TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

Great selection. Nothing I'd buy though. DKC2 is great, but my friend still has the game and I've played it to death already, though. I do love the music in it though. *goes to listen to his DKC2 soundtrack* Streets of Rage 2. Infinitely better than the watered-down SNES Final Fight. But I'd probably not going to get it since sidescrolling beat-em-ups are only fun in multiplayer, and I don't get a chance to play games with my friends too often on the Wii. Blazing Lazers? I'd have to know more of it before I comment on it. Just judging by the name, it sounds like a run'n'gun game in the vein of Contra or Gunstar Heroes. EDIT: Okay. I looked up the game. Apparently it is an overhead space shooter.

Another rumor is that Paper Mario (N64) will be available next month. For me its a must buy. I've only played that game once.

I did buy Dragon's Curse and Beyond Oasis, though. Dragon's Curse, from the little bit I've played of it, has the potential to be great or not so great. Too soon to tell. I haven't even played Beyond Oasis yet. I'm waiting to beat Zelda first.

Also, if you are even a casual fan of platformers in general, you must buy Bonk's Revenge when you get the chance. It is probably the one of the best platformers currently available on the VC. Only ones that are better are the usual (SMB, Sonic, and now DKC2).

Beyond Oasis is awesome. Your life bar switches sides depending on your position on the screen! (Sure this has no bearing on gameplay but it is really cool anyway).

Paper Mario could be my first VC purchase. I am still contemplating getting Neutopia when that comes out. I was under the impression that there were no good free TG-16 emulators but that was before I discovered that loading a game on Magic Engine resets the 5-minute time limit. But still it is a bit cumbersome. Well, I guess when I buy a Wii points card to get Paper Mario (sure there are N64 emulators but none of them are perfect and you can't really play it with the keyboard, nor is my Playstation-styled PC gamepad ideal for playing such games) I'll have points left over and I'll probably get Neutopia.

Guest Smues

I'll probably snag Paper Mario if it comes out, but I'd much prefer they release Mario RPG.

Yeah Mario RPG is the best but I depend on the VC to provide experiences that I can't comfortably play on my PC. And ZSNES works fine for me!

Nintendo needs to make a real sequel to Mario RPG. The Paper Mario games were rather weak compared to Mario RPG in terms of environment and scope, and it seems like Nintendo has made the Paper Mario series into more of a platformer now (for the better), so there's room to make a real sequel to Mario RPG. Also, they need to release Ogre Battle 64 on the VC. I believe it's Square that owns the rights, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Joystiq says Geometry Wars: Galaxies is coming to Wii and DS. I would have figured Microsoft owned the rights to that but I guess not.

smashbros.com is now up and ready to browse. Nothing too new to add, except look at the list of composers.

Here's a few that raises a few eyebrows:

Akihiro Honda (Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.) Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns Of The Patriots / Metal Gear Solid Portable OPS

Jun Fukuda (grasshopper manufacture inc.) killer7 / contact

Masafumi Takada (grasshopper manufacture inc.) killer7 / GOD HAND

Masato Kouda Monster Hunter / Devil May Cry

Seiji Momoi METEOS / The Glory of Hercules III - The Silence of Gods

Tomoko Sasaki (TOKIOHEIDI) NiGHTS

Yasunori Mitsuda (PROCYON STUDIO CO., LTD.) CHRONO TRIGGER / XENOGEARS

Yoko Shimomura Kingdom Hearts series

Yuzo Koshiro (ANCIENT) ActRaiser / Street of Rage

Let the wild speculation begin!

Those just might be other games those composers have worked on. I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet, though I'm wondering, has any kind of date been annouced yet?

Out of Metroid, Smash Bros. and Mario, I knew Nintendo wouldn't deliver all 3 this year but I really thought it would be Metroid that got delayed. As it is I am guessing Mario gets pushed into next year, while I would assume Smash Bros. gets the annual "big Nintendo game of the year" Monday before thanksgiving launch.

Those just might be other games those composers have worked on. I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet, though I'm wondering, has any kind of date been annouced yet?

Yeah, these are just games the composers have worked on. Curiously left out of Yuzo Koshiro's credits are the Sonic games. Gee, now which of this guy's credits seem most likely to be relevant to SSBB?

SSBB is a 2007 title.

Incidentally, my Wal-Mart has overhauled and expanded its Wii section. The section for Wii accessories is now huge. The games area is pretty darn big now (granted, the actual content is a bit lacking, but that's Wii right now...), while the PS2 stuff has been shoved into a section that's as tiny as possible. The big bargain bin that previously was filled with PS2 games (and a few GC/XBox games) appears to be gone, at least for now.

The 360 section isn't so bad either, although there's lots of Xbox1 stuff there.

PSP selection is modest.

PS3 has a dinky endcap that is partially used for overflow of PSP stuff.

Out of Metroid, Smash Bros. and Mario, I knew Nintendo wouldn't deliver all 3 this year but I really thought it would be Metroid that got delayed. As it is I am guessing Mario gets pushed into next year, while I would assume Smash Bros. gets the annual "big Nintendo game of the year" Monday before thanksgiving launch.

Nintendo said today all 3 are 2007 titles.

Nintendo said today all 3 are 2007 titles.

And Mario Galaxy is Decemberish, as mentioned a while back.

So I'd say Smash Bros is October.

Naah, almost every year they have their "big Tuesday before Thanksgiving (or sometimes Tuesday before the week before Thanksgiving) release". It isn't always their biggest game of the year but it is usually something big.

1994: DKC

1995: DKC2

1996: DKC3

1997: Diddy Kong Racing

1998: Ocarina of Time

1999: Donkey Kong 64

2000: Banjo-Tooie (this would have been Majora's Mask but they moved that up to compete with the PS2 launch so they switched it with this game)

2001: Gamecube came out Sunday 11/18, so there was no big release during the week

2002: Metroid Prime

2003: Mario Kart: Double Dash

2004: Metroid Prime 2

2005: Mario Kart DS (first time it was a handheld game in the spot, although I suspect if Twilight Princess hadn't been delayed it would have had this spot)

2006: Wii came out Sunday 11/19, so nothing there either

But it just makes sense! Now what doesn't make sense is releasing Galaxy in December. Nintendo never releases a huge seller like that after Black Friday. I just can't see such things happening. Especially since they wouldn't want either game to distract from the other.

So guess who was taking some time out to hang around NYC and found out that the Nintendo store had daily shipments of Wiis, then took advantage of this by buying one, Twilight Princess, and WiiPlay for the extra Wiimote? That's right, a whole bunch of people because when I went back to the store they were all sold out.

But of course since this was a daily thing, I just got one the next morning. Looking forward to Zeldaing it up.

I can't believe six months later these things are still hard to find. I mean this is a classic Nintendo move dating back to the 80's, but I'm just shocked that demand remains so high for Wii.

I know I'm a little late on the Ninja Gaiden topic, but I just wanted to add something to it.

I played the NES Ninja Gaiden as a kid, and I loved it. The only part of the game that I really found hard and frustrating was the final boss. That was the only part of Ninja Gaiden I could never beat, I'd always get to him...then he would kick my ass and I'd get frustrated because you'd have to re-do some of the level leading up to him and that level was a pain in the ass, but that was the only part of the game that I actually found "hard". And this was when I was..I think 5 or 6 years old.

I got Far Cry: Vengeance yesterday. Man they were not kidding about this game looking N64-quality. The draw distance is some of the worst I've ever seen. But it controls well and it gives me hope that someday there may be a really good FPS game on Wii.

So in playing things that aren't bowling (the only thing I ever played for any length of time before owning a Wii), I now see I don't have a steady holding and aiming grip with the wii remote. I guess I'll keep training with WiiPlay shooting gallery (love the Duck Hunt references).

I hope that game has single character combat. I'm sick and tired of these awful, real time battle RPGs that rely on ridiculously bad AI. They can be fun, but are ultimately frustrating due to the need for the AI characters to be useful.

The IGN review for the Wii version of Mortal Kombat Armageddon is up:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/792/792147p1.html

Apparently the Wii controlls *shockers* actually work decent for a fighting game. At least, a fighting game named Mortal Kombat. As a fairly big MK fan, it's a big pick-up for me, the added Khameleon is a bonus too (Chameleon, though, could die and I wouldn't care). Shame it sounds like they didn't fix anything else that was wrong with the game.