TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

Besides, I'm betting that anyone who spends that much on a CPU JUST for gaming is either independently wealthy or has no sense of moderation (or a life for that matter) whatsoever.

There was a CES Special on G4 last night (OMG I WATCHED G4) and Dell has a $5,000 GAMING computer with some sort of super liquid cooling technology that keeps the CPU 9 degrees celcius cooler than the normal model, and a really fancy case with lights and and all that other crap that no one in their right mind would really care about except gamers.

Someone who buys that might be doing other things with it, but they didnt buy it with any other thing in mind besides PC gaming.

Alienware has a sub $2000 laptop for gamers thats going to have a blu ray drive. I see no point in hd-dvd or blu ray drives in a laptop as small as the screens are.

But my point is, all I ever heard initially was "600 dollars! Thats outrageous" and yet theres a subset of the same demographic of gamers who pay out the whazoo for a gaming PC.

When the "Uber Hardcore PC Gamers" market reaches the double digit million mark let me know. Sony wasn't intending for the PS3 to be purchased by a subset of a subset of gamers.

I see no point in hd-dvd or blu ray drives in a laptop as small as the screens are.

Because they're used for stuff other than watching movies.

The drives? Is there any other software or anything on either format? It wasnt a drive that could burn media.

When the "Uber Hardcore PC Gamers" market reaches the double digit million mark let me know. Sony wasn't intending for the PS3 to be purchased by a subset of a subset of gamers.

It already is.

You're confusing people who trick out their systems compared to the $500-600 dollar computers that can run most games right now. WoW for example or hell, look at Counter Strike or Half Life. Only people who need tricked out computers are ones who want to run Half Life: Lost Coasts with everything on (yay, my computer can) which is a minimum 2Ghz computer, 1GB ram and a bad ass video card. But it's only a tech demo and isn't what developers will use for any commercial game. Though the new Flight Simulator is a beast.

I don't think people understand how dominate PS2 was. Bringing up all the broken consoles doesn't even begin to spin their lead last gen. There was no war, it outsold Xbox and GC combined.

No, but the PS2 had plenty of crappy games on the console, plus whatever solid games they had, they were also released on the Xbox. Playstation came out a year early, and it really took Microsoft nearly two years to become a credible system. At the end of 2004 and beginning of 2005, most games were made for the Xbox (minus EA those assholes) and crappier versions of say Splinter Cell were released to the PS2 and Gamecube.

(I have no qualms with GC. The layout design of the controller blew ass, but had a lot of fun games).

Other than RPG games, is there anything else that is PS2 or PS3 exclusive?

Fighting games.

Guest Ninja

Devil May Cry, Ratchet and Clank, Jak, Sly Cooper, Gran Turismo, SOCOM, MGS3...

It already is.

You're confusing people who trick out their systems compared to the $500-600 dollar computers that can run most games right now. WoW for example or hell, look at Counter Strike or Half Life. Only people who need tricked out computers are ones who want to run Half Life: Lost Coasts with everything on (yay, my computer can) which is a minimum 2Ghz computer, 1GB ram and a bad ass video card. But it's only a tech demo and isn't what developers will use for any commercial game. Though the new Flight Simulator is a beast.

Marvin was the one who said that people have no problem dropping 2G's on gaming systems, so he didn't think $600 for the PS3 was that expensive. I know a lot of people who play computer games on their do-it-all home system. I don't know a single person who owns a $2000+ gaming system, and it should also come as no surprise that I don't know anyone who owns a PS3 right now either although basically everyone I know has an XBox and/or PS2 at home.

But none of them are any good, or they were once good and really should stop making them, or has a better concept on the XBOX.

SOCOM is a really piss poor Tom Clancy game, that I have no idea why its so good.

Guest Ninja

Yeah, I was basing those titles mainly on sales. Guess you can scratch out Devil May Cry and Sly Cooper and add God of War.

I don't think people understand how dominate PS2 was. Bringing up all the broken consoles doesn't even begin to spin their lead last gen. There was no war, it outsold Xbox and GC combined.

No, but the PS2 had plenty of crappy games on the console, plus whatever solid games they had, they were also released on the Xbox. Playstation came out a year early, and it really took Microsoft nearly two years to become a credible system. At the end of 2004 and beginning of 2005, most games were made for the Xbox (minus EA those assholes) and crappier versions of say Splinter Cell were released to the PS2 and Gamecube.

(I have no qualms with GC. The layout design of the controller blew ass, but had a lot of fun games).

Are you honest to God saying that PS2 had an issue with its GAME LIBRARY?!

And that XBox got all of the "solid" games?

That's so blatantly wrong it isn't even funny.

And picking Splinter Cell as being vastly superior on Xbox is ridiculousy biased. That's one of the, oh, 1 in 50 games that were better in Xbox in major non-graphical ways. Even when PS2 version is inferior it usually sells better, anyway.

XBox is really awesome if you like space marines, though.

Yea that Gran Turismo isn't any good. The act is tired and lame, give it up.
It's only the top-selling first-party franchise ANY of the consoles have. Yeah, give it up, Sony.

"Devil May Cry, Ratchet and Clank, Jak, Sly Cooper, Gran Turismo, SOCOM, MGS3..."

But none of them are any good, or they were once good and really should stop making them, or has a better concept on the XBOX.

LOL

PS2 has/had the best fighters, best RPGs, best action games, the best oddball quirky Japanese titles, the best horror games, best platformers, best selection of compilations, etc. That's not even counting the PS1 games it plays, too.

XBox has...oh...maybe the best selection of FPSers, and a bunch of other PC-ish genres like WW2 squad shooters. PS2 kicks its ass in every other area.

It's okay. You can admit you liked the games that were made for Sony's shitty hardware.

Andrew, I was directing my (sarcastic) comment at the intellectual juggernaut who posted those comments :) But yea, Gran Turismo 3 is like the 11th best selling game OF ALL TIME (GT1 is 19th, GT2 is 24th, GT4 aka GTA3v.2 is 29th). It'd also be pretty hard to argue that it wasn't an utterly fantastic game, but I'm sure that moron will come up with something. OVERHYPED! IRRELEVANT GAME~!~! I'd imagine it's just a troll job though. Maybe I'm naive, but I'd hate to think that someone could be that clueless.

Andrew, I was directing my (sarcastic) comment at the intellectual juggernaut who posted those comments :)

Yeah, I assumed that was the case, but not everyone knows its popularity. Everyone's heard of it, but not everyone knows just how well it sells.

Plenty of PSP owners are allegedly pissed at how that version of the game is *STILL* stuck in limbo when it was announced before PSP launch.

Target had three PS3's just sitting there last night. Still no luck on the Wii front around here though.

I saw 4 at Best Buy today.

I still think that at least 50% of GT's hype and sales are based upon how freakin' good GT1 was.

Every itineration has seemed worse by comparison, let alone better...

Are you honest to God saying that PS2 had an issue with its GAME LIBRARY?!

And that XBox got all of the "solid" games?

That's so blatantly wrong it isn't even funny.

And picking Splinter Cell as being vastly superior on Xbox is ridiculousy biased. That's one of the, oh, 1 in 50 games that were better in Xbox in major non-graphical ways. Even when PS2 version is inferior it usually sells better, anyway.

XBox is really awesome if you like space marines, though.

Yea that Gran Turismo isn't any good. The act is tired and lame, give it up.
It's only the top-selling first-party franchise ANY of the consoles have. Yeah, give it up, Sony.

"Devil May Cry, Ratchet and Clank, Jak, Sly Cooper, Gran Turismo, SOCOM, MGS3..."

LOL

PS2 has/had the best fighters, best RPGs, best action games, the best oddball quirky Japanese titles, the best horror games, best platformers, best selection of compilations, etc. That's not even counting the PS1 games it plays, too.

XBox has...oh...maybe the best selection of FPSers, and a bunch of other PC-ish genres like WW2 squad shooters. PS2 kicks its ass in every other area.

It's okay. You can admit you liked the games that were made for Sony's shitty hardware.

The Xbox was/is a better system for reasons completely illegal though. It is probably the greatest video game system ever with linux installed on it.

Look, I think we can ALL agree on something.

If we can't all conceed that the PS3 is an overpriced piece of shit, at least we can agree that it is OVERPRICED?

Clearly these units are not moving at the rate they were moving as preorders, when people were seeing them as sources of profit, not gaming.

Sony found the magic number, and it seems to be $500.

Then again if they had launched with, I don't know, one MUST HAVE game, this would all be avoided. A Final Fantasy, MGS, or SOMETHING. It would move units, and auxillary games like the ones that are actually out now, would have a greater chance of moving.

not to mention Final Fantasy X, XII, Okami, Bully, Kingdom Hearts, God of War (though the latter didn't tickle my fancy, people love it).

Seriously, if someone thinks that PS2 has a problem with quality game library, remind me to never ever trust their opinions on games again. The worst you can say is there was a lot of crap *alongside* all the great titles.

Seriously, if someone thinks that PS2 has a problem with quality game library, remind me to never ever trust their opinions on games again. The worst you can say is there was a lot of crap *alongside* all the great titles.

Precisely. But that's pretty much any game system. And for all of the nostalgia there is for the NES, it had some of the most ****ing terrible games ever made on it, and lots of them.

The PS2 had perhaps the best library of any system in history. Only the SNES even comes close. There were a lot of flaws with that system, but anybody trying to argue that the games were a weakpoint of the PS2 obviously doesn't know what they are talking about. That was the big advantage the PS2 had over the X-Box. Everything good on the X-Box you could get either for the PS2 or the PC. They may not have been quite as good, but you could still get them. But a large number of the best PS2 games you simply couldn't get elsewhere. If you wanted to play them (legally), you had to have a PS2.

Precisely. But that's pretty much any game system. And for all of the nostalgia there is for the NES, it had some of the most ****ing terrible games ever made on it, and lots of them.

The NES days were much worse as there was much less information available to be able to research games before and after release, and even the good games looked pretty crummy. At least now it is reasonably easy to figure out what games are the terrible ones before you ever need to play them.

Overheard at a store last week in reference to the PS3 bombing:

If you have any money in your pocket at the end of this year, you'll have made more money than Sony did.

I don't think he knew what he was talking about, since I understand the concept of a loss-leader, but if the system isn't selling well, he still might be right.

I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks.