco the Dolphin are now on Virtual Console, btw.

Already have them on the Genesis collection.

Those games are totally not worth 8 bucks either, although they're at least not as ridiculous as Altered Beast for 8 bucks.

I suspect Sega will continue to be lazy phucks and will just gradually release the entire Genesis Collection catalogue (or at least whatever Nintendo will approve).

I totally forgot about the Genesis Collection. I might as well pick that up instead of getting it on VC; much more cost effective.

Plus instead of the measly single interrupt save, Genesis collection lets you make 3 save states you can then load up at your own whim, picking up exactly where you left off.

We'll probably see the Streets of Rage games on VC, though.

I'm toying with the idea of going online with my Wii for the virtual console. I've no interest in paying for 3rd or 4th generation ROMs, but how much are the 5th gen (N64) ROMs and what's the selection like?

I'm toying with the idea of going online with my Wii for the virtual console. I've no interest in paying for 3rd or 4th generation ROMs, but how much are the 5th gen (N64) ROMs and what's the selection like?

N64 games are $10 (1000 points each). The selection so far is:

•Super Mario 64

Guest Princess Leena

I know it's been said already, but Nintendo needs to lower the prices of a lot of the VC games. Not just because you can buy the actual games cheaper... but, compared to the classic game collections out there, which come out to like $2 per game at most, it's a ripoff.