TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

EXACTLY.

Sony has *never* revealed units sold for any of their systems, be it the PSP or PS3 or whatev.

This is what these stories mean!

Excuse me for not being excited about the latest anecdotal evidence. Give me a break. No one is on the edge of their seat waiting for updates about some random Best Buy. PS3s are in stock. We get it. Nobody will know what is going on until the next NPD is out.

That's why I can't wait for the numbers. Even if it's bad news. Seeing Nintendo fans celebrating over real data would be slightly less annoying then the blind hysteria.

I was joking.

They could have used HD-DVD and how does that exactly change the price? $200 is the estimate on how much the BD-ROM is adding to the PS3 price and XBox 360's HD-DVD addon is..$200. Besides, why would Sony put a rival product in their video system? Blu Ray is a better technology than HD-DVD anyway.

$200? Then why do BR players cost $1000 while HD-DVD players cost $500? It doesn't look like BD-ROM cost $200.

Is Sony using the PS3 to push it's BR technology? Of course! Is it a bad thing? Not really. Whether or not the average gamer can afford $600+games+accessories right now doesnt matter. Over time it will keep up with it's only real technological competitior (XBOX). The biggest mistake Sony made was not having ANY quality launch games to set it apart from Xbox and Wii

Well seeing how their track record of pushing new formats isn't very good (Betamax, UMD, Mini Disc. Those are all I can think of but I believe there are more).

If they were smart, they wouldn't have used BR. Now if BR wins the war, then I will be eating my words.

I just think it's stupid of them to do this.

EXACTLY.

Sony has *never* revealed units sold for any of their systems, be it the PSP or PS3 or whatev.

This is what these stories mean!

These stories don't mean anything, since we won't know anything until we actually get NPD numbers. For all we know, there are more PS3s left in stores than Wiis because there are more PS3s being shipped to stores than Wiis. And hell, we don't even really know there are even more PS3s left in stores than Wiis. All we really know is that people that see PS3s left in stores are more likely to take a picture of it so they can gloat on the internet.

That said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Wii does sell better than PS3 in January. But until we know, we should all just shut up about it, heh.

And on a much more important note, American DR got delayed?! Grr! :(

They could have used HD-DVD and how does that exactly change the price? $200 is the estimate on how much the BD-ROM is adding to the PS3 price and XBox 360's HD-DVD addon is..$200.

Mole suggested that Sony use HD-DVD instead of BD. Which doesn't change anything about the price. Suggesting that Sony make the BD-ROM an addon, now that changes things.

Link?
vgcharts.org

Of those 50 PS3's that I mentioned last week, we still had about 40 of them at my Best Buy this past Tuesday. They aren't selling.

They've sold 70,000 less units than the Wii in the last couple of weeks, and that's only 2 markets compared to 3 for the Wii. Oh, but they're not selling at all~!~!

$200? Then why do BR players cost $1000 while HD-DVD players cost $500? It doesn't look like BD-ROM cost $200.

If Sony was using HD-DVD rather than BD-ROM, who knows what they'd sell the PS3 for. The suggestion that them using HD-DVD or BD-ROM would make things alright is silly though. They needed to just offer the BD-ROM as an addon so they could sell the system for less.

Let's say that hypothetically, the only reason there are so many PS3's sitting on the shelf at stores IS because Sony is just shipping lots more. The problem with that is that is still hurting them. Going into a store and seeing a huge wall of PS3's sitting there and no Nintendo Wii's creates a certain kind of preconcieved notion that the PS3 is not desireable and the Wii is. It may not be true, but that's still the kind of feeling that may be arising. Look at how people have labeled Nintendo as "kiddy" or "Childish" because of their flagship titles. There were plenty of mature games on the gamecube: Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, etc. But because of that preconcieved notion of them being kiddy, they were hurt by it.

As for people jumping all over it, Sony has invited this kind of attitude on themselves. If they weren't so insufferably arrogant and so prone to overhyping every stinking thing they do, people wouldn't be so eager to bring them down. It's called comeuppance.

I guess people aren't willing to work 2nd jobs and take out new mortgages on their houses after all.

As for people jumping all over it, Sony has invited this kind of attitude on themselves. If they weren't so insufferably arrogant and so prone to overhyping every stinking thing they do, people wouldn't be so eager to bring them down. It's called comeuppance.

The reason people are jumping all over it is the price, lets be honest here. Which makes sense I guess, if not for Sony's track record, which I'd think would give them some benefit of the doubt. That people were so easily willing to turn on the company that produced the 2 best gaming systems of all time, and basically saved the gaming world from Nintendo's bullshit, really says a lot about the character of the gaming populace. Maybe people just have short memories, which would also explain why Nintendo's tyranny (which was much, much worse than Sony's arrogance) while they were on top, is so conveniently forgotten these days. Yea, lets go back to the days of Nintendo ruling with an iron fist, things were so much better then.

The reason people are jumping all over it is the price, lets be honest here. Which makes sense I guess, if not for Sony's track record, which I'd think would give them some benefit of the doubt. That people were so easily willing to turn on the company that produced the 2 best gaming systems of all time, and basically saved the gaming world from Nintendo's bullshit, really says a lot about the character of the gaming populace. Maybe people just have short memories, which would also explain why Nintendo's tyranny (which was much, much worse than Sony's arrogance) while they were on top, is so conveniently forgotten these days. Yea, lets go back to the days of Nintendo ruling with an iron fist, things were so much better then.

Yes, because Nintendo is the exact same company it was, under the exact same leadership, as 15 years ago. But you forget that Nintendo has already gone through this before, with people quickly forgetting all the positive things they've done and only going with the negative things, and abandoning ship. And then it was adapt and change strategies, or die.

And they have adapted, very well so far. I think the DS proves this.

I owned a playstation, I still own a playstation 2. I'm not denying they were great systems with quality libraries. But the fact is that Sony NEEDS to fail this time, because just like Nintendo after the SNES, they need to be humbled if they are to remain even remotely competetive in this industry, or they will be left behind doing the same old song and dance they have done for the past 3 generations.

Sony's same old song and dance is having a bunch of big-time exclusives that sell millions a piece. I really don't see the negatives. Nintendo failed because they were a bunch of jackoffs and pissed off some 3rd party developers, screwed Sony around and then released an out of date, piece of crap system. I can say all of that because it's in the past. The 7th generation of gaming is like, 1 year in, and only 2 months in for 2 of the systems. Hardly enough time to make any sort of reasonable opinion on how things are going to turn out. If people want to make a big deal out of these 2 months and proclaim the PS3's death, I'll direct them to go look at the list of upcoming Wii releases. It's fucking brutal and might be indicative of god-awful 3rd party support and a lack of quality software. But there's no sense if making a big deal of it, because the system has been out for a mere 2 months.

Mole suggested that Sony use HD-DVD instead of BD. Which doesn't change anything about the price. Suggesting that Sony make the BD-ROM an addon, now that changes things.

I also suggested DVD, but you of course negleted that.

If they used HD-DVD, it wouldn't change the price, but Sony wouldn't be losing so much money on each system.

Yeah, I'm also curious what sort of same old song and dance Sony has been doing that needs to be changed. Because to me, Sony did pretty much nothing wrong with the PS2, and it ended up being the best selling videogame system of all time with one of the best libraries of all time. And with PS3, Sony made a mistake rolling their new format into the system and thus raising the price, but other than price, I'm not seeing a whole lot wrong here either. This isn't Nintendo with N64, there is nothing inherently wrong with Sony's hardware or Sony's relationship with third parties. It's *just* price.

Sony's same old song and dance is having a bunch of big-time exclusives that sell millions a piece. I really don't see the negatives. Nintendo failed because they were a bunch of jackoffs and pissed off some 3rd party developers, screwed Sony around and then released an out of date, piece of crap system. I can say all of that because it's in the past. The 7th generation of gaming is like, 1 year in, and only 2 months in for 2 of the systems. Hardly enough time to make any sort of reasonable opinion on how things are going to turn out. If people want to make a big deal out of these 2 months and proclaim the PS3's death, I'll direct them to go look at the list of upcoming Wii releases. It's fucking brutal and might be indicative of god-awful 3rd party support and a lack of quality software. But there's no sense if making a big deal of it, because the system has been out for a mere 2 months.

I mean in terms of hardware. Sony has done 2 things consistently in all 3 systems: They have pushed a relatively new format, and they've increased power. Pretty no-brainer stuff in terms of what to do. And the problem lies in that we're approaching a brick wall in terms of power, in fact, this may be the generation of that wall, but if not this, then the next for sure, when hardware power increases alone won't be enough. What will they do then? Developers already are complaining about the ballooning development time and costs due to the graphic demands the public now expects. Do you want a game to take 10 years to be developed in the future? Because that's where this road is headed, where people expect to see every eyelash and every pore on a characters face, and AI so complex it makes having friends play with you obsolete. And when and if a game takes 5-10 years to make, it gets harder to make a risky game that takes chances, because the people footing the bill have spent so much money and want to be GUARANTEED they will make that money back so they go to what worked before.

And if Sony's big trick was having big-time exclusives, I think we can effectively assume those days are dwindling from all the recent announcements. Nintendo may be the only company that truly has big name exclusives in the future due to them developing their titles themselves.

That people were so easily willing to turn on the company that produced the 2 best gaming systems of all time, and basically saved the gaming world from Nintendo's bullshit, really says a lot about the character of the gaming populace. Maybe people just have short memories, which would also explain why Nintendo's tyranny (which was much, much worse than Sony's arrogance) while they were on top, is so conveniently forgotten these days. Yea, lets go back to the days of Nintendo ruling with an iron fist, things were so much better then.

Man, that SNES sure was bullshit.

I'm in no way hoping for, or advocating, a return to Nintendo dominance. The NES was, a few dozen gems aside, often a brutal wasteland of terrible games.

SNES v. Genesis--that was fantastic. Two extremely competitive consoles with great games and great 3rd party support. A big part of it was Sega kicking Nintendo's ass for a part of the era.

And what the hell are you talking about, painting a picture of Sony riding in on a white horse with the Playstation? Nintendo wasn't even in the picture, if you forget (N64 was late to the party). Sony saved us from Sega's complete, ****ing incompetence. I was immensely glad to buy a Playstation after being the unfortunate owner of a 32X and a (secondhand) Sega CD.

In a roundabout way, Sega's incompetence is to blame for N64. Nintendo had a major paranoia over disc-based media, because they saw how it turned out for their competition. It's a big reason they went with the non-standard Gamecube discs.

Not that I'm not saying the N64 was a disaster. It was. We know how well carts went over for the 3Ps. However, have some perspective here. It was nothing compared to the leadership of the lobotomized chimps running Sega then. Sega went from NUMBER 1 one generation, to two failed semi-systems, and a console that was dead on arrival in the United States.

Although, Nintendo has a lot of blind loyalty going for it. Many older gamers happily remember the good times with the NES (and almost none of the bad). Being a retro-gamer often means gushing big-time over NES releases. On the other hand, how many die-hard Atari fans, or even Sega fans do you come across on the web? Not too many. Nintendo often gets love for being "old school," even if the golden years fans fondly remember resulted from Yamauchi selling his soul for his company's success.

I remember getting a PS1, then seeing Mario Kart and trading it in for a N64. I then beat that and a few other games. Then was at my friends house and played Tony Hawk (don't know which one), which I loved. I then traded in all my N64 games and N64 for a PS1 and TH.

I mean in terms of hardware. Sony has done 2 things consistently in all 3 systems: They have pushed a relatively new format, and they've increased power.

Yeaup. Glory be to Sony fer dem new fangled see-dees in da Playstashun. If it werrent for dem, we might be a'chiselin' moosik and games on dem dere phonygraph records.

;)

Increasing the power of the hardware is a natural and logical progression. And quite frankly, it's amazing that the PS3 and XBox 360 cost what they do, considering a PC with enough power to run games with high graphics settings at 1280x720 resolution would likely cost at least $2000. Sony fucked up by sticking the BD-ROM into their system, which drove up the price to a level where people don't want to buy it without any quality software available. It might end up being a good move 3 or 4 years down the road, when DVDs will be outdated in terms of storage space, but it was a terrible short-term move.

;)

Increasing the power of the hardware is a natural and logical progression. And quite frankly, it's amazing that the PS3 and XBox 360 cost what they do, considering a PC with enough power to run games with high graphics settings at 1280x720 resolution would likely cost at least $2000. Sony fucked up by sticking the BD-ROM into their system, which drove up the price to a level where people don't want to buy it without any quality software available. It might end up being a good move 3 or 4 years down the road, when DVDs will be outdated in terms of storage space, but it was a terrible short-term move.

I know, but that's why I said it was kind of a no-brainer. The hardware will always be getting more efficient, but the generation after this coming one (PS4, Xbox 720, Wii 2timestwice) it's not going to be much different each generation, and that's where the current attitude of Sony's will fail. I don't want Sony to leave the console industry, as I believe competition is good, but it doesn't hurt for it to be a close race. If Sony has a failure with the PS3, that will leave them hungry for the PS4 and we'll see something truly special. You dig?

In the long-run, games sell the system, not the hardware, so I don't think Sony producing "something special" would really make a difference. It could bite them in the ass if they think they have to keep producing powerhouse systems, because then the prices could get out of control, which would then start greatly affecting sales. But they're not going to go down the tubes just because they release the "same old same old - now with added processing power~!". They'll go down the tubes if they lose 3rd party support, just like Sega and Nintendo.

But as it is, the storage space of Blu-Ray has only come in handy for...duplicating the data on the disc to overcome how comparably slow the drive is (see: PS3 Oblivion).

Nintendo often gets love for being "old school," even if the golden years fans fondly remember resulted from Yamauchi selling his soul for his company's success.

I personally think Yamauchi was responsible for the company starting to get served near the end of the 90's and the beginning of the 2000's.

But as it is, the storage space of Blu-Ray has only come in handy for...duplicating the data on the disc to overcome how comparably slow the drive is (see: PS3 Oblivion).

Yes, the technology at this point is superfluous for games. And the masses aren't exactly clamoring for a high-def movie format. The BD-ROM in the PS3 was definitely a big blunder and while it might end up coming in handy somewhere down the line, it will always be a blunder in the context of this time-frame.

Nintendo often gets love for being "old school," even if the golden years fans fondly remember resulted from Yamauchi selling his soul for his company's success.

I personally think Yamauchi was responsible for the company starting to get served near the end of the 90's and the beginning of the 2000's.

The revenge of Metroid Guy!

If Yamauchi dies by being trapped underground in a huge, abandoned Japanese subway, it will be really eerie.

Yes, the technology at this point is superfluous for games. And the masses aren't exactly clamoring for a high-def movie format. The BD-ROM in the PS3 was definitely a big blunder and while it might end up coming in handy somewhere down the line, it will always be a blunder in the context of this time-frame.

Way to take a bold stance, Captain Compromise.

I've seen nothing to suggest Nintendo has changed their ways. They still charge insane prices for their products. A few years ago they sold NES games on GBA for full price. They are charging 250 for Wii, which is only not an outrage because everyone else is worse. They're still behind with online play. They still update their portable hardware and resell it bi-yearly. They still have mysterious "shortages". The only thing they don't do anymore is bully 3rd parties and that's because they have no leverage anymore. Old man Yamuachi retired but it's the same company with the same philosphy.

It's not cheap for what you're getting. That's why Reggie was bragging about how much profit they're making. Good for their business, not good for you.

It's less expensive then what MS and Sony are selling. That doesn't make it cheap or a great value.

I think it's a great deal. And I got a game, which they never do anymore.

So is the PS3 and 360 overpriced? How about ANY system that was released?

You didn't get a game for free, you know. The Japanese paid less with no game.

I don't like PS3's price because I don't care about Blu Ray. It's not "overpriced", I guess it's a fair value. 360 being 400 was ok.

I didn't? Then what was that game called Wii Sports doing in the box?

So the system was $200 and the game was $50. Okay, still a good deal.

I know how stubborn you are, so no matter what I say, you'll say it's overpriced. I think it's a great deal.