TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

I saw the 360 HD-DVD drive listed for $199, so wouldn't that make up the 360 (complete package) cost just as much as the PS3? Originally I though the HD-DVD drive was only supposed to be $100, but ads have it listed at $199.....?

Funny, because here the basic PS3 only costs $50 more than the premium XBox 360. They both come with with a 20 gig hard drive, and the PS3 has the HDMI port and blu-ray playback obviously. So essentially the basic PS3 is a better package than the premium XBox 360 by quite a bit, and it only costs $50 more. Add the HD-DVD drive to the 360 (which makes it roughly equivalent to the PS3) and the XBox costs $150 more than the PS3.

It'll be interesting to see how much the new 360 with larger HD and HDMI port costs.

The "cheap" 360 has the hidden cost of a memory card, which runs 50-60 bucks, and without the hard drive it has no capability of playing xbox games. There's a good reason it's called a Tard Pack. It's 100 bucks cheaper, but the value is awful.

PS3's backwards compatibility kind of sucks next to PS2 (rumbleless games all, less games work, and certain key PS2 games look like ass), but at least you play them on either SKU.

The "new" 360 has a bunch of extra holes in it, but honestly I don't think it will matter save for tech geeks. We're still a ways away from those "cooler running" processors still, right? Supposedly late '07 on that, from what I heard.

How was Clash?

Kuma can win in DR. There's some that like him, there's probably more Kumas then Armor King players.

So Resistance is moderately fun, definitely no Gears of War, and doesn't hold a candle to any half decent FPS on a PC. Had some pretty sweet moments from what I played and looked spiffy (we were playing it on an HDTV but I'm not sure if the game was doing 720p or 1080p, can it do 1080p?).

However, I must echo the sentiment that playing an FPS on a console WITHOUT rumble/force feedback is fucked up. It's weird cause I never really notice it these days, but when it's gone it sure distracts from the experience.

The "cheap" 360 has the hidden cost of a memory card, which runs 50-60 bucks, and without the hard drive it has no capability of playing xbox games. There's a good reason it's called a Tard Pack. It's 100 bucks cheaper, but the value is awful.

PS3's backwards compatibility kind of sucks next to PS2 (rumbleless games all, less games work, and certain key PS2 games look like ass), but at least you play them on either SKU.

The "new" 360 has a bunch of extra holes in it, but honestly I don't think it will matter save for tech geeks. We're still a ways away from those "cooler running" processors still, right? Supposedly late '07 on that, from what I heard.

Aren't there pictures floating on the net that show the HDMI output on the back of the 360?

The whole thing with the add-on is that it might cost more than the PS3 20GB (only $50 more), but Microsoft isn't forcing you to buy it to play games. If you want to play on a PS3, you have to get the BR player. If you want to play on the 360, you don't have to get the HD-DVD player.

And for a HD-DVD player, $200 is cheap. You are paying $400 for the 360, $200 for the HD-DVD player. Same price as the PS3.

The official company line is that the new xbox is something that they're "researching" and isn't anything resembling a finished product yet.

Which could be just BS PR speak for "will be announced a few months from now at the latest."

MS patently denied any plans in a larger hard drive, but considering the expected size of GTAIV DLC, I expect they'll appear in time for that. Companies always stammer, lie, and cover up information about upcoming products when that info is leaked.

How was Clash?

Clash was poorly run and dragged on forever, but it was fun. The final 8 was hot because there was so much character diversity. I love that about DR; so many characters that you can win with at high level. Julia top 3, clearly the game is great! The finals were so good, I hope they get vids up quickly. Mojo's Marduk is so sexy, and it was crazy seeing him actually beat Crow, and in a great match too.

I'm trash though and went 1-2, got eliminated by a Marduk, didn't know what to do about the tackles because no one I know plays Marduk. :(

And I learned I'm even more total gutter trash at TTT. I can't play that game at all anymore. It feels so clunky and off now; I can't move right, I can't do elbow combos, it was embarrassing. That's so weird, because going back to it after T4 was never a problem.

So I am assuming that the new XBox 360s will still be compatible with 1080i, for those of us 1080p-less?

Definitely. They aren't Sony.

Hahaha.

I wanted you to stop constantly tackling the people who were playing T4 for the first time because you'd make everyone quit, which they did. Poor guys are just trying to figure out the buttons and you're tackling them five times a round making it so they can't even stand up. That's almost as bad as doing multiparts on guys that don't know how to play. Oh wait, you did that too! Tekken killer!

New Guy: Hey Jer how do I use Paul?

Jer: Well, his best move is probably qcf and 2. Oh yeah, square is 1, triangle...

Eric: HAHA A MOMENT OF WEAKNESS! HE'S LOOKING AT JER! *TACKLE* YEAH I'M THE TEKKEN CHAMPION~!

Clash was poorly run and dragged on forever, but it was fun.

So it was like most DR tournaments. Has there ever been an event hosted by gamers that actually ran on time?

Julia top 3, clearly the game is great!
Of course. She is really good in DR. I love 4~2,1! Did you know about the trick to make it a NC? Slips uses it well.

I'm trash though and went 1-2, got eliminated by a Marduk, didn't know what to do about the tackles because no one I know plays Marduk. :(

I play Marduks and I still get owned by tackle. You're supposed to hopkick him out of it. In theory this is good but I suck and usually am too slow.

I just hate him. I hate the SS VTS bs and I hate d/b+1+2 uber high crush.

Of course. She is really good in DR. I love 4~2,1! Did you know about the trick to make it a NC? Slips uses it well.

No, but I'd like to. I was wondering how Slips kept hitting people with both hits. That sounds really good, like her best low.

I play Marduks and I still get owned by tackle. You're supposed to hopkick him out of it. In theory this is good but I suck and usually am too slow.

Oh okay. The guy I lost to told me I should be using f+3~1 to knock him out of it, but if hopkick works that's much higher reward since you don't even get a followup after f+3~1 anymore.

I just hate him. I hate the SS VTS bs and I hate d/b+1+2 uber high crush.

Yeah I ate tons of d/b+1+2. He'd just throw it out after blocked elbows and I'd throw out some high (I think just 1,2) or something linear and lose lots of life.

You know how with 4~2,1 the high and the low at the beginning hit at the same time? The trick is that if only the low hits the 1 is guaranteed. You have to be in perfect range, almost as far as you can get so only the tip of her foot hits while her hand misses.

There's so many uses for this. You can actually punish some moves with it that have push back, like a deathfist. The 1 wallspats so you can get in the right distance and mix it up with elbow. You can use it for oki, like after the mad axes if they stand straight up they're in perfect position or after elbow hits dash up.

Only problem is if you screw it up you're getting launched.

Oh wow, that not only sounds really good, it also sounds like it'll be a lot of fun just to experiment with to create new mindgames. And it's just the same execution as normal, no special timing, just spacing?

Can't wait for console DR so I can mess around with it. Sucks there's no practice mode, though. Sounds like it'll be hard to practice on a computer doing stupid shit people would never do.

Yeah, just spacing. It's awesome....feels great to do it against the wall.

Arcadia just ranked her 3rd in their tier list. For months I've been saying she is great in DR with one of the best wall games. I barely ever play Lili anymore.

Otherwise known as the game of the year. No, the game of the decade. The one single game that puts PS3 ahead of the other next gen systems. The greatest fighting game ever made. The one and only T5DR!

You forget about DBZ!...

Seriously, though--Wii doesn't have a stellar fighter. When it does get one (presumably not until SSBB), it's going to be a button pressy thing, too.

For Anya at least, Tekken 5 HD is at least a compelling reason to get the system--something both 360 and PS3 are lacking for me. I'm glad she enjoys it.

The more I hear about 360, the more my brief Wii60 fervor has fizzled out. I can expect 360 to get many of the same games as PS3, looking virtually identical, but aside from that the exclusives are space marine-invested, first-person-shooty things. For 60 bucks. And microtransactions out the ass. And a heavy chance that the thing will crap out in a few months. Lots of noise. $60 games. etc, etc.

If I could get a PS3 right now for 300-400 bucks, and PS1 game downloads didn't require me to own a PSP to use them, and the controller wasn't the absolute worst out of the big 3, I'd strongly consider it. However, it isn't, they do, and it is. I'm just not e for next gen.

For Anya at least, Tekken 5 HD is at least a compelling reason to get the system--something both 360 and PS3 are lacking for me. I'm glad she enjoys it.

The more I hear about 360, the more my brief Wii60 fervor has fizzled out. I can expect 360 to get many of the same games as PS3, looking virtually identical, but aside from that the exclusives are space marine-invested, first-person-shooty things. For 60 bucks. And microtransactions out the ass. And a heavy chance that the thing will crap out in a few months. Lots of noise. $60 games. etc, etc.

If I could get a PS3 right now for 300-400 bucks, and PS1 game downloads didn't require me to own a PSP to use them, and the controller wasn't the absolute worst out of the big 3, I'd strongly consider it. However, it isn't, they do, and it is. I'm just not e for next gen.

Wait, what?

You can't play downloaded PS1 games on the PS3?

And microtransactions out the ass. And a heavy chance that the thing will crap out in a few months. Lots of noise.

Right and Nintendo isnt selling you old games out the ass with prices of:

NES Games - $5

SNES - $8

N64 - $10

Genesis - $8

TurboGrafx-16 - $6

Could you please show me some sort of proof that there is a "heavy chance that the [360] thing will crap out in a few months."? Ive had mine since launch with no issues. And what kind of two year old thinks it's loud? It's not like I can even hear it while playing games, or any other time for that matter.

Oh wait, I forgot you're the biggest Nintendo Fanboy on this board.