TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

Well you guys have your updates on Fridays or something so I guess.

Monday = WiiWare, Wednesday = XBLA / PSN. For memory reasons I'll probably go with the XBLA version.

Edit: XBLA version delayed until the 1st. Lame.

There are two WiiWare games up today which look somewhat interesting. The first is the new Bomberman game, which is almost always good unless you try to make it all Xtreme like the 360 game. The other is a new Nintendo-published game called Orbient: Art Style which is a remake of a Japan-only GBA game that was part of the "bit Generations" series and which I don't think had even been announced before being released.

The rumor is that it's coming out in 2011. Which it probably is. Nintendo releases their consoles on a five-year cycle. But there's no way they announce that today. They would never announce a new console three years in advance. The new DS is far more likely, though I still don't think that's a lock.

Their conference in Japan starts in under three hours, I think.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

PUNCH OOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHH

I also don't understand the "Gamecube Masterpiece Series"

Gamecube games can be had for really cheap and can be played on the current console...so adding waggling controls and putting it in a white case makes it worth $50? NOT.

Pikimin is the first game but you have rumors that the next "new" Zelda game will just be a Wind Waker Wagglefest. No thanks

Punch Out looks pretty damn awesome though.

And a spring 2009 update will allow loading directly from SD cards as a storage solution. Sadly its limited to 2GB but you can get 2 GB cards now for like..$5 a piece.

And a spring 2009 update will allow loading directly from SD cards as a storage solution. Sadly its limited to 2GB but you can get 2 GB cards now for like..$5 a piece.

That last part there = win for me.

Especially since I downloaded those Strong Bad games off of Wii Ware. 300+ blocks each ep. @_@

NOT SO FAST!

They NEVER said "Load directly from SD cards." They said, "You can download games directly to SD memory." And then "Copying games from SD memory to Wii memory is much faster."

Still hoping you can load games from the SD card.

Gamecube games can be had for really cheap and can be played on the current console...so adding waggling controls and putting it in a white case makes it worth $50? NOT.

Has $50 price point been stated? I would expect 30 bucks, actually. Also, Miyamoto had proposed this ages ago, so it's just the first we've really heard as part of an actual product line.

Also, there's precedent for this already: Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition and Resident Evil 0 (in Japan). The latter wasn't a huge hit, but there are some titles that Nintendo can probably make safe bets on--Pikmin 2's aftermarket demand is huge, for instance.

In Japan, Pikmin will cost $36 (3800 Yen). They're also releasing DK: Jungle Beat, which I've never played and have long thought would have been a better fit for Wii than that "Barrel Blast" thing if they had to take a Bongo game and awkwardly shoehorn Wii controls into it.

Still, $36 is a lot to ask for a rerelease of a seven-year-old game. But you have to figure there are a lot of Wii owners out there who never had a Gamecube, so why not? If Nintendo actually had a real hard drive, I'd think this is the sort of thing that would be good for a download service. But such are the dreams of fools like I.

EDIT: In addition to those two, they're also going to be releasing:

Pikmin 2

Mario Power Tennis

Chibi Robo

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2

Those games should be $19.99.. $24.99 tops.

Also, there's precedent for this already: Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition and Resident Evil 0 (in Japan). The latter wasn't a huge hit, but there are some titles that Nintendo can probably make safe bets on--Pikmin 2's aftermarket demand is huge, for instance.

I think RE0 didn't sell as well because it was a direct port with no huge changes to gameplay (ie: using the reticule for the gun pointer, etc). They're apparently doing the same (direct port) with the Gamecube REmake (RE1) soon too.

I'm now hearing from a number of sources that you WILL be able to play games off of the SD card.

Who the hell knows. We'll see in Spring 09.

I'm glad to hear they're bringing out GC games again. It's like goldust trying to get the decent ones over here.

EDIT: Oh and the SD card idea was a concept I thought they could do where you just format an SD card to be synced with that individual Wii and run right off that. It seemed like one of the easiest ways they could give more memory & keep piracy to a minimum.

Quick overview of some purchases recentley:

De Blob - Qualitly litlle game and totally worth the 30 quid price tag. I'm proper adicted to this game at the moment. It's a whole load of fun. The controls work really, really well and the soundtrack is awesome. Highly recommended.

Trailer: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QaS-1TTYdPA

Footage: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8W3xVNnRGtc

WarioLand: The Shake Dimension - Excellent 2D platformer. A bit easy in places but for the most part is a great game to play.

Mega Man 9: Jesus, this game is fucking hard. Anyone else think that this is a bit too hard?

I think the third screen of the second (I believe) Wily level is one of the most frustrating pieces of gaming in a while. It's jumping between blocks with more blocks right above your head that have sparks flying around them. If you're off by an inch you fall below to land on and or get hit by some Mets. It seriously gives me flashbacks to the original Ninja Turtles game.

I'm gonna get the Wii for my 27th birthday, and what I need to know is, where I can go to download old school NES games from yesteryear. I wanna download these games, and more.

Pinball

Mario Bros.

Balloon Fight

Popeye

Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular

I know I probably missed it, but where can I download these games onto the Wii?

I'm gonna get the Wii for my 27th birthday, and what I need to know is, where I can go to download old school NES games from yesteryear. I wanna download these games, and more.

I don't follow how looking for illegal roms and owning a Wii go hand in hand unless this is an oddly worded question about the Virtual Console library.

Pinball

Available on VC.

Mario Bros.

Available on VC as well as every GBA Mario port ever.

Balloon Fight

Available on VC.

Popeye

Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular

As both games involve licensed characters, if and when they will ever appear on VC is unknown (and they will likely cost 100 extra Wii points if they do).

Guest Smues

I've been out of town and away from my Wii, but apparantly Shining Force II came out last week and Secret of Mana today? FUCK YES.

Wii Music is getting some reviews rolling in. IGN 5/10!!!

Regardless of the score, I'm checking out some game footage...and seriously--fuck you Nintendo.

The music *quality* is just flat out horrible, nevermind the lousy music selection.

Thing is I'm just not arsed about those sorts of games. I don't see the hype over Wii Sports, bowling was fine but that was about it. Wii Play only had two good games on it and Wii Fit was not that good either.

I just see these games and let them slide straight past me, ignoring them as they past while I play good games like De Blob.

You're really taking this whole "casual gaming" thing pretty hard, aren't you, Andrew.

I was talking specifically about my reaction to the videos of it.

The song selection is cheap old junk, bad pop and public domain. Ok, that's not so bad by itself (because at least the classical stuff is cool):

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/10/1...ding-videos.htm

However--having your own classic game tunes turned into crap? Really?

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/16/w...lda-theme-tune/

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/22048

It's not just cheap; it's cheap and sounds like crap.

To quote a poster from another board:

It feels less like Nintendo catering to the casual audience, and more like taking advantage of their ignorance.

That Wii Music tracklist is amazing. It has freakin' "I've Been To Paradise But I've Never Been To Me," the song Edie sang at Julie's brithday party in the first season of Desperate Housewives. Now that's a winner.

Sorry Andrew, I still think this game could be fun. Big Dumb Fun. And 1up liked it a lot. I'm sure you can pull out some reason why 1up is disreputable, but we can do that for every game site. Which isn't to say that rating from IGN is without merit. After all, a 5.0 from IGN is like a 2 from a normal gaming site. So, maybe Nintendo made a game that isn't very good by your standards, or Matt from IGN's standards, because it isn't aimed at you or him. There's nothing nefarious about that. If the casual gamers decide that Wii Music is a lot of fun, does that validate Nintendo's approach? Or does it just make the gamers morons?

I think COD: World at War and The Conduit are two games that are going to tell us just how serious the Wii is going to be.

Conduit, maybe. High Voltage is making a real effort to make an FPS that stands up to what the other consoles are doing. If it succeeds maybe that will prove that Wii is an effective platform for those games if you actually put some time and care into it rather than shitting out a cheap port of Far Cry or Brothers in Arms.

CoD: World at War, on the other hand, probably shouldn't be on Wii. Those PS3/360 games that get ported down to Wii because the publisher wants to make a few extra bucks rarely, if ever, turn out well. Actually, this new Call of Duty shouldn't even exist at all. Infinity Ward makes CoD, not Treyarch. I know Activision wants a new game in the series every year, so they alternate between dev teams, but all it's going to do is water down the franchise. Remember when Medal of Honor was a really big deal? That was only a few years ago. Now there are so many of them that when a new one comes out, it's just business as usual. Activision should have just waited until next year for CoD5. It may mean less money now, but in 5 years they'll know it was the right decision.