TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

That Star Fox cartoon was pretty funny, thanks for sharing.

I'll be happy when more N64 games that I don't have already start showing up.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles costing exta? I mean it's a great game and I love it (and will defend it's honor to the death), but it's not worth the six bucks they charge for it. If I had a better paying job, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat to show my support for the game, but as it stands, the extra money just for licensing fees is too much.

Guest Smues
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles costing exta? I mean it's a great game and I love it (and will defend it's honor to the death), but it's not worth the six bucks they charge for it. If I had a better paying job, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat to show my support for the game, but as it stands, the extra money just for licensing fees is too much.

I'm sure that's exactly why it costs more.

So the one person singing praises of the game is down on it because it costs an extra $1 than the other NES VC releases?

I think I'll wait until Battletoads to get my VC masochistic NES platforming on.

I did get Dragon's Curse, though. Pretty fun so far, but the backtracking when you die is annoying, especially when you get hit by cheap hits (damn cloud guys).

Guest Smues

Battletoads at least was fun despite being impossible. It took me forever just to be able to beat the 3rd level, yet I still rented it all the time because I had a blast with the first two levels, and trying to beat the third. TMNT on the other hand it took me forever to beat the 2nd level, and it sure wasn't fun trying.

Battletoads: even with a game genie, the farthest I got was the tower that constantly rotates as you jump from ledge to ledge with numerous flying things coming at you.

TMNT: yeah, once you get passed that damn water level, it's pretty much smooth sailing...as LONG as you can keep Donatello healthy.

I'm only passing on it because I already own the game. Trouble is I don't have an NES to play it on, except at a friends house, and who goes to a friends house to play single player games? I'm mostly just waiting for games I already haven't played to death before anyway, like Beyond Oasis or Bonk's Adventure. If I bought TMNT, I'd play it for like an hour and then let it rot for on the system memory, like I did to Sim City and Super Mario Bros.

EDIT: And I'm not suggesting anybody to buy the game unless they already know what they're getting into. The game is hard and cheap at times. And if you don't like it, that's just your opinion, just don't unfairly say the games sucks just because of it.

And what I don't support is raising the prices of certain games, especially one that gets the hate of TMNT does. It'll be like if every Rare game released from here on out will cost 200 points extra so Microsoft can profit from them as well, no matter what Rare game it is, be it Donkey Kong Country 2, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye 007, BattleToads, Killer Instinct, or Snake Rattle and Roll.

The extra cost on TMNT kind of sucks.

But what really sucks is that XBLA offers a far, *far* better value with its TMNT game.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but in "real money" isn't TMNT XBLA cheaper? 5 bucks vs. 6 bucks?

The more I see of Super Paper Mario the more I think it's going to be really incredible. There's a space shooter level!

I'm conflicted when it comes to BattleToads. It's muddled by some of the most infuriating gameplay tangents you'll ever come across, but I'll be damned if it isn't a complete game, in terms of presentation. The character design is hilarious, the graphics (for the NES at the time) are tremendous, the sound and music is great, and the animations go a long way in disguising what ultimately amounts to a mediocre beat 'em up.

The first NES TMNT game hits a similar pitfall - the water level with the bombs is a real buzzkill, but the rest of the game holds up remarkably well as an action/adventure title.

(having never played it...)

What's so hard about this water stage?

I remember Nintendo Power being very very detailed in its coverage, however.....

You swim around and try to diffuse bombs that are set to blow up a dam. Your character maneuvers around like a pregnant whale, you have to try to avoid ruthless hit detection from the electric seaweed (I wish I could say I was making that up), and there's a time limit ticking down through the whole thing.

Not only is it a real pain in the ass, but it's also a complete curveball when it comes to the pacing, as it's the second stage of the game.

oy, aggrevating level! Especially when you consider that a lot of little kids were playing this game at the time and you go and throw that at them early on in the game. I, myself, walked away from that game for years because of it, only to play later and get through it. What sucked was losing at least 2 turtles there and then only being able to recover 1 of them on the 3rd level. The 3rd level, of course, was the biggest level of the game and you had to go to the most obscure of locations to recover just 1 of your turtles.

If you get around to playing it, Eric, I recommend using Mike and Raph on the water level.

I noticed that guy using Donatello and I wondered why.

Ahh the NES tricks, getting in and out of the Turtle Wagon to make the enemies dissappear :P

oy, aggrevating level! Especially when you consider that a lot of little kids were playing this game at the time and you go and throw that at them early on in the game. I, myself, walked away from that game for years because of it, only to play later and get through it. What sucked was losing at least 2 turtles there and then only being able to recover 1 of them on the 3rd level. The 3rd level, of course, was the biggest level of the game and you had to go to the most obscure of locations to recover just 1 of your turtles.

If you get around to playing it, Eric, I recommend using Mike and Raph on the water level.

I know people think I am BS-ing when I say it but I have only lost a turtle on the water board like 3-4 times. I always get through it with one turtle. usually ralph because he is expendable. Its the rest of the game that annoys me.

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles is an on-rails shooter. Shoulda fuckin' known.

Resident Evil 4 is also coming to Wii, and will have the Ada missions.

So if you don't own a previous version, then look for the GC visuals + the added PS2 content.

This is a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation right now. Third parties are ONLY interested in cashing in with awful ports with very little effort put into them. Then, if they sell well, the third party will want to keep doing cheap ports, and if they don't sell well, the third party will say they can't compete with Nintendo on a Nintendo console and abandon it like the Gamecube.

EDIT: Found this interview with Miyamoto about this very thing. He knows the score.

http://ncroal.talk.newsweek.com/default.asp?item=549476

If there's only one piece of advice that I could give to the managers of third party companies, it would be that a lot of times it seems that when they're putting games out on Nintendo hardware, those games are being developed by their third-string team or their fourth-string team. Maybe that's because they see those products as being unique projects or somewhat smaller-scale projects. But when Nintendo puts out a title that is designed to really support and sell its hardware, that title is always developed by one of our number one teams. And so I think that when it comes to the question of trying to compete with our software, I would really like to see the parties try to do that with their number one teams rather than with the third- or fourth-string teams. [Laughs.]

If the only AAA-caliber titles on Wii turn out to be Nintendo games, I won't exactly be crying in my soda pop.

However, it does appear to be true that developers aren't even reaching the max of the *Gamecube*s potential with their Wii games, let alone the additional power Wii offers (which, let's face it, isn't much, but it's there).

Guest Queen Leelee

Meh. Well, at least EA didn't halfass with their Madden port. And Tiger isn't that bad, either.