TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

Seriously, and I'm included in this, it's really creepy to see people's friends show up as Mii's in your system. Like, REALLY creepy, because I know some of those Mii's are like your girlfriends or your sister, etc. Freaks me out.

So, can you feasibly play the Wii while, say, sitting/lounging in a recliner? My room's cramped for space and I'd rather not spend $250 on a console that I can't use without redecorating.

Guest Princess Leena

For most games, yes. Even with the sports ones, all the effort you really need is by flicking your wrist.

The bigger thing is to give yourself some space away from the sensor. At least 3 feet. That may be tricky in my room.

I barely have enough room.

Oh, and my tivo downloaded the "meet the W!! people" 2 minute video, and all I can say is the 2 Japanese guys creeped me out, almost as much as the mountain man farmer guy that played the W!! first...and screw him for having broadband up in Montana..

Why? Are you afraid of girls?

It's mostly that the majority of Wii's seem to be personal friends of people and it's like... stepping somewhere where I don't belong.

Check this out. I got my Wii at target yest like i said and i bought it with Legend of Zelda, I left that target like at 8:30 am and then went around and ran a few errands, when i get home i decide to set everything up and take a nap. I wake up and im exctied about playing zelda. I opened it and instead of Zelda there was a cdr inside. I was furious so i call Target and they told me to just bring it in. I go and talk to the lady in returns and she wont do it, she says that i waited too long or we and why didnt i check the shrink wrapping (which mind you looked real) well after about a 30 hour argument she just says fuck it and give it to me. I asked some1 else that about it and they told me its happened before.

Guest NYankees

I would have laughed in her face and called the corporte offices and made a complaint. Stores dont want to lose a single customer because they know each customer is going to spend several thousand in their lifetime at that store.

a CD-R? wtf? I've never had that issue, I've just had DVDs/Games that were scratched all to hell during transport that I've had to return. Stores are very touchy on returning that stuff due to the ability to burn things. Apparently people pass off burnt games/cds/dvds as the real thing to the stores.

Yeah man a fucking cdr and the funny thing is that it was blank and upside down, but i gotta give to whoever did it the packaging was amazing. he prolly bought a whole bunch of games, kept the originals and returned the cases with cdrs on them to make the money back. I did call corporate and they told me they where gonna send me a gift card. :)

It occurs to me that the Wii sales figures aren't as impressive as some are making them out to be, at least in the US. Gamecube sold 709,000 in November of 2001. (In Japan, it sold 182,000 the first week, so Wii beat that easily.) I guess Wii probably has a better future because there's a lot more buzz on it, but I don't think we should be declaring victory for Nintendo just yet.

It won't be a huge seller in the long run because it's really not next gen, outside of the gimmicky control scheme. I saw Madden 07 on it the other day and was less than impressed.

So, can you feasibly play the Wii while, say, sitting/lounging in a recliner? My room's cramped for space and I'd rather not spend $250 on a console that I can't use without redecorating.

For most games, yes. Even with the sports ones, all the effort you really need is by flicking your wrist.

The bigger thing is to give yourself some space away from the sensor. At least 3 feet. That may be tricky in my room.

I had the same issue, the trick is to drop the sensitivity in your wii settings if you're going to be playing closer, and raise it up higher if you'll be further away.

It won't be a huge seller in the long run because it's really not next gen, outside of the gimmicky control scheme. I saw Madden 07 on it the other day and was less than impressed.

Actually I think the "gimmicky control scheme" is what will give the Wii legs. Most people who are buying the Wii and enjoying it don't give two shits about graphics or processing horse power. They want to have fun. I know of a few dozen people that haven't owned a console since the 8bit/16bit era that have plunked down and bought a Wii. Will the Wii be number 1? Prolly not. But will it be the second console of choice? Most likely.

#3 in the US seems a more likely destination. If Nintendo goes another generation with mostly 1st party titles as their only worthwhile exclusives, it's going to be a tough go. Quality exclusives (or semi-exclusive) are what ultimately drive console sales, and Nintendo consoles haven't been able to touch Sony for the last 2 generations. As for multi-platform games, unless others are enjoying the Wii controls a hell of a lot more than I am, I don't think they're going to be a big determining factor. Which means the greatly superior graphics of the 360 and PS3 will attract the buyers of the multi-platform games to those systems.

Now, world-wide I see the Wii being #2, just because it probably will be closer to the 360 in the US than the Gamecube was to the Xbox. And Japan, well, the Wii sold about 3x more units in 1 day than the 360 sold in 1 year, so yea. Which leaves Europe, which is a pretty good Sony market, but who knows how things will break down there this time around.

Blue Bacchus, i am one of those people. I have had many convos with a friend about how to me PS2/3 and Xbox/360 games to me are stale. The Wii reps something new which excited me enough to buy a wii when i had NO interest in , at least to me, boring games on PS3 and 360 that just looked good. Id rather have the solid gameplay and fun gameplay over looks. Just how i see it

If you had actually PLAYED it you would have been impressed..but here we have another "TEH GRAFIX SUK!"

Madden on the W!! is much more fun than the previous editions of Madden..and cudos to EA for actually implementing a control scheme that utilizes the W!! to its fullest instead of a straight port. Its also good to know EA has created a seperate studio soley for W!! games so other sports titles will get the same treatment.

There's no reason you can't have innovation AND graphics. There doesn't have to be this trade.

That said out of the negative things about Wii the graphics is one of the least I am concerned about. I haven't been that impressed with next gen so far. We'll see how things are in a few years though. But next gen tech doesn't just mean next gen graphics. The coolest thing I've seen from Xbox 360 so far was all the enemies on screen in Dead Rising.

Guest Princess Leena

Marvin has gotten so ANGRY with the world. And I hate W !!.

If the weaker graphics kept the price down, then I'm all for it.

If you had actually PLAYED it you would have been impressed..but here we have another "TEH GRAFIX SUK!"

Madden on the Wii is much more fun than the previous editions of Madden..and cudos to EA for actually implementing a control scheme that utilizes the Wii to its fullest instead of a straight port. Its also good to know EA has created a seperate studio soley for Wii games so other sports titles will get the same treatment.

I didn't say the graphics sucked dude...I said I was less than impressed.

so, besides not being able to grasp chicks, you can't grasp reading comprehension either?

if you've read ANY of my posts in this thread, you would see that I'm going to be buying this thing...

There's no reason you can't have innovation AND graphics. There doesn't have to be this trade.

That said out of the negative things about Wii the graphics is one of the least I am concerned about. I haven't been that impressed with next gen so far. We'll see how things are in a few years though. But next gen tech doesn't just mean next gen graphics. The coolest thing I've seen from Xbox 360 so far was all the enemies on screen in Dead Rising.

If people want graphics I don't get why they don't go with PC gaming. There's far far more technical innovation that goes on in PC games then the very best of the console games. Way better displays and incremental upgrades to hardware, firmware (DirectX), and software (video drivers) ensure that the graphics will always be ahead of the consoles. Same goes for the other stuff like AI, sound, and physics. And in terms of gameplay and quality of games, no contest. Games like Halo, Gears of War, and Resistance all pale in comparison to even the low end of good PC shooters. And it's the same across all the genres (other than fighting, and some will argue for RPGs but I think you can get a better PC RPG). Console games are insanely dumbed down and mainstream focused compared to PC counterparts.

Now, while the Sony and Microsoft are in this technical arms race (where they will invariably get smoked by the PC) Nintendo is pushing the way you actually play the console in a new direction.

PC gaming is a hassle.

It's not just fighters. Racers, JRPGs, sports, platformers, light gun shooters, beat em ups, wrestling, survival horror and a bunch of other genres.

Well, the whole reason it is a trade this time is because Nintendo wanted that casual-friendly price to entice non-gamers, and Nintendo will never, ever, ever allow themselves to take a loss on a system. Which is why they're the only console manufacturer who isn't hemorrhaging like a victim of a chainsaw stabbing.

The thing with PCs is the price. At any given time, a high-end system will run around $2000, so it's quite a bit of a step up from even the costly PS3. Console software also tends to be quite a bit better. There's no way PC RPGs hold a candle to console RPGs in this day and age. Not only that, but the genre seems to be dying a slow death on the PC anyway. And as mentioned above, it's not just RPGs or fighters. Consoles just get a wider variety of games.

I would argue that the XBox and 360 are more of a poor man's PC, while the PS2/3 is home to more "pure" console games. But still, a poor man's PC will sell to the people who can't afford the real deal. Even if stuff like Halo wouldn't even come close to cracking a top 10 FPS list on the PC.

The problem with PCs is you can pay $2k for a top of the line computer and some games still might not work right on it, plus you have to worry about patches and such. And in less than a year your top of the line computer is now middle of the road and you'll need to start upgrading again.

Guest Princess Leena

PC's also lack a lot of games. All the college sports ones. Wrestling games. Many RPG's. If PC's had these games, I'd definitely choose to play them there, though. And I'm really not sure why they don't.

What I hate mainly hate about PC gaming is the fact that new and more recent games force PC gamers to make upgrades to the PC. At least with console gaming, a system can last 6 years and still play just fine without upgrades like video cards being needed.